Bun B vs. Byron Crawford

15678911»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    They may very well get play in the near future but I would attribute that to the sudden love for the south that record copanies have exploited/ created b/w internet buzz

since when does 8 years = sudden?

1998 No limit was hitting Rap-a-lot was hitting but I can't really think of any majors that were scouring the south for new talent. I'm not looking to pick a fight but let me know who you are referring to?

Seriously man. No clown shit, but you're just uninformed and I respect any real inquiry that would get you up to speed, but there's absolutely nothing new about "the new south".

just get over it and it'll be alot easier to cope when your kids wear are rocking some next level titanium teeth with pink moonrocks embedded in them.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Damn, Phill, that was a really good post--why'd you go and edit it?

Anyway, welcome back to the real and true SoulMan!

WHAT WAS I TALKING ABOUT IN THE POST I EDITED??????

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    They may very well get play in the near future but I would attribute that to the sudden love for the south that record copanies have exploited/ created b/w internet buzz

1998 No limit was hitting Rap-a-lot was hitting but I can't really think of any majors that were scouring the south for new talent. I'm not looking to pick a fight but let me know who you are referring to?

Cash Money
    Trick Daddy
    Outkast

Suave House...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Damn, Phill, that was a really good post--why'd you go and edit it?

• They may very well get play in the near future but I would attribute that to the sudden love for the south that record copanies have exploited/ created b/w internet buzz

Cash Money
    Trick Daddy
    Outkast

in '98 Trick Daddy wasn't getting national love, I was working in a record store in Las Vegas when I finally read about dude in Ice Magazine. regional push yes, national push no.

Cash Money hit on the national tip with Juvenile's 400 degreez which starting getting national play in 99 (possibly late '98)

Outkast youre absolutely right about.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    a few years ago when i was regularly buying and checking large collections of rap tapes from the late 80s/early 90s, usually from the midwest or DC, it was astonishing how common "regional" acts like Too Short or the Geto Boys would be in comparision to their NY "legendary" counterparts, many of whom were completely unaccounted for. Shit like LL, BDP, Public Enemy would turn up pretty regularly, but the lyrically lyrical types like g rap or rakim were nearly non-existant. i remember holding quadruples of don't stop rappin for a minute, where i didn't even have one paid in full

Cash Money
    Trick Daddy
    Outkast

Suave House...

Freak Nasty (no he didn't!)

• Freak Nasty (no he didn't!)

legendary!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    in '98 Trick Daddy wasn't getting national love, I was working in a record store in Las Vegas when I finally read about dude in Ice Magazine. regional push yes, national push no.

The Box was playing "Nann" about ten times a day in jersey.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

That record was also all over radio in the Bay (which has always given Daddy Dollars a lot of love).

Basically. The question was "...I can't really think of any majors that were scouring the south for new talent. I'm not looking to pick a fight but let me know who you are referring to?"

And I believe Atlantic entered into the distribution deal with Slip-n-Slide based on the success of "Nann"/www.thug.com.

As to Cash Money, that's slicing it meaninglessly thin. 400 Degrees was certified platinum within the first four months of 1999, and the deal with Universal preceded its release in November of 1998.

• in '98 Trick Daddy wasn't getting national love, I was working in a record store in Las Vegas when I finally read about dude in Ice Magazine. regional push yes, national push no.

regions are regions.

Alls I know is working at a record where I was specifically brought in cause they needed someone to help with the hip-hop no one asked about Trick Daddy, all I remember specifically beyond learning about him in Ice Magazine was that really shitty www.thug.com cover that you'd see in source ads. and the folks I knew were more laughing and bunching it in with all the other pen and pixel albums that were advertised right alongside.

BTW how did we get from Trying to prove universal recognition of Bun B as a legend to trying to figure out when Trick Daddy got a national push?

• in '98 Trick Daddy wasn't getting national love, I was working in a record store in Las Vegas when I finally read about dude in Ice Magazine. regional push yes, national push no.

Basically. The question was "...I can't really think of any majors that were scouring the south for new talent. I'm not looking to pick a fight but let me know who you are referring to?"

And I believe Atlantic entered into the distribution deal with Slip-n-Slide based on the success of "Nann"/www.thug.com.

As to Cash Money, that's slicing it meaninglessly thin. 400 Degrees was certified platinum within the first four months of 1999, and the deal with Universal preceded its release in November of 1998.

but now you see at least where I'm coming from (in tangent #3423214 of a thread was nothing but pointless arguing for my enjoyment)

Nationally shit didn't start popping off for many southern rappers until the very tail end of the 90's. Local markets in LA weren't playing much southern rap outside of maybe Outkast and some Scarface.

To say that UGK are in the upper echelon of worldwide hip-hop fan respect is a bit of a stretch.

They still haven't made into mainstream LA hip-hop radioplay. I've yet to hear them at a club, I've yet to hear people outside of hip-hop nerdfests like internet forums buzz about them and because of that their legendary status should be thought of as regional, not national and certainly not worldwide

and in contrast Hyphy blew the fuck out here a few months back, and I mean BLEW UP! its inescapable now.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Here's the thing though Adam: to you and your friends, all these artists were just wack pen-n-pixel covers. You just said it yourself. You were working in a record store where you were charged with finding rap to stock, and you wrote off one of the most happening new artists because you and your friends thought it was a joke.

I understand that type - I know a lot of guys that continue to think that shit is trash. Unfortunately for them, the world has moved on to accept and embrace the better acts in the scene and they are left sounding like cranky old men.

There used to be these huge ads for Leopolds (yeah!) in the source and other mags, and to many people it was just dudes with funny names and funnier covers. Those that knew what was up though were checking for that Lil Bruce or Bullies Wit Fullies or what have you up to the latest Too Short. Now you have a lot of folks, who probably dismissed that stuff cranking tracks like "What It Do" but not knowing who Bullies Wit Fullies are. Or checking for "Burn Rubber" because of Josh & Ross's CD but used to dismiss Short as a regional act.

I can't really get with that shit, even back in the days of tape slanging and "unsigned & hella broke" dudes would read Murder Dog and do shows with those cats because those were the opportunities one was afforded without label backing. I find that local scenes cause the biggest arguments because they catch most casual rap fans by total surprise. These cats tend to dismiss those scenes rather than admit to not knowing them (or being wrong about them in the past).

but now you see at least where I'm coming from

If you mean that everybody can now see that you are coming from a place of complete ignorance and tortured logic then, yes, I suppose we do now all see that much.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I find that local scenes cause the biggest arguments because they catch most casual rap fans by total surprise. These cats tend to dismiss those scenes rather than admit to not knowing them (or being wrong about them in the past).

and we just summed up eight pages in two sentences....

• Here's the thing though Adam: to you and your friends, all these artists were just wack pen-n-pixel covers. You just said it yourself. You were working in a record store where you were charged with finding rap to stock, and you wrote off one of the most happening new artists because you and your friends thought it was a joke.

I understand that type - I know a lot of guys that continue to think that shit is trash. Unfortunately for them, the world has moved on to accept and embrace the better acts in the scene and they are left sounding like cranky old men.

you know what I can't argue it, youre right in 1998-2000 people weren't asking for any of that Pen and Pixel stuff beyond a couple of No Limit releases and Juvenile and BG. I worked with the crowd and the scene of the time. Once agian it goes to show regionalism.

Why is it so hard for people to see that something that surrounded ones immediate area did not hit EVERYWHERE else?

Local experiences and hindsight is the rut were stuck in

Here's the thing though Adam: to you and your friends, all these artists were just wack pen-n-pixel covers. You just said it yourself. You were working in a record store where you were charged with finding rap to stock, and you wrote off one of the most happening new artists because you and your friends thought it was a joke.

you know what I can't argue it, youre right in 1998-2000 people weren't asking for any of that Pen and Pixel stuff beyond a couple of No Limit releases and Juvenile and BG. I worked with the crowd and the scene of the time. Once agian it goes to show regionalism.

Why is it so hard for people to see that something that surrounded ones immediate area did not hit EVERYWHERE else?

Nobody disputes that. What people dispute is your contention that a given artist must have consistently hit in every single corner of the country in order to qualify as a rap legend.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    wow. ive never seen someone jerk off this long without coming.

hey, may i suggest a HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME IM GUZZO DAY[/b] so as to prevent the kid's epileptic fits of ignorance.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Nobody disputes that. What people dispute is your contention that a given artist must have consistently hit in every single corner of the country in order to qualify as a rap legend.

This is a sensible statement. Would you say that Aceyalone is a rap legend?

• Here's the thing though Adam: to you and your friends, all these artists were just wack pen-n-pixel covers. You just said it yourself. You were working in a record store where you were charged with finding rap to stock, and you wrote off one of the most happening new artists because you and your friends thought it was a joke.

This is a sensible statement. Would you say that Aceyalone is a rap legend?

PAGE 9!

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I haven't read a word of this thread...but I would like to add that the Mike "5000" Watts Chopped & Screwed remix of Trill is opening my mind right now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What people dispute is your contention that a given artist must have consistently hit in every single corner of the country in order to qualify as a rap legend.