THE OFFICIAL NFL 2006 THREAD

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Let's bench Brunell already.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Can't say I'm sorry to see the fish @ 0-2 while we go 2-0 against
    the division, though. Oh well - next week you guys get to join the
    beatdown party against TN while we face a real challenge against
    the Broncos. Home advantage may be the one thing to save the Pats next week.

Don't worry about those Broncos. A 9-6 game against a Trent Green-less Chiefs team? That shit is as all hell.

Speaking of KC: despite the anemic point output, it was nice to see that Herm could gameplan against the Broncos and both sides of the ball could execute said gameplan to actually give them a chance this week after the debacle last week vs. Cinci.

• Let's bench Kurt Warner[/b] already.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    We did let that game go; everyone thought it was in the bag.

This is happening with the Pats as I type this.

Up 24-0 at the half, now it's 24-17 in the 4th

yeah that was weird. what's up with so many supposedly mediocre teams looking respectable? alex smith grew up a lil bit in the offseason? and frank gore is a monster. houston put up a good fight last week too...didn't see em this week, but even though they got blown out, they still put up some points.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    watching that redskins game was slow torture
    why are the skins so conservative... we spend all this dough on all these players and noone is being a threat
    the offense is horrible... or should i say brunell isnt doin the damn thing in any way
    the secondary is quite suspect (springs please heal quickly)
    its still early and 0-2 dont mean much but damn
    i still love yall

that eagles game... i wasnt sure if i should be happy or sad for the eagles losing
    i hate both teams with a passion

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    what in the hell was John Fox thinking ?

• what in the hell was John Fox thinking ?

You know, I'm not convinced he called or approved that play. I mean, really, what logical reason was there to run that play? None, that's what. I think this might just be a case of John Fox trying to stand up and protect his player but I just can't for the life of me believe he'd actually call that play in that situation.

• Big up ya'selves, Gulf Coast!!

This team needs to stay in New Orleans forever. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. You shoulda kept the team ya had, Los Angeles.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/19/bc.fbn.saintstickets.ap/index.html

• Just to remind y'all folls who is running this thread... 13-2[/b] picking the games last weekend. Would've been 14-2 if I pulled a traitor move and officially picked the Giants to beat my Eagles (couldn't bring myself to do that) or 15-1 if edpowers' team was any good at all. That Bucs- Falcons game was the only one that really surprised me... are the Bucs that damn bad all of a sudden or are the Falcons that damn good???!? Probably a little of both.

So whoever it was that said they "have more football than everyone else on soulstrut ....x's 10"- whatever that means- do me a favor and BOW DOWN TO A TRUE PIMP. That is all. We now return to your regularly scheduled soulstrut thread.

Geez, this thread fell off the face of the earth! Should we just start a new one each week, foosball fans, or continue this one all season and go for the record of longest soulstrut thread of all time? Well, whatever... this is what it is for week 2:[/b]

Dolphins over Bills-[/b] I kinda like Buffalo this year, but I can't see the Fins going 0-2 (and I don't think edpowers could take it)
    Vikings over Panthers-[/b] Carolina really underwhelmed me last week... they might win this game but even if they do it'll be close, so I gotta give it to Minny
    Bengals over Browns-[/b] Cincy d impressed the HELL out of me last week
    Bears over Lions-[/b] If Chicago's offense is really as improved as it looked last week against sad ass Green Bay, the whole NFC is gonna have a problem
    Colts over Texans-[/b] no brainer... Houston is terrible
    Saints over Packers-[/b] watch for Saint Reginald to explode all over Lambeau
    Ravens over Raiders-[/b] it might get ugly... Oakland is that bad
    Bucs over Falcons-[/b] they know how to stop Vick, and with John Abraham out Atlanta won't terrorize Simms like they did Delhommie last week
    Seahawks over Cardinals-[/b] I was gonna pick Arizona, for real... but they've still got some serious problems. That big ass o-line still can't beat anybody, and I saw some truly pussy-wussy play from some of those secondary players on the goal line against the 49ers last week. If they play soft like that against Shaun Alexander he's gonna run for 300 yards.
    49ers over Rams-[/b] UPSET. Man, the 49ers are on their way back. They're not there yet, not even close. But they're movin' in the right direction like Steve Parks. I don't know if I'm buying the Rams yet... gotta see more from them.
    Broncos over Chiefs-[/b] might be a tough year for Herm in KC.
    Patriots over Jets-[/b] decisively. Hope the Jets enjoyed that week one victory... there won't be many, if any, more of those.
    Chargers over Titans-[/b] another team in disarray for the Bolts to have their way with
    Cowboys over Redskins-[/b] unless Bledsoe throws another game away, which is possible
    Jaguars over Steelers-[/b] this is gonna be a streetfight
    Eagles vs Giants-[/b] can't pick this one because of my bias as a fan... I will say that the Giants' running backs realllly worry me. If Philly can stop the run, we will win this game... I'm hearing that defensive coordinator Jim Johnson has some unique plans for defending Tiki, Shockey etc., so we'll see

There were only two difficult games to pick this past week

Anyone who bothered went 14-2 this past weekend .....the games were soft serve

I do remember saying the Bucs were one of the worst teams in football ...and they are ......The Dolphins are fine....we get Tennesee at the perfect time and New England still does not impress ...Buffalo is what i thought they would be ..a pain the ass who'd take a game from us and New England

Week 3 IS THAT RILL SCHITT

Carolina at Tampa Bay
    Chicago at Minnesota
    Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
    Green Bay at Detroit
    Jacksonville at Indianapolis
    N.Y. Jets at Buffalo
    Tennessee at Miami
    Washington at Houston
    Baltimore at Cleveland
    N.Y. Giants at Seattle
    Philadelphia at San Francisco
    St. Louis at Arizona
    Denver at New England

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    New England still does not impress ...

We got issues, but we are WINNING.

If you guys can't beat TN this week, your season is OVER.

• Anyone who bothered went 14-2 this past weekend .....the games were soft serve

True to an extent, but the Vikings, Giants, Saints, 49ers, Cowboys & Jags victories were hardly gimmes. Next time there's a "soft serve" weekend make your 14-2 picks BEFORE the games are actually played, like we true pimps and knowledgeable football experts do it.

I do remember saying the Bucs were one of the worst teams in football ...and they are

You did indeed say that, edpowers. hard to argue with that after two games. How the fuck did they fall off so cotdamn hard??? I liked that squad a lot last season... they played tough defense and ran the ball hard, the keys to being successful in the NFL. I gotta look at the team a little closer and find out what the hell's wrong.

Week 3 IS THAT RILL SCHITT

Carolina at Tampa Bay
    Chicago at Minnesota
    Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
    Green Bay at Detroit
    Jacksonville at Indianapolis
    N.Y. Jets at Buffalo
    Tennessee at Miami
    Washington at Houston
    Baltimore at Cleveland
    N.Y. Giants at Seattle
    Philadelphia at San Francisco
    St. Louis at Arizona
    Denver at New England

Yeah, it's gonna be a good weekend. Lots of matchups early in the season. I'll once again tell y'all what it's gonna be later in the week, but I'll drop one jewel on you now: Peyton Manning and his peoples are in TROUBLE come sunday. Believe dat.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Yeah, it's gonna be a good weekend. Lots of matchups early in the season. I'll once again tell y'all what it's gonna be later in the week, but I'll drop one jewel on you now: Peyton Manning and his peoples are in TROUBLE come sunday. Believe dat.

Jag Defense is flat out incredible. That Steeler Jacksonville game made me feel like I was watching a Green Bay game from the 60s minus the cold weather.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    let's see how good you guys are picking the games with the spreads....

• Yeah, it's gonna be a good weekend. Lots of matchups early in the season. I'll once again tell y'all what it's gonna be later in the week, but I'll drop one jewel on you now: Peyton Manning and his peoples are in TROUBLE come sunday. Believe dat.

Jag Defense is flat out incredible. That Steeler Jacksonville game made me feel like I was watching a Green Bay game from the 60s minus the cold weather.

that was one of the most entertaining single digit games I've ever watched. It was mostly a matter of good defense, rather than sloppy offense, which made it great to watch.

• Yeah, it's gonna be a good weekend. Lots of matchups early in the season. I'll once again tell y'all what it's gonna be later in the week, but I'll drop one jewel on you now: Peyton Manning and his peoples are in TROUBLE come sunday. Believe dat.

Their d was like that last year, too... the least talked about 12-4 ever, but I think people are starting to pay attention now. They better.
    I'm seeing a gang of scary good defenses this season... Jacksonville, Chicago, San Diego, Baltimore and Atlanta have all been extremely in the 1st two games. Buffalo and Cincy ain't far behind. I would've included Philly until they totally collapsed in the 4th quarter against the G-men- great defenses shouldn't lose focus and fall apart like that.

I do remember saying the Bucs were one of the worst teams in football

How the fuck did they fall off so cotdamn hard???

The Curse of Paul Hackett .......trouble follows this man

also, Simms is not the right QB for that offense .........Aaron Brooks would be a nice fit (i'm serious)

week 1
    8-2

week 2
    7-3

Bodog is my bitch

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

week 1
    8-2

week 2
    7-3

Bodog is my bitch

better than I did in week 2

• I love Dr. Z's article this week in SI about the running game. Yes, gets a little Patriot heavy (i'm biased) but this is a great look at line play (which is my favorite thing to read about.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/09/21/running.game/index.html

Week 3

Carolina at Tampa Bay ...... Carolina[/b]
    Chicago at Minnesota .... Minnesota[/b]
    Cincinnati at Pittsburgh....... Cinicinnati[/b]
    Green Bay at Detroit ....... Green Bay[/b]
    Jacksonville at Indianapolis....... Indianapolis[/b]
    N.Y. Jets at Buffalo........ Buffalo[/b]
    Tennessee at Miami ..... Miami[/b]
    Washington at Houston ..... Washington[/b]
    Baltimore at Cleveland ....... Baltimore[/b]
    N.Y. Giants at Seattle ....... New York[/b]
    Philadelphia at San Francisco ....... Philadelphia[/b]
    St. Louis at Arizona .......... Arizona[/b]
    Denver at New England ............. Denver[/b]
    Atlanta at New Orleans .............Atlanta[/b]

• Week 3

Atlanta at New Orleans .............Atlanta[/b]

That's when ya lost, homie. The Dome is gonna be rabid. Falcons have even been whining about being stuck in this spot. Falcons are the better team, but emotion could carry the day here ala beating the Panthers in the Opening Week last year.

I'm actually more doubtful Washington will beat Houston or Buffalo will beat the Jets ......those two games scare me ...not The Saints

by the way .....Auburn has the most boring offense in college or Pro football.... ...for this reason the BCS will probably fuck them

does Auburn have any famous Alum ?

not named Bo or Charles

• I'm actually more doubtful Washington will beat Houston or Buffalo will beat the Jets ......those two games scare me ...not The Saints

by the way .....Auburn has the most boring offense in college or Pro football.... ...for this reason the BCS will probably fuck them

does Auburn have any famous Alum ?

not named Bo or Charles

Well.....that's a lost bet for yr boy right there. Remember our old bet? I'm LSU. *@#$ you Bellcity!

If Auburn runs the table they won't get screwed. They're already number 2 and would be emerging from THE TOUGHEST CONFERENCE IN THE LAND undefeated.

Their offense will look better when it's not playing a D as nasty as the Bayou Bengals'.

Famous alum? Champ Bailey, Aundray Bruce ( ), Jason Campbell, The Person Brosses, Karlos Dansby, Frank Thomas (he even played a lil' TE for the football team)......

Just sayin tho...I had ta rep for my Saints. Positively geeked about MNF this week. You should worry just a lil'. You're not allowing for the "Katrina factor".

• Well.....that's a lost bet for yr boy right there. Remember our old bet? I'm LSU. *@#$ you Bellcity!

There needs to be a college football thread similiar to this one. I would love to see the sports fanatics drop jewels about college football.

If Auburn runs the table they won't get screwed. They're already number 2 and would be emerging from THE TOUGHEST CONFERENCE IN THE LAND undefeated.
    The SEC is no joke. Folls are serious about this football shit down here. You can feel it.

Frank Thomas (he even played a lil' TE for the football team)......

FYI: He's from here (Columbus, GA)

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Week 3

N.Y. Giants at Seattle ....... New York will never win this game[/b]

Go Seahawks.
    JRoot

• WEEK 3[/b]

CAROLINA OVER TAMPA BAY-[/b] the Panthers miss Steve Smith bad.. if he's back anywhere near 100% the Bucs are gonna get smashed.
    CHICAGO OVER MINNESOTA-[/b] I like the way Minnesota is determined to run the ball... that 1st drive last week was a thing of beauty, about 6 or 7 straight runs that moved the chains a couple of times, then go to the play action and hit a wide open reciever for a big gain. THAT'S FOOTBALL. But from what I'm seeing of Chicago this year, they're just gonna have too much for the Vikes. Da Bears are legit Super Bowl contenders as long as Grossman keeps playing well.
    CINCINNATI OVER PITTSBURGH- [/b]I think this could actually be a very decisive victory for the Bengals.
    DETROIT OVER GREEN BAY-[/b] unless Favre plays like the old Favre. Both teams suck arse.
    JACKSONVILLE OVER INDIANAPOLIS-[/b] come on, edpowers. You really expect Manning, with no running game, to be able to deal with a defense of this caliber? True, the Jags lack firepower on offense, but they don't need a lot with their defense. Just grind it out with ball control, keep Peyton off the field and when he is on the field beat his ass up.
    BUFFALO OVER NY JETS-[/b] The Jets actually look a lot better than I thought they would and it wouldn't be surprising if they win this game. But I gotta go with the Bills, as long as Losman doesn't self destruct (which is possible).
    MIAMI OVER TENNESSEE-[/b] Man, if they don't win this one then they are DONE. May be done anyway... Culpepper is still hurt and obviously came back too early. Even healthy he may not be the right guy for this team (or any team).
    WASHINGTON OVER HOUSTON-[/b] I'm really flip flopping on this one, because on one hand David Carr is doing well so far even in blow-out losses and on the other hand I think the Skins have too much talent to go 0-3. Clinton Portis will be back, so I think that'll be the difference... Brunell REALLY needs a running game to help him out.
    BALTIMORE AT CLEVELAND-[/b] pretty much a no-brainer
    SEATTLE OVER NY GIANTS-[/b] The Giants are not all that good and should be 0-2 right now. The eagles DOMINATED them all game last week, then just fell apart on a few key plays late that made the difference. Never should've happened. It won't happen again in Seattle... these birds will skypoop all over the g-men.
    PHILADELPHIA OVER SAN FRANCISCO-[/b] Even if the Eagles win by over 10 points, which I think they may, it's still gonna feel like a close game throughout. As I've said before, the 49ers are on the way back.
    ARIZONA OVER ST. LOUIS-[/b] I'm trying to ride with the redbirds, but I'm losing faith in this team.
    NEW ENGLAND OVER DENVER-[/b] I think both of these teams are on the downswing in the AFC right now, but Denver looks a lot worse.
    ATLANTA OVER NEW ORLEANS-[/b] That newfangled option offense may end up getting Vick killed unless he is very careful to run out of bounds, slide and do whatever he has to do to avoid contact rather than get that extra yard. But this is EXACTLY the way that you have to use him. Vick is never gonna be a traditional pocket QB, his greatest strength is his running ability. So the hell with how you're "supposed" to run an offense, Atlanta will keep beating people if they just let Vick do what he does- that's been proven for years now. And when he does get f**ked up, Schaub can come in and run it the traditional way and do a good job. It's a win-win. So although I'd like to see the Saints win their Superdome homecoming, Vick and that Falcon defense are gonna be hard to deal with.

CHICAGO OVER MINNESOTA-[/b] I like the way Minnesota is determined to run the ball... that 1st drive last week was a thing of beauty, about 6 or 7 straight runs that moved the chains a couple of times, then go to the play action and hit a wide open reciever for a big gain. THAT'S FOOTBALL. But from what I'm seeing of Chicago this year, they're just gonna have too much for the Vikes. Da Bears are legit Super Bowl contenders as long as Grossman keeps playing well.

i picked Minnesota because i think this is going to be a close game .....and i'd rather have Brad Johnson at home...in the dome

CINCINNATI OVER PITTSBURGH- [/b]I think this could actually be a very decisive victory for the Bengals.

i think the Steelers want this more ...they are tired of hearing how they would have lost if Carson not been injured .....they want to validate their ring.....BUT !! Cincinnati is a machine ....if they fix a few minor holes on defense they could be a dynasty ......who knows what happens in this game ...but i'll take talent over desire

JACKSONVILLE OVER INDIANAPOLIS-[/b] come on, edpowers. You really expect Manning, with no running game, to be able to deal with a defense of this caliber? True, the Jags lack firepower on offense, but they don't need a lot with their defense. Just grind it out with ball control, keep Peyton off the field and when he is on the field beat his ass up.

i just dont think Leftwich will ever win a big game in his life .....this is a big game and unless Jacksonville can run they will be beaten badly

BUFFALO OVER NY JETS-[/b] The Jets actually look a lot better than I thought they would and it wouldn't be surprising if they win this game. But I gotta go with the Bills, as long as Losman doesn't self destruct (which is possible).

i agree 100%

MIAMI OVER TENNESSEE-[/b] Man, if they don't win this one then they are DONE. May be done anyway... Culpepper is still hurt and obviously came back too early. Even healthy he may not be the right guy for this team (or any team).

this is Nick's chance to play Joey.....if its a blow out, he can throw him in there..if its close he SHOULD throw him in there ...but Nick has tiny balls so he probably wont do it

WASHINGTON OVER HOUSTON-[/b] I'm really flip flopping on this one, because on one hand David Carr is doing well so far even in blow-out losses and on the other hand I think the Skins have too much talent to go 0-3. Clinton Portis will be back, so I think that'll be the difference... Brunell REALLY needs a running game to help him out.

Game of the week ......the outcome will answer some serious questions

SEATTLE OVER NY GIANTS-[/b] The Giants are not all that good and should be 0-2 right now. The eagles DOMINATED them all game last week, then just fell apart on a few key plays late that made the difference. Never should've happened. It won't happen again in Seattle... these birds will skypoop all over the g-men.

Seattle was one of the greatest Power running teams ever ....but they lost the most important piece in the puzzle ...an all pro,future hall of fame,healthy Guard ..Steve Hutchinson is missed and it shows ....Deion Branch wont mean shit if they cant run ....and guess what? they CANT run

Tom Coughlin needs to take his head out of his ass and let Eli play like Peyton.....they ran that hurry up to perfection ....They need to play the same speed as Indy ...Plexiglass can be Marvin Harrison if they pick up the pace

PHILADELPHIA OVER SAN FRANCISCO-[/b] Even if the Eagles win by over 10 points, which I think they may, it's still gonna feel like a close game throughout. As I've said before, the 49ers are on the way back.

Frisco can run the ball & stop the run

Philly can run the ball & stop the run

The Yawn Bowl

ARIZONA OVER ST. LOUIS-[/b] I'm trying to ride with the redbirds, but I'm losing faith in this team.

Arizona can do everything but stop the run

The Rams cant do anything but run the ball

But this is an NFC West division game ...the Home team always wins and the losing team always covers

NEW ENGLAND OVER DENVER-[/b] I think both of these teams are on the downswing in the AFC right now, but Denver looks a lot worse.

New England is due an embarassing loss

ATLANTA OVER NEW ORLEANS-[/b] That newfangled option offense may end up getting Vick killed unless he is very careful to run out of bounds, slide and do whatever he has to do to avoid contact rather than get that extra yard. But this is EXACTLY the way that you have to use him. Vick is never gonna be a traditional pocket QB, his greatest strength is his running ability. So the hell with how you're "supposed" to run an offense, Atlanta will keep beating people if they just let Vick do what he does- that's been proven for years now. And when he does get f**ked up, Schaub can come in and run it the traditional way and do a good job. It's a win-win. So although I'd like to see the Saints win their Superdome homecoming, Vick and that Falcon defense are gonna be hard to deal with.

Atlanta is a very good football team ...they got rid of that bullshit west coast offense ...they have a superb o-line .....top 5 d-line .....line backers are sick....secondary is decent ......if they get a posession receiver the league is in trouble ....

New Orleans let Green Bay score 30 points ...

• SEATTLE OVER NY GIANTS-[/b] The Giants are not all that good and should be 0-2 right now. The eagles DOMINATED them all game last week, then just fell apart on a few key plays late that made the difference. Never should've happened. It won't happen again in Seattle... these birds will skypoop all over the g-men.

Seattle was one of the greatest Power running teams ever ....but they lost the most important piece in the puzzle ...an all pro,future hall of fame,healthy Guard ..Steve Hutchinson is missed and it shows ....Deion Branch wont mean shit if they cant run ....and guess what? they CANT run

Yeah... amazing how mediocre Alexander and Larry Johnson are looking without Hutchinson and Willie Roaf... don't get me wrong, they're both still very good backs, but they look a lot less Herculean so far this season.

Frisco can run the ball & stop the run

Philly can run the ball & stop the run

The Yawn Bowl

Nah, I think it's gonna be a fairly high scoring game. Philly's got the #1 offense in the nfl and SF's been real exciting with Gore, Smith, Davis & Bryant. I'm seeing at least a 27-17 game. The Eagles WILL make some plays and move the ball, possibly even at will.

Arizona can do everything but stop the run

They still can't run it worth schitt either. I don't have much confidence in teams that can't run and also can't stop the run. That's where everything starts if you want to have a winning team. PHYSICALITY

Atlanta is a very good football team ...they got rid of that bullshit west coast offense ...they have a superb o-line .....top 5 d-line .....line backers are sick....secondary is decent ......if they get a posession receiver the league is in trouble ....

I've been saying for the longest, while all the pundits say that Vick is garbage, he's not a real qb, blahblahblah, Vick can be a championship QB but not if they try to mold him into some cotdamn pocket passer. He WILL be garbage if they try to make him fit that west coast offense bullschitt. He'll go the same route as Randall Cunningham and other super talented black QBs who couldn't fit into that outdated thinking of what a QB is supposed to be. It's waaaay past time to come with some revolutionary offensive schemes to maximize the talents of special players like Vick, and I like the hell out of this option thing they're running in ATL right now... the schitt is almost undefensable. Vick either gives it to Dunn up the middle, or if the D plays that well Vick keeps it and scoots to the outside. If all of that is well defensed then SOMEBODY must be open downfield. I mean, they gashed the hell out of Tampa Bay last week- it wasn't even fair. Defensive coordinators are gonna have to go back to the drawing board to stop this schitt! Gotta take my hat off to Mora Jr. for realizing that putting Vick's legs in shackles is the WORST thing he could ever do.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Vick can be a championship QB

I have serious doubts about that. If Vick wants to go all the way to the SB and win it, at some point, he's going to have to learn how to read defenses and make his throws. Dude's accuracy is pretty nahmean? As far as this option offense goes...I like that folls are trying to take advantage of Vick's talents in different ways, but at the end of the day, it's too gimmicky, and with Vick spending so much time as a rusher, he's going to end up getting his block knocked off sooner or later. Even without this option offense in place, he has had trouble staying healthy for a whole season. Do you think he'll be able to go 16 games, plus playoffs, and not get hurt while basically offering himself up to the defense 15 times a game with his rushing?