G-Kevin Martin
    C-Amare Stoudamire

EAST

F-Lebron James
    F-Kevin Garnett
    G-Ray Allen
    G-Andre Iguodala
    C-Josh Howard

Only yuichi would take Al Harrington over Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Martin over Allen Iverson in the west. And I'm not saying that because of home team bias.

And once again, It's DWIGHT Howard, not JOSH Howard at Center in the East.

• MyLatency - every Suns game I've watched this season, Brian Skinner has just come out and run all over good players on both ends. He plays good defense and doesn't give up on plays. I saw one game where he got a block, a rebound, an assist, another rebound and a dunk in 2 posessions. The guy is a hustler, I like him.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    MyLatency - every Suns game I've watched this season, Brian Skinner has just come out and run all over good players on both ends. He plays good defense and doesn't give up on plays. I saw one game where he got a block, a rebound, an assist, another rebound and a dunk in 2 posessions. The guy is a hustler, I like him.

YESSS! Skinner has an offensive game, too. GO SUNS! I also find it amusing that every conversation about him by the broadcasters starts with his two tone Ying Yang Twinz goatee and quickly changes to "whoa that was a great block!" or "whoa he just shot a 3!"

haha!

YESSS!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    teams have quickly figured out what to exploit with skinner though. on offense, he's probably about the same as kurt thomas was-- a good second or third option if the pic and roll or drive and kick falls apart, although his mid range jumper isn't quite as accurate as thomas'. on defense, he is the better C on the suns in the post, but his footwork isn't quick enough to keep up w/ the likes of duncan or some of the more explosive sf/pf types. 10 feet away from the rim he tends to be clueless, his help response is slow and non-effective, and his understanding of stick or rotate on the pic-and-roll is non-existent.
    It really depends on the team, he's effective against the likes of the heat when the game plan is to push the ball inside, but with teams like the spurs or the mavs that have so many jump shooters that get hot 10-12 feet out, he's lost.
    it's a big weakness of the suns between him an amare-- amare gets over compensatory on d and picks up stupid fouls, but skinner is ineffective on mid-range d. unfortunately, it's rare that both are on the court at one time to pick up each others weak spots b/c it slows down the offense too much.

• The way I'm hearing it though, Skinner's performance against the Spurs the other night contradicts what you're saying here... I didn't watch the game though, so maybe mylatency can shed some light.

4pts., 4reb, 1 block in 12:40, on 2-3 shooting and a +/- of -4. he has had better games this season, but this one

not bad for a backup who they are hardly paying, but nothing to shit yourself about.

• Oh, yeah I guess he wasn't too much in the mix that game. I wasn't trying to indicate earlier that I thought this guy was the next bench center for the all star game or anything, but he is a surprising contributor off the bench at times. He's versatile. Is he the guy that should be putting the lock on a Tim Duncan? Probably not. But I'm sure the Suns can use whatever help he offers.

• OK, something I've been meaning to ask here. How does this +/- shit work? This is new to the NBA as far as I know. I never heard people using the +/- for basketball statistics before and never paid attention to it in other sports (it's used a lot in Hockey, right?). Color me disconnected, but I don't understand that shit.

What is the Lenovo +/- Stat?
    The Lenovo Stat shows the power of teamwork. It's a way of showing the best-engineered/best combination of players on the court. The Lenovo Stat is a plus/minus statistic that looks at the point differential when players are both in and out of the game, to see how the team performs with various combinations. The Lenovo Stat can look at a variety of combinations including the best two player, three player and even five player combinations for each game.
    http://www.nba.com/statistics/lenovo/lenovo.jsp

edit: so, relative to other players on the suns and their playing time in that game, the team averaged four less points when skinner was on the court: +/- = -4

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Just chose my Allstar Starters:

WEST

F-Tim Duncan
    F-Al Harrington
    G-Kobe Bryant
    G-Kevin Martin
    C-Amare Stoudamire

EAST

F-Lebron James
    F-Kevin Garnett
    G-Ray Allen
    G-Andre Iguodala
    C-Josh Howard

I'm a Warriors fan but there's no way Harrington deserves to be an all-star.

LOL @ pretty much the whole list.

• What is the Lenovo +/- Stat?
    The Lenovo Stat shows the power of teamwork. It's a way of showing the best-engineered/best combination of players on the court. The Lenovo Stat is a plus/minus statistic that looks at the point differential when players are both in and out of the game, to see how the team performs with various combinations. The Lenovo Stat can look at a variety of combinations including the best two player, three player and even five player combinations for each game.
    http://www.nba.com/statistics/lenovo/lenovo.jsp

edit: so, relative to other players on the suns and their playing time in that game, the team averaged four less points when skinner was on the court: +/- = -4

Oh OK, I thought it was something like that, I just wasn't sure how they come up with the numbers. But that makes sense. It basically exists to show how effective a certain player is as a team member (as opposed to juts looking at their individual stats). Thanks.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Just chose my Allstar Starters:

WEST

F-Tim Duncan
    F-Al Harrington
    G-Kobe Bryant
    G-Kevin Martin
    C-Amare Stoudamire

EAST

F-Lebron James
    F-Kevin Garnett
    G-Ray Allen
    G-Andre Iguodala
    C-Josh Howard

I'm a Warriors fan but there's no way Harrington deserves to be an all-star.

Al Harrington may be a stretch to be an Allstar, but I think he deserves some shine. AI, Melo, yawn. They're gonna get their votes and be Allstars. One trick ponies. Same with Vince.

• AI, Melo, yawn. They're gonna get their votes and be Allstars. One trick ponies.

You have got to be one of the lamest basketball fans in the world.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    teams have quickly figured out what to exploit with skinner though. on offense, he's probably about the same as kurt thomas was-- a good second or third option if the pic and roll or drive and kick falls apart, although his mid range jumper isn't quite as accurate as thomas'. on defense, he is the better C on the suns in the post, but his footwork isn't quick enough to keep up w/ the likes of duncan or some of the more explosive sf/pf types. 10 feet away from the rim he tends to be clueless, his help response is slow and non-effective, and his understanding of stick or rotate on the pic-and-roll is non-existent.
    It really depends on the team, he's effective against the likes of the heat when the game plan is to push the ball inside, but with teams like the spurs or the mavs that have so many jump shooters that get hot 10-12 feet out, he's lost.
    it's a big weakness of the suns between him an amare-- amare gets over compensatory on d and picks up stupid fouls, but skinner is ineffective on mid-range d. unfortunately, it's rare that both are on the court at one time to pick up each others weak spots b/c it slows down the offense too much.

I would add that Amare doesn't appear to be a very good team defender either.

Plus the Suns don't believe in fouling guys when they get right to the basket because it slows up the game for them when they want to constantly push it even after made baskets.

AI, Melo, yawn. They're gonna get their votes and be Allstars. One trick ponies.

Denver ain't never winning any rings with that cast. Last year wasn't it, this year isn't it. In less than 3 years, that team is gonna begin to dismantle.

Ofcourse the Allstar Game is a popularity contest. I just included the less obvious choices.

• AI, Melo, yawn. They're gonna get their votes and be Allstars. One trick ponies.

Denver ain't never winning any rings with that cast. Last year wasn't it, this year isn't it. In less than 3 years, that team is gonna begin to dismantle.

Ofcourse the Allstar Game is a popularity contest. I just included the less obvious choices.

I'm not mad at all, I just think you're lame. It might make me chuckle, but it definitely doesn't make me angry. Also, let's remember who's really mad around here. I remember last year you were about to cry because of the Kobe bashing that was happening. Talk all the shit you want about AI or Melo, you'll never see me act like a little girl like that.

You bring up the Nuggets in a pretty spiteful way. We weren't talking about the Nuggets whatsoever. We were discussing AI and Melo as individual basketball players. You decide to start shoveling shit all on my team just because you're mad about me calling you lame. Funny. If you knew anyting, you'd know the issues that the Nuggets are struggling with are not centered around their star players at all.

And finally, you say you "just included the less obvious choice". Uhh, Harrington would be the "less obvious choice" because he's not an allstar calliber player. What's next, you think Mehmet Okur should get the starting spot at Center because he's the "less obvious choice"?

HOLLA AT YO BOC CHOI!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And finally, you say you "just included the less obvious choice". Uhh, Harrington would be the "less obvious choice" because he's not an allstar calliber player. What's next, you think Mehmet Okur should get the starting spot at Center because he's the "less obvious choice"?

Starting guard Sasha Vujacic--less obvious, yet so right.

Starting guard Sasha Vujacic--less obvious, yet so right.
    as long as you justify this with "DESERVES SHINE"

s

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nice game at the half between Celts and Pistons ...

Chauncy Billups, meet Rajon Rondo

These refs are garbage, though.

Now watch out for that second half pull-away, Drewn!

These refs are TOTAL garbage

Pistons end the Celtics' 12 game home win streak,
    on Billups hitting 2 free throws with the game tied
    and literally 1/10th of a second left in the game.

Crazy game, playoff atmosphere at times, refs were AWFUL
    but the Pistons were raining threes and came on STRONG in
    the fourth quarter. Celtics almost stole it but let it get away.
    Celtics have three losses this season, and 2 were to Detroit.

Gonna need some work before the playoffs, no doubt.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

And the refs sucked.

And the refs sucked.

You were watching, huh?

Seriously - both teams were livid with the refs.

Celtics lost though because they let the Pistons
    dictate the style of play, and went slow and ticky
    tacky instead of attacking, which is their strength.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I got a Pistons AND a Knicks victory tonight?

Man though, great game in Boston. It's good to see that the Celtics have players who can step up when they need it. Rondo was a standout and House was clutch near the end, not to mention the game Allen put together. The game ended in classic form. That's how Billups eats in the game. This would make an excellent Eastern Conference Finals series.

FYI - This is the first time the Cs have played the Pistons. Their other losses were to Orlando and Cleveland.

Gotta show some love for New York tonight.

They needed this one.

FYI - This is the first time the Cs have played the Pistons. Their other losses were to Orlando and Cleveland.

If you had asked me, I would have said that, but I heard
    the dude on TV say it right as I was posting ... maybe their
    last home loss (last season) was to Detroit? Or maybe he was
    just wrong and I passed on the bad info.

Anyway, yeah, great game but a lame finish - after Allen hit that
    ill 3 to make it 85 all I thought we were gonna steal it.

By the way, rooting for Pistons AND Knicks?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    By the way, rooting for Pistons AND Knicks?

I have a vested interest in their prosperity.

I have a vested interest in their prosperity.

You should get this jersey of your favorite team:

wow, Detroit won? I fell asleep at the half.....