NBA 07-08 Set Thangs STR8

Comments

• OK, so last week I thought the Bulls just need to shake off the dust and get it moving, but now I'm starting to get worried. I even went to the Nugs game last night as a Bulls fan, how disappointing! I'll take a 6th win in a row for my team, but I wanted to see the Bulls at least put up a fight! What's the deal? They just look so sluggish and careless, they can't make shots, they aren't even trying to get high percentage shots, just cranking up jumpers all day. Is it Skiles? Is it the lingering trade rumors? What is keeping these guys from wanting to win?

• Bynum will show Stoudamire the exit. Ariza will lock up Marion. Bryant will dunk on Nash (again) and end his career.

Now THIS is the type of Telepathy?? that we've been missing around here!

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    As a Magic fan, I'm sad to see Ariza go (seemed to be finally coming into his own the last week or so and getting over the foot injury), but he was never going to get substantial time with Van Gundy at the helm and we needed a replacement for Battie. My kneejerk reaction is that they should've just signed some vet on his last legs for one year, but oh well. Might be a win-win for both clubs. We'll see.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    OK, so last week I thought the Bulls just need to shake off the dust and get it moving, but now I'm starting to get worried. I even went to the Nugs game last night as a Bulls fan, how disappointing! I'll take a 6th win in a row for my team, but I wanted to see the Bulls at least put up a fight! What's the deal? They just look so sluggish and careless, they can't make shots, they aren't even trying to get high percentage shots, just cranking up jumpers all day. Is it Skiles? Is it the lingering trade rumors? What is keeping these guys from wanting to win?

I have started to tune out the Bulls, sadly. I don't know what's the problem. Well, I guess it's the same problems: they can't really pound it inside and always settle for jump shots, and when the jump shots don't fall, the Bulls do.

I'm not sure what's the deal on the defense though. That was supposed to be their strong point. Maybe they are all so depressed from the lack of an offensive game, they just don't care???

I'd like to point a finger at Skiles. I never was a big fan of his. I like the fact that he makes his players work hard, but he seems like such a depressive d^ck that I'd have trouble getting motivated too.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    OK, so last week I thought the Bulls just need to shake off the dust and get it moving, but now I'm starting to get worried. I even went to the Nugs game last night as a Bulls fan, how disappointing! I'll take a 6th win in a row for my team, but I wanted to see the Bulls at least put up a fight! What's the deal? They just look so sluggish and careless, they can't make shots, they aren't even trying to get high percentage shots, just cranking up jumpers all day. Is it Skiles? Is it the lingering trade rumors? What is keeping these guys from wanting to win?

I have started to tune out the Bulls, sadly. I don't know what's the problem. Well, I guess it's the same problems: they can't really pound it inside and always settle for jump shots, and when the jump shots don't fall, the Bulls do.

I'm not sure what's the deal on the defense though. That was supposed to be their strong point. Maybe they are all so depressed from the lack of an offensive game, they just don't care???

I'd like to point a finger at Skiles. I never was a big fan of his. I like the fact that he makes his players work hard, but he seems like such a depressive d^ck that I'd have trouble getting motivated too.

jump shots only fall when you're on your A game. the bulls starting five all feel like they are trade bait. i can imagine you won't see much intensity on their part, and who can really blame them? Scott Skiles tried to get his team to play by declaring at the beginning of the season, "The Kobe trade rumors are DEAD." or whatever. Ric Bucher made a good point by saying that by him speaking this way, it would hopefully get his team to play, so that HE doesn't get fired. Also, Chicago knows that this is Kobe's #1 destination, so they (like other teams) are waiting in the wings for LA to accept a lower offer for KB.

• But do trade rumors really make players stop caring about the game? I would expect that if you were on the trade block, you'd be playing your ass off to show your worth and get the best deal wherever you end up. Slacking off and letting your team lose games is surely no way to make a positive impression.

There's definitely a serious lack of motivation there. I think they can force their offense in the paint, they just don't. Thomas can get down, Noah should be able to get in there, Wallace can get those offensive boards. They have the talent, that's why I wonder if it's the coaching that's keeping them from rounding out their offense. If the shot isn't falling, they need to take a different approach. They haven't been.

But do trade rumors really make players stop caring about the game? I would expect that if you were on the trade block, you'd be playing your ass off to show your worth and get the best deal wherever you end up. Slacking off and letting your team lose games is surely no way to make a positive impression.

There's definitely a serious lack of motivation there. I think they can force their offense in the paint, they just don't. Thomas can get down, Noah should be able to get in there, Wallace can get those offensive boards. They have the talent, that's why I wonder if it's the coaching that's keeping them from rounding out their offense. If the shot isn't falling, they need to take a different approach. They haven't been.

This is poor analysis. Can you really question the heart and work ethic of say a Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, or Kirk Heinrich? Those are pros you're talking about.

• Scott Skiles tried to get his team to play by declaring at the beginning of the season, "The Kobe trade rumors are DEAD." or whatever.

i know, for a fact, that as of this past week, a kobe trade involving chicago is not dead.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I think that players knowing they are on the trading block fucks with their head and can effect their game.

• But do trade rumors really make players stop caring about the game? I would expect that if you were on the trade block, you'd be playing your ass off to show your worth and get the best deal wherever you end up. Slacking off and letting your team lose games is surely no way to make a positive impression.

This is poor analysis. Can you really question the heart and work ethic of say a Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, or Kirk Heinrich? Those are pros you're talking about.

What are you talking about? Have you even watched them play lately?? Doesn't sound like it.

What are you talking about? Have you even watched them play lately?? Doesn't sound like it.

Son, what part of "Telepathy" do you not you understand??

The boy don't even have basic cable, yet can deconstruct the most complex of teams.

You do not want to tet.

• True, I should have recognized game there... My fault!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    But do trade rumors really make players stop caring about the game? I would expect that if you were on the trade block, you'd be playing your ass off to show your worth and get the best deal wherever you end up. Slacking off and letting your team lose games is surely no way to make a positive impression.

The boy don't even have basic cable, yet can deconstruct the most complex of teams.

You do not want to tet.

Understand this: we are tawmbout pros here.

hey baldy! (no MJ)

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

You do not want to tet.

pros with heart and work ethic. this ain't beverly hills high! objective analysis from someone who watches the games will not work here!! we need played out espn color-commentator cliches!

You do not want to tet.

pros with
    heart and work ethic. this ain't beverly hills high! objective analysis from someone who watches the games will not work here!! we need played out espn color-commentator cliches!

My two cents says those guys have checked out on Scott Skiles. His domineering style is better for a bunch of young guys and hungry NBA bench types. He is the kind of coach that gets those kind of scrappy players to overachieve as a unit. But now they are coming into their own and should be going to the next level, and they need a coach that can do that with them. And yes the trade talks do matter in this equation too. When guys are realising that Kobe Bryant wants to play with them, then they know that they have arrived and they won't put up with being treated like a rookie.

bottom line, and I've felt this way for years: Scott Skiles is a micro-managing nazi who runs offense with no real goals in mind.

(I tried to heckle him to that effect when i saw a game in chicago last season and was sitting about 8 rows back. He must have been confused when out of the crowd noise he was hearing "micro... nazi... real goals!!!" I need more effective heckling tactics.)

My two cents says those guys have checked out on Scott Skiles. His domineering style is better for a bunch of young guys and hungry NBA bench types. He is the kind of coach that gets those kind of scrappy players to overachieve as a unit. But now they are coming into their own and should be going to the next level, and they need a coach that can do that with them. And yes the trade talks do matter in this equation too. When guys are realising that Kobe Bryant wants to play with them, then they know that they have arrived and they won't put up with being treated like a rookie.

I kind of suspected that as well. Snapping, please continue to post.

• bottom line, and I've felt this way for years: Scott Skiles is a micro-managing nazi who runs offense with no real goals in mind.

(I tried to heckle him to that effect when i saw a game in chicago last season and was sitting about 8 rows back. He must have been confused when out of the crowd noise he was hearing "micro... nazi... real goals!!!" I need more effective heckling tactics.)

Yes you do, the only way to heckle Scottie Skiles is to constantly bring up the fact that he killed someone. If you ever catch a came w/ Uncle GP, I'll teach you, son.

bottom line, and I've felt this way for years: Scott Skiles is a micro-managing nazi who runs offense with no real goals in mind.

Yes you do, the only way to heckle Scottie Skiles is to constantly bring up the fact that he killed someone. If you ever catch a came w/ Uncle GP, I'll teach you, son.

maybe we could get really crazy and call him "bald" or something equally as offensive.

• bottom line, and I've felt this way for years: Scott Skiles is a micro-managing nazi who runs offense with no real goals in mind.

maybe we could get really crazy and call him "bald" or something equally as offensive.

Huh?

I'm checking my facts: did Scott Skiles ever kill anybody? I'm thinking vehicular manslaughter here. Wikipedia is not jibing w/ my memories.

You and Faux Rillz really need a room. Maybe you could rub baldy's head, and he can love you for quoting him all the time.

Can you really question the heart and work ethic of say a Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, or Kirk Heinrich by agreeing that they have checked out on their coach or that they suffer from a sense of entitlement because Kobe wants to play with them? Those are pros you're talking about.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Can you really question the heart and work ethic of say a Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, or Kirk Heinrich by agreeing that they have checked out on their coach or that they suffer from a sense of entitlement because Kobe wants to play with them? Those are pros you're talking about.

"Pro" only means they get paid.....it has nothing to do with work ethic or heart(See: Antoine Walker)

"Pro" only means they get paid.....it has nothing to do with work ethic or heart(See: Antoine Walker)

*whoosh*

• My two cents says those guys have checked out on Scott Skiles. His domineering style is better for a bunch of young guys and hungry NBA bench types. He is the kind of coach that gets those kind of scrappy players to overachieve as a unit. But now they are coming into their own and should be going to the next level, and they need a coach that can do that with them. And yes the trade talks do matter in this equation too. When guys are realising that Kobe Bryant wants to play with them, then they know that they have arrived and they won't put up with being treated like a rookie.

I'm not questioning their heart. Those guys will be kicking ass for a long time. Its just that when the players are all pissed at the coach things unravel. Guys who never should be accused of lacking heart get accused. Like Latrell Sprewell in Golden State under PJ Carlessimo. Or half of New York's current roster. Everyone winds up looking bad.

Besides, people have got unrealistic expectations about how athletes are somehow supposed to have KG-like loyalty and Nash-like public persona. The shit is not automatic.

History proves that often times when trade talks are in the air, teams and players underachieve because they're distracted.

• the bulls have only played 10 games. lets revisit this in another 10. people talking about dudes "checking out" are basically talking out of their asses. the heat are 2-8 as well. things change.

deng and gordon are legit. heinrich is good. wallace is limited. the rest of their team is okay. thomas has potential. perhaps they overachieved last year and they are getting a taste of reality. the east seems to have gotten better. look at miami. im sure they won more games, on a % basis, without wade in past seasons.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    (See: Antoine Walker)

Damn, Walker is like the Soul Strut punching bag, huh?

Am I the only person on the entire board that ever liked him?

He was frustrating, but he had talent and was a character - and
    I dispute the claim that he had no heart. His playoff runs with the
    Celtics disproved that claim, IMO.

I'm not questioning their heart. Those guys will be kicking ass for a long time. Its just that when the players are all pissed at the coach things unravel. Guys who never should be accused of lacking heart get accused. Like Latrell Sprewell in Golden State under PJ Carlessimo. Or half of New York's current roster. Everyone winds up looking bad.