Rev. Wright's Speech

Mad Drama TeacherMad Drama Teacher 1,985 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Did anyone watch this just now on CNN?

Comments

• Meanwhile, pretty-faced Soledad O'Brien's coverage comes up with such mind-bending analysis as, "This was not meant to be a serious speech."

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    wha thappened?
    what he say"

• And I must have heard "In fairness, we here at CNN have played the entire speech" a billion times.

We get it. You fucked up the first time. Stop patting yourselves on the back because, if you had done your job correctly the first time, we could hear Rev. Wright as a current and relevant man instead of the medical cadaver you've turned him into.

• wha thappened?
    what he say"

I imagine Youtube will pick it up soon.

• it's on cnn now.. i must have clicked on it the wrong time. He's babbling about people assume classical music is Mozart and a 4/4 beat. Then he said black people clap on a different rythm. He also said something about people from Boston speak funny.

I really think i need to see the beginning and end.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I assume this is the Detroit NAACP speech?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I assume this is the Detroit NAACP speech?

Yes.

Dude was killin it.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I thought he was really good on Bill Moyers Friday, although his comment that Obama "says what a politician has to say" seemed to play right into the soundbite-fed media's hands. He's right, but unless it was an offhand mistake, he's not doing Obama any favors.

CNN's got like 5 clips of people talking about the speech. Anyone got a link to the actual goods.

• watching the intro by w.anthony and he's on fire himself. . . i'm not a believer at all, but this guy is working it right.

• "...they tried to eliminate him on a friday and he came back on a sunday"

intro, and part one

• part II

• part III

• part IV

• i just realized dude broke down in recording this into like 1.5 minute sections and i dont want to post them all. .. .

his page is this http://www.youtube.com/user/SevenSeeeeeS

watch it all if you want. the speach is good.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Thoughts:

This is a speech that would probably play better in transcript than through video. It's easy to to get distracted by the man's...uh...histrionics eccentricities and miss his message. The first 2/3rds of the man's speech is rugged, and I could easily see someone writing him off as unhinged due to, among other sections, his moments of singing (those'll definitely have the Obama camp wincing). I also consider his adopted "science" to be extremely unconvincing; unfortunately, Dr. Wright bases the bulk of his message on some questionable and frankly arcane studies (at least as presented), and makes his point of "different, not difficient" by unnecessarily dividing the world into African-based and European-based camps. No one worthy of listening to would house the belief that African Americans are mentally difficient. They would do well to argue that Black children in America are poorly educated due to discriminatory practices, and that there is an unfair advantage handed out to privileged white students, however. Wright's left/right brained approach may well have some extremely general merit, but his application of the study in the thrust of his message actually places Blacks back into into their old racial troughs as "good as athletes and musicians and dancers but not as Western thinkers." Unfortunately for Dr. Wright's method of thinking, Barack Obama is a man that, although generally athletic (heh), is achieving an historic movement in America (look at the numbers) based on his "Western" skills of speaking across "European" and "African" cultures. The pudding-proof is indeed in the tasting.

Wright's speech (unfortunately not easily dismissed as a "sermon") ties in to some degree later on, and ends strongly, but this is not a high point for the Obama camp. The "we can do it" part really ties him in with Obama's "yes we can." This speech is, frankly, a mess. A trainwreck. The Moyers/PBS interview, which should have been shown on all networks nationwide, was coherent and measured. It fleshed out the man and made him more human than the spliced caricatures presented on YouTube. This speech, however, took back the man's portrayal as a fiery loon. The Moyers piece will unfortunately be lost between the twin maelstroms of "God Damn America" and this speech, which comes off as a huge "WHAT THE FUCK?" I'll bet that Obama staffers were busy filling up the FOX/NBC/ABC/CBS/CNN blogs with messages like

"I'm a 55-year old single, white, Christian mother of three that has never before voted Democratic. I was going to vote for John McCain, but the words of Reverend Wright tonight convinced me to vote for Barack Obama. Thank the Lord!"

Sheesh. Can we agree to keep religion and politics separate forever?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

no, never! i'll be riding this jesus horse [aka triceratops] all the way to the white house.

USA! USA! USA! USA!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    another nail in the democratic coffin.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

This is a speech that would probably play better in transcript than through video.

I just did a search and nothing is coming up...if someone has found a transcript - I would really appreciate a link.

Thank You.

This is a speech that would probably play better in transcript than through video.

I just did a search and nothing is coming up...if someone has found a transcript - I would really appreciate a link.

Thank You.

try searching with the other side of your brain.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I would love this.

But in the meantime, I'm kinda liking this Wright guy. Not that I agree with him on all this shit, but he's like wingnut catnip, and I find that amusing.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

But in the meantime, I'm kinda liking this Wright guy.

He was answering questions at a Press Event this morning and i thought he was 100% on point. The main issue here is that Wright is not a politician, but a preacher. He can afford to be controversial, a luxury Obama doesn't have. Moreover, I don't even find him to be all that controversial, especially considering his audience, and in the areas that he is (govt injected Black with HIV, US had 9-11 coming to it), i don't find his points to be that out of step with many left leaning Democrats.

At my synagogue, and probably every synagogue in the US, the Rabbis are predictably so pro-Israel that, after listening to a sermon, you would think the Palestinians were just this evil group of people and Israel's leadership can do no wrong. If Lieberman were running for President, i'm sure the press could find plenty of clips that made his Rabbi look equally as "divisive" as Wright...although it would probably be more acceptable because its not viewed as anti-American.

Furthermore, any religious leader who is consistently making his congregation ask questions is probably doing a good thing.

He was answering questions at a Press Event this morning and i thought he was 100% on point.

was he "genius" like the first harold and kumar movie?

• Reverend Wright Owns His Haters[/b]

"We just do things different and some of our haters can't get their heads around that!"

I love how with this series of YouTube poastings of the Wright speech we get the full homestyle couch commentary.

CLAP CLAP CLAP! "Ha-HAAA! Don't drink the juice!"

cross between harold and kumar and wrinkle-free dress shirts.

oh happy birthday.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

Reverend Wright Owns His Haters[/b]

"We just do things different and some of our haters can't get their heads around that!"

did he just claim ownership?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Reverend Wright Owns His Haters[/b]

did he just claim ownership?

His coefficient of swag just went way up.

i read this on huffington post and think it sums up the Wright non-issue pretty well:

" Suddenly the political terrain has shifted. It is no longer a matter of the Democratic candidate demonstrating the connection between religion, politics, and public policy. Now the real crux of the matter is finally exposed for all the nation to see: As Carter argued over a decade ago, there is only one form of religion that is acceptable within the public sphere -- namely, the religion of patriotism.

We are a believing nation. Study after study confirm that the U.S. is the most religious of all the industrialized nations of the world. The vast majority of Americans believe that the Bible is the authorized, if not necessarily the literal, word of God. Yet when it comes to the religious voice in the public sphere, what the widespread public condemnation of the Reverend Wright reveals is that we do not respect the autonomy of religion. We expect our religion to be palpable and to reinforce rather than challenge our self-image. There is no room for the prophetic voice that speaks the truth of righteous indignation to power. And so long as that is the case, it would be more accurate to say that really there is no room for religion at all."

the fact that you try to wish this away as a "non-issue" only underscores how blind you are going into the general election.

Please dont act surpirsed when your candidate (and I actually think Hillary is still going to pull this thing off, because the delegates know Obama is unelectable - they are just weighing wether loosing the election is worse than loosing the african american vote) gets trounced in November.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    (and I actually think Hillary is still going to pull this thing off, because the delegates know Obama is unelectable - they are just weighing wether loosing the election is worse than loosing the african american vote) gets trounced in November.

The delegates think Obama is unelectable and Hillary IS electable.....if that's true they are more out of touch than I ever imagined.

Hillary might pull it off with her "politics", but she won't be elected and very well may destroy the heart of Democratic Party while she's at it.