Bun B vs. Byron Crawford

Comments

• does anyone think that rap from houston would be as successful today if there never was no UGK?

personally i would have to say no

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

UGK didn't hit in California, quote]

Ultimately though, what warms my heart is that the opinions of people like you who basically try to place their suburban-based rap perspective above urban-based perspectives are becoming less and less important by the day.

Soon, if we aren't already, we'll be calling Z-Ro a legend and an outsider like you will have absolutely no inkling as to why.

Personally, I like it that way.

Dude first things first you know nothing of where I grew up in LA or where I was hanging out since then. I've sat back and watched you type up hilarious shit about how you're an expert on the project blowed scene without any credibility. Who the fuck do you even know from there? and just in case youre wondering, having ngafish accept you as his buddy on MySpace does not make you "close" to anything

Knowing Arch in person, I can attest to his close and immediate contact (AYO!) with PB artists. Again, your ass speaketh what your ass not knoweth.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    On another note, don't you think it's a bit pathetic for a Port Arthur legend of this caliber to waste 15 minutes of his time bragging in the comment section of some blog that Self Scientific and Chino XL are fan of his records ?

• now that we got your little pigeonhole ideals back in check lets get it straight never once did I hear folks in East LA, Hollywood, Carson, West Covina, or even 43rd & Crenshaw preaching the virtues of UGK. You and your friens may have been gun toting hackeysack playing backpackers trying to be down with whatever scene you set up in your own mind garden but the reality was the 90's were not a time of UGK worship in Los Angeles.

explain "Pistol Grip Pump" then? sheer coincidence?

exception to the rule.

outside of that PB wasn't even getting love from the hip-hop specialty shows of the time (wake up show, Friday Night Flavas)

• Not to mention, Bun has been the mixtape cameo kingpin the last two years, and I can't think of a single occasion when he didn't basically show up the rapper that invited him.
    Get familiar.

I will respectfully disagree--sort of--on one song and one song only: Paul Wall/Killer Mike/Bun B - Dats What Dat Is. I say "sort of" because "the rapper that invited him" (Paw Waw) did indeed get show'd up, but Killer Mike sooaaarves everyone on that song.

now that we got your little pigeonhole ideals back in check lets get it straight never once did I hear folks in East LA, Hollywood, Carson, West Covina, or even 43rd & Crenshaw preaching the virtues of UGK. You and your friens may have been gun toting hackeysack playing backpackers trying to be down with whatever scene you set up in your own mind garden but the reality was the 90's were not a time of UGK worship in Los Angeles.

You see Noz, Guzzo doesn't even know that Volume10 interpolated UGK on that song, because he's DISCONNECTED FROM THE STREETS!!!

• On another note, don't you think it's a bit pathetic for a Port Arthur legend of this caliber to waste 15 minutes of his time bragging in the comment section of some blog that Self Scientific and Chino XL are fan of his records ?

On the contrary, it only adds to his legend when he magically pops up out of nowhere and sons some blogging hattmonger.

now that we got your little pigeonhole ideals back in check lets get it straight never once did I hear folks in East LA, Hollywood, Carson, West Covina, or even 43rd & Crenshaw preaching the virtues of UGK. You and your friens may have been gun toting hackeysack playing backpackers trying to be down with whatever scene you set up in your own mind garden but the reality was the 90's were not a time of UGK worship in Los Angeles.

exception to the rule.

outside of that PB wasn't even getting love from the hip-hop specialty shows of the time (wake up show, Friday Night Flavas)

See Noz, Guzzo didn't get your reference.

Guzzo doesn't even know that Volume10 interpolated UGK on that song, because he's DISCONNECTED FROM THE STREETS!!!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

Dude first things first you know nothing of where I grew up in LA or where I was hanging out since then. I've sat back and watched you type up hilarious shit about how you're an expert on the project blowed scene without any credibility. Who the fuck do you even know from there? and just in case youre wondering, having ngafish accept you as his buddy on MySpace does not make you "close" to anything

now that we got your little pigeonhole ideals back in check lets get it straight never once did I hear folks in East LA, Hollywood, Carson, West Covina, or even 43rd & Crenshaw preaching the virtues of UGK. You and your friens may have been gun toting hackeysack playing backpackers trying to be down with whatever scene you set up in your own mind garden but the reality was the 90's were not a time of UGK worship in Los Angeles. Shit belonged to death row, westside connect, cypress hill/ Psycho realm and all things related to the 3. I'll concede that Project Blowed held it down for a specific audience, but even local radio wasn't touching it and you damn sure weren't hearing ATU in the clubs.

I worked in LA record stores for years, I also worked for Meanstreet which served as both a label and distributor for a lot of the Priject Blowed shite you rah-rah about so much. I can cite my sources and where I'm coming from, can you?

April 7th
    5:24pm EST

Guzzo = Archaic

• now that we got your little pigeonhole ideals back in check lets get it straight never once did I hear folks in East LA, Hollywood, Carson, West Covina, or even 43rd & Crenshaw preaching the virtues of UGK. You and your friens may have been gun toting hackeysack playing backpackers trying to be down with whatever scene you set up in your own mind garden but the reality was the 90's were not a time of UGK worship in Los Angeles.

You see Noz, Guzzo doesn't even know that Volume10 interpolated UGK on that song, because he's DISCONNECTED FROM THE STREETS!!!

it don't mean shit beyond that the artist and the producers knew what was up. fans weren't saying "Yo you know that pistol grip track, can you believe they used some UGK up in there"?

its like saying you must be a Bob James fan if you liked Peter Piper

Page 8, you are all my passion

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    the artist and the producers knew what was up.

but wouldn't this negate your thesis that nobody was checking for ugk in la? (see also: mean green)

but wouldn't this negate your thesis that nobody was checking for ugk in la? (see also: mean green)

shut the game down!!!

Sorry Guzzo, but you're approaching legendary assclown status.

• the artist and the producers knew what was up.

by nobody I meant the majority of peoples. C'mon you really think I meant not a single soul in a a city/suburaban spral of 12 million knew UGK?

just to make it absloutely clear:

UGK were not getting the same type of respect in LA that Westside Connection, Death Row, and Cypress Hill/ Psycho realm were getting.

New york Rappers like Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Lil Kim etc were accepted out here nearly as much as the above mentioned artists

as far as southern artists Geto Boys/ Scarface had love in LA, Master P did for a second too and after came Ludacris and the rest but I didn't hear ayone include UGK in talks of the south until just a couple years ago.

Radio didn't play them (both commercial and specialty)

the only Bun B/ UGK to get any play out here has been the Jay-Z collabo and the Beyonce track. Draped out did not make rotation out here.

They may very well get play in the near future but I would attribute that to the sudden love for the south that record copanies have exploited/ created b/w internet buzz

by nobody I meant the majority of peoples. C'mon you really think I meant not a single soul in a a city/suburaban spral of 12 million knew UGK?

just to make it absloutely clear:

UGK were not getting the same type of respect in LA that Westside Connection, Death Row, and Cypress Hill/ Psycho realm were getting.

Radio didn't play them (both commercial and specialty)

the only Bun B/ UGK to get any play out here has been the Jay-Z collabo and the Beyonce track. Draped out did not make rotation out here.

They may very well get play in the near future but I would attribute that to the sudden love for the south that record copanies have exploited/ created b/w internet buzz

legendary assclown status.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

UGK didn't hit in California, quote]

Ultimately though, what warms my heart is that the opinions of people like you who basically try to place their suburban-based rap perspective above urban-based perspectives are becoming less and less important by the day.

Soon, if we aren't already, we'll be calling Z-Ro a legend and an outsider like you will have absolutely no inkling as to why.

Personally, I like it that way.

now that we got your little pigeonhole ideals back in check lets get it straight never once did I hear folks in East LA, Hollywood, Carson, West Covina, or even 43rd & Crenshaw preaching the virtues of UGK. You and your friens may have been gun toting hackeysack playing backpackers trying to be down with whatever scene you set up in your own mind garden but the reality was the 90's were not a time of UGK worship in Los Angeles. Shit belonged to death row, westside connect, cypress hill/ Psycho realm and all things related to the 3. I'll concede that Project Blowed held it down for a specific audience, but even local radio wasn't touching it and you damn sure weren't hearing ATU in the clubs.

I worked in LA record stores for years, I also worked for Meanstreet which served as both a label and distributor for a lot of the Priject Blowed shite you rah-rah about so much. I can cite my sources and where I'm coming from, can you?

Volume 10 explicitly shouts out UGK on his Hip-Hopera LP from '94.

Around that same time, Rap-A-Lot also made it a point to come out to the Goodlife in order to sign Menace Clan.

That's all I feel like telling your ignorant ass right now.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    you know, if one were to judge legendary status by what got play on the radio in NYC, it would leave out A LOT of artists. Both from the tri-state and beyond.

Records like "Champion Of Love" and "Bad To The Bone (Remix)" got lots of play in NYC, but nowhere else. Yet, I would call G Rap legendary; 991 Volts, not so much.

While the actual points are being ignored again and again in this discussion, I think it's useful to reiterate them... radio & local embrace of an artist does not a legend make. A legend, IMO, is made through artistic influence and musical merit, over the course of time and through changes in trends. This is why I would call UGK legendary.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    You guys sure know how to waste time.

• While the actual points are being ignored again and again in this discussion, I think it's useful to reiterate them... radio & local embrace of an artist does not a legend make. A legend, IMO, is made through artistic influence and musical merit, over the course of time and through changes in trends. This is why I would call UGK legendary.

this is the closest this discussion has gotten towards a tangible definition of legend. As far as influence in the south goes no one can deny that UGK left a mark. as far as people EVERYWHERE feeling the same way about UGK that folks in the south do shit simply wasn't happening.

People want to go ahead and say that Volume 10 interpolated some UGK so therefore UGK must have been considered legends in LA, I'll debate it cause I feel it ain't true.

folks want to jump down my throat for refusing to concede that UGK are world wide hip-hop legends I'll chalk that up to insecurity about differing opinions

In the end I still think legend is a relative term

• You guys sure know how to waste time.

guess who's last day of work is today

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    dont really care about this thread`s legend debate or its direction
    But since there must be only the peeps that are passionate about his still here ill throw something in.

UGK`s status is a question of opinion.. For example I beleive Scarface is 'more' of a legend but some could still say that he was not super famous outside the south at the time (although arguably more than UGk) however a winning counterargument would be his records and peer influence/respect take the cake.

Well my point is to say no one was checking or knowing about UGK is wrong. I remeber the source would make it a point to comment on people like E-40 in a (the legend you may never have heard of kind of way)
    Well they did the same for UGK.

In a time of Rappin4-tay ads where the south rap was just a bunch of badly grpahised covers in source ads to me. I was always informed and conscious that UGK was a dude to check for and his record reviews and articles about his career would always have me checking for his stuff (his catalogue speaks for itself)
    Not sayin that the source is the only source of knoledge but to say he was not reconized before 2000 is proposterous.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

exception to the rule.

There was no Wake Up Show in LA during the time in question.

Just admit that you were too young (among other things) to know what the fuck was up in 92-94 and move on.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

since when does 8 years = sudden?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

• They may very well get play in the near future but I would attribute that to the sudden love for the south that record copanies have exploited/ created b/w internet buzz

1998 No limit was hitting Rap-a-lot was hitting but I can't really think of any majors that were scouring the south for new talent. I'm not looking to pick a fight but let me know who you are referring to?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Damn, Phill, that was a really good post--why'd you go and edit it?

Anyway, welcome back to the real and true SoulMan!

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    byron's prolly got a HUGE hard-on right now...

congratulations, people... it's now been 48 hours!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

1998 No limit was hitting Rap-a-lot was hitting but I can't really think of any majors that were scouring the south for new talent. I'm not looking to pick a fight but let me know who you are referring to?

Cash Money
    Trick Daddy
    Outkast