Modern Soul TTLAB Review is Salty Referential

Comments

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    "Don't Stop The Music 12"
    Yarbrough & Peoples
    This is some serious classic mix 4th of July weekend type shit right here. File it with your Rick James, Cameo, Imagination, and early Prince. This whole modern soul shit is completely fucking ridiculous with kids who have never heard D Train or the Gap Band buying up any record with a jheri curl on the cover and talking about what a ???great record this is to chill and drink lemonade to.??? Stupid ass record digger fag trends don't dictate what classics are though, and ???Don't Stop The Music(1)??? is one of those joints that always works when you got a room of people old enough to remember 1982 or kids who have been to enough parties to recognize. These are the songs that are gonna set shit off, so leave your Steve Parks and Karin Jones bullshit on your bathroom floor as an ejaculate receptacle and pack Yarbrough. ???Bob Bannister"

i doff my hat to you, mr. donkeys.

classique.

an argument to stay ignorant and only play top 40?? real cool. sure 'don't stop the music' will set a club off, so will material girl by madonna asshole. especially in nyc.

stay out of tune and fuzzy---

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Tom I think ur missing the point.... the record is what it is but he's poking fun at the kids who are buying $300 modern soul without knowing the classics.

S***n made me laugh harder today than I have here in a while....

And any day James posts more than once is cause for celebration!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1121888074Aaron">

What's worse?[/b]
    The hipster
    The anti-hipster
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i believe its called the "anti-hipster-hipster"

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Tom I think ur missing the point.... the record is what it is but he's poking fun at the kids who are buying $300 modern soul without knowing the classics.

S***n made me laugh harder today than I have here in a while....

And any day James posts more than once is cause for celebration!

I kinda see it both ways.

BB was obviously poking fun at what you say (and it was funny, of course), but Lotus picked up on something else.

It seems that BB condones ignorance if it is placed on the right records. i.e. buying classics that you know nothing about versus buying obscurities and other crappy records that you don't know anything about. The first being ok because they set the party off, the latter being lame because they are only good for sippin to. Maybe I missed something, but that's the way I see it.

Sort of a contradiction there in my mind, but nothing worth making a stink about.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    buying obscurities and other crappy records that you don't know anything about.

No, what I think he's really condemning is spending large sums of money on "obscurities and other crappy records that you don't know anything about" when you also know nothing about the classics.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Dude should mind his own business and worry about what he spends his own money on.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    aaron. both are "worse" (the same) re: your poll

Dude should mind his own business and worry about what he spends his own money on.

TTLab is paying him to tell people what to spend their money on.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    classics are the shit. that i agree on, but no need to gun on people for playing rare. for me, there is nothing wrong with playing rare records. or buying them. the way that review was worded is a lil off course, calling records diggers fags for playing steve parks??? cmon. that shit IS a classic to many people. its all good, i'm sure dude knows his stuff and is cool. don't worry about me

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The whole discussion is funny. Some of us "old fogies" grew up on said genre.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    "Don't Stop The Music 12"
    Yarbrough & Peoples
    Is there an instrumental of this song on the 12"?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    For the most part. What's so aggravating about the anti-hipster is a need to provide this wallflower narrative to peoples' lives.

Worry about your own life, not mine.

buying obscurities and other crappy records that you don't know anything about.

No, what I think he's really condemning is spending large sums of money on "obscurities and other crappy records that you don't know anything about" when you also know nothing about the classics.

I don't see any reference to spending small or large sums of money. Only reference to diggers buying records they don't know about.

Also, I would bet that almost anyone who is into "modern soul" knows who Gap Band is, and probably D-Train too, he was just being elitist. That's his prerogative, but that's the way I see it.

I still laughed.

I don't really see a contradiction... most people are not Tom Noble, they can't drop modern soul rarities to great effect at a bar/lounge. Most kids who are buying 12"s to DJ with are gonna be a lot more successful dropping "Don't Stop The Music" than Karin Jones.

I also think that just 'cause something's top-40 or popular doesn't make it less good. For my money and time I'll usually bump a classic over an obscurity, but that's just one person's opinion.

Either way the review is made for people like Fatback to get all angry about, for people like Guzzo to wonder if he's being talked about, and for people like C-Lab to get a good chuckle out of. Not really worth bickering about.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

There are better ways to sell the image.

Either way the review is made for people like Fatback to get all angry about, for people like Guzzo to wonder if he's being talked about, and for people like C-Lab to get a good chuckle out of. Not really worth bickering about.

Yep, fair enough.

There are better ways to sell the image.

F**k, dude, Bannister's method seems to work pretty well.

For the most part. What's so aggravating about the anti-hipster is a need to provide this wallflower narrative to peoples' lives.

Was the whole point that dude is being paid to write reviews for records currently in stock on that website completely lost on you? Not like dude needs me to stick up for him but some of yall doth protest too much.

Store stocks a product--->product has potential buyers--->review exhorts buyers to buy product--->product sells--->reviewer gets used again for future products. Dude wouldn't be writing these if a) they didn't sell records and b) people didn't like them.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey,

The whole discussion is funny. Some of us "old fogies" grew up on said genre.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yup!

Was the whole point that dude is being paid to write reviews for records currently in stock on that website completely lost on you? Not like dude needs me to stick up for him but some of yall doth protest too much.

Store stocks a product--->product has potential buyers--->review exhorts buyers to buy product--->product sells--->reviewer gets used again for future products. Dude wouldn't be writing these if a) they didn't sell records and b) people didn't like them.

You mean the purpose of those reviews is not to reaffirm my taste and bolster my fragile self-esteem?

you guys ever try that minute maid lime-ade shit? that stuff is disgusting, wouldnt go good with anything let alone this "modern soul" thing you speak of.

oh yeah, and jonny, "doth protest to much"? who you is, lady macbeth?

TAKE THAT PILLOW FROM BEHIND YOUR HEAD AND PUT A BOOK IN IT

• This thread would have been a good time for Guzzo
    to use Archaic's line of thinking:

"yet another writer who needs my paypal address"

The use of which, however, would then imply that Guzzo
    would need Archaic's paypal address, for the proper distribution
    of royalties, as well as my paypal address for compensation
    concerning my arranger's credit.

Anyway, I played Yarborough & People's "You're My Song" back-to-back
    with Side Effect's "Private World" the other night at Danny's on
    LOVE BOAT night, and it was definitely good times.

Sometimes a well-arranged string section is just the paper umbrella
    that your boogie song needs.

you guys ever try that minute maid lime-ade shit? that

i love that drink. it goes good with Bread's second LP and some grey goose.

TAKE THAT PILLOW FROM BEHIND YOUR HEAD AND PUT A BOOK[/b] IN IT

how dare you curse at me! im the motherfucking shigspeare!

It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.

Anyway, I played Yarborough & People's "You're My Song" back-to-back
    with Side Effect's "Private World" the other night at Danny's on
    LOVE BOAT night, and it was definitely good times.

Sometimes a well-arranged string section is just the paper umbrella
    that your boogie song needs.

Your taste for well-arranged string sections is crushing my self-esteem.

This thread is comedy, though... and I think this is about the third time this little drama has played itself out on SoulStrut:

A: Yo, that dude bob bannister is killin' it over an TTLab!

B: I know! I'm really feelin' that dude!

C: Hey! Isn't bannister SoulStrut's own rape_donkeys?

A & B: Yo, f*ck that dude bannister!

I was under the delusion that writing about things other than how the record sounds were ancillary to the review. But I done been learned up again by these big city boys: It is the review. Thank you again.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

This thread would have been a good time for Guzzo
    to use Archaic's line of thinking:

"yet another writer who needs my paypal address"

the point of my question was to see if soulstruts saltiest writer was taking a potshot at me, not plagerizing. Anyways it don't really matter to me all that much, more curiousity than anything else I thnk Simon is a good guy and I don't take his posts/ reviews all that seriously anyways.

I've also never paid an obscene amount for a modern soul album without knowing some info on it. and I do still get a kick out of finding some .99 O'jays, Jermaine Jackson, or Gap band LP and enjoying the hell out of the music on it.

I played the music snob/ salty record store employee/ reviewer in the past. It's a cute role but not one for me to continue on with

as you were...

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

The reason a song is popular is usually because lots of people like it. I'm not a DJ, but if I was, I would take that as a cue. I'm tired of knowitall DJs trying to spin some shit I never heard. This isn't some college music appreciation seminar, it's a frickin club night. I'm trying to dance. So play some Madonna, play some Nu Shooz, play some George Michael. That Freedom song. I want to hear back to back Jamiroquai before I hear anymore of your Georgio Moroder or your whack ass Dipset. Jamiroquai all night. I wish there was a Jamiroquai night like every week. And Lionel Fuckin Ritchie too. And for the rap: No mid-nineties indie label lost classics until you play mo money mo problems and the Big Pun joint, little brown hairs everywhere. Keep your raer for your little smoke out parties with ya DJ friends and those chicks that follow you around.