Modern Soul TTLAB Review is Salty Referential

CLabCLab 76 Posts
edited April 2018 in Record Collecting
"Don't Stop The Music 12" Yarbrough & PeoplesThis is some serious classic mix 4th of July weekend type shit right here. File it with your Rick James, Cameo, Imagination, and early Prince. This whole modern soul shit is completely fucking ridiculous with kids who have never heard D Train or the Gap Band buying up any record with a jheri curl on the cover and talking about what a ???great record this is to chill and drink lemonade to.??? Stupid ass record digger fag trends don't dictate what classics are though, and ???Don't Stop The Music(1)??? is one of those joints that always works when you got a room of people old enough to remember 1982 or kids who have been to enough parties to recognize. These are the songs that are gonna set shit off, so leave your Steve Parks and Karin Jones bullshit on your bathroom floor as an ejaculate receptacle and pack Yarbrough. ???Bob Bannister"i doff my hat to you, mr. donkeys.classique.
TAGGED:

Comments

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I agree dope track....
    Everyone can get buck to it

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Is it me, or is it a tad early to be hating on "this whole modern soul shit stupid ass record digger fag trend"? I mean I love sarcastic condescension as much as the next guy, but outside of SoulStrut's collective mind garden, are there REALLY that many people collecting this stuff that don't genuinely like/know about it?

- DJ "Modern soul digger fag trend-follower with DTrain & Gap Band records but no Yarbrough&Peoples, Steve Parks, or Karin Jones records" Marco

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is it me, or is it a tad early to be hating on "this whole modern soul shit stupid ass record digger fag trend"? I mean I love sarcastic condescension as much as the next guy, but outside of SoulStrut's collective mind garden, are there REALLY that many people collecting this stuff that don't genuinely like/know about it?

No, definitely not premature; it's been going on for a few years now.

Also, SoulStrut is hardly the epicenter of it; the board's self-appointed Modern Soul expert doesn't actually know anything about it.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    this is about to get funny(er)

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    you got a room of people old enough to remember 1982

Is rape donks old enough to remember 1982????????

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    In Philly, we just called them "classics" as in "We'll be spinning hip-hop, reggae and classics."

"Don't Stop The Music" is a classic straight up and down, but not really my favorite tune.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

I know people have been collecting modern soul worldwide for quite awhile, but my guess is that most of them DO like D-Train & The Gap Band.

I guess in NC I'm not tripping over hordes of clueless Tommy Digalots looking for Leprechaun 12"s every time I put my roller skates on*. Maybe the situation is different in New York. Or Tokyo. Or Helsinki.

*I say this knowing full well that I could very well BE that Tommy Digalot, mind.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

I know people have been collecting modern soul worldwide for quite awhile, but my guess is that most of them DO like D-Train & The Gap Band.

I guess in NC I'm not tripping over hordes of clueless Tommy Digalots looking for Leprechaun 12"s every time I put my roller skates on*. Maybe the situation is different in New York. Or Tokyo. Or Helsinki.

*I say this knowing full well that I could very well BE that Tommy Digalot, mind.
    Yeah I live in the sticks and havn't seen evidence of a trend! When I used to play stuff like this at college parties...Most kids were like "whats this put on some G-Unit"
    Wheres the evidence!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Is it me, or is it a tad early to be hating on "this whole modern soul shit stupid ass record digger fag trend"?

I think so... mostly because I'm jumping on the wagon right now

By definition of a trend, not everyone can be ahead of the game. So people can be all high and mighty and say they beat everyone to the genre, but it's not gonna stop me from buying records that I like now that I might not have considered a couple years ago.

DJ Ferrari

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Is it me, or is it a tad early to be hating on "this whole modern soul shit stupid ass record digger fag trend"?

not at all

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah I live in the sticks and havn't seen evidence of a trend!

Are any record collecting-related trends visible in "the sticks," though?

All I can tell you is that in places where such trends do manifest themselves, "Modern Soul" is--and has been--very much a trend.

All I can tell you is that in places where such trends do manifest themselves, "Modern Soul" is--and has been--very much a trend.

italdisco is making waves around here and that shit is horrible, moroder did good things the rest is total shit

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Bob Bannister killin' it part 2: check the David Banner "Play" review with the Real World Austin reference, and the "Sittin Sideways" review. I tip my hat to you sir. Fuckin' douchebag reviewer all day.

What's that Island 12" with the cover of "Don't Stop the Music?" Don't even remember the name, but I'm always reaching for that one at about 10:45.

• wow thanks guys you are so sweet.

I'd like to thank all members of the committee. I'd also like to thanks all SS family past and present. I came into this board a dumb newb and feel I have grown A LOT as both a collector and online community member.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

italdisco is making waves around here and that shit is horrible, moroder did good things the rest is total shit

Italo has been a trend and subsided a bit.

It has also been collected by heads for a LONG time.

There is also tons of great Italo, but you probably won't hear it or find it that often in the states.

Summing it up as a genre only successfully explored by Moroder is like being the dude in Bannister's review.

Come on, every genre has good music.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    wow thanks guys you are so sweet.

I'd like to thank all members of the committee. I'd also like to thanks all SS family past and present. I came into this board a dumb newb and feel I have grown A LOT as both a collector and online community member.

go on with this dick nibbling. if those are record reviews, i'm vitamin.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Give it up dude, peoples were trying to give you props. You just had to go and turn it into something else, didn't you?

Anyhow, I'll see you in a couple weeks. You can call me a fag to my face.

You still need that Seraph - Musical Messenger....was that you, dang?

Have a nice day!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Four things:

1. Marco, I lived just south of you for a while, and dudes were on very much some "Yo, I lost family members at Vicksburg--howzabout cutting me a deal on this here iPod?" SC isn't NC, but still--it does not surprise me at all that current trends are perhaps not in the greatest evidence down there, but that fact alone would not make me doubt that said trends exist elsewhere. I see what you're saying, just saying.

2. It's never too early to hate.

3. Robert Railing runs shit. The Phillip Morris of the capsule-review game, no doubt. Like, "Each of my write-ups is like a little picture of a diseased lung, but so fuckin' what? You and I both know that folks are still gonna smoke this shit up." I'm sure that anemic legions seethe in anger, but I'm also sure that they do so while hitting "Add To Cart." Haters need to go kiss a girl or something.

4. Wasn't there a NASCAR driver named Dick Nibble?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Four things:

1. Marco, I lived just south of you for a while, and dudes were on very much some "Yo, I lost family members at Vicksburg--howzabout cutting me a deal on this here iPod?" SC isn't NC, but still--it does not surprise me at all that current trends are perhaps not in the greatest evidence down there, but that fact alone would not make me doubt that said trends exist elsewhere. I see what you're saying, just saying.

3. Robert Railing runs shit. The Phillip Morris of the capsule-review game, no doubt. Like, "Each of my write-ups is like a little picture of a diseased lung, but so fuckin' what? You and I both know that folks are still gonna smoke this shit up." I'm sure that anemic legions seethe in anger, but I'm also sure that they do so while hitting "Add To Cart." Haters need to go kiss a girl or something.

James, I Love you!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Four things:

hilarious

Italo has been a trend and subsided a bit.

true

It has also been collected by heads for a LONG time.

i find most of the dudes down with this are not long time collectors and most likely have sold their belle & sebastion raers to buy this crap

There is also tons of great Italo, but you probably won't hear it or find it that often in the states.

Summing it up as a genre only successfully explored by Moroder is like being the dude in Bannister's review.

Come on, every genre has good music.

ok, i guess i just don't like the genre as a whole

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    What's that Island 12" with the cover of "Don't Stop the Music?" Don't even remember the name, but I'm always reaching for that one at about 10:45.

bits & pieces 12" don't stop the music

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I thought it was Dick Trickle? Completely different. But who am I to argue with someone from SC.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

Dick Trickle

• Give it up dude, people were giving you props.

I'll see you in a couple weeks, you can call me a fag to my face.

You still need that Seraph Musical Messenger....was that you?

Have a nice day!

nah dude that was me, but bape dunks is a registered faded glory representative and all of my trades (records, pharmaceuticals, &c.) are routed through his apartment

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

Anyhow, I'll see you in a couple weeks. You can call me a fag to my face.

He will, and you won't do shit.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    "Don't Stop The Music 12"
    Yarbrough & Peoples
    This is some serious classic mix 4th of July weekend type shit right here. File it with your Rick James, Cameo, Imagination, and early Prince. This whole modern soul shit is completely fucking ridiculous with kids who have never heard D Train or the Gap Band buying up any record with a jheri curl on the cover and talking about what a ???great record this is to chill and drink lemonade to.???[/b] Stupid ass record digger fag trends don't dictate what classics are though, and ???Don't Stop The Music(1)??? is one of those joints that always works when you got a room of people old enough to remember 1982 or kids who have been to enough parties to recognize. These are the songs that are gonna set shit off, so leave your Steve Parks and Karin Jones bullshit on your bathroom floor as an ejaculate receptacle and pack Yarbrough. ???Bob Bannister"

i doff my hat to you, mr. donkeys.

classique.

taken from a review I posted on 7/07/2005:

Beau Williams[/b] "S/T" (Capitol)
    Over the last 6 months or so I've really started focusing on the genre known as "Modern Soul" Finding the smoothed out grooves, and the feel good James my older sister used to bump and the obscure soul records that don't even seem to get the shine you think they wold from funk collectors. Beau Williams put out a wonderful Modern soul LP in '81 that covers the gamut of dancable soul to smoothed out R&B. This LP is really a solid listen from start to finish. best to be heard while drinking lemonade on an 80 degree day.[/b]

any relation?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Yarbrough & Peoples
    This is some serious classic mix 4th of July weekend type shit right here. File it with your Rick James, Cameo, Imagination, and early Prince. This whole modern soul shit is completely fucking ridiculous with kids who have never heard D Train or the Gap Band buying up any record with a jheri curl on the cover and talking about what a ???great record this is to chill and drink lemonade to.???[/b] Stupid ass record digger fag trends don't dictate what classics are though, and ???Don't Stop The Music(1)??? is one of those joints that always works when you got a room of people old enough to remember 1982 or kids who have been to enough parties to recognize. These are the songs that are gonna set shit off, so leave your Steve Parks and Karin Jones bullshit on your bathroom floor as an ejaculate receptacle and pack Yarbrough. ???Bob Bannister"

classique.

Over the last 6 months or so I've really started focusing on the genre known as "Modern Soul" Finding the smoothed out grooves, and the feel good James my older sister used to bump and the obscure soul records that don't even seem to get the shine you think they wold from funk collectors. Beau Williams put out a wonderful Modern soul LP in '81 that covers the gamut of dancable soul to smoothed out R&B. This LP is really a solid listen from start to finish. best to be heard while drinking lemonade on an 80 degree day.[/b]

any relation?

Hmmmm....

Not seeing it.
    As Cosmo might say "It's just your imagination".

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Yarbrough & Peoples

classique.

any relation?

yep,it seems some dudes really,envy you for your laid back Cali lifestyle.
    Chorus:
    West Coast beef must dead, no-ho-ho
    East Coast beef must dead, no-ho-ho
    Time for us to move ahead, no-ho-ho
    B-boy hip-hop is dead, no
    We must move ahead (x8)

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Dick Trickle

Cole Trickle: