***Blog here***

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    does this happen to you? some ppl are so sensitive

Haha! "I was being a dick to my friend, and he totally took it the wrong way."

• No power for five hours yesterday because winds knocked down trees that knocked down power lines. Couldn???t use any appliances, so went out to eat and came back to a flooded basement. The sump pump didn???t have back-up power and all the water it should have been sucking out ended up on the floor. THANK GOODNESS nothing got ruined, though we???ll see what shape the carpet is in after it dries out. I can???t tell you enough how happy I am we invested in a steam cleaner vacuum ??? it sucked up so much of the water, it definitely put us ahead in the drying process. And THANK GOODNESS the sump pump deals with clean underground water and not crap drain/toilet water, you know?
    Was prepared to deal with this borderline disaster because had just ate the best huevos rancheros EVER and had the fuel in me to move boxes, vacuum, empty vacuum, vacuum, empty vacuum, mop, mop, mop and on.

I feel your pain.

Two years ago my wife and I were traveling for new years and got a call from our house sitter that our basement had two feet of standing water. That was not fun to deal with at all. Our basement is not finished, but the water was swear backup so it was really nasty. We had to clean it ourselves too, since a professional cleaning was way out of our price range.

• breadfruit tonight.

Am considering making my own sorrel

How do you have access to these very tropical fruits? And what are you planning to make?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I live in Toronto - many many grocery stores that carry these and more.

breadfruit in a soup, was going to boil per usual, but am going to roast it in the oven first and pour soup on top - fingers-crossed it will taste good. and typical sorrel drink that I am hoping will be not so typical lol

Two years ago my wife and I were traveling for new years and got a call from our house sitter that our basement had two feet of standing water. That was not fun to deal with at all. Our basement is not finished, but the water was swear backup so it was really nasty. We had to clean it ourselves too, since a professional cleaning was way out of our price range.

Cannot even imagine it. You guys are way stronger than I am. I don't know if I could do it - I would consider selling a kidney to not have to deal with it. I hope you didn't lose anything...?(other than your lunch)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Likening musical genres to the topographical features of the Earth is where it's at today.

Soul, jazz and funk are the Himalayas. Rock, punk and pop are the Swiss Alps.
    Brazilian music can be the Andes. African funk is Kilimanjaro of course.

Hip Hop is sea level, and Rap is the Dead Sea.

C&W is the Mariana Trench. Just above Techno.

Sayin'.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Guelph

I did some acid, and played a show there once. Also dropped my friend on his face trying to give him a boost to put a sticker up on a road sign. One of the dudes that we played with told us about crazy underground passageways left over from some kind of cultish priesthood.

My parents are in town so i'm staying with a friend in Bed Stuy. No A or C train service into Manhattan so I had to take a shuttle bus. On the up side though i got to help an older woman by carrying her wheelie basket full of cakes onto the bus, then off the bus, and down onto the train at Jay Street.

Ricard with ice and water is my drink of choice currently. Or beer.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Lady friend is back from LA today after two weeks. It's been quite the shitty two weeks, too, between quitting smoking (again), the holidays, and her absence. Can't wait to get home. I'm gonna hook up a lil' baby spinach salad with strawberries, vidalia onion, candied walnuts, goat cheese, and a warm balsamic/honey mustard vinaigrette, followed by some beef bourguignon I made the other night. Shit's ridiculous. It's all about the judicious use of cognac. I took tomorrow off too, so it's going to be a great night.

• i don't know if i'm hungover or starting to get a cold. and i think i gained a couple of pounds.

i guess i'm just not as awesome as I thought I was.

• i don't know if i'm hungover or starting to get a cold. and i think i gained a couple of pounds.

young p

• times new roman has the font game on lock down. there is no reasonable explanation since its no better or worse than any other font. conformity i guess.

the 12 point monopoly is also kind of arbitrary - but at least its a little more reasonable. there has to be some kind of compromise with putting a lot of words on paper, yet still being able to read them.

In New York Appellate Division its Courier New, which I think is a lot more fun.

young p

went back to bed, pop'd some tylenol, pelegrino and took a huge dump.

feel a lot better.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

went back to bed, pop'd some tylenol, pelegrino and took a huge dump.

KEEP ON BLOGGIN' IN A FREE WORLD!

young p

and took a huge dump.

Why you boys always gotta take it that one step too far!! haha.....

• went back to bed, pop'd some tylenol, pelegrino and took a huge dump.

KEEP ON BLOGGIN' IN A FREE WORLD!

That's good JLR right there.

So roasting the breadfruit in the oven is definitely the way to go...way better consistency and texture.
    I made a huge batch of that soup and cannot wait to eat more of it tonight for dinner. Hurrah for pigeon peas and kale!

I forgot the ABN at work - I put it in my bag when I came in to work this morning - duh.

How come so many great records have that one Beatles cover that keep it from being amazing from start to end?
    I'm looking at you John Holt.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    breadfruit

ABN

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    er....
    what has the Algemene Bank Nederland got to do with breadfruit?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    er....
    what has the Algemene Bank Nederland got to do with breadfruit?

-- Sorry, but it had to be done.

• I was just checking out some Sly Stone Youtube clips...it seemed like every third or fourth viewer comment just had to draw some connection to hip-hop (usually negative): "Sly's vocal breakdown proves that he was the first rapper," "oh, for the good old days before rap when black acts played instruments," "Sly's music was so much uplifting than this rap that's around today," etc..

• The city streets have been empty this past week, thanks to the colder-than-cold weather. Seems like when I go downtown, everybody appears to be with their parents from out of town.

• I bought a case of this lovely wine which is made by blind people and has a beautiful bottle with a braille label that I'm feeling!!

• I'm sitting here listening to the Chambers Brothers'Right Move LP, which is surprisingly solid considering that they were a little past their prime by then...well, maybe as far as fame goes, but musicially their hearts were in it! They were NOT sleepwalking through this one...album shoulda been bigger than it was, although "Stealin' Watermelons" was a cult fave and probably their #2 showstopper, after "Time Has Come Today"...

• I bought a case of this lovely wine which is made by blind people and has a beautiful bottle with a braille label that I'm feeling!!

What an interesting concept. Sadly I can't read the website (which is also nice), but I'd like to know more.

What an interesting concept. Sadly I can't read the website (which is also nice), but I'd like to know more.

Oh yeah the website is in Spanish...lo siento.
    But yeah apparently they use the ???sensory method??? in the development of their wines i.e. the blind have superpower higher sensory capabilities on the taste and olfactory front and are better able to obtain more favorable results than any technical apparatus presently available I suppose!

TASTY!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    a beautiful bottle with a braille label that I'm feeling!!

cool. After you've felt it let us know what it says.

Ok, that was lame. sorry.

Pickwick, I feel you on the downtown thing. I got a couple days off around xmas so I can't complain, but where is everyone? Shit is like a relative ghost town. Who are these people who have two whole weeks off?

Then I think "maybe they've all been laid off" and I begin to worry.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    breadfruit

ABN

dude serious so awesome

i'm at work but i don't really feel like getting shit done

• I ordered that Hitchcock edition Barbie that showed up in Daze's banana horror thread a few weeks ago. Had to, it was too perfect. And it arrived today. yay

I found out later that there is another doll of darling SF socialite Melanie Daniels getting attacked too.

Amazing

• a beautiful bottle with a braille label that I'm feeling!!

cool. After you've felt it let us know what it says.

Ok, that was lame. sorry.

not lame at all! i am happy someone caught my double entendre...!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    girlfriend and i are going here for new years eve: http://www.eluarestaurant.com/

someone tell me what sounds good on the menu, i never eat french food