NBA OFFSEASON 2010: BRONMANIA aka FA INSANITY

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is Lebron/Wade/Bosh that much different than KOBE/Artest/Gasol?

And yeah JP his "Brand" would suffer but wouldnt winning help in the end?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I asked yesterday but no one touched the question: Would a new super-big three be perceived as a good or bad thing by league?

I still say bad. I'm not a big wrestling fan but Lebron joining the Heat reminds me of Macho Man joining with Hulk Hogan and the rest of nWo (New World Order): An all-star team that seems evil.

No matter what happens, the Heat uniforms are still fugly. If Lebron had signed with the Knicks, Bulls or Nets -- all of those jerseys would have probably sold more than the Miami one.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    batmon said:

YES. It's comparable to Garnet, Pierce and Allen, but much better. Lebron & Wade are mvp caliber - the celtics 3 are not.

keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:

YES. It's comparable to Garnet, Pierce and Allen, but much better. Lebron & Wade are mvp caliber - the celtics 3 are not.

Garnett was the MVP
    Pierce was THE FINALS MVP.
    Allen - whatever

i dont see why consolidating great players is seenn as wrong yet most championship teams have 3 great players.

Magic Worthy Kareem is Cheating????

Parker,Ginolbli,Duncan is cheating

I dont get the hatt?

Olajuwan,Horry,Drexler or whatever those teams had?

Pairing MVPs is fine IMO.

Malone,Payton,Shaq,Kobe = FAIL.

It doesnt guarantee shit IMO.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    white tea - Superstars or not, I still think the ultimate importance is chemistry. If you have a bunch of allstars who can't play together, you won't win. I have to give the Celtics credit because they bought a bunch of stars and were able to get them to coexist instantly which gave them great success. So, the ultimate question is: can younger stars like Wade and Lebron coexist on a team or will it become a struggle for the spotlight? How will the overall team chemistry fair in a situation like that? Can a young coach like Eric Spoelstra handle the responsibility of managing multiple mega superstar egos? I am highly skeptical. I think Lebron and Wade are still too young to give up some of their shine. I don't think the chemistry would be automatic like it was with the Celtics since Ray and KG were both already so old and had never really had any great success in the playoffs (edit: they both went to the WCF, I suppose that is some success), they were much more willing to set their egos aside and become part of a team.

batmon - I agree with you there, how can you hate on three good players on a team when many of the great teams had three great players? I think it's because these days, the celebrity of basketball is a little more out of control and these players are perceived as much bigger and better than they might have been 10-20 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong). This perspective gives people the impression that it's unfair to have three players who are that good on one team, when in reality, these guys aren't a whole lot more special than any of the great players on teams of the past.

Riley will come down from the office to coach like he did when Shaq came to Miami.

Eric aint driving this new car.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I think going to Miami would make Lebron look like a heel. is that what he's going for with his brand?

YES.

That is Wade's team. He's won there, and this just makes it look like everyone came to him. Does NOT help the 'Bron Brand at all, imo.

That ring that Wade won as the Alpha-Dog changes everything for him, and his stakes, in this whole re-shuffle.

In all honesty, if 'Bron goes to NYC and returns the title to the Knicks, it would do more for his legacy than winning 7 with the, "Super Dream All-Star," Squad.

It ain't cheating, but it doesn't make him look like The Man.

gareth said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I think going to Miami would make Lebron look like a heel. is that what he's going for with his brand?

YES.

That is Wade's team. He's won there, and this just makes it look like everyone came to him. Does NOT help the 'Bron Brand at all, imo.

That ring that Wade won as the Alpha-Dog changes everything for him, and his stakes, in this whole re-shuffle.

In all honesty, if 'Bron goes to NYC and returns the title to the Knicks, it would do more for his legacy than winning 7 with the, "Super Dream All-Star," Squad.

Do u wanna be "the man" like youve been for the last 7 years in Cleveland or do want a ring?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Loading up 3-4 teams with the best 10-12 players in the game just make the Regular Season even less important than it already is.

Let's just have the playoffs and shut down the other 25 franchises.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    Riley will come down from the office to coach like he did when Shaq came to Miami.

Eric aint driving this new car.

this is the truth if i ever heard it

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    G_Balliando said:
    how can you hate

Wait, I'm supposed to become a Miami fan - a team I've *always* hated on - because The 2011 Dream Team is assembling there? That makes me hate them MORE. I don't feel a way about Wade or Bosh - great players, both - but I would've loved to see Lebron win in Cleveland, forget coming to New York. And if this actually goes down (I'm not convinced this is anything other than an elaborate ruse, yet) I really don't think it's Lebron's best foot forward. As Gareth said, he's going to D-Wade's team where dude already won a ring and is the man. I don't see how this helps the Lebron James Brand at ALL. He was shooting for Jordan status, what part of Jordan's game is this? This is more a Kobe Bryant look IMO. Kobe's a star, sure, and the game's best player currently - but he's no Michael Jordan.

So where was this hatt when Boston does it.

Or Gasol magically appears in LA?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    batmon said:

Neither are on the same level IMO.

And my Boston/LA hatred is well documented.

Next!

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    batmon said:

Next!

This place was FULL of Boston/LA hate.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    batmon said:

Totally different deal.

That was a last push by three dudes who were aging out of their prime.

I don't see any way this happens, though; I think it's misinformation originating with Lebron's camp in order to make the inevitable resigning with Cleveland more dramatic.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    batmon said:
    gareth said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

YES.

Do u wanna be "the man" like youve been for the last 7 years in Cleveland or do want a ring?

In a league where legacies are defined as making a team YOUR team, I don't think that ring is going to do it for LeBron. Frankly, this all just makes Kobe look more like the man.

I think LeBron is running the risk of being labeled as the most talented player in history who had to load up with other superstars to win. He couldn't take a team on his back and lead them- he had to enlist Wade, and go to Wade's team, to win.

Not really great for the HOF Bust.

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    batmon said:

Next!

This place was FULL of Boston/LA hate.

Mchale gave Ainge and The Celtics Garnett.

Gasol pops up to help Kobe win.

I dont get why anyone is suprised in 2010 that dudes want to combine forces.

Rasheed joined the Pistons and got Chauncey/Wallace/Hamilton/Prince a Ring.

RINGERS are a part of the system.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    batmon said:

I was pissed both times -- Garnett was rumored forever to be coming to the Bulls and their offers to the Timberwolves was better than what they eventually got from the Celtics, not even mentioning that Ainge or whoever was Minnesota's GM gave the sweet deal to his old squad.

Same deal with Gasol -- traded to L.A. for pennies on the dollar. That was so bogus, especially when Chicago again was offering a better deal.

The Bulls have seemingly needed a big post presence forever and got one finally (Boozer) after getting rid of anyone who can play SG.

gareth said:
    batmon said:
    gareth said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

YES.

In a league where legacies are defined as making a team YOUR team, I don't think that ring is going to do it for LeBron. Frankly, this all just makes Kobe look more like the man.

I think LeBron is running the risk of being labeled as the most talented player in history who had to load up with other superstars to win. He couldn't take a team on his back and lead them- he had to enlist Wade, and go to Wade's team, to win.

Not really great for the HOF Bust.

Did u watch this FINALS???
    Artest was the game 7 MVP not KOBE.
    KOBE WASNT Shit until GASOL came to LA.

Wade's Team has done shit since 2006.
    Wade/Miami isnt like some EC elite team that Lebron is jumping aboard.

And why would that/this be any more fucked up if he joined STAT in NYC?

Or ROSE in Chicago.

I dont get yall logic?

white_tea said:
    batmon said:

I was pissed both times -- Garnett was rumored forever to be coming to the Bulls and their offers to the Timberwolves was better than what they eventually got from the Celtics, not even mentioning that Ainge or whoever was Minnesota's GM gave the sweet deal to his old squad.

Same deal with Gasol -- traded to L.A. for pennies on the dollar. That was so bogus, especially when Chicago again was offering a better deal.

The Bulls have seemingly needed a big post presence forever and got one finally (Boozer) after getting rid of anyone who can play SG.

The Gasol deal was a joke....dude was not shopped around one bit.....it was a "help LA" deal.....no one thought Kwame Brown was gonna suddenly become a player.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The whole "ain't gonna be LeBron's squad" meme is totally retarded. LeBron will own the team as he would anywhere else except LA. If they win, he looks like a genius if not, he's a George Gervin or Karl Malone. Great player can't win the big one. Either way no one will care that he doesn't stay in Cleveland.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    gareth said:

I think LeBron is running the risk of being labeled as the most talented player in history who had to load up with other superstars to win.

You could have said the exact same thing about Wilt and last I checked, his legacy isn't too tarnished by it.

This whole "carrying his team on his shoulders" bit plays well on broadcasts but it's a myth otherwise.

faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

Totally different deal.

And they went to the Finals twice in their three years together.

Is that not success?

20 year olds consolidating is different from 30 year olds?

Good play is good play either way.

Payton in Miami off the bench was old, yet contributed. That's unfair?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Loading up 3-4 teams with the best 10-12 players in the game just make the Regular Season even less important than it already is.

Let's just have the playoffs and shut down the other 25 franchises.

Exactly. The NBA should really cut out half the franchises if this new model becomes status quo. Teams will deliberately sign average players to short term, cheap contracts so that they have enough salary cap room to create a dynasty (when the opportunity arises). The salary cap is great for competition but it's clearly not enough. The top players want to play in the major markets. Oklahoma City will never win a championship...ever. On the other hand, the Knicks could have the worst team in the league and theoretically be the champions the next season (ask the Celts).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    batmon said:
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

Totally different deal.

Is that not success?

I never said anything about unfair; I just don't think the two situations are comparable.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:

Parker,Ginolbli,Duncan is cheating

I see your point, but just to stick up for my squad for a second, the Spurs drafted and developed all three of those players (well, they didn't exactly develop Duncan because he didn't need much development), which makes it a different situation.

'Bron-to-Miami is probably just a rumor, but if it actually happens, then yeah, I will hatt the shit out of Miami.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm liking Simmons' psycho-analysis here:

"Any super-competitive person would rather beat Dwyane Wade than play with him. Don't you want to find the Ali to your Frazier and have that rival pull the greatness out of you? That's why I'm holding out hope that LeBron signs with New York or Chicago (or stays in Cleveland), because he'd be saying, "Fine. Kobe, Dwight and Melo all have their teams. Wade and Bosh have their teams. The Celtics are still there. Durant's team is coming. I'm gonna go out and build MY team, and I'm kicking all their asses." That's what Jordan would have done. Hell, that's what Kobe would have done.

In May, after the Cavs were ousted in the conference semifinals, I wrote that LeBron was facing one of the greatest sports decisions ever: "winning (Chicago), loyalty (Cleveland) or a chance at immortality (New York)."

I never thought he would pick "HELP!"

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    Oklahoma City will never win a championship...ever.

I wouldn't count them out so easily. They quietly locked down Durant for five more years yesterday, and their GM knows how to work the cap, build a roster & accumulate tradable assets. If they can't get it done during Durant's career it may have more to do w/ being stuck in the Western Conference than being stuck in a small market.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    maocontent said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    Oklahoma City will never win a championship...ever.

I wouldn't count them out so easily. They quietly locked down Durant for five more years yesterday, and their GM knows how to work the cap, build a roster & accumulate tradable assets. If they can't get it done during Durant's career it may have more to do w/ being stuck in the Western Conference than being stuck in a small market.

Yeah, OKC is definitely on the come-up. Also, Durant gets props for:

1) Re-upping with OKC, and
    2) Just signing the contract and moving along without being a spoiled little diva about it

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    batmon said:
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

Totally different deal.

Is that not success?

Yeah, it's just the way that this is taking place - by younger dudes & via free agency more or less choosing their own destinies - that's unprecedented. And that's more or less is what's provoking such *ahem* heated reaction. Of course, you're gonna be mad, unless Miami's your team.