Why are there no rap albums coming out?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    but yo I just think rap is on it's way out. i'm serious.

You cant kill what's already dead.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    funny you guys mention ray cash. I just got his P.A.N. single last night. His third joint thats been choking-up the dollar bins. "Me and my music" with Scarface is the best one.

That was the first single, it came out over a year ago... I'm looking forward to hearing dude's album.

did that "ooh wee" dude drop an album? I really liked that "why cry" joint with snoop and just blaze.

I just saw that single at the thrift yesterday, I hadn't thought about it in a while... he had a single w/Petey Pablo (I think?) before that. But he's probably been dropped, those came out a while back and made no noise. He was in that huge initial crop of Asylum singees that will probably see very few actual album releases.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

actually, I think rap is just on it's way out i]for me[/i].

young_jaded.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Ummm...no. Old people be quiet!

But seriously, they need to start actually putting out some albums.

B-Sides:

we're the same age, dude. Am i supposed to cling to rap music to remain, what, youthfull or something?

this isn't a commercial vs indie thing either.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Allow me to take this chance to cheerlead for this once again:

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

EXPLAIN THE PROJECT BLOWED CONNECTION OR YOU'RE SOFT!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Is all black black enough for faux_rillz?

EXPLAIN THE PROJECT BLOWED CONNECTION OR YOU'RE SOFT!

Tray Loc has seen them perform.

There are 4 tracks up on their myspace page at:

http://myspace.com/ngokmusic

I'd love to hear both the faux-rillz and noz perspective on how they sound.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Def Jam Fall Release Schedule:

Rick Ross, ???Port of Miami??? ??? Aug. 11
    The Roots, ???Game Theory??? ??? Aug. 29
    Young Jeezy, [untitled] ??? Sept. 12
    Nas, ???Hip-Hop Is Dead??? ??? Sept. 19
    Fabolous, [untitled] ??? Oct. 10

this is total bs. releasing jeezy's and nas' albums a week apart from each other

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

Rap albums I like this year:

People Under the Stairs - Stepfather

I caught a late pass on this one, but it's been bumpin in my headphones all week to and from work. PERFECT summertime shit for skating through the streets.

Thes if you catch this - thanks for the great album!! Shit knocks straight out the park.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

This profile is undergoing routine maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience!

are they making it blacker?

This profile is undergoing routine maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience!

are they making it blacker?

All I know is that red, white, and blue don't match.

• sergserg 682 Posts

There are 4 tracks up on their myspace page at:

http://myspace.com/ngokmusic

I'd love to hear both the faux-rillz and noz perspective on how they sound.

man NGOK really needs some better beats. the one for i refuse is the worst

• whatsup with freeway, where's he been?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Robert - I like most of the rapping, but I agree that they could use some better beats.

Hook them up with your boy salih.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Freeway had a g-unit mixtape that was pretty good though pfork rap writers didnt like it. The best songs were old though, like the one with Jody Breeze.

Robert - I like most of the rapping, but I agree that they could use some better beats.

Hook them up with your boy salih.

When you first heard Salih, he was a 28 year old jazz pianist and r-n-b keyboard player with 15 years experience as a workhorse performer.

When you first heard TY of NGOK, he was a 19 year old with access to a cheap keyboard and his former high school media lab.

I'm hearing great potential out of TY, who has been toying with his new Triton the past couple of months.

Stay tuned.

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    The era of 5-10 above-average to "classic" albums dropping in one calendar year are over. The labels have watered down the game so much that for every T.I. or GFK that drops, we have to suffer thru 100 below-average releases. Most artists seem to only be able to make 1-3 quality songs per album and the rest are average to below-average (i.e. Yung Joc).
    Your perspective is fascinating and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I love how people forget how much shitty rap there was in (every year rap existed ever)

Well, I don't entirely agree with him, but he doesn't seem to be suggesting that there weren't an awful lot of bad rap records in previous eras. What I think he is saying is that there are not as many solid rap albums as there used to be, and I think it's tough to contest that rap as a whole has largely moved on from being album-oriented. The truth is that the focus on albums was really an anomalous ~8 year window within rap's almost 30 year recorded history.

I'm not saying that every release in '88/'89 or '92-'94 were "classics"; however, I am suggesting that during those periods, as well as others, you were guaranteed at least a half dozen or more albums worth listening to more than once or twice. How many artists get major publicity for a hot single and then when their album drops we have to sift thru mediocre material and lessen our standards in order to justify the purchase to ourselves?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Plenty of that 'flawless album' garbage is contrived and 'classic album' status is 90% of the time granted in retrospect. Look at those old "committe for rap excellence" reviews that they still have archived online for some interesting perspectives on 'classic rap.' From their illmatic review:

In the end, this is a good album. I mean it ain't _It Takes A Nation
    of Millons to Hold Us Back_, but, then, what is? Look, this is more
    than just a collection of some for-the-moment phat beats. This will
    get more rotation in my ride than, say, Souls of Mischief--last year's
    new phat hype sensation--did.

I just don't buy that there was some mystical classic age of great albums and now all albums suck. Of course shit goes through peaks and valleys, I thought 2005 was pretty weak but I thought 2004 had a bunch of great albums. Further, in a time where six-plus songs from a fucking studio album leak before the album ever gets out I'd rather have a 80 minute inconsistent mess with music i haven't actually heard yet than some 40 minute masterpiece full of shit that's been out for a year. (see: new Bubba Sparxx, minus 'masterpiece')

2004 rap albums I like a lot and that I listen to just as much as yr 'classic' albums from '94 (and if you don't like new rap why act like its a problem of "classic albums" and just say you think rap sucks?)

Suga Free - The New Testament
    Big Tuck - Purple Hulk
    B.G. - Life After Cash Money
    ESG - All American Gangster
    Daddy Yankee - Barrio Fino
    Z-Ro - The Life of Joseph W. McVey
    Federation - The Album
    Devin the Dude - To Tha X-Treme
    Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album
    The King of Crunk & BME Recordings Present Lil Scrappy & Trillville
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Trick Daddy - Thug Matrimony
    Eightball & MJG - Living Legends
    Lil Boosie & Webbie - Gangsta Muzik
    Some dude named Kanye, when he was funny.

B-Sides:

we're the same age, dude. Am i supposed to cling to rap music to remain, what, youthfull or something?

this isn't a commercial vs indie thing either.

Yes, but rap is dead is such a lame old people argument that I just throw you in there too.

You are in good company though, i think nas feels the same way judging by his moronic album title. Hopefully that will get changed. Unthinkable that he could come up with something worse than NAS-DAQ DOW JONES.

No Disrespect to the "REAL HEADZ" is intended, but the rap is dead argument is disrespectful to those on the come up.

PLus, eveybody wants to scream it everytime theres a little dry spell. Which i agree we are currently in.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I should also probably mention that I think I like snap music.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Young Jeezy, [untitled] ??? Sept. 12

When will the mixtape for this drop? August?

I should also probably mention that I think I like snap music.

me too.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hip hop is dead, rap is bigger than ever.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
    Is it objectively dead based on a sharp decline in retail sales?

• Plenty of that 'flawless album' garbage is contrived and 'classic album' status is 90% of the time granted in retrospect. Look at those old "committe for rap excellence" reviews that they still have archived online for some interesting perspectives on 'classic rap.' From their illmatic review:

In the end, this is a good album. I mean it ain't _It Takes A Nation
    of Millons to Hold Us Back_, but, then, what is? Look, this is more
    than just a collection of some for-the-moment phat beats. This will
    get more rotation in my ride than, say, Souls of Mischief--last year's
    new phat hype sensation--did.

I just don't buy that there was some mystical classic age of great albums and now all albums suck. .

They dont all suck, and anyone who says rap is "dead" is a tard. However, we don't have years like 1991 anymore:

Breaking Atoms
    Low End Theory
    Death Certificate
    Cypress Hill
    To the East Blackwards
    Quik's tha Name
    Future Without a Past
    Naughty By Nature
    We Can't Be Stopped
    De La Soul is Dead
    Efil4zaggin
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Remember going to the store and not having enough scratch to cop every good cd that had come out? When the fuck was the last time that happened?