THE OFFICIAL NFL 2006 THREAD

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
WEEK ONE[/b] Miami at Pittsburgh ..... MIAMI[/b] Atlanta at Carolina ..... CAROLINA[/b] Baltimore at Tampa Bay ...... BALTIMORE[/b] Buffalo at New England ...... NEW ENGLAND[/b] Cincinnati at Kansas City ..... CINCINNATI[/b] Denver at St. Louis ......... ST LOUIS[/b] New Orleans at Cleveland ...... NEW ORLEANS[/b] N.Y. Jets at Tennessee.......... NY JETS[/b] Philadelphia at Houston ........ PHILADELPHIA[/b] Seattle at Detroit .......... SEATTLE[/b] Chicago at Green Bay ........ GREEN BAY[/b] Dallas at Jacksonville ......... DALLAS[/b] San Francisco at Arizona ......... ARIZONA[/b] Indianapolis at N.Y. Giants ......... NY GIANTS[/b] Minnesota at Washington ....... WASHINGTON[/b] San Diego at Oakland ........ OAKLAND[/b] Final Standings[/b] AFC EAST[/b] Miami New England Buffalo NY Jets AFC SOUTH[/b]IndianapolisJacksonvilleHoustonTennesseeAFC NORTH[/b]Cincinnati Pittsburgh BaltimoreCleveland AFC WEST[/b]Denver Kansas CitySan Diego Oakland NFC EAST[/b] Dallas NY Giants Philadelphia Washington NFC NORTH[/b]Chicago Minnesota Green Bay Detroit NFC SOUTH[/b]Carolina Atlanta New Orleans Tampa Bay NFC WEST[/b] SeattleArizonaSt LouisSan Francisco Final Four[/b] Miami vs CincinnatiSeattle vs Dallas Rookie of the year[/b] Vernon Davis (off)Michael Huff (def)

Comments

• Yeah, I'm mad doggie. You KNOW I'm supposed to start any official NFL season threads. I was tryna do it before Thursday because I figgered somebody was gonna try to beat me to it. A-ight that's cool, edpowers. I say change the thread subject to "THE OFFICIAL NFL 2006 THREAD" and we'll keep it running all season. I will add on with what it REALLY is for 2006 when I get a minute. I noticed no super bowl picks- must mean you think Cincy's gonna put it on your Fins in that AFC title game, huh?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As usual, geaux Saints!!!

Whether that will amount to anything this season...as usual, probably not.

• there is really no need to even watch the NFL this season - panthers got it sewed up

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I say change the thread subject to "THE OFFICIAL NFL 2006 THREAD" and we'll keep it running all season.

i actually did consider waiting for the official Phill Most thread ..i'm ususally not one to break tradition...but two things changed my mind .....#1) The Miami Dolphins are going to the Super Bowl this year and i've been waiting my entire life for my moment to say this to the world ...i was just too anxious

#2)i have more football than everyone else on soulstrut ....x's 10 ........when someone removes the crown from my blessed head ....then they can author "important" NFL related threads....i mean, we wont debate this ....right? ........so... i do encourage others to start "NFL WEEK #" threads ....but, all season ending,beginning,playoff,super bowl.....you know, "important" threads i command.....

but ....because i do like your title better .....i will change the title of this thread......

would you like me to include "what it do batches ?!" ?

and i'd like to remind everyone .....

Vince Young is garbage

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    and i'd like to remind everyone .....

Vince Young is garbage

I hope that like Ron Jaworski that you haven't wagered your entire professional reputation on such obvious hogwash.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Bow down folls...............

• New England is still going to win the AFC east. I think they need another LB, but other than that are easily a better team than Miami.

Culpepper can throw the ball a mile, but also fumbles more than anybody EVAR.

• Final Standings

NFC EAST

NY GIANTS [/b]
    Dallas
    Philadelphia
    Washington

New England is easily a better team than Miami.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Truth hurts, dunnit?

I respect your allegiance to your team, Ed Powers - but
    homerism has made you lose all sense. Miami is NOT
    going to the Super Bowl this year.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    As usual, geaux Saints!!!

Whether that will amount to anything this season...as usual, probably not.

The saints are victims of a self imposed curse not unlike the Red Sox "Curse Of The Babe"

It started during the 1998 Draft when they had a chance to draft what would have been the greatest Saints player of all-time.....

Dat Nguyen

They passed on the Texas Aggie undersized linebacker and their fate was sealed....

Instead of 8 years of being Who Dat Nguyeners

They are doomed to an eternity of being Who Dat Losers!!

Truth hurts, dunnit?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

Truth hurts, dunnit?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/news/story?id=2568742
    10-2 the "experts" pick ne over miami to with the afc east...sorry ed. GO PATS!!!!

• Final Four[/b]

Miami vs Cincinnati

Seattle[/b]vs Dallas

Looks like you got it right Powers! Kinda worried about our secondary but we should be in the hunt once again you beezies! Is there any wagering goin on this season???

• New England is still going to win the AFC east. I think they need another LB, but other than that are easily a better team than Miami.

Culpepper can throw the ball a mile, but also fumbles more than anybody EVAR.

Sorry Pete,

That crown is worn by this Seattle legend:

but only because he played 22 years. Otherwise it's

• AFC[/b]

MIAMI[/b]- people are sipping this marine mammal kool-aid a little too heartily if you ask me. I do like what the coach is doing with this team, but people are acting like they're an elite team already. They are in the up and coming category, that's it. Maybe in the NFC they'd be true Super Bowl contenders (although I think the balance of power is beginning to shift), but in the AFC? I have my doubts. Ronnie Brown is basically JJ Arrington- he's nowhere near a franchise running back. I like Pep at QB but he still has a lot of questions to answer too (you know this as well as anyone, edpowers). Wild card maybe, but I still like New England to take the east.

PITTSBURGH[/b]- this will be a down year in Steeltown, the writing is on the wall. They can't count on Crash Roethlisberger to lead them to the promised land again, and I expect some of the hunger is gonna be gone from the team after the refs gave them the trophy last season.

CINCINNATTI[/b]- (did I spell that right??? the "N"s and "T"s always f**k me up)- Carson Palmer is BACK and that offense is on a par with Indy's, probably better now that Edge is in Arizona. Scary O, also a scary D... but not in a good way. That defense could be their downfall in January unless Marvin Lewis can get them palying like his Super Bowl Ravens defense (won't happen, though... just not enough talent). I just don't believe that outscoring your opponents 45-37 is the way to win a championship... it doesn't work like that in the playoffs.

INDIANAPOLIS[/b]- They still need defensive help, too. But more than anything, they just need Manning to play like the great QB everybody thinks he is once the playoffs start. If he finally steps up in the postseason the Colts will finally get to the Bowl.

DENVER[/b]- I'm gonna like the Broncs a lot more once Jay Cutler takes over next season (I saw him during the preseason, he is the REAL DEAL). As for now, with Fake Plummer at QB, I'm not feelin' em. Shanananahan is a great coach, though... highly underrated when you talk about the best in the biz.

SAN DIEGO[/b]- My pick to win the west this year... i'm just guessing that Philip Rivers can really play. If not they are in TROUBLE.

KANSAS CITY[/b]- No.

BALTIMORE[/b]- The reason why I think the Steelers will be third in their division in 2006. If they'd have had a Steve McNair behind center the past four or five years they might've had the dynasty instead of New England. The Ravens are legitimate contenders for the trophy IMO.

JACKSONVILLE[/b]- I honestly think they'd be better with David Gerrard at QB instead of Byron Leftwich. I do like Byron but he's hurt by his lack of mobility and the ability to make a play with his legs when all else breaks down. With him I see them struggling to get above .500 this year.

Other AFC notes:[/b] Oakland is a hot mess, sorry Art Shell (Jeff George??? WTF was THAT???)... the Browns are still a year or two away, hope Romeo Crennel will be able to keep his job that long... Houston will RUE not taking Reggie Bush No. 1 (they will continue to suck bad)... Tennessee looks to be in serious disarray right now too- Vince Young will make some great plays and some TERRIBLE ones in what has to be a disaster season... who's the worst team in football, you ask? Sorry, Sween- you know who it is.

NFC[/b]

DALLAS[/b]- People really believe this is a Super Bowl quality team. You gotta be kidding me! Maybe, and I mean MAYBE if they get Romo in there they'll do better. Their defense does look solid. But the T.O. circus will destroy whatever this squad has going for them... it's only a matter of time.

ARIZONA[/b]- This should finally be the year that the Cardinals come alive and become a contender. The only thing that worries me is that offensive line- they were terrible last year, the front office didn't really address it and they STILL look terrible this year.

NY GIANTS[/b]- If Eli Manning comes of age in 2006, this team will be hard to beat. They are loaded on both sides of the ball. I have my doubts about Manning, though.

SEATTLE[/b]- They should be even better than they were last year, although I still don't think they were all that impressive. Regardless, they should've been the champs last year if not for shabby officiating. Teams will be gunning for them in 2006, though- it's gonna be a tougher journey for sure.

CAROLINA[/b]- John Fox's team is the favorite in the NFC, no doubt. I can most definitely see a Carolina / NYG championship game in January. But both of those teams better look out for-

PHILADELPHIA[/b]- I know this is gonna just look like some homersim, but do NOT sleep on the Eagles, I'm tellin' you! Their d-line went from being a joke last season to being the deepest in the league in one off season. The o-line is equally deep. This is where championships are won, up front. Donte Stallworth and a healthy Correll Buckhalter are gonna change the whole offense. Not to mention having McNabb back minus the sports hernia and with his mind right. I know you don't believe me, but watch and see. Don't be surprised to see Philly deep in the playoffs.

Other NFC notes:[/b] Washington has got PROBLEMS... If Brian Griese gets to start the Bears could do some things, but I think if he does it'll be once it's too late... I'm not buying Brad Childress' "Philly North" approach in Minnesota, it's not gonna work... I can see Detroit actually winning the North this year... I think the 49ers might be better than people think they are... Reggie Bush will have some great highlights but will NOT have a rookie of the year season altogether... yo, my apologies, Sween- maybe the Jets AREN'T the worst team in football (sorry, Brett Favre).

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Hey Ed, I got your back on the Dolphins this year. Dolphins over Carolina in the Super Bowl. Culpepper for MVP. Saban for best fisherman's hat since Shannon Sharpe.

Of course when the Chiefs come into town in November, I'm all red & gold.

Some other quick notes for this year:
    Baltimore w/ McNair will be big.
    Either Pittsburgh or Cinci will miss the playoffs, not sure who yet.
    Arizona's not quite there yet.
    Jake Plummer will return to his old mistake-prone self.
    Philadelphia will bounce back and make the playoffs.
    New York Giants will go from first to worst in that division.
    Seattle will break the Super Bowl Loser curse.
    Houston will pay for passing on Reggie Bush and will draft in the same position next year.

Bold are the picks that differ from Ed's:
    QUOTE>
    WEEK 1:
    Miami at Pittsburgh ..... MIAMI
    Atlanta at Carolina ..... CAROLINA
    Baltimore at Tampa Bay ...... BALTIMORE
    Buffalo at New England ...... NEW ENGLAND
    Cincinnati at Kansas City ..... B>KANSAS CITY/B>
    Denver at St. Louis ......... ST LOUIS
    New Orleans at Cleveland ...... B>CLEVELAND/B>
    N.Y. Jets at Tennessee.......... NY JETS
    Philadelphia at Houston ........ PHILADELPHIA
    Seattle at Detroit .......... SEATTLE
    Chicago at Green Bay ........ B>CHICAGO/B>
    Dallas at Jacksonville ......... DALLAS
    San Francisco at Arizona ......... ARIZONA
    Indianapolis at N.Y. Giants ......... B>INDIANAPOLIS/B>
    Minnesota at Washington ....... WASHINGTON
    San Diego at Oakland ........ OAKLAND
    /QUOTE>

Is there any wagering goin on this season???

i dunno Jake

All im hearing is a whole bunch of dudes SAYIN New England is a lock to win the division ......blah blah this ....blah blah that

can't shake the dice all day batches.....somebody roll em

PHILADELPHIA[/b]- I know this is gonna just look like some homersim, but do NOT sleep on the Eagles, I'm tellin' you! Their d-line went from being a joke last season to being the deepest in the league in one off season. The o-line is equally deep. This is where championships are won, up front. Donte Stallworth and a healthy Correll Buckhalter are gonna change the whole offense. Not to mention having McNabb back minus the sports hernia and with his mind right. I know you don't believe me, but watch and see. Don't be surprised to see Philly deep in the playoffs.

i admit ..the Eagles have a damn good team this year

• Is there any wagering goin on this season???

i dunno Jake

All im hearing is a whole bunch of dudes SAYIN New England is a lock to win the division ......blah blah this ....blah blah that

can't shake the dice all day batches.....somebody roll em

I'm sayin. Lets gamble beezies. I'm only willin to bet on my team (I don't care if Philly goes 8-8 etc..). We will make it back to the Bowl. All the haters and naysayers picking the Panthers are on the crack rock. If I recall we beat them in the NFC title game by 30 points or some shit.

• I got money on my Big Blue. What's up??!
    I'm feeling really good about the Giants this year.

(and for me to be showing any interest this early in the season is a clear indicator of just how horrible the BoSox are doing)

• I got money on my Big Blue. What's up??!
    I'm feeling really good about the Giants this year.

(and for me to be showing any interest this early in the season is a clear indicator of just how horrible the BoSox are doing)

I can't front. The Giants are one of the teams that will be a major challenge for the Hawks this year. We survived a game in November against them but they were the better team. We bettin yaper, records?? wtf.

• We bettin yaper, records?? wtf.

Its on you. I gotta grip of DeWolfe records I can put up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I got a Nasty Nas Halftime 12" that says the Pats
    take the AFC East. Ed Powers gets first dibs if he wants to
    put his wax where his fish is.

"I'M BACK!"[/b]

• I'm sayin. Lets gamble beezies. I'm only willin to bet on my team (I don't care if Philly goes 8-8 etc..). We will make it back to the Bowl. All the haters and naysayers picking the Panthers are on the crack rock. If I recall we beat them in the NFC title game by 30 points or some shit.

Yeah, I forgot about how the Seahags took it to Carolina in that game. Holmgren clearly outcoached Fox in that one. I'm tryna remember, did the Panthers have any players out w/ major injuries in that game? Regardless, it is a new year, Weezy. I like Seattle's chances as well as anyones, but I just think it's gonna be a dogfight in the NFC this year. There's no clear cut favorite IMO. I hope we gets to play y'all batches again after that 42-0 debacle on Monday Night Football last season. It is NOT goin down like that this year, I assure you.

• #2)i have more football than everyone else on soulstrut ....x's 10 ........when someone removes the crown from my blessed head ....then they can author "important" NFL related threads....i mean, we wont debate this ....right? ........so... i do encourage others to start "NFL WEEK #" threads ....but, all season ending,beginning,playoff,super bowl.....you know, "important" threads i command.....

"i have more football"

If the rest of that mis-typed sentence is "knowledge". ISH DON'T THINK SO. We can go all day Mr. Powers.

Why don't you let your team see if they actually have an every-down RB (something Ronnie Brown has not been up to this point in his career) and a healthy QB before you put them in the SB? How about we make the playoffs first, mmmkay?

That said. I like the Dolphins. Love Saban obviously as an LSU fan. Don't sleep on the Pats tho. Brady is the truth. Have to wonder about a Pats D that is starting Seau and Mike Vrabel as its ILBs though.

• Bow down folls...............

What's that??? I thought that Bird Flew into the Steel Curtain and died?

I will be really suprised if Alexander is even top 3!

Oh my I shouldn't talk my team resigned Georgey Porgey!

What up chan man!!

• What sombody needs to do is start a soulstrut fantasy football leauge like tonight!!! Then will see what yall got!

• Oh my I shouldn't talk my team resigned Georgey Porgey!

That's alright they already cut him again.

Dood, get ready for the pain that is "Aaron Brooks quarterbacking your favorite team." Life is about to get rough.....