***Blog here***

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    played The Sensations' 'Born To Love You' over and over and over this weekend and wish I was home now to play it agaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnn

can someone PLEASE contribute a tried and true recipe for berber spice mixture? and though I'm not one for measurements in cooking, I think they might be essential for success in this case.

I bought a ticket to see Shirin Neshat speak next week. It's out of town and am going to take the train there. I took off work and am trying to keep my shit together, but this is my lady right here and I don't want to build it up in case she disappoints or there is a huge snowstorm and she cancels or the train falls off the rails or I have a meltdown for any possible reason and don't go. But I AM SO EXCITED. I will knock an old lady down to get a good seat.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I'm not drinking/smoking the whole of January and I'm not liking it.
    My wife and kid left for a sleepover at her parents and I'm really tempted to roll a joint, have a whiskey and watch Sopranos.

• When will people with websites realize that white text on a black background is not a good look?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I saw Tony Blair the other day. He was taller than I imagined.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The sight of Coolio desperate for the puccini on Celebrity Big Brother is hand-gnawingly hilarious. As is the fact that he is getting roundly clonned by Mini Me.
    And LaToya Jackson.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Gerald G Explains How He Was Raised
    Interview by Harvey Canal

Gerald G has for years held it down as Austin???s most voracious freestyler at local shows. Gerald???s latest live sets with singer Staci Russell prove him to be a well-nuanced performer and his still-underappreciated Mr. 512 mix cd channels a thunderstorm of intense, double-timed lyrical expression. Fresh off the release of his first video, Gerald sat down to discuss how he landed on his particular planet of frenetic rap style.

HC: So which artists inspired you to rap?

GG: Ice Cube, 2Pac, then I got into Twista. I liked the fast rap, I thought it was murder, just chopping up all those words. Then I got into Bone and then my people put me onto Screw.

HC: Was that a weird change for you to go from fast rap to the slowed down style?

GG: I didn???t like it at first, but after I start hearing it for a minute I was like ???yeah, that???s it???. You just had to get used to it. You know everybody likes to turn down something when they first hear something different.

HC: So was it that you were originally from Compton, California that had you digging on West Coast rap?

GG: I???m pretty sure that???s why I knew about all of them before I even knew about Screw and all of that, because that???s where I came from. And all the soul music we were listening to was just glorious on that California radio. I can???t remember a whole lot of things I when I was little, but I can remember those songs and the melodies. I remember just riding listening to the radio. And my mom was a tourist, especially in Cali. We???d shoot to San Francisco and then to Oakland and back to LA. Then my kinfolk worked for Universal Studio, so we were into entertainment at way little.

HC: On your mix cd, you mention being a young teen running around rapping with a karaoke machine. Is that when you started formulating your style?

GG: When I first started, I was just rapping like everyone else really because I didn???t know where to start from. We were probably rapping just like Houston. I know we were coming down for a minute. When that came around, we got into that and we was coming down. But that wasn???t our roots so we didn???t hold onto it like most people. So I eventually went back to regular, you know, what I think. You got to be original. You can???t be coming down way in Austin. You got to be Keke to be coming down.

HC: When you speak of we, who are you talking about?

GG: Everybody I made listen to music with me. I was already walking up to everybody saying ???listen to this, man??? and trying to rap to them. That???s back when I wasn???t really making any rhyming words together. They were like ???ah no, shut up???. Way back then when I first started I was just rapping anything. We were just saying anything, probably didn???t make sense or go together. We were just rapping, happy and crunk, trying to put people on our tapes, when they were probably just garbage. I wish I could find one.

Anyway, when you live music, you become music. Eventually my style formed and I got my swag. You just start punching wild for a couple of years, you???re gonna wind up learning how to throw a combo. So as soon as I got hold of that combo, and then know how I was throwing that combo, then you can start throwing extra punches with the combo. You got your main combo there, and then you start throwing extra combos. You throw another hook in there, throw a left blow. So it just grooves, that???s how I figured it out. And you see how other people punch too. Watch Pac, watch Twista, check their format, see how they throw their blows. You don???t just copy their blows but you can use something. You can use something from everybody because that???s where everybody comes from anyway, everybody. They???re either just more developed or they just tweaked a style that somebody else had and now its an original style, or it???s a little bit better than the style before it, or its worse. But everybody???s style is off somebody???s style. It doesn???t matter where it???s from, somebody was saying it like that before.

HC: And how did the church come into play for your music?

GG: The church choirs were always off the chain, especially going to my kinda churches. They be going live, like they doing cd???s in the church. That was always good music. My roots is from the church, we were always in the church. So no matter where I go in life, I???m going to end up going to the church, going back to home. It???s already in me. There were a couple of times that I performed in the church, was in the choir and all that kinda stuff. I still really like that kinda stuff. Most people might think that???s kinda crazy, but shit...all I know is God.

http://www.atxmovement.blogspot.com/

I really am not a fan of reality themed TV shows and feel they should have died a death as soon as members of the public were replaced with "celebrities". Despite this I am absolutely hypnotised by Masterchef.

I think it's the combination of the unhuman John and michellin man Gregg excitedly shouting at each other while some unfortunate offers up their burnt rhubarb crumble for tasting that just wins me over every time.

Speaking of which, I've noticed a disturbing trend recently that all contestants are either a) reasonable 30 year old cooks who have gone on the show to deal with their overwhelming emotional baggage or b) Twenty somethings who have no concept of cooking but who are labelled exciting because they make a dish with chilli and ice cream on the same plate.

I have eaten in Torrode's restaurant though and have to admit that the lizard tongued man's food was most excellent.

• On a whole other note why can't I get a reservation at Momofuko Ko?! Everyday I'm on the site at 10:00 on the dot, I click on the green check mark and not once have I gotten it. Here I am trying to get my gourmet on and surprise the wife for x-mas with seats for the motherfucker but nothing. This reservation system sucks.

So one month later and I finally get the reservation today. Too late for x-mas and too early for Valentines but what the hell, lets see if it lives up to the hype. Honestly I'm pretty psyched to have finally gotten them.
    [color:white]After all this effort I better get some head after dinner[/color]

I wiped out on some ice on my street last night, landed on my elbow and am in PAIN today. I was so close to ringing the people's doorbell to complain about them not clearing or salting their front, but decided against it. I should save my crazy-lady-at-#49 behaviour for something better.

After attempting Great Expectaions and A Tale of Two Cities and putting them aside, I am reading Sons and Lovers for the first time since I was a teenager and have realized that as an adult, I am not really feeling the English greats' take on oppressive and unrelenting cruelty and depression.

The sing-off between the new judge on AI and the bikini girl last night was SO EMBARASSING and reinforced every conceivable stereotype regarding jealousy/catty behaviour between women. Terrible.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I'm not drinking/smoking the whole of January and I'm not liking it.
    My wife and kid left for a sleepover at her parents and I'm really tempted to roll a joint, have a whiskey and watch Sopranos.

but I didn't, well done B*s! Big up yourself.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm no fan of That southern cooking lady.... Damn, I can't remember her name.... she's like a nice nancy grace... but anyways she happened to be on the other day and she said "I'm sweatin' like a fat girl writing her first love letter..." and I almost fell out of my seat.

I actually think I dig that lady now. Either way thats some funny shit.

Nancy Grace can eat my ass though.

• I'm not drinking/smoking the whole of January and I'm not liking it.

but I didn't, well done B*s! Big up yourself.

I stopped smoking on a regular basis years ago. But I drink a glass of whisky every night. I don't remember the last time I drank enough to catch more than a mild buzz, but I feel like I should take a few days off. A whole month would be tough though. Props.

Woke up yesterday to discover that my boiler appears to have gone kaput and we have no hot water or central heating. Considering we live in a Victorian house that hasn't yet got double glazing it would be an understatement to describe it as chilly at the moment.

After staying in last night woke up today with headache and sore throat which makes me worried that we may have a carbon monoxide leak so straight on the phone this morning to engineers to come round tomorrow.

Obviously perfect time of year to have to fork out hundreds of pounds on boiler maintenance. In the spirit of Corleone, just when I think I'm getting somewhere with the house, another thing breaks.

Am not a happy bunny.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My ipod is effing with me...It's on the ropes. Not happy!

still on the ropes

MY WORD - is there anything better than an almond croissant and a really good clean strong double americano? NOT MUCH.

The busdriver who was on my shitlist for taking away a teenage girl's bus pass and kicking her off the bus because she didn't have the fare when she was on her way to SCHOOL is on my I'll-think-about-it list now. A mom, at the most 15, was at the front with her stroller and she asked if he was done with his paper, he said yea, take it, and then at the next stop, he asked if she wanted to jump off and grab one of the other free papers, too? she did and grabbed one for each of them. We'll see what he does next.

You Better Believe It - Brothers of Soul
    swoon, sigh, surrender, crumple to the floor

• bowie, a cup of ice and burritos at almost 4am.....yes plaese!

• Options
    Last night I stepped out of work at around 6:30 into some wicked wind and nasty 22 degree cold weather, and right away heard some music in the distance. I figured someone had a car stereo going a block away or something like that. As I walked out onto the street it got louder, and I looked up the completely deserted street to find an enterprising young child of the ghetto walking a snails pace with a Radio Raheem-sized box pumping Aretha Franklin. We usually see the same recurring characters in this neighborhood, like the guy who rides by on his bike and barks like a dog at us, or Leon with the bootlegs, or the scrap metal hustlers, or the kid who's been riding a stolen dirtbike for 4 months and we've seen outrun the cops twice, but this was my first glimpse of the soul addict who enjoys lazy walks in the cold. I hope he sticks around.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I invented the best breakfast ever. I think they're gonna name a city after me, or change the name of bacon to honor me. It's so good. Four people who ate it looked like they wanted to ejaculate after the first bite. I need to write this down.

Worked on an ad campaign for a new chocolate bar; the name of which hints at sexual promiscuity, so it's no surprise that a committee of a thousand ad people decided to take the literal route and make the ad mostly about sex (surprise) and throw the candy bar in as an afterthought. The photographer kept yelling to the models, "Think of something that turns you on... Yes, Yes, Yes! That's it! Yeeeeessssss! Ohhhh baby ... Arch your back, arch it, deep breath... Yes! Now give me the orgasm face... YES!" I'm not even kidding. He was British, too, so it all felt like an Austin Powers gag reel. So cliche. Grade A douche. I got paid huge, though, and drank espresso all day from the in-house barista. Love these ridiculous advertising budgets.

My dear friend recently published a book and I just finished reading it for the second time. So awesome, and inspiring, and jaw-droppingly good.

Everyone I love are making records right now. 2009 should be a good year for music.

Listening to Dirty Three's "Authentic Celestial Music" while it snows and the radiator is hissing is pretty much the most beautiful thing in the world.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I signed escrow paperwork yesterday. again.

• I invented the best breakfast ever. I think they're gonna name a city after me, or change the name of bacon to honor me. It's so good. Four people who ate it looked like they wanted to ejaculate after the first bite. I need to write this down.

I saw your breakfast then I...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I invented the best breakfast ever.

How can you say that, then not tell us what the breakfast is? I bet it's chocolate chip pancakes with hollandaise sauce, served with a glass of OJ and a fifth of Jameson.

huevos rancheros: well-done eggs on soft taco shells slathered in a extra spicy mole verde, slightly lemon-y refried beans topped with sharp cheese, cilantro-laden pico de gallo, all with a glass of fresh pineapple juice?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    here's my huevos rancheros: over easy eggs, corn cakes, baked beans sharp chedder, salsa and barbados hot sauce...double cappacino and oj
    mmm bitch!

oh yea my ipod is a heap o'shit so I'm on my third ipod. Get the extended warranty people.

• owner of the only real and top shelf Mexican place in town hooked my girl and I up with some fresh from the fryer chicarrone(sp) with meat still attached...HOLY SHIT it was amazing...he was frying them up for the special tomorrow, empanada chicarrone...might have to eat there towmorrow...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    chicarrone(sp)

chicharron (singular)

chicharrones (plural)

Have you tried "chicharron bread"?? Man, eating one of those things is like making love to Francoise Hardy (age 25) on a private beach.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    huevos rancheros: well-done eggs on soft taco shells slathered in a extra spicy mole verde, slightly lemon-y refried beans topped with sharp cheese, cilantro-laden pico de gallo, all with a glass of fresh pineapple juice?

Huevos rancheros is my favorite breakfast to eat out. Eating in? I make chilaquiles (usually chilaquiles con chorizo, but if you're visiting it can be veggie) almost every weekend. That's my favorite to cook, then eat. Well, that is until I invented the best breakfast on the face of this godforsaken earth.

I invented the best breakfast ever.

How can you say that, then not tell us what the breakfast is?

I needed to give all you dudes time to blog about it first. You know, some "On the weekend at home tip with a Miles LP, the dog, and some kush, I got the perfect breakfast dish for you hungry diggers out there. Stay tuned for a big update. Only here at www.beatdiggerkitchenkingz.com "

Here it is:

BAM'S BIG THYME BACON APPLE HOME FRIES[/b]

I've been semi-obsessed with pork and apples lately. It's such a nice combination of flavors. It was my "Granny Smith Bacon Mint Rigatoni with Gorgonzola and Thyme" dinner recipe that lead me to this breakfast recipe. But, we'll have to get into that another time.

INGREDIENTS[/b]

3 to 4 medium Yukon potatoes, cleaned (not skinned)
    1 Granny Smith apple
    1 large yellow onion
    1/2 pound thick cut bacon (I was gonna say any bacon will work, but F*ck that, you need that Beyonc??-like thickness)
    Handful of fresh thyme
    Generous splash of olive oil
    Thick blob of butter
    Salt and pepper to taste

(Serves 2 or 3)

PREPARATION[/b]

Bacon:[/b] On a baking sheet, lay out strips of bacon, put into oven on 400?? until that shit looks done, about 10 minutes.
    Before you ask, yes, you should bake the bacon. It involves much less splatter, it cooks more thoroughly (since the bacon won't curl and raise off the skillet, and because the oven is more evenly heated than a large pan on a burner), you won't have to flip or rotate your strips. Cooking bacon in the oven is tits. Trust me.
    Remove bacon from cookie sheet, dry on paper towels, then dice into big bite size chunks. Set aside.

Flavor:[/b] While the bacon is cooking, dice the onion and apple. In a large skillet, pour a small puddle of olive oil and over medium heat saut??e the onions and apple together for about 5 minutes, until softened. Around 3 minutes, dump in the handful of fresh thyme (bottled can work if you can't find any fresh), shake a bunch of salt and pepper over everything, and right near the end, dump in your bite-sized bacon chunks. Stir, kill the flame, cover (or put into a bowl with a lid if that's your only skillet, cause you're gonna need it -- cleaned -- for the potatoes)

Potatoes:[/b] Clean the dirt off them shits, either with a brush or gently with some steel wool. Dice them into consistent, bite sized squares. This is important. There is a way to do this that makes each little potato cube the perfect size. Do this, it will make breakfast taste better.
    Place cube potatoes in a pot, fill with cold water, then place pot a burner set to high flame and bring to a rapid boil, but only just. About 6 or 7 minutes. Once it's boiling immediately drain the potatoes in a colander.

The starch molecules in the potatoes change when they are hot. By dumping potatoes into boiling water, the molecules change quickly and the potatoes retain a bunch of water, then get mushy when you cook them. By starting with the potatoes in cold water, the change in the molecules is slower and by the time they start to wick, you've got them out of the water and instead of soaking up water they soak up yummy bacon fat and onion flavor. You feel me?

Once you've drained the potatoes, put your clean skillet on medium high heat, dump in a generous gulp of olive oil and a thick pad of butter (about 1 1/2 tablespoons). Once the butter is bubbling, dump your potatoes in, stir them to soak up all the oil and butter, and then let them sit still. DON'T MESS WITH THEM. They should sit still and cook for like 5 minutes. This will make the side that is touching the pan nice and golden brown. After five minutes, if you're a patient man, you can turn each potato piece individually so an uncooked portion is touching the pan. If you're like me, you'll stir them shits for 30 seconds, look around and see that most have landed on a new side, you'll negotiate a new position with a few of them that landed on their cooked side again, then give up. Let them sit still for another 5 minutes.

So, a cube potato has six sides, right? Do this like 6 times.

Once you're on your last rotation, get all your shit together. After 4 minutes or so on the last side, dump in your apple, bacon, onion, thyme mixture. Stir around. Let that cook for a few minutes. Serve immediately.

SERVING SUGGESTIONS:[/b] I like to serve this as a side dish to my wife's popovers. The popovers are nice with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and a dusting of powdered sugar.

Also, whip up some scrambled eggs near the 4th round of your potatoes and serve this as a side to the side.

Serve to friends, paired with juice, coffee and The Pop Group's "Where There's A Will". Then get a wetnap cause they're gonna . . .

I CAN'T HANDLE MORE SNOW
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
    I NEED SUN
    I DON'T CARE IF IT'S -40 I NEED SUN
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG[/b]

• speaking of snow. it's icy as hell where i'm at in texas. i fell on my ass yesterday. i slipped on a curb and fell back on the edge of a step. i told my mom and she was like, "you'll feel that in the morning." and i thought to myself, "feeling something the next morning is old people shit." now it's the next morning and my ass hurts. also, i cut myself on a cheese grater last night. it just took the band aid off the cut. it's still bleeding.

• Looks great. I make something similar, but I like to reserve some of the bacon fat for cooking the potatoes. Since your method seems carefully considered I'm curious if there's a particular reason aside from flavor or health preferences that you use the oil/butter.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Huevos rancheros is my favorite breakfast to eat out. Eating in? I make chilaquiles (usually chilaquiles con chorizo, but if you're visiting it can be veggie) almost every weekend.

And you never came for brunch in the garden?