NBA 07-08 Set Thangs STR8

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My two cents says those guys have checked out on Scott Skiles. His domineering style is better for a bunch of young guys and hungry NBA bench types. He is the kind of coach that gets those kind of scrappy players to overachieve as a unit. But now they are coming into their own and should be going to the next level, and they need a coach that can do that with them. And yes the trade talks do matter in this equation too. When guys are realising that Kobe Bryant wants to play with them, then they know that they have arrived and they won't put up with being treated like a rookie.

I kind of suspected that as well. Snapping, please continue to post.

Can you really question the heart and work ethic of say a Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, or Kirk Heinrich by agreeing that they have checked out on their coach or that they suffer from a sense of entitlement because Kobe wants to play with them? Those are pros you're talking about.

"Pro" only means they get paid.....it has nothing to do with work ethic or heart(See: Antoine Walker)

*whoosh*

I'm afraid you'll have to hip me to this streetwise slang of yours???

• the bulls have only played 10 games. lets revisit this in another 10. people talking about dudes "checking out" are basically talking out of their asses. the heat are 2-8 as well. things change.

deng and gordon are legit. heinrich is good. wallace is limited. the rest of their team is okay. thomas has potential. perhaps they overachieved last year and they are getting a taste of reality. the east seems to have gotten better. look at miami. im sure they won more games, on a % basis, without wade in past seasons.

this is a funny post because the Heat are the other team that I've heard rumors about "checking out on the coach." Shaq mumbles stuff under his breath about playing the way he wants.

(See: Roy Tarpley[/b] )

Damn, Walker is like the Soul Strut punching bag, huh?

Better??

• My two cents says those guys have checked out on Scott Skiles. His domineering style is better for a bunch of young guys and hungry NBA bench types. He is the kind of coach that gets those kind of scrappy players to overachieve as a unit. But now they are coming into their own and should be going to the next level, and they need a coach that can do that with them. And yes the trade talks do matter in this equation too. When guys are realising that Kobe Bryant wants to play with them, then they know that they have arrived and they won't put up with being treated like a rookie.

I kind of suspected that as well. Snapping, please continue to post.

Can you really question the heart and work ethic of say a Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, or Kirk Heinrich by agreeing that they have checked out on their coach or that they suffer from a sense of entitlement because Kobe wants to play with them? Those are pros you're talking about.

I'm not questioning their heart. Those guys will be kicking ass for a long time. Its just that when the players are all pissed at the coach things unravel. Guys who never should be accused of lacking heart get accused. Like Latrell Sprewell in Golden State under PJ Carlessimo. Or half of New York's current roster. Everyone winds up looking bad.

wow, get off this dude's nuts already.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    the bulls have only played 10 games. lets revisit this in another 10. people talking about dudes "checking out" are basically talking out of their asses. the heat are 2-8 as well. things change.

deng and gordon are legit. heinrich is good. wallace is limited. the rest of their team is okay. thomas has potential. perhaps they overachieved last year and they are getting a taste of reality. the east seems to have gotten better. look at miami. im sure they won more games, on a % basis, without wade in past seasons.

this is a funny post because the Heat are the other team that I've heard rumors about "checking out on the coach." Shaq mumbles stuff under his breath about playing the way he wants.

I've never considered Riley to be a genius, as many proclaim him to be. Talking about "I'm about to lace up my kicks and play!" cuz he don't got a fully recovered Dwyane Wade. Way to motivate the team!

• the bulls have only played 10 games. lets revisit this in another 10. people talking about dudes "checking out" are basically talking out of their asses. the heat are 2-8 as well. things change.

I've never considered Riley to be a genius, as many proclaim him to be. Talking about "I'm about to lace up my kicks and play!" cuz he don't got a fully recovered Dwyane Wade. Way to motivate the team!

I think Pat Riley is an amazing coach, but that situation in Miami is degenerating. Ever since he kicked Stan Van Gundy to the curb. Living in Miami has made Riley go a little bit Tony Montana.

We can speculate all we want but when Ben says it's a "distraction" I can only assume it's effecting his game??

Ben Gordon admitted he couldn't help but get caught up in some of the Bryant trade talk.
    "I think it's been a distraction," Gordon said. "Players names are mentioned all the time. It's natural for you to think about it. It's a part of the business.
    [/b]

We can speculate all we want but when Ben says it's a "distraction" I can only assume it's effecting his game??

Ben Gordon admitted he couldn't help but get caught up in some of the Bryant trade talk.
    "I think it's been a distraction," Gordon said. "Players names are mentioned all the time. It's natural for you to think about it. It's a part of the business.
    [/b]

No doubt. I was watching the Laker broadcast yesterday, and Stu Lance made a good point about how Brian Cook and Maurice Evans trade for Trevor Ariza wasn't all that bad for those Lakers, because they are young and don't have an entire family to relocate. I believe some of those Bulls have a family to take care of.

the bulls have only played 10 games. lets revisit this in another 10. people talking about dudes "checking out" are basically talking out of their asses. the heat are 2-8 as well. things change.

I think Pat Riley is an amazing coach, but that situation in Miami is degenerating. Ever since he kicked Stan Van Gundy to the curb. Living in Miami has made Riley go a little bit Tony Montana.

I can respect that my man.

• We can speculate all we want but when Ben says it's a "distraction" I can only assume it's effecting his game??

[/b]

As an up and coming NBA star talent, this kind of thing should only affect your game so much... Talks about getting traded shouldn't shut you down like a high school girl who just got dumped before prom. If it's "part of the business", then so is actually playing to win. I don't think these players are so mentally fragile that talks about them playing for a different team are the main cause of their poor performance. I'm thinking it has more to do with the coach. I'm kind of interested in this idea that Skiles doesn't really know how to manage actual developed talent.

• We can speculate all we want but when Ben says it's a "distraction" I can only assume it's effecting his game??

[/b]

No doubt. I was watching the Laker broadcast yesterday, and Stu Lance made a good point about how Brian Cook and Maurice Evans trade for Trevor Ariza wasn't all that bad for those Lakers, because they are young and don't have an entire family to relocate. I believe some of those Bulls have a family to take care of.

I'm sorry, but when you are a millionaire, relocating your family cannot be that big of an issue. Every player knows it's part of the game (moving city to city), and this is not something that should affect on court performance that much.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    (See: Antoine Walker)

Am I the only person on the entire board that ever liked him?

yes.

• (See: Antoine Walker)

Am I the only person on the entire board that ever liked him?

yes.

I liked chuckin' up treys w/ him on NBA Live 99 and 00!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    YOU HATTERS ARE JUST JELLY OF THE WIGGLE.

Y'ALL CAN'T WIGGLE LIKE WALKER AND IT'S EATING YOU ALIVE!

• YOU HATTERS ARE JUST JELLY OF THE WIGGLE.

• R Kelly is at my gym right now playing hoops. i just got a text. apparently, he sucks.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Given that time travel remains a technological possibility and we therefore cannot ship this clown and his wiggle back to the nineties where he belongs, I was thrilled when the next best thing occurred--he was exiled to the purgatory that is Minnesota.

• YOU HATTERS ARE JUST JELLY OF THE WIGGLE.

Given that time travel remains a technological possibility and we therefore cannot ship this clown and his wiggle back to the nineties where he belongs, I was thrilled when the next best thing occurred--he was exiled to the purgatory that is Minnesota.

Yo, I'm feeling your posting style son.

quit quoting him. you two love each other.

• quit quoting him. you two love each other.

Haha. Like Frickin' roses love rain.

• quit quoting him. you two love each other.

Don't be mad, dog - I'm feeling your style too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Can you really question the heart and work ethic of a man that takes time out of his workday to show my posts the recognition they deserve? This is a pro you're talking about.

• Don't be mad, dog - I'm feeling your style too.

JP/Faux....bad cop/bad cop? It's a tough pairing for lil' dudes to fade.

This week the local Dallas rag, The Observer, printed a feature article on that SS favorite, Dirk Nowitzki.
    Below is a link to the article and some choice excerpts that I thought the SS Dirk haters would enjoy....
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    http://www.dallasobserver.com/2007-11-22/news/crocodile-nowitzki/1

Nowitzki sat in front of the fire, strumming his guitar and sipping his whiskey straight from the bottle. He had stopped shaving days ago and didn't know when he would bathe next[/b]. He had been in Australia for a week and a half, even though it was May, and by all accounts he should have been somewhere else. He should've been on a basketball court, leading the Dallas Mavericks deep into the NBA Playoffs. He should've been winning a championship. But for the second year in a row, the season had ended in disappointment. Once again people were questioning his mental toughness.

That first year a salary dispute had delayed the start of the season and privately Nowitzki had hoped it would go unresolved so he could play in Europe one more year. Even when he left, his parents worried he would return of homesickness, as his sister had done after a semester of playing college ball in the United States.

The transition was difficult. During a Christmas visit to his West Village apartment in 1999, his parents discovered he was sleeping on a twin-sized mattress and found a stack of paychecks he hadn't even opened in a corner.[/b]

Over the years, he adjusted until America felt like home to him. He often sprinkled hip-hop slang into his accented English, shouting out things like "Warzburg X-Rays are the craziest"???a Wu-Tang Clan-inspired homage to the club team he had played on as a youth[/b], but for the most part, he was the same old Dirk, unaffected by money and fame. Clothes and cars held little interest for him; on one road trip to Seattle in 2001, his shoes were so beat up, Nash dragged him to a store and wouldn't let him leave until he had a new pair.[/b]

JP/Faux....bald cop/bad cop? It's a tough pairing for lil' dudes to fade.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

He looks like a zombie version of Casual.

• Thanks for the link, Rock. Great article.

I thought this was a cool pic from last night's game:

Last night's game was fun. Er, the second half was. What's w/ Mavs/Raptors and 24 point deficits? Dirk was on fire last night.

I am not feeling your style. Do not litter on the holy grounds, that is the NBA thread. You notice that all three of you dudes are without a legit team right?

R Kelly is at my gym right now playing hoops. i just got a text. apparently, he sucks.

I heard Faux Rillz and "Kells" were working on back-door plays earlier in the day.

I am not feeling your style. Do not litter on the holy grounds, that is the NBA thread. You notice that all three of you dudes are without a legit team right?
    and thus, i refrain from making such far-fetched, malinformed and blindly biased statements like "yo, dun, andrew bynum gonna own amare. like, for reals. i'm feelin that style. yo. now i'm gonna refer to something as a singular, which i previously established as a plural, then i'm gonna ask an unrelated question, without specifically addressing the intended audience, dawg."