Why are there no rap albums coming out?

Comments

• sergserg 682 Posts

I'm looking forward to the Field Mob album and the Young Dro album (which is supposed to come in August).

that new field mob has some moments. 1,2,3 is probably my favorite track on it but for the most part the album is pretty softhands.

where the fuck is a Kyleon album. that shit needs to drop.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm looking forward to the Field Mob album and the Young Dro album (which is supposed to come in August).

that new field mob has some moments. 1,2,3 is probably my favorite track on it but for the most part the album is pretty softhands.

That's too bad--I thought they went a little far with the faux-Outkast/crossover material on the last one, and was looking for this to be the record where they really nailed it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Really? My co-worker is amped that he's getting this cd tonight.

What do y'all think of that new Young Joc?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

And on that note, whats up with Chris Ward and Magno these days?!?

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

What are yalls thoughts?

rap is 1 letter away from....crap

I would be surprised if more than one or two people on this board had heard it.

Magno = signed to "Desert Storm South" = never coming out

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ^It's too bad, Magno aka "the black zach morris" is funnier than Paul Wall.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "Desert Storm South"

Bwhahaha.

Joc is better than i expected, but not great by any means. And I concur with Serg's assesment of the Field Mob, I will not be checking for their shit in the future.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

I would be surprised if more than one or two people on this board had heard it.

I'm certaintly no expert, but I do get to hear all the new albums when they come out because my coworker gets boots as soon as they're available. She let me listen to this yesterday and the best song IMO is the single (maybe just cause I've heard it the most).

I've also seen him in interviews and he seems like a very humble guy which contrasts with some of the stuff he's rhyming about. It's got the current ATL feel, which if you're into, I guess you'll like. I thought it was cool, but I wouldn't buy it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Magno = signed to "Desert Storm South" = never coming out

In the meantime, check for Rapid Ric's debut single Pullin Up featuring Magno and Chalie Boy.

I guess I'll just get someone to burn those CD's for me. Dude I work w/ claims that these are 'the new Southern classics'.

"Desert Storm South"

Bwhahaha.

Joc is better than i expected, but not great by any means. And I concur with Serg's assesment of the Field Mob, I will not be checking for their shit in the future.

I wonder what the softhands deej thinks of it?

I guess I'll just get someone to burn those CD's for me. Dude I work w/ claims that these are 'the new Southern classics'.

Someone is straightfacedly proclaiming the Young Joc album to be a "New Southern Classic"?

Not that I've heard it or anything, but...

Someone is straightfacedly proclaiming the Young Joc album to be a "New Southern Classic"?

I'm dead serious.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Yung Joc is alright.. beats are decent, raps are whatever. The ice cube is mediocre, but its selling well here in LA. The DJ Khaled is alright too...

Nothing mind blowing. THe T.I. was probably the peak for this year, but we'll see.

Cosign on looking for indie acts now. It seems to be pushing more to an indie type game than anything else as far as albums.

• sergserg 682 Posts

Really? My co-worker is amped that he's getting this cd tonight.

well if your coworker was a fan of their Sick Of Being Lonely type stuff then he might like it. Out of 15 tracks I only like maybe five of them (1,2,3, My Wheels, Pistol Grip, Area Code 229, and Georgia). The bad tracks really suck like the corny Kelis ripoff joint, I hate you. then they got some weak collabs thrown in with ciara and bobby valentino but I guess 12yr olds need something to listen too.

what I've heard of that young joc has got me thinking his record is fucking boring.

people are buying that ice cube record? wow, I don't have enough dedication for that.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    In the meantime, check for Rapid Ric's debut single Pullin Up featuring Magno and Chalie Boy.

Goddamn, that shit is good.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Not that I've heard it or anything, but...

Are you getting soft?

You need to hear something before you pan it?

You need to man up. (PM me)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "Desert Storm South"

Bwhahaha.

I wonder what the softhands deej thinks of it?
    I haven't heard it but I didn't like Georgia, which I thought was pretty corny. I thought "Sick of Being Lonely" was dope though. Jazze Pha used to be not-annoying.

Now that I have an office job my hands really are soft.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    That All Good Funk Alliance/Swamburger collab album is a nice companion piece to the new Coup album.

The new KRS-1 is better than Keep Right, but that's not saying much.

The new Radioinactive isn't as epic as Free Kamal, but nice enough.

Sway's This is My Demo is a happy medium between more traditional UK hiphop and grime styles. He has a good sense of humor and is easy to understand compared to some of those cats (for an american english dude, anyway).

I'm really excited for the next Count Bass-D album on Fat Beats.

That All Good Funk Alliance/Swamburger collab album is a nice companion piece to the new Coup album.

Sway's This is My Demo is a happy medium between more traditional UK hiphop and grime styles. He has a good sense of humor and is easy to understand compared to some of those cats (for an american english dude, anyway).

No offense.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Count Bass D has his moments.

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    The era of 5-10 above-average to "classic" albums dropping in one calendar year are over. The labels have watered down the game so much that for every T.I. or GFK that drops, we have to suffer thru 100 below-average releases. Most artists seem to only be able to make 1-3 quality songs per album and the rest are average to below-average (i.e. Yung Joc).

On a side note, I can remember when I was in college (1990-1995) and you left school for the Summer and came back in the Fall, you'd have at least 6 joints to debate on whether they were "classics" are not. Times have changed!!!

Count Bass D has his moments.

fanboy rap

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The era of 5-10 above-average to "classic" albums dropping in one calendar year are over. The labels have watered down the game so much that for every T.I. or GFK that drops, we have to suffer thru 100 below-average releases. Most artists seem to only be able to make 1-3 quality songs per album and the rest are average to below-average (i.e. Yung Joc).
    Your perspective is fascinating and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I love how people forget how much shitty rap there was in (every year rap existed ever)

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

No offense.

heh, none taken.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Also Lloyd Banks next album.

Your perspective is fascinating and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I love how people forget how much shitty rap there was in (every year rap existed ever)

Well, I don't entirely agree with him, but he doesn't seem to be suggesting that there weren't an awful lot of bad rap records in previous eras. What I think he is saying is that there are not as many solid rap albums as there used to be, and I think it's tough to contest that rap as a whole has largely moved on from being album-oriented. The truth is that the focus on albums was really an anomalous ~8 year window within rap's almost 30 year recorded history.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    funny you guys mention ray cash. I just got his P.A.N. single last night. His third joint thats been choking-up the dollar bins. "Me and my music" with Scarface is the best one.

did that "ooh wee" dude drop an album? I really liked that "why cry" joint with snoop and just blaze.

but yo I just think rap is on it's way out. i'm serious.