Bun B vs. Byron Crawford

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hommy:

Not trying to deny Bun's skills, but dude is irrelevant out here. Seriously....The same was/is happening to 40 and short in places like New York.

Dude... 40 getting no play on NY radio didn't make him irrelevant. You're whole "it's not poppin' in the Bay" attitude is tres little dude.

he has a point though. If his area ain't feeling it how is he possibly going to go along with all the people speaking from regions where your more likely to hear about Bun B or UGK.

No he doesn't. We live in the 21st Century, in which sources of information other than immediate personal experience are available to us.

dude just cause your bedroom walls are filled with UGK posters doesn't mean a DJ in San Francisco is going to worship your decor.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Someone please post that popcorn eating gremlin...
    10 pager?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hommy:

Not trying to deny Bun's skills, but dude is irrelevant out here. Seriously....The same was/is happening to 40 and short in places like New York.

Dude... 40 getting no play on NY radio didn't make him irrelevant. You're whole "it's not poppin' in the Bay" attitude is tres little dude.

he has a point though. If his area ain't feeling it how is he possibly going to go along with all the people speaking from regions where your more likely to hear about Bun B or UGK.

No he doesn't. We live in the 21st Century, in which sources of information other than immediate personal experience are available to us.

dude just cause your bedroom walls are filled with UGK posters doesn't mean a DJ in San Francisco is going to worship your decor.

We're trying to talk about rap music in this thread. You should leave before you embarass yourself.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He's a hip-hop legend. Period.

Cosign.

Just like E-40, regional pillars = legendary.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    regional pillars = legendary.

-Paul Wall

"They laid the foundation for the South and they never really got their credit," David Banner says. "You know how Jay-Z is to New York? UGK was Jay-Z to us, but they never got any credit [nationally] until they did a song with Jay-Z [1999's Big Pimpin' ]. Pimp C by far is one of the tightest producers ever."

• He's a hip-hop legend. Period.

Cosign.

Apples and Oranges. Plus To my knowledge, 40 has put out way more albums that you can actually purchase in any chain through 90's to the present, video play on BEt, National Ads etc...

hasn't UGK released 3 actual albums?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

And there you go. Personally, shit like this is alwaaaaays more entertaining than a bunch of hut huggers slapping each other on the ass and high-fiving over shit that will be passe in a few years. Is that a bandwagon I hear approaching? Hey fellas! Lets jump on!

SALTY!

How dare I be so rude?

at best.

At best.

And all of this talk of bandwagons and things that will be passe in a few years might bring dudes some comfort as they huddle in their private mindgardens longing for a return to the days of boom-bap, but it has zero basis in reality. It may be new to some of the people on SoulStrut, but it's not new to a lot of people in the real world. UGK has been making quality music for a decade and a half--what the f**k else do you want?

Hommy:

I think you guys are throwing the term legend around too freely. A legend in certain circles, definetly, but not across the Hip-Hop "spectrum".

the same could be said about Dilla. I know for a fact that back when I lived in the Bay, UGK got play in Oakland. You're sounding real disconnected from the Town right now playboy!

Certain circles = what? You really think that UGK is on because of bloggers?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Cosign.

Apples and Oranges. Plus To my knowledge, 40 has put out way more albums that you can actually purchase in any chain through 90's to the present, video play on BEt, National Ads etc...

Four albums and, like E-40's records, they were all on Jive, so they were just as widely distributed.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hommy:

We're trying to talk about rap music in this thread. You should leave before you embarass yourself.

no your not really talking hip-hop now, youre talking about the surprise that whats hitting in your mind bubble isn't hitting in everyone elses. Dude get over yourself and respect dudes right to not want to ride Bun B's jock.

do you think youre going to make Young_phonics accept your tastes? Your argument isn't compelling and if its indicitive of the work you do in the courtroom its no wonder you spend a great deal of time in internet forums during the workday

• What you and your folks where bumpin' in Oakland doesn't reflect the reality of what was actually popular in the bay across the board.

2). I'll never claim to be connected to the 'Town. I'm well aware of my reality and my past (unlike certain clowns)

3). Was anyone really givn' a fuck about "PIMP C" before "the blog". (anyone meaning regular folks)

4). I was thinking the same thing how this argument has a lot of parralells (sp) with the arguemnt of Dilla's legendary status.

• He's a hip-hop legend. Period.

Cosign.

Four albums and, like E-40's records, they were all on Jive, so they were just as widely distributed.

and yet they still didn't get no club or radio play in the bay.

• Hommy:

no your not really talking hip-hop now, youre talking about the surprise that whats hitting in your mind bubble isn't hitting in everyone elses. Dude get over yourself and respect dudes right to not want to ride Bun B's jock.

do you think youre going to make Young_phonics accept your tastes? Your argument isn't compelling and if its indicitive of the work you do in the courtroom its no wonder you spend a great deal of time in internet forums during the workday

IT'S WHEN PEOPLE STOP ACTING POLITE! AND START ACTING REAL!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What you and your folks where bumpin' in Oakland doesn't reflect the reality of what was actually popular in the bay across the board.

2). I'll never claim to be connected to the 'Town. I'm well aware of my reality and my past (unlike certain clowns)

3). Was anyone really givn' a fuck about "PIMP C" before "the blog". (anyone meaning regular folks)

4). I was thinking the same thing how this argument has a lot of parralells (sp) with the arguemnt of Dilla's legendary status.

dude, I'm talking about cars driving by and shit, not me and my folks! "Pocket Full Of Stones" on menace soundtrack and shit. [past revealed] me and my folks were housers. [/past revealed]

And sorry, but Bay radio is a COMPLETE anomaly. It has no bearing whatsoever on what is actually getting play outside of the Bay, it's totally insular. I mean, I still hear "Return Of The Mack" when I'm out there!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Yep, everyone who bought the Menace II Society soundtrack and loved Pocket Full of Stones were just abnormal crackheads.

What a way to think!?!?!

• What you and your folks where bumpin' in Oakland doesn't reflect the reality of what was actually popular in the bay across the board.

dude, I'm talking about cars driving by and shit, not me and my folks! "Pocket Full Of Stones" on menace soundtrack and shit. [past revealed] me and my folks were housers. [/past revealed]

And sorry, but Bay radio is a COMPLETE anomaly. It has no bearing whatsoever on what is actually getting play outside of the Bay, it's totally insular. I mean, I still hear "Return Of The Mack" when I'm out there!

I'll play "pocket full of stones" on Friday just to prove how legendary UGK is.

"Return of the mack" is my SHIT! I remember hearing that at prom and gettin' my grind on. I think even rode the pony on my date.

• 3). Was anyone really givn' a fuck about "PIMP C" before "the blog". (anyone meaning regular folks)

Yep, everyone who bought the Menace II Society soundtrack and loved Pocket Full of Stones were just abnormal crackheads.

What a way to think!?!?!

WOW!

The dude who was talking about Black magic, science being irrelevant, and lizard people is saying "I'm a crackhead" who thinks funny.

but you of course know everyperson who bought that soundtrack and asked them why they purchased the album.

Again, Pocket Full of Stones will be dropped on Friday ...

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

Bun B's verse on the new David Banner album is ridiculoid.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Its about time soulstrut started arguing again. its been boring all week. looks like we've run out of race thread topics, but naming any southern rapper will still get shit popping.

I'm not hating though. My cuzzin Muffin Moe has a joint on the new Bun B album with Lil' Loaf.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Its about time soulstrut started arguing again. its been boring all week. looks like we've run out of race thread topics, but naming any southern rapper will still get shit popping.

"I get the job done"

• dayday 9,612 Posts

And there you go. Personally, shit like this is alwaaaaays more entertaining than a bunch of hut huggers slapping each other on the ass and high-fiving over shit that will be passe in a few years. Is that a bandwagon I hear approaching? Hey fellas! Lets jump on!

SALTY!

How dare I be so rude?

at best.

At best.

And all of this talk of bandwagons and things that will be passe in a few years might bring dudes some comfort as they huddle in their private mindgardens longing for a return to the days of boom-bap, but it has zero basis in reality. It may be new to some of the people on SoulStrut, but it's not new to a lot of people in the real world. UGK has been making quality music for a decade and a half--what the f**k else do you want?

Hommy:

I think you guys are throwing the term legend around too freely. A legend in certain circles, definetly, but not across the Hip-Hop "spectrum".

No, that compromise isn't doing it.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    this was awesome.

i agree Bun B/UGK is legendary in certain circles. However I know for a fact that UGK never sold shit outside the south and ESPECIALLY not in LA when Ridin Dirty dropped. I know a guy that bought 10,000 copies of their CD for a dime apiece and another guy that bought all their vinyl and an equal number of CDs up for a dime apiece as well when the stores here couldn't sell it. The only reason this came up is becausae I was looking for the CD and he laughed when I brought it up.

Does that mean UGK didn't get play out here? Nope. Does that mean that no one liked them out here? nope. But it does question an across the board "Legendary Status". There are bunch of artists I would consider legendary status, and sorry from my view, UGK is pretty far down that list even though I do like alot of their catalog.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    thank you for what might be the first coherent reply regarding the topic of bun b's "legendary status"... you were able to get your point across clearly and calmly without calling everyone a fucking idiot... i feel the EXACT same way... never said i didn't like him... just never felt that he was a "legend"...

it's been a full 24 hours since i made my comments... and god knows i wish i'd been able to stick a piece of coal up a couple of yer asses, 'cause i'd have DIAMONDS by now.

Whats so awesome about this thread is that it winds up proving the original post's point.... "southern rap" fans really ARE a pain in the ass. You guys are acting EXACTLY how he described it....getting ass-hurt at the mere idea that somebody doesn't like the same thing as you..... HILARIOUS.

THREADS LIKE THIS ARE WHY I LOVE SOULSTRUT.

(when it works)

Rakim never got any real radio or club play down here, aside from "Eric B for President". I could play that song in the club on Saturday and it will most assuredly fall flat when compared to "Let me see it" - UGK. Does that negate Rakim's "legendary" status?

Young Phonics, I'm looking at you for an answer.

A lot of you dudes are seriosuly corny and should really re-evaluate why you listen to rap in the first place.

Whats so awesome about this thread is that it winds up proving the original post's point.... "southern rap" fans really ARE a pain in the ass. You guys are acting EXACTLY how he described it....getting ass-hurt at the mere idea that somebody doesn't like the same thing as you..... HILARIOUS.

THREADS LIKE THIS ARE WHY I LOVE SOULSTRUT.

(when it works)

speaking of corny...

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    i'm not siding with byron on this one... but since when is Bun B a "hiphop legend"???

Since this...

They are local legends may be, but not hip hop legends. Geto Boys are legendary.
    Can you find a feature on UGK in an internationally recognized magazine calling them legendary before Pimp C went to jail ? Was any DJ outside of Texas giving them decent airplay ? Did they regularly appear on national TV ? Did they ever tour outside of America ?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    people may not personally recognize bun b or ugk as legends, but if you are unable to realize bun b's skill as a rapper or at least recognize that others may hold rappers in high regard that you dont, you need to reevaluate your perspective.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Rakim never got any real radio or club play down here, aside from "Eric B for President". I could play that song in the club on Saturday and it will most assuredly fall flat when compared to "Let me see it" - UGK. Does that negate Rakim's "legendary" status?

A lot of you dudes are seriosuly corny and should really re-evaluate why you listen to rap in the first place.

Rakim got played in Montreal. Nobody would know what UGK is here. They are as relevant here as 2nd II None.

I think you'd be well served to answer you own advice. Talking to you about music is like talking to Toronto Maple Leaf fans about their chances of winning the Stanley cup.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Rakim got played in Montreal. Nobody would know what UGK is here. They are as relevant here as 2nd II None.

I think you'd be well served to answer you own advice. Talking to you about music is like talking to Toronto Maple Leaf fans about their chances of winning the Stanley cup.
    i dont't know if relevance in montreal proves anything.north, south,west,mideast us NEVER plays canadian artists, but this has nothing to do with thier relevance back home.

I think you'd be well served to answer you own advice. Talking to you about music[/b] is like talking to Toronto Maple Leaf fans about their chances of winning the Stanley cup.

Sorry, but your canadian hockey references are lost on me, as would be any hockey references would be to most Black Americans.

And when have you ever talked to me about anything?

And a comparison of UGK to 2nd II None makes talking to you irrelevant.