***Blog here***

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My relatives from Germany sent me a bottle of this. I'm a fan. It's like Jagermeister with a touch of orange, Anybody here like?

• that vanglorious dump I took really didn't make me feel better...so now I got a cold again for the third time in three months.

and I need to make a remix for a killer mike project. *weez*sniff*

• I ordered that Hitchcock edition Barbie that showed up in Daze's banana horror thread a few weeks ago. Had to, it was too perfect. And it arrived today. yay

I found out later that there is another doll of darling SF socialite Melanie Daniels getting attacked too.

Amazing

Peep the 8:23 mark. It'd be funny to trip out bystanders with something like that!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    My relatives from Germany sent me a bottle of this. I'm a fan. It's like Jagermeister with a touch of orange, Anybody here like?

yes! Drink it with coffee after dinner.
    There's a wide range of Amaro's. In Italy every other town has their own version.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    girlfriend and i are going here for new years eve: http://www.eluarestaurant.com/

someone tell me what sounds good on the menu, i never eat french food

looks more Italian then French.

Have an Amaro with your coffee

• Pickwick, I feel you on the downtown thing. I got a couple days off around xmas so I can't complain, but where is everyone? Shit is like a relative ghost town. Who are these people who have two whole weeks off?

More like WHERE are these people who have two whole weeks off...usually in the no man's land between Xmas and New Year's, the city is jumping, as if it wants to make the most of the last days of the year. But it ain't happening now...the Chicago Sun-Times recently ran a news blurb about how people aren't shopping as much on the day after Xmas like they used to...no "Black Friday" this time.

Then I think "maybe they've all been laid off" and I begin to worry.

Unfortunately, that's going around like the Hong Kong flu...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    girlfriend and i are going here for new years eve: http://www.eluarestaurant.com/

someone tell me what sounds good on the menu, i never eat french food

looks more Italian then French.

Have an Amaro with your coffee
    I think one of the chefs has an Italian menu and the other has a French one.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    the Chicago Sun-Times recently ran a news blurb about how people aren't shopping as much on the day after Xmas like they used to

They might not be in the stores, but they're sure as shit on the sidewalks. My days have been beset more than usual by all these fucking rubes walking twelve abreast while they stroll the boulevard, take in the sights, and weigh whether or not to oh my god stop up here and take pictures of themselves by that Wicked poster...no, the one over there, by the Arby's (too cute!). I always end up boxed in behind like a hundred of these chumps, and by the time I get to the end of the block and things open up and I can get around them, I'm all raging and disoriented, like a rodeo bull when the gate gets raised. I'm surprised I haven't been hit by a car.

Three of the best beat drops of all time:

- "Stagger Lee" by Lloyd Price*

- "Somebody Else's Guy" by Jocelyn Brown

- "Fantastic Freaks At The Dixie" off of Wild Style

Hey, what does "A Kall Day" mean?

*Does anybody have an mp3 of the soft version of this? The one with "two men arguing" instead of "two men gambling"? (Dick Clark made Llerd tone down some of the lyrics for his appearance on American Bandstand, and the version was so popular that they re-recorded it--at least I think that's how it went). I seem to remember Lloyd and the band going a little harder on the cleaned-up version (oddly enough), but man, that thing is hard as f[i]uck to find. I had it on some cut-rate comp way back when, but haven't heard it in a dog's age.[/i]

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I'm listening to Neil Young's "Expecting to fly" from Sugar Mountain: Live from Canterbury.

F*ck DEVENDRA BANHART.

• the Chicago Sun-Times recently ran a news blurb about how people aren't shopping as much on the day after Xmas like they used to

They might not be in the stores, but they're sure as shit on the sidewalks. My days have been beset more than usual by all these fucking rubes walking twelve abreast while they stroll the boulevard, take in the sights, and weigh whether or not to oh my god stop up here and take pictures of themselves by that Wicked poster...

True. Even though the streets seemed slightly lifeless yesterday, I saw this exact phenomenon at the Water Tower where I went to pick up some new sneakers. The only difference between my story and James' is that, the folks I saw weren't just WALKING twelve abreast, they were STANDING twelve abreast...not off to the side, but right in the middle of the walkway, blocking the path..."wow, somebody told me there was a really good Gap store around here somewhere! Gee, wonder where it is!"

When I was in NOLA earlier this year (easily a 2008 highlight), I remember I could tell who was a tourist (like me) and who wasn't...the tourists were the ones who kept looking up or around instead of straight ahead. Here in Chicago, they're the ones who stop in the middle of the sidewalk while trying to decide between Arby's and McDonald's (go to Arby's and get the hell out of the way!).

*Does anybody have an mp3 of the soft version of (Lloyd Price's "Stagger Lee")? The one with "two men arguing" instead of "two men gambling"? (Dick Clark made Llerd tone down some of the lyrics for his appearance on American Bandstand, and the version was so popular that they re-recorded it--at least I think that's how it went). I seem to remember Lloyd and the band going a little harder on the cleaned-up version (oddly enough), but man, that thing is hard as f[i]uck to find. I had it on some cut-rate comp way back when, but haven't heard it in a dog's age.[/i]

Well, I have the 45 of it, maybe we can meet up at Salonica or someplace and work out something...my copy is a reissue on black label ABC, in their oldies series (not that yellow Goldies 45 label, but regular ABC with a logo of a treasure chest on the side). I don't remember it being harder than the regular version; band sounds about the same, and Stagger Lee is worried that Billy stole his girlfriend, so Billy gives her back. Or something equally lame. But nobody gets shot, like on the version we all know.

There's a wide range of Amaro's. In Italy every other town has their own version.

it's wild that's there some many different kinds. You don't see too much of it here. I have to keep my eyes open.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

ABN

lived up to the (SoulStrut) hype. kind of music that makes me wish I could drive. still, sounded rather nice from the comfort of my couch (NO SNUGGIES). the felines liked it too.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    First off, the Hitchcock & Birds dolls are awesome. Good finds.

Secondly, I am pretty much officially on my way to becoming a martini drinker (no mad men). I find that I can kill bourbon/scotch/whiskey drinks just a bit too quickly. Martini's, for the time being, are still something I sip slowly.

What's the soulstrut consensus on Vodka vs Gin martini's.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

True. Even though the streets seemed slightly lifeless yesterday, I saw this exact phenomenon at the Water Tower where I went to pick up some new sneakers.

My comment was based strictly on what I see out the bus window on my way to work. I don't get up near the mag mile or further up on State. I'm sure things are poppin' up that way. It seems like there are less people going to work right now. Or maybe they take a different route now.

At the risk of becoming a one-trick poaster, I have another fart-related story.

I'm at the bus stop waiting for a 4 on Michigan Ave, and I'm in the little shelter thing. I get the urge but I decided to see if I could hold out. There was a woman standing about 4 or 5 feet behind me. It started to get bad so I figured "I'll slip it out. We're outside, how bad could it be?" So I jettison the extra fuel pretty quietly. Mission Accomplished. Or so I thought. It started to waft right up to my nose. That shelter thing was keeping the wind out better than I thought it would. It was a bad one, too. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm usually around a 4, but this was easily a 7 or 8. I think I actually winced in disgust.

Anyway, about two or so minutes after the deed the lady standing behind me steps out of the shelter, hails a cab, and gets in it with the quickness. It had to be a coincidence, but considering the foulness of my flatus I'm having a hard time believing that.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    What's the soulstrut consensus on Vodka vs Gin martini's.

Sapphire with gorgonzola stuffed olives, or Sapphire Gibson.

Honorable mention to jalapeno stuffed olives.

tried it with my cappuccino. Better than I expected. The orange flavor became more pronounced.

• I've recently found a bunch of old cd's including some j5... I fell in love again.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ah f*ck it. We pulled the carpet out. I am scared to death of mold and it began to smell not right. Thankfully, the last folks did a good job with the cement floor, so it???s nice and even. It does grade down to the sump pump, as it should, so now it???s a matter of figuring out how to cover that. Ceramic tiles are the best way to go down there, but that decline to the pump...not sure how to cover that. Any flooring experts ??? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Just keep going back and forth between Rain and In My City on It Is What It Is ??? SO GOOD.

Had the most delicious lunch yesterday by Pacific Mall ??? pan-fried udon noodles with mock meat, steamed baby bok choy dumplings, chilli oil soup with noodles and peanuts (don???t like peanuts in my food at all, but this was right on) and spring rolls.

That Dan Hill song ???Sometimes When We Touch??? is unbelievably stupid.
    You want to break down and cry? Take it to MLP! You wanna hold her til you die? Get a grip. You???d like to break her and drive her to her knees? Now that's love!
    At times I understand you
    And I know how hard you've tried

Barf.
    It???s like the theme song for every dude who is like the Tim Robbins character in High Fidelity.

Why am I even at work today? I???m going to end up posting in every thread if this is any indication of my day.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

True. Even though the streets seemed slightly lifeless yesterday, I saw this exact phenomenon at the Water Tower where I went to pick up some new sneakers.

My comment was based strictly on what I see out the bus window on my way to work. I don't get up near the mag mile or further up on State. I'm sure things are poppin' up that way. It seems like there are less people going to work right now. Or maybe they take a different route now.

At the risk of becoming a one-trick poaster, I have another fart-related story.

I'm at the bus stop waiting for a 4 on Michigan Ave, and I'm in the little shelter thing. I get the urge but I decided to see if I could hold out. There was a woman standing about 4 or 5 feet behind me. It started to get bad so I figured "I'll slip it out. We're outside, how bad could it be?" So I jettison the extra fuel pretty quietly. Mission Accomplished. Or so I thought. It started to waft right up to my nose. That shelter thing was keeping the wind out better than I thought it would. It was a bad one, too. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm usually around a 4, but this was easily a 7 or 8. I think I actually winced in disgust.

Anyway, about two or so minutes after the deed the lady standing behind me steps out of the shelter, hails a cab, and gets in it with the quickness. It had to be a coincidence, but considering the foulness of my flatus I'm having a hard time believing that.

When it gets to that point, my big thing is to just head for the nearest restaurant or bar, fake like I actually want something to eat or drink, then after about two seconds bolt straight for the room that sez "MEN." I know some joints have a thing about people who use the restroom without buying anything, but after years of this, I think I have it down to a science...I figure as long as I don't make a straight beeline for the bathroom, then they won't care.

Of course, if you're waiting around the Cermak/Michigan area (former home of Chess), you may not have had any choice BUT to "go on the ground"...haven't been out that way in a minute, but there's not much out there, is there?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I just made blueberry pancakes and they came out teal green.

MAZ EFFIN CHAMBERS??? As in Brickjaw Chambers?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Right now I'm watching an episode of Saturday Night Live from 1979 (Richard Benjamin is hosting). Todd and Lisa - the two "nerd" characters - are hanging out at Todd's older brother's place. Todd is trying to put the moves on Lisa. There's a stack of albums behind them. Two of them are identifiable. One is a Chuck Mangione LP (which is part of Todd's seduction kit - it's mentioned in the dialogue).

The other album?

Soul Ain't No New Thing by Boobie Knight & the Soulceity.

Hey, it might not be on the same level as Boscoe's elpee, but it is something!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Moldy paper ie notebooks, books, accounting records left in the shed or garage too long remind me of water damaged LPs. That's what the smell makes me think of. Those LP covers get eaten up by that mildew. That old paper makes me sneeze, makes my eyes water and threatens to displace my contact lenses. In a sense, I am allergic to record jackets in poor condition.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Jack hammer outside my office is driving me f*cking nuts!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Last hours of vacation in South Florida before I head back to the bitter cold that is masquarading as New York City. I think I'm gonna ride to home depot to buy some plastic and twine so I can bundle up some old garbageified wood for my dad, maybe lay in the sun, and do some laundry. Just ate raspberries, strawberries, and toast with cheese. Broiling is great.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I'm carpenting and listening to Randy Carlos and Tito Rodriquez LPs, enjoying my new artisan lifestyle (building things and writing xml cms's). Need to get the tt setup going again.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I was informed I was getting a "substantial" raise last saturday.

I went to ask my boss(es) how much I would be expecting.

"Oh we didn't tell you? I thought we told you?" they said.

"Uh no, what is it?" I asked.

"It's 50 cents which will bring you to $11 an hour"....

REALLY?! WOW! THANKS!!!

I pretended to smile, and act OK. So I grabbed my things as it was the end of the night (my 11 hour shift with only a 15 minute break through out and no overtime--they "can't afford it").

"Your raise is effective immediately" one said as I walked down the stairs.

thanks

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Im thinking of just working at Starbucks...anyone every worked there?

Im certain it is much better than this dramatic sh*thole.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i just bought a 3 week ticket to barcelona. hoping to squeeze london, berlin, and paris into this trip and also meet some of you euro-strutters

• my cousin is getting married in Paris in September...my girl and I are going to start saving our pennies now. I love Paris, such a cool vibe (especially montemarte), food and wine are fantastic. Never been in the fall, only the summer and winter, expecting it to be lovely.

My ipod is effing with me...It's on the ropes. Not happy!