Why are there no rap albums coming out?

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I should also probably mention that I think I like snap music.

me too.

Jook jook yo boy... jook jook ya girl!

The fuck is wrong with snap music?

Ive never liked "I think they like me" but there's plenty of quality snap shit out there. Cop that "Snap or Die"!

• Is it objectively dead based on a sharp decline in retail sales?

You're so fucking tired.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Rap music is awesome/

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I should also probably mention that I think I like snap music.

me too.

Jook jook yo boy... jook jook ya girl!

"bobblehead"

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Plenty of that 'flawless album' garbage is contrived and 'classic album' status is 90% of the time granted in retrospect. Look at those old "committe for rap excellence" reviews that they still have archived online for some interesting perspectives on 'classic rap.' From their illmatic review:

In the end, this is a good album. I mean it ain't _It Takes A Nation
    of Millons to Hold Us Back_, but, then, what is? Look, this is more
    than just a collection of some for-the-moment phat beats. This will
    get more rotation in my ride than, say, Souls of Mischief--last year's
    new phat hype sensation--did.

I just don't buy that there was some mystical classic age of great albums and now all albums suck. .

They dont all suck, and anyone who says rap is "dead" is a tard. However, we don't have years like 1991 anymore:

Breaking Atoms
    Low End Theory
    Death Certificate
    Cypress Hill
    To the East Blackwards
    Quik's tha Name
    Future Without a Past
    Naughty By Nature
    We Can't Be Stopped
    De La Soul is Dead
    Efil4zaggin
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Remember going to the store and not having enough scratch to cop every good cd that had come out? When the fuck was the last time that happened?

Son you had no yaper in 7th grade. That's why you couldn't afford that blap. I'm not a hater of the "new" rap, shit I actually make money on it. You can't deny that even the good rap records of today aren't fucking with the early 90's albums as a whole though. I was excited that Busta had 5 songs I fucked with and that's where we are right now. Maybe I'm getttin tired of drug dealer rap and even better "real" drug dealer rap (jeezy, rick ross etc...) more than anything. I also really don't want to hear a beat with a 808 and keyboard horns ever again.

The real reason no rap albums are coming out is because all of them are flopping. Even with stupid airplay, spins and promo 40 is at 270K, Bubba Sparks 200 something etc.. The underground numbers are horrible too. Downloading and lack of quality control is really wrecking havoc.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You can't deny that even the good rap records of today aren't fucking with the early 90's albums as a whole though.
    Nah I think I can. I mean its so unfair to set new records up against 'classic' ones, people don't even realize how arbitrary 'classic' status often is, and how hearing that an album is 'classic' helps them sand off the rough edges that they'll hear upon first listening to an album. And yeah those albums dude listed from '91 are all dope, but really, do you listen to them any more than you listen to new rap? I certainly don't; I get real happy when someone plays a throwback single or something, "the choice is yours" from that Black Sheep album or "RS Jam Named Saturday" from De la is Dead, but I've been hearing about how dope and CLASSIC low end theory is for so long and i've heard it so many times I just don't see the point in dwelling on that shit. I spend just as much time with all the 2004 rap albums I listed now as I did listening to those '91 albums when i was paying my rap nerd dues.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    That new Ghost album is a joke, aside from 3-4 tracks.

outrageous exageration strut.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    whatsup with freeway, where's he been?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Freeway had a g-unit mixtape that was pretty good though pfork rap writers didnt like it. The best songs were old though, like the one with Jody Breeze.

You can't deny that even the good rap records of today aren't fucking with the early 90's albums as a whole though.
    Nah I think I can. I mean its so unfair to set new records up against 'classic' ones, people don't even realize how arbitrary 'classic' status often is, and how hearing that an album is 'classic' helps them sand off the rough edges that they'll hear upon first listening to an album. And yeah those albums dude listed from '91 are all dope, but really, do you listen to them any more than you listen to new rap? I certainly don't; I get real happy when someone plays a throwback single or something, "the choice is yours" from that Black Sheep album or "RS Jam Named Saturday" from De la is Dead, but I've been hearing about how dope and CLASSIC low end theory is for so long and i've heard it so many times I just don't see the point in dwelling on that shit. I spend just as much time with all the 2004 rap albums I listed now as I did listening to those '91 albums when i was paying my rap nerd dues.

I'll take Low End Theory over any rap album made in 2005 or 2006. I listen to damn near everything that comes out but the albums that have come out this year have been hella dissapointing. There are still dope songs being made today but not dope albums. Its more of a result of rappers trying to run with the same formula of 3 girl songs, 1 weed song, 1 my hood song, 2 I'm stuntin songs etc.. Shit is just ridiculously predictable.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    [I'll take Low End Theory over any rap album made in 2005 or 2006.

There are still dope songs being made today but not dope albums.

Cosign squared.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

But what if you like new rap music and you've heard LET 304982094830 times?

I just listed like 10 albums from 2004 that I think are dope. I'm not gonna put them up against Low End Theory because its just not fair - Tribe's had 15 years to get people talking about how great they were, and I agree, Tribe=classic, but where's the fun in dwelling on it? Of all the albums I listed from '04, each is unique, intersting, and for the most part consistent. In 15 more years kids will have the same argument we're having now.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Cosign squared.

As per usual, I agree with the god Faux_Rillz when he astutely notes:

Rap as a whole has largely moved on from being album-oriented. The truth is that the focus on albums was really an anomalous ~8 year window within rap's almost 30 year recorded history

That ~8-year window just happens to be the window that so many of us were introduced to rap. So, perhaps contemporary albums as a whole aren't as cohesive and/or consistent as the classic albums from this true school golden era, but you're expecting rap music to live up to standards that it only lived up to for a third of its existence. Isn't that a bit unfair?

And before we go and criticize rap music for being so anti-album for much of its existence, let's be sure to criticize the previous black musics that privileged singles over albums as well.

-e

Suga Free - The New Testament
    Big Tuck - Purple Hulk
    B.G. - Life After Cash Money
    ESG - All American Gangster
    Daddy Yankee - Barrio Fino
    Z-Ro - The Life of Joseph W. McVey
    Federation - The Album
    Devin the Dude - To Tha X-Treme
    Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album
    The King of Crunk & BME Recordings Present Lil Scrappy & Trillville
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Trick Daddy - Thug Matrimony
    Eightball & MJG - Living Legends
    Lil Boosie & Webbie - Gangsta Muzik
    Some dude named Kanye, when he was funny.

Deej,

Of these albums, how many do you think will be given "classic" status in 15 years? Seriously?

I agree that time/history plays a huge role in determing what albums transcend the times but "Low End Theory" got 5 mics right out the gate. It didn't take 15 or 10 or even 5 years for people to lionize it. What makes it remarkable is that it's survived that initial rush to judgement and continues to be celebrated.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Why are so few singing the praises of San Quinn's album? I challenge any of you journalists/bloggers out there, who have as of yet given zero coverage to Quinn, to explain how The Rock isn't a great album.

This past year has been kinda light on the album tip, I can admit that, but I'd put the following up against any year and still expect a fair fight:

San Quinn - The Rock
    TI - King
    The Coup - Pick a Bigger Weapon
    Big Boi Presents...Got Purp? Vol. 2
    Chamillionaire - Sound of Revenge

I mean, how many good albums do you need?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Why are so few singing the praises of San Quinn's album?

Is your copy of that album different from mine?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Cosign squared.

thirded.

just to clarify. I never said rap was dead, that was someone else. I meant it doesn't hold an interest to me as it once did-I'm just not as excited about it.

not who's got a problem with that?

Cosign squared.

thirded.

just to clarify. I never said rap was dead, that was someone else. I meant it doesn't hold an interest to me as it once did-I'm just not as excited about it.

now who's got a problem with that?

...with you being a softhands R&B dude?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Cosign squared.

thirded.

you sound ass-hurt threatened.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Cosign squared.

thirded.

you sound ass-hurt threatened.

I don't think the dude is worried about you taking his softhands R&B crown.... yet.

But what if you like new rap music and you've heard LET 304982094830 times?

I just listed like 10 albums from 2004 that I think are dope. I'm not gonna put them up against Low End Theory because its just not fair - Tribe's had 15 years to get people talking about how great they were, and I agree, Tribe=classic, but where's the fun in dwelling on it? Of all the albums I listed from '04, each is unique, intersting, and for the most part consistent. In 15 more years kids will have the same argument we're having now.

Hommie I'm not dwelling on it at all. None of these albums will hold the weight any of the first 3 Tribe albums 100 years down the line. Rap isn't dead but if this is the cream of the crop we got problems.

Suga Free - The New Testament- Street Gospel is killing this album
    Big Tuck - Purple Hulk- don't know what this is but like Faux Rillz I'm hating
    B.G. - Life After Cash Money- not a big southern rap guy
    ESG - All American Gangster- ""
    Daddy Yankee - Barrio Fino- Really not fucking with this
    Z-Ro - The Life of Joseph W. McVey- good not great
    Federation - The Album- two extremely dope songs one garbage album
    Devin the Dude - To Tha X-Treme- good album
    Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album- I fuck with this album. Not a classic though
    The King of Crunk & BME Recordings Present Lil Scrappy & Trillville- nah
    Madvillain - Madvillainy- dope album
    Trick Daddy - Thug Matrimony- not for me
    Eightball & MJG - Living Legends- their wackest effort. they need tmix or whatever his name is
    Lil Boosie & Webbie - Gangsta Muzik- no idea
    Some dude named Kanye, when he was funny- I am Kanye apologist and bump both his albums.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Big Tuck - Purple Hulk
    Federation - The Album
    Madvillain - Madvillainy

Deej,

Of these albums, how many do you think will be given "classic" status in 15 years? Seriously?

I agree that time/history plays a huge role in determing what albums transcend the times but "Low End Theory" got 5 mics right out the gate. It didn't take 15 or 10 or even 5 years for people to lionize it. What makes it remarkable is that it's survived that initial rush to judgement and continues to be celebrated.
    I could see it happening with ESG, easily with Daddy Yankee, Z-Ro, Ghost, maybe Lil S and Tville for the beats, possibly any of the last 4 listed.

The problem of course is that now the rap press is willing to pay attention to more shit, so its harder to predict. Certainly there was lots of music from back back then then that everybody slept on because it wasn't from new york or whatever. So its hard for me to predict a consensus. But I guarantee that there will be plenty of millenial rap albums canonized. I mean if you want me to list rap albums that are dope since 2000, that are 4-5 mic material, i can come up with a huge list.

Why are so few singing the praises of San Quinn's album?

Is your copy of that album different from mine?

Say it ain't so. You don't like the album??? I know your tastes aren't as testosterone-driven as mine, but I figured you'd be on my side with this one.

Big Tuck - Purple Hulk
    Federation - The Album
    Madvillain - Madvillainy

Deej,

I could see it happening with ESG, easily with Daddy Yankee, Z-Ro, Ghost, maybe Lil S and Tville for the beats, possibly any of the last 4 listed.

Deej, you are picking some odd albums to use as the cornerstone of your argument. Daddy Yankee is no more rap than Sean Paul is, and Z-Ro, Trick Daddy and Eightball & MJG have all released substantially better albums than the ones you've listed. I agree that Li'l Scrappy & Trillville is already a minor classic, though.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Deej, you are picking some odd albums to use as the cornerstone of your argument. Daddy Yankee is no more rap than Sean Paul is, and Z-Ro, Trick Daddy and Eightball & MJG have all released substantially better albums than the ones you've listed. I agree that Li'l Scrappy & Trillville is already a minor classic, though.

Daddy Yankee actually raps, though.
    I disagree about Z-Ro having a better album, JWMV is his masterpiece to me.
    Trick Daddy and 8ball&MJG have better releases, but I think those two rank up with their best, especially the 8ball & MJG album which is totally underrated (and is definitely more of an *album* listen than a singles one.)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I could also see the case made for B.G.

03 was a crazy year too, just between Trap Muzik, The Black Album, Da Unbreakables, GRODT, Deliverence, Philadelphia Freeway, Mississippi etc.

I mean Odub, look back at the late 90s, when cash money and no limit were dropping so much shit, and trick daddy was releasing classics, and suavehouse, and 3-6, and bad boy was dropping their disco-dance thing. Nobody back then said there were lots of classic records, or they just rode the Rawkus thing. But looking back there is so much classic material from that period.

San Quinn, track for track:

1. Frisco Stand Up - Ya Boy kiils that 2nd verse - ****
    2. Hell Yeah - "this is a slapper, this is a slumper" - *****
    4. Planet Fillmore - the return of Seff tha Gaffla, plus I love when Quinn says "slap a backpacker that want to battle us" - ***
    4. Get Low - kinda corny, but Quinn's 2nd verse is heat beginning with "tell that nigga kill that noise/before I tell my hitters kiil them boys/and with that black-on-blak crime, I feel embarassed/when we leave these young kids without parents" - ***
    5. Look What I've for Them - powerful, powerful ish, undeniable - *****
    6. Put My Mind To It - this one doesn't do much for me, but it ain't all that bad either - **
    7. Run the Block - I love this one, Quinn's cadence is straight fiya, "honest you get demolished", plus I like his son joining on the chorus - *****
    8. Kick Yo Ass - the ex-jock in me can't get enough of this, "police pull me over to the right, talking bout my lights ain't bright" - ***
    9. It's a Done Deal - the more I listen to this the more I think it's amazing, Trax on the beat with Quinn effortlessly flying through a range of original flows - ****
    10. Do That For Me - this one's kind of a dud but Quinn is still able to drop gems such as "remeber Quincy, bitch, buck teeth, pimpled face, guess what, he done fuck around and got rich" - **
    11. So Young - very smooth and addictive - ****
    12. From a Gangsta Like Me - pretty boring overall - **
    13. The Hunter - 2006 meat-and-potatoes mob rap - ***
    14. That's Beef - there's something manic about this one that wins me over, plus Big Rich's verse is especially nice - ***
    15. Holdin' Back the Tears - this could be worse - **
    16. I Got Goons - not as successful as tracks #13 & 14, but I like the concept - **
    17. Tell Me What the Price Is - the chick on the chorus sounds absolutely desperate - **
    18. Way More Than They Can See - the one song on here that shouldn't have made the cut - *
    19. Pimps 'N Hustlas - "no fair for a square, they never could adapt to me" - ***

Add it all up and this is a damned good album.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    OK, I have the CD here at work. I'm gonna throw it on again and I'll get back to you.

But I'll say right now that "Hell Yeah" borders on perfect.

I mean if you want me to list rap albums that are dope since 2000, that are 4-5 mic material, i can come up with a huge list.

Uh, if that's the case, then we have a problem here. Even "back in the day", we weren't talking about a 'classic/5 mic/whateverthefuckyouwanttocallit' being dropped every week. Even then, an extraordinary album was still an extraordinary happenstance.

It might just be that you have much more generous ears than other folks around here and hey - that's all good. I'm glad people are so openly embracing of hip-hop even if I and other older fogies are less than enthralled.

But as you yourself indicate - it's very hard to gauge what albums will stand the test of time. There are some albums that personally, I think have aged quite well: "Low End Theory" or "Enter the Wu-Tang" for example. There are other former "classics" that feel more anachronistic to me - "One For All" or "To the East Blackwards". This said, I think we need to separate the idea of what will be a future classic from a slept-on joint that is destined to fly under the radar. Off that list you had, I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that any of those titles will be considered out-and-out classics in 10 years, the kind of album that you'd have a consensus around their classic-nes. For example, no one debates that "Ready to Die" was a classic at this point. Will people be saying that about, say, Madvillainly in 10 years? Not likely. It will end up being one of those albums where people in the know will know the deal but it won't have the stature to be much more than a cult album.

The problem is that today's hip-hopaudience is so larger and diverse, the idea of a consensus is practically fantasy except in those very rare cases that you can find an album that manages to transcent sub-genres, regional bias and whatever else. With that in mind, I doubt there's more than a couple of albums per year that will ever acquire that kind of status/reputation.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    they couldve cut out like 50% of the tracks on that san quinn. but the other 50% is heat.