yall should all get lynched

Comments

• When he called out Howard Stern on his Master Race comedy album

whats this about?
    he was on howard a couple weeks ago.

I think Master Race dropped in 96-97 (if not more). Howard made one of his typical race jokes and Mooney called him out AND Robin. That shit takes balls to do.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

I have a problem with the implication that a white person has no place working to solve issues that disproportionally effect black people. And, for your own good, you should accept the reality that whites control the reins of power and public policy in this country.

Soulstrut is on fire !

you sound like sabadadolo[/b]

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

you sound like sabadadolo[/b]

YOU DONE CROSSED THE LINE ED. WE CAN CALL EACH OTHER THOSE WORDS. BUT UNLESS YOUR ONE OF US OR EVEN WALKED A MILE IN MY CASHMERE-LINED PRADA SLIPPERS, YOU BETTER NOT JUST THROW THAT KINDA LANGUAGE AROUND. THIS WAS A NICE SPORTY RACE DEBATE AND YOU HAD TO GO THERE. NOW YOU FUCKED UP. YOU REALLY FUCKED UP. ITS ON.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i wonder if michael richards would co-sign on this song

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Someone told me sales for that seinfeld dvd set were up %75.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

People think they'll pull it from the shelves or something, so they either a) need to get it before its gone because Seinfeld is the funniest thing ever; or b) they think that people are desperate for this crazy sit-com so they can make a killing on the secondary market after the shit is pulled from the shelves.

Either way, it's kinda sad.

TANGENTIALLY YOURS,
    JRoot

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Im talking about the youth of america problem. These kids that are doing this are going to be the future of society. And by having some jack off rappers fucking them all up is going to be everyones problem, black or white.

Jack off rappers don't fuck up kids, Black or White...

By your logic, the stupid jerk off kids that sell dope near the corner of my old house probably were encouraged to do so by 'Crack Rap'. I would bet you that these kids listen to Go Go more than any 'Crack Rap'. Go Go and 'urban radio' doesn't make these knuckleheads sell drugs, they make up their mind to do it based on countless circumstances in their personal lives, and ultimately they are responsible for their own behavior.

This is some panicky, reflexive shit going on in this thread.

Although you're correct. There seems to be some connection. I can only say from my perspective of growing up in the UK, where things are obviously a lot different to the US.
    But say, 10 years ago, kids who were deep into hip hop, and grew up in the rundown areas of the inner cities, in some ways really longed for the gangster life that was portrayed in the music.
    They already had all the other social and economic problems, but guns were not as readily available, and gang culture was not so wide spread.
    Now we have have the guns, and the gangs. A lot of the people who once longed for this, have now grown older and wiser. They can now see the damaging influence, these things have had on the community. Now they wish for things to go back to how they used to be. Rap did not cause this situation. But it has fuelled the flames.

Obviously to blame hip hop for this is ridiculous. Like blaming America for inventing the teenager, and then exporting that throughout the rest of the world. But unfortunately that's what has happened.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

People think they'll pull it from the shelves or something, so they either a) need to get it before its gone because Seinfeld is the funniest thing ever; or b) they think that people are desperate for this crazy sit-com so they can make a killing on the secondary market after the shit is pulled from the shelves.

That shit was not going to be pulled off the shelves.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

No shit. which is why
    either way, it's kinda sad.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sorry for the jumble:

1) While I'm not so sure about trying to separate White from Black problems, as if the two exist in wholly separate spheres, looking at social problems WITHOUT understanding how certain issues/problems disproportionately affect specific populations - be it by race, gender, class, etc. - would be incredibly irresponsible. To use drug abuse as an example, the effects of abuse - in terms of health care, the criminal justice system, overall street violence, etc. - are different within predominantly African American communities vs. predominantly White communities. That's not to say that "drug abuse = a Black problem." It does mean though if you're going to address drug abuse, you can't simply try to tackle it as a single issue affecting an undifferentiated population. Your solutions have to be specific to the people in need and that means that race is very much an important and necessary part of any strategies you undertake.

To avoid that is to avoid the responsibility of recognizing WHY the problem exists to begin with as well as WHO it's more likely to hurt.

This said: I think that "fixing" any social problems requires participation by all parts of society. Who should lead those movements? Well, ha ha, therein lies the rub.

2) I don't think people of different backgrounds should be prohibited from offering insight and/or advice to people of other backgrounds but that said, it really depends on how actually "insightful" said advice/perspectives are.

A lot of my non-Black students, in a fit of trying to "say the right thing" will repeat oft-said but completely wrong "facts," such as "it's a problem that most Black people are in prison." Their intent is good - they're trying to say, "we need to address problems in the criminal justice system because it seems to disproportionately affect African Americans." However, their understanding of the issue is completely off: the majority of Black men are NOT in prison even if there are far more imprisoned than there are compared to their numbers in the general population.

So when thelowendtheory tries to say that the African American community has more negative role models than positive, I have to pause and wonder how he's come to that conclusion? While I appreciate his potential intent it can also be rather condescending to make such a claim, i.e. "African Americans only have a bunch of drug dealers, sports stars and rappers to look up to."

A non-Black person, whose main exposure to Blackness might be vis a vis popular media, might arrive at such a conclusion based on the fact that corporate media is their main/sole form of "understanding" the Black community. However, in regards to role models, for many people - Black or otherwise - role models include their family members, neighbors, i.e. the PEOPLE IN THEIR COMMUNITY who don't need to be on BET to influence a young person's life positively. And unless you're actually living in those spaces, amongst those communities, it seems a rather facile to make huge generalizations about how many of a person's role models are positive or negative.

As a middle class Asian American, my role models have very rarely been public figures (props to Bruce Lee though) since there's an entire paucity of "my people" in popular media but that hardly means I had no role models.

I'd also add: in many cases, I'd wager that the same media sources that negatively portray Blacks (not in a direct, hateful way but rather through one-dimensional portrayals of Black life/people) are the same ones that also recycle the hand-wringing lament that "Black people don't have any positive role models." I think BET LOVES when Bill Cosby puts the Black community on blast - they're able to net ratings off both sides.

That's real hustling.

3) A dearth of positive Black role models may very well be a product of a media that - either insidiously or ignorantly - focuses on negativity but it could also be a reflection of larger patterns of social inequality. In terms of public figures such as civic leaders or even respected public servants such as firemen or school teachers, African Americans are far less likely to be represented in many of these professions on account of historical and contemporary discrimination.

Even within the entertainment field, it should be no revelation to note that there are far fewer prominent Black coaches or owners amongst major sports franchises (as opposed to star Black players) and in the entertainment industry, what you see are rappers, singers and actors - you don't see anywhere near as many execs or owners of color.

My point: blaming crack rappers is seriously losing the forest for the trees. The lack of positive role models in underprivileged communities has far, far, far more to do with historical, structural inequality then it does with any short-term fad in popular culture. This does not let cultural figures off the hook but seriously, lynching Camrom makes no fucking sense when the real problem is much more pervasive and deeply integrated into the institutions of American daily life. Cam may not HELP but blaming him is like focusing on a skin rash when the real problem is that all your vital organs are infected with cancer.

It is, of course, easier to scratch the rash and feel some relief then to take the chemo.

None of this is to say that I think popular culture has no influence. I think pop culture and media are tremendously powerful institutions when it comes to shaping public and self-perception. But my point is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum: it's part of a larger ideological and structural system - one component among others such as the state or capital.

But "positive" moments in popular culture are rarely instigators of movements. The Civil Rights Movement wasn't born out of socially-conscious soul music - it was the other way around. Why are we saddling hip-hop with curing the ills of society?

On that note, to suggest that crack rap is doing something novel is to be entirely ahistorical of a long tradition of the hustler figure in not just African American culture but many cultures writ large. He's an evolution out of the Trickster, Brer Rabbit, the Signifying Monkey, et. al. World mythology is filled with such figures.

In our times, I think the hustler is so appealing because he's (and it's almost always a "he") a symbol of deviance, someone who succeeds not because of playing by the rules but outside of them. I'd suggest that he's especially popular amongst those who believe that the system is rigged any ways - why not invent your own rules and try to get over? Amoral? Yes - but the larger point is that in a fractured society, what benefit is morality? Do moral people get ahead further? Look at the news we're inundated with: Politicians are corrupt. Religious leaders lie. Corporate leaders steal. Sports stars cheat.

And we wonder why people find hustlers so compelling? Shit, at least those dudes are upfront about the game.

My point: the popularity of hustlers is a symptom of social malaise far more than they're the cause of it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

No shit. which is why
    either way, it's kinda sad.

These are the same people that think all records are worth money; "They don't make these anymore, young man!"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Obviously to blame hip hop for this is ridiculous. Like blaming America for inventing the teenager, and then exporting that throughout the rest of the world. But unfortunately that's what has happened.

So which is it? The truth ("that's what happened") or not the truth ("Obviously to blame hip hop for this is ridiculous.") ?

We want to place the blame....how can you reduce an enormous problem like violence (or poverty, or racism, or whatever) specifically to Rappers? Or even music in general? Dig Wagner egg Hitler on? Is it part of the problem in the world for everything? Are mystery novels and gangster pictures to blame for gritty real life violence? What about the news? Should we just 'keep it light' so we don't give anyone ideas?

If you must, Blame parents who don't/can't take care of or nurture their children, and flaws in every country's social and political infrastructure to properly deal with (or accept) THE BASICS of human existence and human dignity and civic pride.

See how far it gets you.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Is Seinfeld Season 7 even that good?
    Seasons 3 and 4 seem to have most of the CLASSIQUE episodes.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

This said: I think that "fixing" any social problems requires participation by all parts of society. Who should lead those movements? Well, ha ha, therein lies the rub.

am I wrong to say that the overall consensus in this thread seems to be you should know your color? if not, than perhaps I've misread many of the participants responses. But if so, than the mentality seems to fly against the idea of all parts of society participating to fix or work on a problem.

whatever the consensus is my thoughts on the issue are close to that of Olivers. Percieved black problem or not as a society who seems to enjoy an integrated form of entertainment like rap music placing responsibility or blame on any issue like this on a single race or group is doing nothing for anyone.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    whatever the consensus is my thoughts on the issue are close to that of Olivers.

My point: blaming crack rappers is seriously losing the forest for the trees.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    whatever the consensus is my thoughts on the issue are close to that of Olivers.

I didn't make that lasst quote you seem to have attributed to me.

this is the 2nd time in this thread you've put words in my mouth.

If you can't talk to me without assuming than just don't talk to me

• I have to say that I AM def. feelin the lyrics and the frustration in this song and video!! It's about time someone call it like it is...I am also sick of these porch monkeys fuckin up shit!! Sorry, but I am just expressin' how I feel.
    amir

:know :

LOL, dude, Oliver said that--noz is puzzled that you're cosigning him.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

LOL, dude, Oliver said that--noz is puzzled that you're cosigning him.

ahh, yeah I got that after I read back over Olivers statement. I did say they were close, not exact.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This thread has some how devolved into a tangent on whether or not crack rappers are responsible for everything wrong in the world, which wasn't nyoils point in the first place.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

So which is it? The truth ("that's what happened") or not the truth ("Obviously to blame hip hop for this is ridiculous.") ?

We want to place the blame....how can you reduce an enormous problem like violence (or poverty, or racism, or whatever) specifically to Rappers? Or even music in general? Dig Wagner egg Hitler on? Is it part of the problem in the world for everything? Are mystery novels and gangster pictures to blame for gritty real life violence? What about the news? Should we just 'keep it light' so we don't give anyone ideas?

If you must, Blame parents who don't/can't take care of or nurture their children, and flaws in every country's social and political infrastructure to properly deal with (or accept) THE BASICS of human existence and human dignity and civic pride.

See how far it gets you.

I'm not trying to blame anything, or anyone.
    Did you read the rest of what I already wrote?
    Obviously there are a lot of reasons as to why people behave in the ways that they do.
    I work in a studio where we get a lot of kids who want to be MC's coming to record tracks. And virtually every single one of them only wants to talk about how gangster they are. We try and encourage them to talk about something more positive. Not for the sake of something so ethereal as 'hip hop' but, for themselves.
    But this is the life that these kids live. On several occasions we've had to lock ourselves into the place, as rival gangs have tried to kick the doors down. And its pointless to get into the life imitates art debate. But, as someone much more experienced than me tried to explain to one of our MC's, if your attitude is all about negativity, and violence, you're only going to head one way. And music can be about escapism and freedom, you could try and create something positive instead.
    Now hip hop, or grime, (or wagner,) did not make kids behave like they do. But does it encourage them?

• this is along the same lines as this classic Chris Rock routine...which after a long discussion with my girlfriend, she decided I was being racist for enjoying it..but thats another 30 pager

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This thread has some how devolved into people typing, just to see it show up on a web page.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread has some how devolved into a tangent on whether or not crack rappers are responsible for everything wrong in the world, which wasn't nyoils point in the first place.

NYOIL's point is that crack rappers are doing a disservice to their community and therefore, deserve to be lynched as a consequence. Inherent in such an inflammatory call to action (even metaphorically) is that said rappers must be doing something so intensely harmful that a form of capital punishment, previously reserved mostly for innocent Black men at the hands of white racists, is a reasonable remedy.

Call me crazy, but if you're going to call for someone's lynching - even metaphorically speaking (and apparently, NYOIL said he wasn't being metaphorical) - then you'd have to imagine what kind of heinous crime would deserve such a heinous punishment. Maybe NYOIL's point isn't that crack rappers are responsible for all the evil in the world but he is suggesting they're responsible for enough of the evils that they deserve to be strung up, castrated, set aflame and perhaps, if Michael Richards had his way, also have a fork anally inserted.

I find that attitude, while delightfully provocative as a metaphor, rather missing the point when it comes to what it is crack rappers are being blamed for. Eliminating crack rappers would do very little to improve social conditions amongst disenfranchised and/or impoverished communities.

It might, however, put Jim Jones out of business and I'd see that as a "plus."

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    ahh, yeah I got that after I read back over Ilivers statement. I did say they were close, not exact.

It seems to me that part three of Oliver's post is the antithesis of both the song about lynching that you so excitedly cosigned and the soapbox rants you've been spewing here for years. Did you even read his post?

ahh, yeah I got that after I read back over Ilivers statement. I did say they were close, not exact.

It seems to me that part three of Oliver's post is the antithesis of both the song about lynching that you so excitedly cosigned and the soapbox rants you've been spewing here for years. Did you even read his post?

Reading a post before clicking "Reply" is emphatically not one of the Elements of SoulStrut.

• This thread has some how devolved into people typing, just to see it show up on a web page.

Ooooh, y'all are having a TYPING PARTY and I wasn't invited.

Why don't you TEP and TET my GAN TAR
    as my fingars go fiddle-faddle
    I spell you boys with ten mini ping-pong paddles
    clock-clock, opinions move to the center
    Your breath stank as you press 'Enter'
    Your HAT tight like a race car
    Your heart pumps Aunt Jemima Lite hit the spacebar
    TIK TAK cracker TOE woe unto the gremlin
    I compose poison typos like I was the Kremlin

PACE.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    surely the record company executives would be a far better target for lynching because of their involvement in actually putting out this music and making it pretty much impossible for any black rapper to exist on a large level without conforming to some sort of standards

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

you are really hung up on having some sort of slam on my words ain't you?

I quoted the part of Olivers statement in my initial response that I was talking about. you went outside that area with another quote.

b/w

you sound mad

surely the record company executives would be a far better target for lynching because of their involvement in actually putting out this music and making it pretty much impossible for any black rapper to exist on a large level without conforming to some sort of standards

I'm not sure how much an argument like this will resonate with anybody that advocates lynching as a solution to social problems.