Pictures from SXSW

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Mr. Wright took part in the Say It Loud panel on Saturday along with Chuck D, Cyril Neville, Alejandro Escovedo, Garland Jaffreys, Dave Marsh, and Rosie Flores. Mr. Wright was pissed off and then some that over the course of a few days that he was being served with what he described as a "washed out" SXSW experience. Seriously, he was duly disturbed that he could actually find additional indication that the music industry goes out of its way to further marginalize non-white artists.

Next thing I find out, he cancelled his showcase at Antone's later that same night.

Do you agree with his take?

Fuck yes...as a rap fan, I know that SXSW basically has one single dude, Matt Sonzala, coordinating just about anything that SXSW puts on in the departments of rap and r-n-b. And in most cases, those acts get put on at the worst venues. Muthafuckin' put some more resources into it already.

Then please take that to the "SXSW Washed Out" thread that you should create yoruself. This thread has, until your unwanted inclusion, been about people's positive experiences in Austin over the weekend.

I'm going to fucking tell you this right now, your motherfucker. Do not try to start any of this shit TODAY on my ass, it will not be your fucking day.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Robert, I'm tired of you. Why will you not get that this just makes you look really bad, like a small child who just cries for attention?

I feel sorry for you, dude. Your life must really suck.

You could have said that to me in person over the weekend, but you save it for the internet.

When did I see you? When did you come out? You should have come up to me, you punk bitch. I had a pretty fucking high profile, man. What you do, lurk in the shadows you little pussy?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    On the strength, son. What? You a fucking @#$F!!@ motherfucker. Punk bitch. ROBERT THIS IS ME, HOMIE! YOU WAIT UNTIL I LEAVE YOUR TOWN TO POP SHIT!You bitch!

edited to clean up any epithets that might be considered just a wee bit too offensive

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    On the strength though, on a layover to Austin on Wednesday I was given the news that a friend of mine shot himself and my whole family is still in shock and bugging off this. I had to put that shit out of my mind just to make sure I got through the festival and do my motherfucking thing like I'm supposed to. Now I got this PUNK BITCH popping shit.

Robert you can have it any way you want it but I know you won't do shit because at the end of the day HOMIE YOU AIN'T ABOUT SHIT AND YOU NEVER HAVE BEEN.[/b] You're a half-baked CRITIC[/b] at best.

I'm gonna take a breather get away from the internet for a few. Fuck you, dude. You wanted to bang we could have done this. MOtherfucker where the fuck you from, Austin right? Punk ass bitch. ILL BE IN AUSTIN. COme see me next time. DO IT.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Ouch.

I would like to know, after all this talk, why Robert did not step to the one Cosmo Baker to, um, give it to him how he knows he wants it.

How can we carpetbagguerres be sure that when we come to Austin we will, in fact, get it how we know we want it?

My travel agent would shit a brick if she knew that I wasn't getting it how I wanted it.

Saying.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Ouch.

I would like to know, after all this talk, why Robert did not step to the one Cosmo Baker to, um, give it to him how he knows he wants it.

How can we carpetbagguerres be sure that when we come to Austin we will, in fact, get it how we know we want it?

My travel agent would shit a brick if she knew that I wasn't getting it how I wanted it.

Saying.

Rashied seems to have placed a rather substantial burden upon those of us that travel to Austin seeking to get it how we want it; we must first intuit his thoughts, and we must next go to the trouble of chasing him down. This will not do it all, and it's definitely not how I want it.

Ouch.

Saying.

Rashied seems to have placed a rather substantial burden upon those of us that travel to Austin seeking to get it how we want it; we must first intuit his thoughts, and we must next go to the trouble of chasing him down. This will not do it all, and it's definitely not how I want it.

You, sir, will find neither righteous funk provideurs nor magic mushrooms with that attitude.

And you might as well just forget about the girl down the road.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Ouch.

Saying.

You, sir, will find neither righteous funk provideurs nor magic mushrooms with that attitude.

I suppose I must settle for changing diapers.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    On the strength, son. What? You a fucking faggot motherfucker. Punk bitch. ROBERT THIS IS ME, HOMIE! YOU WAIT UNTIL I LEAVE YOUR TOWN TO POP SHIT!You bitch!

I'm the one popping shit after the fact???

I'm pretty sure all I said was and pointed to what I consider as some realer shit when it comes to hip-hop.

So yeah, if you want to come to my town under the guise of some sort of hip-hop artist then you're just going to have to deal with lingering issues of racism that help you do 8 paying gigs in a half-week while others can barely squeak out a single showcase.

I'm sure you think it only has to do with your superior talent and hustle...but that is not the full reality of the situation at all.

Anyway, keep pretending to kick my ass from afar...

Ouch.

Saying.

I suppose I must settle for changing diapers.

FONKAAAAY diapers.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Lets get back to some SXSW pictures...

Mickey Avalon

Ghostface Killah

Ghostface gets some girls from the crowd to dance on stage

Ghostface gets the crowd to come together

Rakim

Dave at Friends of Sound Records says "I'm rich biatch!"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Thanks Robert. You got what you wanted I guess. I'll let you know next time I'm in town and we can see each other.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Or you can come to Brooklyn but I know you'll never do that.

Ouch.

Saying.

I was at that Federation show on Wednesday afternoon, right up front hanging out with Serg and Stef, among others...I didn't see anyone from The Rub there, but it appears that The Rub website has photos from that show.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Or better yet I can continue doing what I do and be a success and you can continue to be a second-tier music "journalist" with a chip on your shoulder and something to prove but continue to lack the credibility and do so. And by the way, you're not black, but last time I looked at my birth certificate, it said that I was.

Punk bitch.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Or better yet I can continue doing what I do and be a success and you can continue to be a second-tier music "journalist" with a chip on your shoulder and something to prove but continue to lack the credibility and do so. And by the way, you're not black, but last time I looked at my birth certificate, it said that I was.

Punk bitch.

And for the record, that graemlin usage was at a very appropriate time.

Booom shaka LAKA!!!

Thanks Robert. You got what you wanted I guess. I'll let you know next time I'm in town and we can see each other.

You're putting too much on this shit.

Not sure if you noticed...but before SXSW started, I mentioned on here that I was going to write a doozy of a preview of The Rub set in the Austin Chronicle. Instead I left it as citing your set on my grid of SXSW Recommendations. Of course, I had no intention of attending. But the idea was for you to think that there would be some bad shit written about you, only for you to discover the opposite (no matter how sarcastic of a mention it really was). Point being, you are trying way too hard to turn what I consider as fun and games into some serious bullshit. And honestly, it only makes me want to fuck with y'all more, seeing how much next to nothing gets so under your skin. But at this point, since you're going through some shit, I will lay off...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Punk bitch.

So we can expect another one of these from you in, what, six months?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    On the strength, son. What? You a fucking faggot motherfucker. Punk bitch. ROBERT THIS IS ME, HOMIE! YOU WAIT UNTIL I LEAVE YOUR TOWN TO POP SHIT!You bitch!

I'm the one popping shit after the fact???

I'm pretty sure all I said was and pointed to what I consider as some realer shit when it comes to hip-hop.

So yeah, if you want to come to my town under the guise of some sort of hip-hop artist then you're just going to have to deal with lingering issues of racism that help you do 8 paying gigs in a half-week while others can barely squeak out a single showcase.

I'm sure you think it only has to do with your superior talent and hustle...but that is not the full reality of the situation at all.

Anyway, keep pretending to kick my ass from afar...

I am trying to figure out how The Rub being in some sort of demand has anything to do with your picks not getting the proper attention. Sounds like someone needs some more competent management, man.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Not sure if you noticed...but before SXSW started, I mentioned on here that I was going to write a doozy of a preview of The Rub set in the Austin Chronicle. Instead I left it as citing your set on my grid of SXSW Recommendations. Of course, I had no intention of attending. But the idea was for you to think that there would be some bad shit written about you, only for you to discover the opposite (no matter how sarcastic of a mention it really was). Point being, you are trying way too hard to turn what I consider as fun and games into some serious bullshit. And honestly, it only makes me want to fuck with y'all more, seeing how much next to nothing gets so under your skin. But at this point, since you're going through some shit, I will lay off...

I usually stay out of this kinda shit...but dude, you tried to play blue-eyed-Al Sharpton-with-a-backpack and basically said the Rub's success was due to racism...and you said this to a dude with African-American blood in his veins..dont try and to back-peddle.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I was at that Federation show on Wednesday afternoon, right up front hanging out with Serg and Stef, among others...I didn't see anyone from The Rub there, but it appears that The Rub website has photos from that show.

we weren't in Austin on Wednesday afternoon. those Federation pictures are from a different show, at their showcase at the hipster cesspool known as Beauty Bar, along with fellow hipsters Saafir, The Pack and Qualo. we were inside DJing while that was going on but our friend Ian was taking pictures. there were tons of white people in tight clothers there doing cocaine and liking rap music for the wrong reasons.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Punk bitch.

So we can expect another one of these from you in, what, six months?

and countin. Give it some time, give it some time!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    On the strength though, on a layover to Austin on Wednesday I was given the news that a friend of mine shot himself and my whole family is still in shock and bugging off this.

Fuck, that's terrible. All the best to your friends family and yours in what is undoubtedly a dark time.

• I've lived here through 9 SXSWs. One of Harvey's points is completely correct. Most hiphop shows outside of media darlings or really popular sort of "indie" rap acts get shunted into lesser venues. It's always been like that. It's kind of a bummer.

Did anyone catch the Stax showcase? How did Isaac look/sound? Heard he had had a stroke recently and it really bummed me out.

I usually stay out of this kinda shit...but dude, you tried to play blue-eyed-Al Sharpton-with-a-backpack and basically said the Rub's success was due to racism...and you said this to a dude with African-American blood in his veins..dont try and to back-peddle.

It's called trying to make peace with a spaz.

But if you don't want me to backpeddle, then I won't. A birth-cetificate-wielding black hip-hop dude can cater to a wack crowd just as much as any white hip-hop dude might.

The shit is immaterial to the discussion. When hood dudes get routinely turned away at the door of a Rub-supporting venue, or they're let in but then stalked by overzealous bouncers...it should constitute something that The Rub should take notice of and maybe even try to do something about, rather than merely sweeping it all away underneath the rug of their "success".

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I thought this was celebratory thread?

we weren't in Austin on Wednesday afternoon. those Federation pictures are from a different show, at their showcase at the hipster cesspool known as Beauty Bar, along with fellow hipsters Saafir, The Pack and Qualo. we were inside DJing while that was going on but our friend Ian was taking pictures. there were tons of white people in tight clothers there doing cocaine and liking rap music for the wrong reasons.

My bad, it was actually Thursday afternoon. Don't know if that changes anything on your end of this retrospective showdown that we were supposed to have.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I've lived here through 9 SXSWs. One of Harvey's points is completely correct. Most hiphop shows outside of media darlings or really popular sort of "indie" rap acts get shunted into lesser venues. It's always been like that. It's kind of a bummer.

I don't doubt this fact one bit, but to even infer that it is due to the likes of Urrs and Cosmo is silly at best. And isn't SXSW all about "media darlings" and the race to create, exploit and then conveniently forget about them? At least that was always my perception as an outsider.

I've lived here through 9 SXSWs. One of Harvey's points is completely correct. Most hiphop shows outside of media darlings or really popular sort of "indie" rap acts get shunted into lesser venues. It's always been like that. It's kind of a bummer.

I don't doubt this fact one bit, but to even infer that it is due to the likes of Urrs and Cosmo is silly at best.

They are the ones, among others, who benefit from the racism.