Bun B vs. Byron Crawford

Comments

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Pocket Full Of Stone was on Menace II Society soundtrack since they were sign to Jive, even I was playing it in my show, but besides that ?
    Geto Boys had 20 singles which were on every mixtape, they had other groups making answer records (remember the Geto Girls ?), they were on the cover of regional biaised magazines such as The Source & Rap Pages, had more than one video which had heavy rotation etc...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Channel Live was on the Charles Perez Show around 95.

Channel Live + "Mad Izm" + KRS approval=LEGENDS!

Or post radio playlists or tracklisting of mixtapes with their music ?

are you fuckin kidding me? dude I don't think I could even count the number of mixtapes in the early to mid 90's that had both "Pocket Full Of Stones" and "Something Good" on them. I know mine did.

Were you even listening to hip hop then? we're talking 1993 here. you might be younger and the age difference would explain your lack of insight to this subject.

while you're thinking about that, I'd love to see all the tv footage you have of the Geto Boys.

Footnote: The Geto Boys despite their universal popularity and such and such, have never performed outside of the United States.

They're definitely not legends.

that's all fine and good but I'm POSITIVE they must have performed "My Mind's Playin Tricks On Me" on American Bandstand...right?

I'm also pretty sure Willie D did some of his solo stuff on the Regis and Kathy Lee show back in the mid 90's, "Play Witcha Mama" I think.

I was being sarcastic. Just pointing out that these qualifications to being a legend that all these dudes here are posting up are all bullshit.

I WANT to believe that they are legends, and not just a very good group that made dope music despite a lack of recognition. But give us some example of them being considered legend by anyone before Jay Z rhymed with them.
    By the way Cockni O'Dire who's from LA told me this morning moring that he was a fan of them. But then again he lives in Dallas now...

this is taken from your website:

Bronx legend Jesse West[/b]

Dude...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Pocket Full Of Stone was on Menace II Society soundtrack since they were sign to Jive, even I was playing it in my show, but besides that ?
    Geto Boys had 20 singles which were on every mixtape, they had other groups making answer records (remember the Geto Girls ?), they were on the cover of regional biaised magazines such as The Source & Rap Pages, had more than one video which had heavy rotation etc...

yeah dude, go back and read Soulmans comparison in differnt types of Legends. noone is saying they're on the same level as Geto Boys.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The streets anoint Legendary Status, not the Industry.

The streets anoint Legendary Status, not the blogs[/b].

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Or post radio playlists or tracklisting of mixtapes with their music ?

are you fuckin kidding me? dude I don't think I could even count the number of mixtapes in the early to mid 90's that had both "Pocket Full Of Stones" and "Something Good" on them. I know mine did.

Were you even listening to hip hop then? we're talking 1993 here. you might be younger and the age difference would explain your lack of insight to this subject.

while you're thinking about that, I'd love to see all the tv footage you have of the Geto Boys.

Footnote: The Geto Boys despite their universal popularity and such and such, have never performed outside of the United States.

They're definitely not legends.

Willie D cemented his legend status when he moved to Azerbaijan.

http://houstonsoreal.blogspot.com/2005/01/interview-with-willie-d-geto-boys.html

Well on a more positive note, what are you up to right now? There were rumors that you had moved to Paris, but now you are in Azerbaijan. What happened to Paris?

I did initially move to Paris man. But me and my wife realized quick that Paris is not a place to raise kids. We were at this hotel resort in Paris while they were getting the apartment ready for us. We were gonna live in an apartment while we built a house out there. So we were at the resort and this woman comes up and says ???You may want to get your kids out of the pool about seven, because people gonna start taking they clothes off.??? And sure enough, seven o???clock comes around and here come people taking they clothes off and getting in the pool. Swimming, all in the sauna. Then I???m watching television about 10:30 at night and fucking come on out of the blue. Just out of the fucking blue, fucking comes on. I???m watching regular television and fucking comes on. I didn???t push any special buttons to order no sex or nothing. So I start pressing buttons and stuff trying to get this shit off and I call downstairs and I???m like ???Hey what???s wrong with this channel???? And the lady starts laughing, ???Oh I???m sorry Mr. Dennis, I forgot to tell you that.??? This is some regular shit. They just wide open with that shit out there. You go up in McDonalds, motherfuckers standing in line tongue kissing in McDonalds. You know my kids are seeing all this shit so I???m like fuck this shit. We started searching for another place to live right away that could accommodate all our needs. For me Paris was gonna be my thing where I could deal with the music in Paris, but the very next place that we saw that could fit both of our needs, my wife being an engineer and me doing music and real estate, was Baku, Azerbaijan. The real estate market is big time happening over there right now and you can get in on the front end. Also it???s a much better place to raise kids. They???re at an international school. My son, he???s 5 years old and has 17 kids in his classroom from 14 different countries and my daughter has 20 people in her class from 15 different countries.

• Does anyone here dispute that Percee P is a hip hop "legend"? .

Me

that dude is kinda trash after more than 2 songs. He's best at marking a cool cameo and that's about it (Sorry England).

I can't belive you guys are FIGHTING over this. People getting hot and bothered up in this thread.

Seriously

Me

that dude is kinda trash after more than 2 songs. He's best at marking a cool cameo and that's about it (Sorry England).

I can't belive you guys are FIGHTING over this. People getting hot and bothered up in this thread.

Seriously

are you trying to slow this thread down?

Please stop

almost every post here is a work of art.

Quotables for days, asshurt feelings coming to the surface. Playground mentalities shown by grown folks.

it can't stop now.

Besdies I want to know what Faux_Rills firsthand experience knowing what the black community likes is all about.

Just for fun I called up 2 different households I know in black communities and asked the twenty-somethings in the home if they know Bun-B and if they do do they know he's a hip-hop legend.

the conclusion showed that either South Central LA isn't a black community or Faux Rills (big surprise) can't quite speak for black people

Does anyone here dispute that Percee P is a hip hop "legend"? .

Me

Seriously

Please stop

Quotables for days, asshurt feelings coming to the surface. Playground mentalities shown by grown folks.

it can't stop now.

Besdies I want to know what Faux_Rills firsthand experience knowing what the black community likes is all about.

Just for fun I called up 2 different households I know in black communities[/b] and asked the twenty-somethings in the home if they know Bun-B and if they do do they know he's a hip-hop legend.

the conclusion showed that either South Central LA isn't a black community or Faux Rills (big surprise) can't quite speak for black people

Intimate knowledge of the black community revealed by calling *gasp* a whopping two households. You're given national pollster companies a run for their money. I think that you might have also expended all the "households... in black communities" that you personally know in two phone calls.

seriously, please stop??

Me

Seriously

Please stop

it can't stop now.

Just for fun I called up 2 different households I know in black communities[/b] and asked the twenty-somethings in the home if they know Bun-B and if they do do they know he's a hip-hop legend.

Intimate knowledge of the black community revealed by calling *gasp* a whopping two households. You're given national pollster companies a run for their money. I think that you might have also expended all the "households... in black communities" that you personally know in two phone calls.

seriously, please stop??

Respect my polling game

as small as the reuslts are it still shows something more than the personal perspectives that many here is trying to shove down everyone elses throats as universal truths.

Anyways I just don't want to see such a beautiful thread fade away, all this is missing is a good dab of reptillian and black magic references.

I think were bordering on classic here

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

it can't stop now.

Me

Seriously

Please stop

it can't stop now.

seriously, please stop??

Respect my polling game

as small as the reuslts are it still shows something more than the personal perspectives that everyone else here is trying to shove down everyones throats as universal truths.

Anyways I just don't want to see such a beautiful thread fade away, all this is missing is a good dab of reptillian and black magic references.

I think were bordering on classic here

Do you put kittens in the oven and call them biscuits?

Me

Seriously

Please stop

it can't stop now.

Just for fun I called up 2 different households I know in black communities and asked the twenty-somethings in the home if they know Bun-B and if they do do they know he's a hip-hop legend.

Not that I need further reasons to feel sorry for you, but this is just sad if it's true.

• Do you put kittens in the oven and call them biscuits?

will this help me with my polling game?

Do you put kittens in the oven and call them biscuits?

will this help me with my polling game?

A to the muhfucking YO!

No, but it will help you with your "talking out your ass" game, although you do a pretty good job of it without the kittens.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't get why people think this is about taste - it's not.

Do you guys read the threads or just pick the most active one to start spewing into?

• Not that I need further reasons to feel sorry for you

you mean I can gain the sympathies of a smug, know-it-all attorney who feels he is qualified to speak for the black community? HELL YEAH!

I was thinking of pitching a scriipt about an inept lawyer with delisuions of grandeur would you like to be a creative consultant?

I can wait until after your first case, theres no rush

• I don't get why people think this is about taste - it's not.

Do you guys read the threads or just pick the most active one to start spewing into?

you see, this is where all the asshurt seems to stem from.

Legend is a relative term.

if some folks on here choose to recognize UGK as legendary thats fine, their private mind gardens are no place for me to lay down my ideas. But don't go ahead and try to impose some solid conclusion that your belief is an absolute fact.

Young_Phonics doesn't see UGK as legends and thats totally fine

Faux_Rills see's Bun B in the same respected light as Rakim and Jay-Z and thats fine too

neither one can speak for others but both should have respect for the other persons belief.

but, like I said before, don't let things like common sense and respect get in the way of this asshurt festival.

people carry on

I don't get why people think this is about taste - it's not.

if some folks on here choose to recognize UGK as legendary thats fine, their private mind gardens are no place for me to lay down my ideas. But don't go ahead and try to impose some solid conclusion that your belief is an absolute fact.

Faux_Rills see's Bun B in the same respected light as Rakim and Jay-Z and thats fine too

neither one can speak for others but both should have respect for the other persons belief.

but, like I siad before, don't let things like common sense and respect get in the way of this asshurt festival.

people carry on

Look, nobody is served by the retreat into relativism that you advocate, wherein we all run naked through our own private mind gardens rejoicing in the fact that we can crown whatever artists resonate with us personally legends and ignore all those that don't.

You cannot buy a tool at Home Depot that has a little dial on top which provides a wholly objective measure of "legendariness," but you can make an argument based on considerably more objective qualities than whether or not you personally like the artist in question. Most people would agree that two of the principal such qualities would be an (1) artist's sustained popularity amongst rap's core audience, i.e. young Black Americans, and (2) that artist's influence on his peers. By those two measures, there are not a whole lot of artists that can compete with UGK--a few dozen, on the outside. UGK was massively popular amongst Black audiences in the South (and if you want to contest that point, you simply have no idea what you're talking about) and there are a whole lot more Black people in that multi-state region than there are in New York City, the only place that most people on this board seem to think rap legends can spring from. And I guarantee you that if you were to poll the generation of Southern rappers that are currently running the game--T.I., Ludacris, Jeezy, Mike Jones, whoever--every single one of them would cite U.G.K. as a primary influence. The fact that Young Phonics missed out on the group while growing up in the Bay or that you ignored them while growing up in the suburbs of Los Angeles has nothing to do with any of this.

• artist's sustained popularity amongst rap's core audience, i.e. young Black Americans

since when has this been true?

Have you gone to a hip-hop show in the last 20 years?

artist's sustained popularity amongst rap's core audience, i.e. young Black Americans

since when has this been true?

Have you gone to a hip-hop show in the last 20 years?

Rap music has proved extraordinarily resistant to the music industry's efforts to bypass the Black audience and to conjure rap stars out of nothing. Very rarely does a rapper attract the platinum-plus sales that a white audience can give him without first being cosigned by a Black audience. If you don't understand this, you really don't belong in this thread.

• delisuions of grandeur

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I dont think that there is any dispute that they are "Southern Rap Legends" but thats where their legendary status stops.Where as with Scarface and Outkast they have surpassed the southern boundaries,and are legends on a worldwide scale.I dont acknowledge them(UGK)as being on that level.

• I don't get why people think this is about taste - it's not.

but, like I siad before, don't let things like common sense and respect get in the way of this asshurt festival.

people carry on

Look, nobody is served by the retreat into relativism that you advocate, wherein we all run naked through our own private mind gardens rejoicing in the fact that we can crown whatever artists resonate with us personally legends and ignore all those that don't.

You cannot buy a tool at Home Depot that has a little dial on top which provides a wholly objective measure of "legendariness," but you can make an argument based on considerably more objective qualities than whether or not you personally like the artist in question. Most people would agree that two of the principal such qualities would be an (1) artist's sustained popularity amongst rap's core audience, i.e. young Black Americans, and (2) that artist's influence on his peers. By those two measures, there are not a whole lot of artists that can compete with UGK--a few dozen, on the outside. UGK was massively popular amongst Black audiences in the South (and if you want to contest that point, you simply have no idea what you're talking about) and there are a whole lot more Black people in that multi-state region than there are in New York City, the only place that most people on this board seem to think rap legends can spring from. And I guarantee you that if you were to poll the generation of Southern rappers that are currently running the game--T.I., Ludacris, Jeezy, Mike Jones, whoever--every single one of them would cite U.G.K. as a primary influence. The fact that Young Phonics missed out on the group while growing up in the Bay or that you ignored them while growing up in the suburbs of Los Angeles has nothing to do with any of this.

Round and Round weeeeeeee goooooooo

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

your hypocricy is legendary.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im a legend

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    im a legend

• neither one can speak for others but both should have respect for the other persons belief.

your hypocricy is legendary.

explain

(Page 7 batches, keep on pushin)