Pictures from SXSW

ayresayres 1,452 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.itstherub.com/images/SXSW2007Last weekend was insanely fun. We didn't get pictures of most of the shows we saw but here are some we got. Highlights (in no particular order): Ghostface Killah, The Melvins, Federation, Redman, SWOLL, DJ Day, Mike 2600 King, Morse Code, Diplo, King Most, Catchdubs, DJ Mel, Prince Klasson, Smalltown DJs, Flosstradamus, A-Trak, Kid Sister, Vyle, Cool Kids, Federation, UGK, Rakim, Hier, DJ Haul, Revolution, Boris, Spankrock & Amanda Blank, Solico, Amy Winehouse, RJD2, Nasa, breakdancing, bbq, Godzillas at Burlesque and Sabbath in the Motherfucking Park.

Comments

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    dope - sorry i missed it.
    My friend was sitting near Amy Winehouse on his flight back to LA. He said she looked like shit, smelled kinda weird and could barely stand up.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    was she flying coach

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    was she flying coach
    naw 1st class. my friend was standing behind her as they boarded the plane. luckily he flew coach.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Who is the coquettish chick with the 'stache?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That is DEFINITELY a candidate for the 2007 bunny graphic.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That is DEFINITELY a candidate for the 2007 bunny graphic.

DUDE. You don't even know the extent of how deep it gets. Wait till like 90% of the other pictures and videos get back.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    Redman3
    Redman with his glaucoma remedy

yo majesty3
    Yo Majesty. Imagine the 2Live Crew as lesbians. I can't even put this show into words. If anyone is offended by the bouncing boobie, let me know.

federation2
    I was looking for another free drink and stumbled across The Federation.

bondederole3
    Bonde Do Role. This was another crazy show. I think this was the most energy I had seen at the Fader party until Redman.

jazzdonnajean
    This is me and my homegirl who was known as Plus One on Wednesday. I am pretty throwed here. I found seven shot glasses from Southern Comfort in my bag and was chasing them with Soco & Lime's.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I am salivating with anticipation.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah forgot to shout you out Jazz. Good having you out at the spots!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I am shocked, SHOCKED at this reaction, sir!

Ask Charles Wright what he thinks of those photos.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Best to just ignore it so it will go away, Chris. By the way, sorry you couldn't make it while we were in DC.

But yeah, good times had by all at this year's SXSW.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

this look goes real well w/ gold ballet flats.

Best to just ignore it so it will go away, Chris. By the way, sorry you couldn't make it while we were in DC.

Dude, I was SICK as a motherfucking dog that day. We'll get it together eventually!

Like, 103rd Street Rhythm Band Charles Wright?

Why would he give a fuck?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I know, you sounded TERRIBLE that day on the message.

Oh yeah also big shout out to UGK, DJ Sun, the Ozone Magazine crew and Chicken George.

"High as Apple Pie"

I am guessing it has something to do with the famous righteous funk supplier vs. nonrighteous funk supplier dichotomy.

Gerald G, Rob da Ryno & Magno of the Whut It Dew Family:

Matt Sonzala:

Pimp C:

Thesis (sat in with Money Waters then Kirby Dominant on Friday, then did her own set on Saturday):

Zion I getting less than a lukewarm reaction as an opener for UGK's Friday night show at Visions:

Trae with HAWK's wife:

Latasha of Carnival Beats:

Devin the Dude:

And for those who missed it the first time, Public Offenders:

Way more photos to come in the next day or so...

Zion-I got a lukewarm reaction opening up for UGK??

I am shocked, Robert. SHOCKED.

File under: drum-n-bass manufactureurs embarassed of their backpack past

They had a track called--I think--"Critical" around 1999 that was one of the chief reasons I quit bothering to tune into the college radio hip-hop show that I had grown up listening to. It was just so representatively corny and really embodied what that school of hip-hop had become.

Mr. Wright took part in the Say It Loud panel on Saturday along with Chuck D, Cyril Neville, Alejandro Escovedo, Garland Jaffreys, Dave Marsh, and Rosie Flores. Mr. Wright was pissed off and then some that over the course of a few days that he was being served with what he described as a "washed out" SXSW experience. Seriously, he was duly disturbed that he could actually find additional indication that the music industry goes out of its way to further marginalize non-white artists.

Next thing I find out, he cancelled his showcase at Antone's later that same night.

I am guessing it has something to do with the famous righteous funk supplier vs. nonrighteous funk supplier dichotomy.

Actually...yes, it does have a lot to do with that.

They should have been put on with Rico Pabon, Saafir, Kirby Dominant, The Pack, and Federation who were all together just across the alley from where Zion I was getting ignored and abused.

I did attend both shows at different times, and it is true that the two crowds were night and day from each other.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I gotta tell you, man. The Melvins were awesome live. Also, I saw 2 of the best groups I've seen in a long time, Boris and The Cool Kids.

• Mr. Wright took part in the Say It Loud panel on Saturday along with Chuck D, Cyril Neville, Alejandro Escovedo, Garland Jaffreys, Dave Marsh, and Rosie Flores. Mr. Wright was pissed off and then some that over the course of a few days that he was being served with what he described as a "washed out" SXSW experience. Seriously, he was duly disturbed that he could actually find additional indication that the music industry goes out of its way to further marginalize non-white artists.

Next thing I find out, he cancelled his showcase at Antone's later that same night.

Do you agree with his take?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Robert, I'm tired of you. Why will you not get that this just makes you look really bad, like a small child who just cries for attention?

I feel sorry for you, dude. Your life must really suck.

Mr. Wright took part in the Say It Loud panel on Saturday along with Chuck D, Cyril Neville, Alejandro Escovedo, Garland Jaffreys, Dave Marsh, and Rosie Flores. Mr. Wright was pissed off and then some that over the course of a few days that he was being served with what he described as a "washed out" SXSW experience. Seriously, he was duly disturbed that he could actually find additional indication that the music industry goes out of its way to further marginalize non-white artists.

Do you agree with his take?

Fuck yes...as a rap fan, I know that SXSW basically has one single dude, Matt Sonzala, coordinating just about anything that SXSW puts on in the departments of rap and r-n-b. And in most cases, those acts get put on at the worst venues. Muthafuckin' put some more resources into it already.

Robert, I'm tired of you. Why will you not get that this just makes you look really bad, like a small child who just cries for attention?

I feel sorry for you, dude. Your life must really suck.

You could have said that to me in person over the weekend, but you save it for the internet.