NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    not quite what i hoped, but thats a decent bench pick up with a little muscle. still, we need someone to hold down the paint. rick mahorn, wherefore art thou

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    not quite what i hoped, but thats a decent bench pick up with a little muscle. still, we need someone to hold down the paint. rick mahorn, wherefore art thou

How much money do you have to spend? Is Brand and Iguodala taking most the loot?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    asstro said:
    yuichi said:

And you don't necessarily have to win a title to be considered a winner....Think Barkley, Nash, Ewing, Malone, Stockton.

But ultimately, none of those guys is actually considered a winner. Great players, one and all. But none of them won anything

Maybe we're mincing words here though. No one thinks less of Nash or Malone or Stockton for not winning a ring. At worst, they get the pity nod, aka "too bad they never managed to win a championship" but that's not a knock on their skills or what they brought to the game.

I'm going to disagree here. I think if you ask real players do define what makes someone a winner the only answer is winning rings. I'm sure that Michal Jordan thinks Barkley was great, or Olajuwon about Ewing. But would a winner call someone who has never won a winner? I doubt it.

asstro said:
    mannybolone said:
    asstro said:
    yuichi said:

And you don't necessarily have to win a title to be considered a winner....Think Barkley, Nash, Ewing, Malone, Stockton.

But ultimately, none of those guys is actually considered a winner. Great players, one and all. But none of them won anything

Maybe we're mincing words here though. No one thinks less of Nash or Malone or Stockton for not winning a ring. At worst, they get the pity nod, aka "too bad they never managed to win a championship" but that's not a knock on their skills or what they brought to the game.

I'm going to disagree here. I think if you ask real players do define what makes someone a winner the only answer is winning rings. I'm sure that Michal Jordan thinks Barkley was great, or Olajuwon about Ewing. But would a winner call someone who has never won a winner? I doubt it.

So Adam Morrison is a winner?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    No, but that's not an apples to apples comparison. Compare undeniably great players. Jordan/Barkley, Ewing/Olajuwon, Elway/Marino, Emmit Smith/Barry Sanders. And on down the line.

3 Greats, 2 Winners

asstro said:
    No, but that's not an apples to apples comparison. Compare undeniably great players. Jordan/Barkley, Ewing/Olajuwon, Elway/Marino, Emmit Smith/Barry Sanders. And on down the line.

3 Greats, 2 Winners

:lush:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dear NBA Basketball Gods,

PLEASE let the Knicks hire Phil Jackson as their next coach to prove once and for all that both he and Carmelo are over-rated.

Thanks you

batmon said:
    tripledouble said:

How much money do you have to spend? Is Brand and Iguodala taking most the loot?

yup. but theres a lot of talk of paying 8mil at seasons end to amnesty Brand (as opposed to paying him 18mil!!). only longtermers are Igs and Thaddeus Young (about 9mil a year, dalla is something like 14mil). basically we have dough to spend in the offseason, especially if we jettison brand (who by the way, i am not mad at, but he aged realllly quickly. the legs are done)
    noccioni is also eating up 6-7 mil and he wont be back next season, so they may have to spend a couple hundred dollars to get a mannequin for the end of the bench

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

PLEASE let the Knicks hire Phil Jackson as their next coach to prove once and for all that both he and Carmelo are over-rated.

Thanks you

I can't imagine Phil Jackson being willing to put up with James Dolan's carnival of fuckery.

yuichi said:
    There's no luck involved in Derek Fisher's leadership and work ethic and efforts on the defensive end. Why do you think he still has a job with a franchise expected to win a title every year?

:dead:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    There's no luck involved in Derek Fisher's leadership and work ethic and efforts on the defensive end. Why do you think he still has a job with a franchise expected to win a title every year?

Seriously.

Bummer day in LA

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Seriously.

Bummer day in LA

Not really

- younger point guard
    - higher draft pick
    - bye bye Luke
    - Hello Jordan

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Seriously.

Bummer day in LA

It was inevitable, even though no one really saw it coming. I see they got rid of Walton and Kapono as well, which is fine.

Brooklyn Is fucked.

yuichi said:

It was inevitable, even though no one really saw it coming.

That contradicts itself.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Thanks you

You know, that would be pretty awesome.

Rockadelic said:

Thanks you

LULZ

Jackson's not going to NYC though.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    Brooklyn Is fucked.

For real

Horseleech said:
    The Nets better find a way to land Dwight Howard, because if they don't and Deron Williams bolts, it will be a sad spectacle when they roll into their new Brooklyn mega-center with a bunch of nobodies.

im kindof salty mcgee, nene and barbosa changed teams. i would have loevd to see any of the three come to philly

altho i dont really think we need barbosa. nice tough player for indy tho

tripledouble said:
    altho i dont really think we need barbosa. nice tough player for indy tho

Im skeptical on this acquisition. They already have Hill as the combo guard of the bench.
    AJ Price is the backup and Stevenson is a big combo guard who needs playing time to grow.
    Another small scorer off the bench is suspect to me.
    Maybe he and Hill will just speed up the second unit.

I really wanted Kaman.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Celtics didn't buy, didn't sell. Didn't do shit.

Apparently the grand plan is finish 6th, get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round, and suck with a bunch of nobodies for the next 6 years :/

SoulOnIce said:
    Celtics didn't buy, didn't sell. Didn't do shit.

Apparently the grand plan is finish 6th, get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round, and suck with a bunch of nobodies for the next 6 years :/

They won already and dont have any space to make any big moves until the big three get broken up.

It will be an old Pierce, soured Rondo( the only asset) and bunch of new jacks.

They supposedly had more than one team offer a first round pick for Allen. He is gone in 3 months, take the pick and look to the future.

I don't know what "they won already" means. 4 years ago?

SoulOnIce said:
    They supposedly had more than one team offer a first round pick for Allen. He is gone in 3 months, take the pick and look to the future.

I don't know what "they won already" means. 4 years ago?

OKC, Miami, Chicago....new blood.

Lakers and Celtics......last old blood.

Rivers wants to juice one more Playoff run vs the youngbucks. After this its a wrap.

i still dont understand the kendrick perkins thing

tripledouble said:

Danny Ainge decided back-to-back Championships was a bad idea :(

seriously, the Celtics went to game 7 of the Finals that year without him. it's not a stretch to say no trade, we win again.

that's what makes today so confusing - Ainge has shown he's not afraid to trade popular players, so why is he afraid to break up the "big three" when everyone knows they ain't gonna win shit?

Blazers pretty much blew their team up.....what a joke. Coach Mcmillian is gone. Gerald Wallace gone. Camby gone.

Denver lets go of Nene. What a bad fuckin' move.

Some of these owners are a joke. They mix and match odd pieces, hoping they'll all fit. HOPING.

"Yea let's just run with it, see what happens."

SoulOnIce said:
    tripledouble said:

Danny Ainge decided back-to-back Championships was a bad idea :(

seriously, the Celtics went to game 7 of the Finals that year without him. it's not a stretch to say no trade, we win again.

that's what makes today so confusing - Ainge has shown he's not afraid to trade popular players, so why is he afraid to break up the "big three" when everyone knows they ain't gonna win shit?

Well, you could say the Big Three, much like D Fish has earned a year or two of a victory parade for what they've done over the years. Same with the Spurs, they got a big three and although it's unlikely they'll win a title together again, it's nice to see them stay together.

I mean Lakers could have won 5 in a row if Shaq still stayed, but at the time they let him go, he was making 23 million....At the end of the day, I guess even championship franchises are a business.