Bun B vs. Byron Crawford

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    neither one can speak for others but both should have respect for the other persons belief.

your hypocricy is legendary.

explain

The fact that you need it explained...:melt:

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    neither one can speak for others but both should have respect for the other persons belief.

your hypocricy is legendary.

explain

(Page 17[/b] batches, keep on pushin)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I dont think that there is any dispute that they are "Southern Rap Legends" but thats where their legendary status stops.Where as with Scarface and Outkast they have surpassed the southern boundaries,and are legends on a worldwide scale.I dont acknowledge them(UGK)as being on that level.

You're not the first person to offer that compromise in this thread.

Here's the thing, though: Southern rap is no longer a ghetto within rap's larger landscape. In 2006, Southern rap pretty much is rap's landscape. It simply makes no sense to argue that one of the principal figures responsible for the South's current dominance is merely a regional legend.

And to be really real with it? A lot of the New York-based schitt that everybody on this site cherishes really only had a regional impact. Illmatic? My personal belief is that it's the greatest rap album ever and it's the cornerstone of Nas's legacy. But you know what? Back in 1994, outside the locii of a few college campuses, nobody in Atlanta was very interested in it. Tribe Called Quest? One of my three or four favorite acts of all time. But back in the mid-nineties in Atlanta? Same thing--the only folks that ever wanted to talk about them with me were people that had moved there from up north. It was all about U.G.K., Ball & G, bass music. Get a little damn perspective.

• artist's sustained popularity amongst rap's core audience, i.e. young Black Americans

since when has this been true?

Have you gone to a hip-hop show in the last 20 years?

Rap music has proved extraordinarily resistant to the music industry's efforts to bypass the Black audience and to conjure rap stars out of nothing. Very rarely does a rapper attract the platinum-plus sales that a white audience can give him without first being cosigned by a Black audience. If you don't understand this, you really don't belong in this thread.

getting credibility from the black youth demographic does not mean that it is its core audience. Simply means that a lot of people are insecure in their tastes and need some sort of justification to accept an artist.

The core audience would be the ones that go to their shows, buy their album, and cheerlead whenever they feel someone threatening the legitamacy of the performer.

• And to be really real with it? A lot of the New York-based schitt that everybody on this site cherishes really only had a regional impact. Illmatic? My personal belief is that it's the greatest rap album ever and it's the cornerstone of Nas's legacy. But you know what? Back in 1994, outside the locii of a few college campuses, nobody in Atlanta was very interested in it. Tribe Called Quest? One of my three or four favorite acts of all time. But back in the mid-nineties in Atlanta? Same thing--the only folks that ever wanted to talk about them with me were people that had moved there from up north. It was all about U.G.K., Ball & G, bass music.

Dude this is exactly what I've been saying to you. It's all relative. Although I think you'd be hard pressed find someone to agree with you that Nas is just a regional phenomenon.

UGK didn't hit in California, just cause you were in an area where Rdin' dirty meant something more than cheap used CD doesn't mean that your experience supersedes the reality of the situation

Get a little damn perspective.

And to be really real with it? A lot of the New York-based schitt that everybody on this site cherishes really only had a regional impact. Illmatic? My personal belief is that it's the greatest rap album ever and it's the cornerstone of Nas's legacy. But you know what? Back in 1994, outside the locii of a few college campuses, nobody in Atlanta was very interested in it. Tribe Called Quest? One of my three or four favorite acts of all time. But back in the mid-nineties in Atlanta? Same thing--the only folks that ever wanted to talk about them with me were people that had moved there from up north. It was all about U.G.K., Ball & G, bass music. Get a little damn perspective.

I didn't wanna have to take it there, but there's nothing but truth in these statements. What people on SS consider legendary wasn't nearly as large as they would like to remember. Not to say that no one in this region bought or bumped their shit, but they were few and far between. That shit was undergroud for a reason, ie., few cared for it.

Most of the legends that people refer to, even the ones on Soulman's list, are the footnotes in this region. More people can quote you the words of RP Cola's "Dope Fiend" than can any single recorded song by the Juice Crew & Native Tongues combined.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    getting credibility from the black youth demographic does not mean that it is its core audience.

which one of those dudes in Young_Guzzo?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Amazon is great for determining the 'true' value of a used CD, nationwide. Something thats highly in demand will rarely be less than $7-8, while plenty of massively successful rap CDs from the 90s that didn't stand the test of time are now available from dozens of dealers for like 80 cents

I just looked up RIDIN' DIRTY, and the cheapest used copy is $14.18 (new price $14.98)

It's EXTREMELY unusual to see used prices starting that high on something still in print

Looks like a lot of folks are trying to catch up...

• which one of those dudes in Young_Guzzo?

I tried hackeysack twice
    once in high school when I saw a bunch of people I knew standing in a circle waiting for the school officer to open the gate. I sucked at it and went back to reading whatever african-american biography I was reading that week (backpacker was the way I rolled)

At the first Coachella I was flipped on a combination of shrooms and weed and saw some dredlocked dudes kicking one arond. I gave it another try but realized my time would be better spent getting a good position for Morrisseys performance.

I can play get like me, and whiteboy rhyme cyphers better than most though

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Here's the thing, though: Southern rap is no longer a ghetto within rap's larger landscape. In 2006, Southern rap pretty much is rap's landscape. It simply makes no sense to argue that one of the principal figures responsible for the South's current dominance is merely a regional legend.

True,but if you ask the current hip hop audience,who is Bun B,compared to T.I. they'll tell you he's just someone "old school" that he did a favor for regardless to T.I's acknowledgement that he was a big influence on him.
    I dont think this current audience cares about a your legendary status if your stuff isnt "hitting in the clubs,radio,mixtapes etc" and that is the sad truth,our age group are the only ones that continue to view things in this way.

• Here's the thing, though: Southern rap is no longer a ghetto within rap's larger landscape. In 2006, Southern rap pretty much is rap's landscape. It simply makes no sense to argue that one of the principal figures responsible for the South's current dominance is merely a regional legend.

True,but if you ask the current hip hop audience,who is Bun B,compared to T.I. they'll tell you he's just someone "old school" that he did a favor for regardless to T.I's acknowledgement that he was a big influence on him.
    I dont think this current audience cares about a your legendary status if your stuff isnt "hitting in the clubs,radio,mixtapes etc" and that is the sad truth,our age group are the only ones that continue to view things in this way.

B/W

Daniel youre showing your age

• Here's the thing, though: Southern rap is no longer a ghetto within rap's larger landscape. In 2006, Southern rap pretty much is rap's landscape. It simply makes no sense to argue that one of the principal figures responsible for the South's current dominance is merely a regional legend.

Bun's latest album went gold. he's on a beyonce song. the current hip hop audience knows who he is.

• Amazon is great for determining the 'true' value of a used CD, nationwide. Something thats highly in demand will rarely be less than $7-8, while plenty of massively successful rap CDs from the 90s that didn't stand the test of time are now available from dozens of dealers for like 80 cents

I just looked up RIDIN' DIRTY, and the cheapest used copy is $14.18 (new price $14.98)

It's EXTREMELY unusual to see used prices starting that high on something still in print

well than I guess Anticon are the Beatles

Sonned-ed

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

POPULARITY DOESNT ESTABLISH LEGENDARY STATUS.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Newsflash[/b]: They'll say the same thing about Rakim.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

UGK didn't hit in California, quote]

You can't even get your observations correct, let alone your laughable conclusions.

Again, UGK's first album was huge in South Central LA.

Also, you really underestimate the sheer numbers presented by the Southern rap market.

Makes me think of Austin legend DJ Cassanova one time telling me that at the time that his group Project Crew dropped during the late-80's that Houston represented the largest rap music buying locale in the entire world, NYC and LA included. I'd have to see some numbers to be fully convinced, but then again I do not doubt Cass for a second...especially since I had lived in both LA and Houston during that time frame and based on first hand comparisons, it makes sense to me.

Ultimately though, what warms my heart is that the opinions of people like you who basically try to place their suburban-based rap perspective above urban-based perspectives are becoming less and less important by the day.

Soon, if we aren't already, we'll be calling Z-Ro a legend and an outsider like you will have absolutely no inkling as to why.

Personally, I like it that way.

he's on a beyonce song.[/b]

So are you guys really gonna be that shocked when the kids are bumping the next UGK single??

Amazon is great for determining the 'true' value of a used CD, nationwide. Something thats highly in demand will rarely be less than $7-8, while plenty of massively successful rap CDs from the 90s that didn't stand the test of time are now available from dozens of dealers for like 80 cents

Sonned-ed

OOP CD prices are absolutely bananacakes on Amazon, and I clearly stated above they're not at all relevant to my point... plaese try again

• Amazon is great for determining the 'true' value of a used CD, nationwide. Something thats highly in demand will rarely be less than $7-8, while plenty of massively successful rap CDs from the 90s that didn't stand the test of time are now available from dozens of dealers for like 80 cents

Sonned-ed

White Dawg is the king of the south

OOP CD prices are absolutely bananacakes on Amazon, and I clearly stated above they're not at all relevant to my point... plaese try again

Sonned-ed

google image search "backpeddling"

i'm officially out of this thread.

Bun's latest album went gold. he's on a beyonce song. the current hip hop audience knows who he is.

Pretty much. I would add only that he went gold on Rap-a-Lot, without the benefit of major label promotion. People most definitely continue to check for Bun B. Of course, even had his solo album tanked, it wouldn't have diminished the legend that he cemented during his preceding sixteen years in the game. That would be like discounting Run-DMC's legacy based on respective 32.6K and 2.5K that their most recent albums have moved.

I dont think this current audience cares about a your legendary status if your stuff isnt "hitting in the clubs,radio,mixtapes etc"[/b] and that is the sad truth,our age group are the only ones that continue to view things in this way.

If you that Bun B hasn't been hitting in clubs, on the radio or in mixtapes in the last two years, you're extremely disconnected.

DJ Drama & Bun B
    Gangsta Grillz : Legend[/b] Series Vol. 1

DJ Drama presents the first edition in his GG Legends Series with the
    legendary Bun B. from the southern pioneers U.G.K. - this mixtape has
    unreleased tracks/freestyles alongside classics & commentary from B.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Newsflash[/b]: They dont even know about who or what a Rakim is.

I dont think this current audience cares about a your legendary status if your stuff isnt "hitting in the clubs,radio,mixtapes etc"[/b] and that is the sad truth,our age group are the only ones that continue to view things in this way.

If you that Bun B hasn't been hitting in clubs, on the radio or in mixtapes in the last two years, you're extremely disconnected.

DJ Drama & Bun B
    Gangsta Grillz : Legend[/b] Series Vol. 1

DJ Drama presents the first edition in his GG Legends Series with the
    legendary Bun B. from the southern pioneers U.G.K. - this mixtape has
    unreleased tracks/freestyles alongside classics & commentary from B.

Not to mention, Bun has been the mixtape cameo kingpin the last two years, and I can't think of a single occasion when he didn't basically show up the rapper that invited him.

Get familiar.

UGK didn't hit in California, quote]

You can't even get your observations correct, let alone your laughable conclusions.

Again, UGK's first album was huge in South Central LA.

Also, you really underestimate the sheer numbers presented by the Southern rap market.

Makes me think of Austin legend DJ Cassanova one time telling me that at the time that his group Project Crew dropped during the late-80's that Houston represented the largest rap music buying locale in the entire world, NYC and LA included. I'd have to see some numbers to be fully convinced, but then again I do not doubt Cass for a second...especially since I had lived in both LA and Houston during that time frame and based on first hand comparisons, it makes sense to me.

Ultimately though, what warms my heart is that the opinions of people like you who basically try to place their suburban-based rap perspective above urban-based perspectives are becoming less and less important by the day.

Soon, if we aren't already, we'll be calling Z-Ro a legend and an outsider like you will have absolutely no inkling as to why.

Post of the day!!!

• UGK didn't hit in California, quote]

Dude first things first you know nothing of where I grew up in LA or where I was hanging out since then. I've sat back and watched you type up hilarious shit about how you're an expert on the project blowed scene without any credibility. Who the fuck do you even know from there? and just in case youre wondering, having ngafish accept you as his buddy on MySpace does not make you "close" to anything

now that we got your little pigeonhole ideals back in check lets get it straight never once did I hear folks in East LA, Hollywood, Carson, West Covina, or even 43rd & Crenshaw preaching the virtues of UGK. You and your friens may have been gun toting hackeysack playing backpackers trying to be down with whatever scene you set up in your own mind garden but the reality was the 90's were not a time of UGK worship in Los Angeles. Shit belonged to death row, westside connect, cypress hill/ Psycho realm and all things related to the 3. I'll concede that Project Blowed held it down for a specific audience, but even local radio wasn't touching it and you damn sure weren't hearing ATU in the clubs.

I worked in LA record stores for years, I also worked for Meanstreet which served as both a label and distributor for a lot of the Priject Blowed shite you rah-rah about so much. I can cite my sources and where I'm coming from, can you?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Newsflash[/b]: S>They dont even know about who or what a Rakim is./S>

not necessarily true.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    now that we got your little pigeonhole ideals back in check lets get it straight never once did I hear folks in East LA, Hollywood, Carson, West Covina, or even 43rd & Crenshaw preaching the virtues of UGK. You and your friens may have been gun toting hackeysack playing backpackers trying to be down with whatever scene you set up in your own mind garden but the reality was the 90's were not a time of UGK worship in Los Angeles.

explain "Pistol Grip Pump" then? sheer coincidence?