Bun B vs. Byron Crawford

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I agree with HAZBEEN on this, you gots to be internationally knowed to get into that particular special friends club.

Pathetic.

Sorry, but the acceptance of people outside of this country just isn't meaningful in this context.

Rap is Black American music.

"But is you jamming in Bucharest?!!"

Can anyone post a scan of any feature on UGK in a magazine before 2000 ?
    Or post radio playlists or tracklisting of mixtapes with their music ?
    Or post on Youtube any appearance on national TV ?

What exactly would any of that prove?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah, that would be really meaningful dude.

Maybe you weren't reading the Source and RapPages back in the early and mid-nineties. Maybe you don't remember their tremendous New Yorkcentric bias. Maybe you don't remember how little their coverage reflected what people elsewhere were actually listening to.

That's how rap artists are validated in your world? By magazine features and "appearances on national TV"?

Radio playlists and mixtape tracklists would be no problem if anybody happens to have them at hand.

• Rap is Black American music.

So why are you offering your opinion on it then?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

For these are the official[/b] channels of rap.

Forget what bumps out of cars or club speakers.

Forget the local rap experience.

It's all about whether Casey Kasem has given his sign of approval yet or not.

Yeah, that would be really meaningful dude.

Maybe you weren't reading the Source and RapPages back in the early and mid-nineties. Maybe you don't remember their tremendous New Yorkcentric bias. Maybe you don't remember how little their coverage reflected what people elsewhere were actually listening to.

That's how rap artists are validated in your world?[/b] By magazine features and "appearances on national TV"?

Radio playlists and mixtape tracklists would be no problem if anybody happens to have them at hand.

That's obviously how most people on SS validate "their" choices in rap, by what their tastemakers decide is fit for them to listen to/see.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I agree with HAZBEEN on this, you gots to be internationally knowed to get into that particular special friends club.

Pathetic.

Sorry, but the acceptance of people outside of this country just isn't meaningful in this context.

They get their shine from their area, but the big boys are played everywhere.

I'll make it less complicated. Take your thinking for Aceyalone's/PB's impact & press apply for UGK.

and why are you?

• List some names or your softserve baby doodoo.

And please make them all post 1990

There's no point, I'm European. I shouldn't even be allowed to listen to it, let alone discuss it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That's what you're not understanding--we're not really talking about opinions here. We're not talking about whether or not I think UGK makes good music.

We're talking about the fact that their music has been embraced and celebrated in Black American communities, and that's something that I can confirm firsthand.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

We're talking about the fact that their music has been embraced and celebrated in Black American communities, and that's something that I can confirm firsthand.

And Archaic has been saying the same thing about his scene for 2 years, and yet you don't take what he says seriously. What's good for the goose...

And Archaic has been saying the same thing about his scene for 2 years, and yet you don't take what he says seriously. What's good for the goose...

Dude. You don't know Archied and you don't know the true.

"at least %52 normal."

Just so you know, you're comparing statements that can be verified by literally millions of people to statements concerning reptilians controlling the globe.

bad look all around on that one.

I do think that Project Blowed as a collective is legendary, foremost because of their local experience but also for the stylistic imprint they have left on an even larger locale.

And I think that UGK are legendary for the same reasons.

But I can also take note that UGK is even more connected to a larger mass of core fans and cultural particpants than is Project Blowed.

Therefore in that regard...UGK > Project Blowed.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I'll make it less complicated. Take your thinking for Aceyalone's/PB's impact & press apply for UGK.

Inner City Griots did not sell half a million copies. There is no remake of "The Greatest Show On Earth" on the current #1 record in the country*. And I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure The Game does not own a "Free Self Jupiter" t-shirt.

Although at least one project blowedian was influenced by UGK:

*that country being the united states of america, home of rap music.

• Therefore in that regard...UGK > Project Blowed.

I am not ready for this.

Lemme get some more coffee.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    damn... 14 pages and yer all still arguing over whether or not he's a legend....

DID I DO THAT???

DID I DO THAT???

Please leave Mystikal out of this conversation.

• Rap is Black American music.

That's what you're not understanding--we're not really talking about opinions here. We're not talking about whether or not I think UGK makes good music.

please tell us more

(wheres that popcorn eating graemlin?)

• SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
    wow you soulstrutters sure do like to argue dont you? i wish i had as much free time as you all do hahahaha anyway...

i like batman's take on it as he related it to hoops. there are dufferent levels of legend status i would say......... dr. j is a legend on one level but pee wee kirkland is a legend on a smaller level but STILL very much a legend get me? that said i don't see why anyone would doubt bun b or ugk's legend status. gotta admit i never heard ugk in nyc or jersey when i was coming up (waaay too much bad boy and wu and boot camp etc runnin shit but i did rock some bone thugs i must admit) but just because they didnt play ugk in my hood dont mean they werent legends in THEIR regions feel me? i really dont know a goddammed thing about project blowed but thats freestyle fellowship right? again they wasnt bumpin that shit in no projects i ever went to but people tell me they are legends so who am i to argue??? like short dog, quik, e40......... i raely EVER heard that shit out here but i know goddam well those fools are LEGENDS thats whats up

and somebody brought up percy p as a legend too- well,,,,, i guess but i would go back another decade and pull THE COLD CRUSH BROTHERS out of my ass for you. no hit records ever but even though its ancient history who would doubt that the cold crush are legends (if they have ever even heard of them at all i guess)

legengs-

ugk
    freestyle fellowship
    mac dre
    wc (not the maad circle though they are not legends)
    dj quik
    mc eiht
    heiro
    big mike
    mc breed (YES)
    black moon
    kol g rap (dont forget he never went gold either i dont think)
    nine (invented the raspy style dont front)
    jungle brothers

and there are a LOT more legendary dudes down south that i dont really know that well but i know down south dudes do so thats good enough for me to admit they are LEGENDS it doesnt matter if they sold a lot maybe they just influenced others who DID go on to sell a lot....... thats enough to be a legend to me........... hope this puts an end to the bickering PEACE

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What's really astounding about this argument to me is here are the same people who would normally argue on behalf of some little-known underground artist, and how they deserve some shine despite not being able to get their music onto a worldwide stage whether it be through tours, radio, or television. It's like people switched sides and now the guys who are usually like, "even though they get no play in the streets or are not on radio doesn't mean that they don't make incredible hip-hop music!" are basically saying "UGK never got worldwide radio or video play, therefore they are merely a footnote on rap music."

It seems that the sole excuse for having never heard of UGK is that they never got radio or magazine coverage.

Do most great hip-hop groups? Does most great music? If you guys are only as deep as what your local station or rag is pumping, then why not go back to Coldplay, Maroon 5, Nelly, and the top hits of the moment. Why the interest in exhuming underappreciated or unheard music?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

hi R***rt.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

hi R***rt.

What can I say? UGK's first album was HUUUUGE in South Central.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

are you fuckin kidding me? dude I don't think I could even count the number of mixtapes in the early to mid 90's that had both "Pocket Full Of Stones" and "Something Good" on them. I know mine did.

Were you even listening to hip hop then? we're talking 1993 here. you might be younger and the age difference would explain your lack of insight to this subject.

while you're thinking about that, I'd love to see all the tv footage you have of the Geto Boys.

are you fuckin kidding me? dude I don't think I could even count the number of mixtapes in the early to mid 90's that had both "Pocket Full Of Stones" and "Something Good" on them. I know mine did.

Were you even listening to hip hop then? we're talking 1993 here. you might be younger and the age difference would explain your lack of insight to this subject.

while you're thinking about that, I'd love to see all the tv footage you have of the Geto Boys.

Footnote: The Geto Boys despite their universal popularity and such and such, have never performed outside of the United States.

They're definitely not legends.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I WANT to believe that they are legends, and not just a very good group that made dope music despite a lack of recognition. But give us some example of them being considered legend by anyone before Jay Z rhymed with them.
    By the way Cockni O'Dire who's from LA told me this morning moring that he was a fan of them. But then again he lives in Dallas now...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Footnote: The Geto Boys despite their universal popularity and such and such, have never performed outside of the United States.

They're definitely not legends.

that's all fine and good but I'm POSITIVE they must have performed "My Mind's Playin Tricks On Me" on American Bandstand...right?

I'm also pretty sure Willie D did some of his solo stuff on the Regis and Kathy Lee show back in the mid 90's, "Play Witcha Mama" I think.

• I WANT to believe that they are legends, and not just a very good group that made dope music despite a lack of recognition. But give us some example of them being considered legend by anyone before Jay Z rhymed with them.
    By the way Cockni O'Dire who's from LA told me this morning moring that he was a fan of them. But then again he lives in Dallas now...

this is taken from your website:

Bronx legend Jesse West[/b] was part of the Boogie Down Crew with KRS, Scott LaRock, Just Ice, Jeri 167 and Castle D. As an unofficial member of Boogie Down Productions he shared the mic with KRS One on many stages, but not on any record despite being name-checked in every other song (Still Number One, Dope Beat, Ya Slippin, Nervous, My Philosophy, Original Way, Sex & Violence, Gunnen' Em Down...). KRS also mentionned ICU in T'Cha T'Cha, but obviously he was then refering to his old "gang" ICU Rebels (Intelligent Criminals United).

So Jesse West signed with Motown in 1989 for his first album No Prisoners, produced by Commissioner Gordon. Obviously the label didn't know how to promote a rap act at that time (not that they do now) so the record didn't go anywhere. Renegade was a favourite of mine at that time.

He kinda disappeared then for a couple of years and came back hard with a bunch of great tracks like, well, A Buncha Niggas , the posse cut from Heavy D's Blue Funk, with a young and hungry Biggie, INI's Rob O, Guru and Busta Rhymes. You gotta appreciate the credit on the sleeve : rap by Busta Rhymes. I guess the other guys are just singing opera or something.

While hangin around Puffy he also did a remix of Supercat's Dolly My Baby where, according to Jay Smooth, he dropped the very first occurence of the phrase bling bling (yeah, I just googled that one). Around the same time Puff gave him the opportunity to cut his own single on Who's The Man soundtrack, co produced by Lord Finesse. He pulled a Large Profesor on Ease Up with his last words, "you want some more flavor ? Go buy the album !". He didn't put out an album until years after that statement.

He kept producing, doing tracks for PMD, Xzibit, Raw Breed, Nine (of course) and most notably KRS One's antepenultimate Jive single "Step Into A World", and then dropped this dope single on the original Sure Shot Recordings in 1997.

This soulful 12" is one of the best thing that Jesse West has recorded. I'm the first to admit that his first album has not aged really well, but the Reality single is good from the first song to the last instrumental. You should know how this site works : I won't give you mp3 of all the songs from the 12", you wil have to dig the record yourself to hear the rest. Both Reality and Circles are on his second album though. With its Milt Jackson loop and 3rd Eye crooning an old Bobby Caldwell tune over it, 360?? is smooth, but not in a sell-out way. As far as I know the album called Planets was only licensed to a french label Declic, and I don't think there is any other pressing.

Strangely this rapper who was kinda obsessed with the new millenium hasn't released much in the past 5 years. The aforementioned 24/7 material is the last decent record he did. There was also a yellow 12" with RZA floating around, but it's less than stellar. But who knows, he may be releasing stuff under another name I haven't heard yet.