NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    TJ Ford is retiring after his latest neck injury. It's a bummer, but dude gets props for making it back into the league in the first place after that spinal fusion surgery, and he gets props for being able to walk away from the game for the sake of his future health.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    Melo and Amare need a full season to gel.

They're never gonna "gel". They basically play the same position.ll.

explain this.

I mean, they're both basically a power forward. Not fast enough to burn shooting guards off the dribble, and Melo doesn't really move off-the-ball to get open shots. If one is posting, the other is usually just standing around. There's just no way in hell the three bigs can gel. No way. Offense was just more fluid with Lin doing pick and rolls and dishing off to Fields, Stoudamire, and Chandler.

Isolating Melo is too damn predictable. At least, Amare and Chandler have the concept of a pick and roll down.

I disagree.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    TJ Ford is retiring after his latest neck injury. It's a bummer, but dude gets props for making it back into the league in the first place after that spinal fusion surgery, and he gets props for being able to walk away from the game for the sake of his future health.

Dude was a blur on the court. He had some major skills. Sad to see another baller have his NBA career shortened because of a major injury.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Disagree as well. Amare is a 4, Melo is a 3. The problem isn't a similar game, it's that Melo is a ball hog.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    yuichi said:
    I think this came up last year, but does D Rose have too much to carry? Miami with the big three healthy obviously doesn't have this problem. Who would you take in a seven game series at this point??

Rose definitely has too much to carry... when Deng, Rip Hamilton and C.J. Watson all are injured. I think at least Deng is planning (hoping?) to play against Miami on Wednesday; Deng missed the teams' first match-up earlier this year so we still haven't seen how they'd look. So, right now, yes I'd still take the HEAT in a series. However, Bulls were using Noah in the offense a little bit last night's scrappy win against the Knicks, and if both Boozer and Gibson are flowin', Miami won't be able to answer Chicago's big-man depth, to say nothing of Turkish perm Omer Asik, mired in a viscous sophomore slump. Boozer is the only starter that has started every game this year.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    Melo and Amare need a full season to gel.

They're never gonna "gel". They basically play the same position.ll.

explain this.

I mean, they're both basically a power forward. Not fast enough to burn shooting guards off the dribble, and Melo doesn't really move off-the-ball to get open shots. If one is posting, the other is usually just standing around. There's just no way in hell the three bigs can gel. No way. Offense was just more fluid with Lin doing pick and rolls and dishing off to Fields, Stoudamire, and Chandler.

Isolating Melo is too damn predictable. At least, Amare and Chandler have the concept of a pick and roll down.

I disagree.

Just to echo BATMON and Motown, that's really not an accurate portrayal except for the part about isolating Melo.

Melo can create off the dribble. He's actually pretty good at that. He might not be as fast as your better 2 guards but he has way more power, and can finesse a shot over them as well.

His game is one dimensional, but it's different from STAT's, I just think he's not a good fit for the team who have lucked into finding some chemistry without him. I don't even think they should hold out for a blockbuster trade, just deal him for some role players and draft picks.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yuichi said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Dude was a blur on the court. He had some major skills. Sad to see another baller have his NBA career shortened because of a major injury.

TJ could have been an amazing player. I saw him make one of the most amazing buckets ever in the Texas State HS Finals his senior year. Dude steals the ball and drives the length of the court. One defender is back standing around the top of the key in a defensive stance. TJ dribbles right up to the guy full speed, bounces the ball hard between the defenders legs, goes around him and does an ally-oop dunk. The fans were silent and in shock...it was next next level shit. Sad that injuries took their toll on him.

motown67 said:
    Disagree as well. Amare is a 4, Melo is a 3. The problem isn't a similar game, it's that Melo is a ball hog.

He's the worst kind of ball hog....if he's hot he keeps shooting...if he's cold he keeps shooting until he gets hot...he'll never win anydamnthing, has a bad attitude, can't be coached and the Knicks need to trade him stat(no pun intended).

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:

He's the worst kind of ball hog....if he's hot he keeps shooting...if he's cold he keeps shooting until he gets hot...he'll never win anydamnthing, has a bad attitude, can't be coached and the Knicks need to trade him stat(no pun intended).

I'm not a huge Carmelo Anthony fan, but I think he won a national title at Syracuse...

Steven a Smith was on ESPN this. morning and said that its Dantonis offensive system that allows anyone to shoot that hasnt worked w Anthony. A set offense would feed the suoerstars first and then the role players can pick up the scraps.
    I doubt NY would trade Melo and let D'antoni experiment go another three more seasons. Dude is in his last contract year.

To think the knicks were "better" during Linsanity when they played garbage teams who didnt have scouting report or video tape on Lin is suspect.
    Even with a cohesive offense and some semblance of defense i still dont think the current system is good enough to be a contender.

JRoot said:
    Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:

I'm not a huge Carmelo Anthony fan, but I think he won a national title at Syracuse...

Indeed he did....big difference between that and winning in the NBA. (See: Christian Lattner)

Rockadelic said:
    JRoot said:
    Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:

Indeed he did....big difference between that and winning in the NBA. (See: Christian Lattner)

Corliss Williamson

batmon said:

To think the knicks were "better" during Linsanity when they played garbage teams

They were though. I can't imagine this current squad (w/ Melo) winning 8 or 9 in a row, even against
    garbage squads.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    JRoot said:
    Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:

Corliss Williamson

Pervis Ellison

I remember one year in Denver, he was unstoppable. Dude's were calling him the best offensive player in the league. I think the reason he was so effective was because Denver at the time had a bunch of other ballers that were spreading the floor real well. I think this would be the only real way Melo can be effective. Knicks don't really have a knock-down 3 point shooter or a dude like Chris Paul that can get you easy buckets with dribble penetration.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Carmelo is an elite player...you build around dudes like him.The Knicks have a bunch of parts that don't fit with Melo or that AAU offense they run...trade Stat while he still has value

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    JRoot said:
    Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:

Corliss Williamson

Pervis Ellison

Ed Pinckney

(No disrespect to Ed. I went to a basketball camp of his back in the day--real good dude right there.)

yuichi said:
    I remember one year in Denver, he was unstoppable. Dude's were calling him the best offensive player in the league. I think the reason he was so effective was because Denver at the time had a bunch of other ballers that were spreading the floor real well. I think this would be the only real way Melo can be effective. Knicks don't really have a knock-down 3 point shooter or a dude like Chris Paul that can get you easy buckets with dribble penetration.

Steve Novak is the Knicks knock down 3 point shooter.

And Lin penetrates the defense and get his assists w dribble penetration.

Do u only watch highlights?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Novak is shooting almost 48% from 3-point range, second in the league.

Warriors trade Ellis + cannon fodder to the Bucks for Bogut and Jackson? That's a good look.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Warriors trade Ellis + cannon fodder to the Bucks for Bogut and Jackson? That's a good look.

great.
    a guy who is out for the rest of the season (bogut, who is constantly hurt) a guy who hasn't played in months (jackson, b/c scott skiles sucks) for the warriors best player and their only healthy center (udoh) that's worth a damn and an expiring contract (brown).

the warriors will owe 36 mil for biedrins, bogut and lee in 2014. they don't have any draft picks until 2016.
    should be awesome to watch steph & bogut continue to get hurt and nate robinson be tough while jacking up ill advised jumpers from 32 feet out as the clock expires.

they just shit the bed. fuck this team.

JimBeam said:
    DJ_Enki said:

the warriors best player

No way. Check out the first bullet point here. Ellis is a classic "scores a lot for a bad team, but can't make the team better" player.

top 10 scorer in the league
    numbers got better and scoring efficiency up for 7 years straight.
    suffered from the "possibly bad attitude and too many tattoos" syndrome in the media. AI-related

nobody can make a team better when it is so severely flawed at every other position.
    he was easily their best and most reliable player. when's the last time he was injured?

this trade is MIL payback for the warriors fooling them into taking corey maggette.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Yea, but that's about all Novak can do right? Again, predictable. Doesn't help free up Melo completely.
    Lin has to cater to Melo too, which takes him out of his game. Melo does not fit. Team plays well without him. Done.

he was easily their best and most reliable player

AI syndrome cuz he don't make his teammates better. A great player will make his teammates better. Melo is in the same boat. They'll get you 25 a game, but that's it. Two complimentary players can get you 25 a game, and they might even give you defense. And maybe even inspire a TEAM. Think about that shit.

Knowledge dropped.

oh right. i forgot.
    INTANGIBLES.

get off my lawn
    play the "right" way.
    college players try harder. march madness.

all that knowledge. ok.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Yea, but that's about all Novak can do right? Again, predictable. Doesn't help free up Melo completely.
    Lin has to cater to Melo too, which takes him out of his game. Melo does not fit. Team plays well without him. Done.

Dude. u said that the Knicks dont have a three point threat. Now u asking him to be more than what you asked? WTF?

Lin should be catering to Melo. You actually believe LIn should be the offensive engine of the team?

Ellis had to go.
    Philly got lucky and built a solid role playing team around AI and they at least got the Finals.
    They werent stuck w the bad contracts that Golden State had to make some improvements.
    They had to trade their only chip. Deal.

Melo has way more help than Ellis does so there is no comparison.

In the summer of 2008 ??? after signing a six-year, $66 million contract ????? he messed up his ankle riding a moped and lied about it. Most of the season was lost to injury and the situation berthed a feud with then-Warriors president Robert Rowell, who suspended Ellis for 30 games and threatened to void Ellis' contract.

In 2009, he opened the season by criticizing the drafting of point guard Stephen Curry, deeming the two couldn't win together. During the 2009-10 season, Ellis had multiple run-ins with then-coach Don Nelson.

Back in early February, Ellis made national news when a sexual harassment charges against him were made public by accuser Erika Smith, a former Warriors employee.

With all that, Golden State still demanded it get a star in return in any trade for Ellis. While many around the league felt the price was too high for the Warriors. Much of the talk involved Ellis going to Orlando. But Ellis agreed now was a good time for him to go.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Yea, but that's about all Novak can do right? Again, predictable.

That's the whole point of a 3 point shooter - predictability. You know he can sink the three so you have to keep a man on him.

I agree that Melo is the odd man out . Amare is off, too.

Philly got lucky

There's absolutely no luck involved in motivating teammates and taking mediocre NBA players to build a strong team; one that's founded on great chemistry.

I mean seriously, what else does Melo and Ellis bring besides 25 points? I'd like to know.