Rev. Wright's Speech

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    sorry, its a non-issue to intelligent people. i also disagree about Hillary getting the super delegates. any democrat could beat john mccain. as howard dean put it on Meet the Press, mccain is a "weak candidate" and the only reason the numbers are still close is because Dems haven't started going after him yet.

polls are unreliable this early, but the one thing we do know is that Americans want change. please explain how mccain fits into that mold.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    because the delegates know Obama is unelectable

huh? elaborate

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Dudes, this NYU-educated lawyer living in Greenwich Village is about as clueless as anyone when it comes to what the average American thinks. He's a wealthy neocon - not your average bread-and-butter Republican.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    because the delegates know Obama is unelectable

huh? elaborate

He's a black dude (and did you know that he's a stealth Muslim Manchurian candidate?) who goes to a church run by a Scary Black Man (which only proves that he's a stealth Muslim Manchurian candidate), he went to a madrassa (which only proves...yeah, that thing), and he's a total elitist commie who hates America and loves terrorists (probably because he's a stealth Muslim...oh, you get the idea).

This Wright shit is totally stupid and pretty much a non-starter, but do bear in mind that there is no organization on Earth that can fuck up an election like the Democratic party.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Dudes, this NYU-educated lawyer living in Greenwich Village is about as clueless as anyone when it comes to what the average American thinks. He's a wealthy neocon - not your average bread-and-butter Republican.

i go to brooklyn law and i live in little italy, but somehow Obama who went to Harvard does simply because one of his parents was black.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    CNN and the other side of my brain are now caught up - transcript

Brooklyn? Is that even America?? Little Italy? That exists?

Obama = Kansas and Chicago. You should know though, NYC is totally disconnected from the mainstream. At least, that's what those right wing blogs will pound into your head.

yes. i go to school in the hood[/b]. we have to fight each other with knives and zip-guns for the few As awarded in each class.

the groundwork is already being laid.

Dean told ABC's Barbara Walters on "Good Morning America" that "the only thing that can beat us is not being unified." "We want the voters to have their say -- that's over on June 3. And then the unpledged delegates really have got to make up their mind, Dean said.

As for whether Clinton should drop out if she loses Indiana: "That is not my call. . . . Either of these candidates,[/b] if it's time for them to go, they'll know it."

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Like a true republican, Saba helps us focus on the real issues affecting Americans: Rev Wright, and how much he hates America and its white people..

Its not my fualt, its your candidate's own poor judgment and failure to address the issue when he had the chance. I guess that historic speech that educated us all on race in america wasnt so great after all, since it appears he will need to take a second crack at it.

And I guess its all you stoopid democrat's fault for falling in love with someone you knew nothing about.

Yeah, now that the desperate media have kept this story alive, I see that that speech sucked! I'm deeply ashamed to have ever even thought I was inspired!

Clearly, the Dems should've gone with whichever insider candidate's been around the longest, like Kerry, Dole and McCain. Then Saba woulda totally been on board.

Shit, we better pick Hillary with the quickness....

poor political judgment does not equal poor judgment. i imagine that liberals are uniformly enthusiastic about Obama's decision not to denounce Wright. i think he has taken the high road on this and stooping down to please the ignorant is nagl.

what is "the issue"?

Yeah, now that the desperate media have kept this story alive, I see that that speech sucked! I'm deeply ashamed to have ever even thought I was inspired!

Clearly, the Dems should've gone with whichever insider candidate's been around the longest, like Kerry, Dole and McCain. Then Saba woulda totally been on board.

wait. the media has kept this alive? Are you sure it isnt the reverend's speaking tour that might have something to do with it? You know, the one where he's been saying that Obama says what he has to say to get elected.

poor political judgment does not equal poor judgment.

id ask you to explain, but i dont really care.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

wait. the media has kept this alive? Are you sure it isnt the reverend's speaking tour that might have something to do with it? You know, the one where he's been saying that Obama says what he has to say to get elected.

Saba's right with this one. It's becoming clear (to echo those in the media like Time's Joe Klein) that Wright is attempting to deliberately sink Obama's campaign - possibly because he believes that Obama didn't support him enough in his Philadelphia Speech. A gentle answer turns away wrath? Not Wright's style.

New joke:
    If Christians believe that homosexuality is an abomination under God, then why is Mr. Wright repeatedly f*cking Barack Obama in the ass?

Today, the NOI were Wright's bodyguards at his National Press event today. And don't even think of Googling "'ethnic bomb'+ Obama," which is destined to be the new hot-button issue. god help me, but this is easily the most important issue for Barack Obama right now. I'm thinking that the only way out is for Obama to sever ties with the Church - to make a Presidential Decision. He'd take it on the ear for sticking with the church for 20 years, but it'd be a clear division.

What does this actually have to do with Obama? Very f*cking little (Saba, you know this to be true, if you'll drop your white GOP sheets). But it's one more guilt-by-association dagger Obama will have to bear. Where's my Obama/Ali image when I need it?

Saba's right with this one. It's becoming clear (to echo those in the media like Time's Joe Klein) that Wright is attempting to deliberately sink Obama's campaign - possibly because he believes that Obama didn't support him enough in his Philadelphia Speech. A gentle answer turns away wrath? Not Wright's style.

New joke:
    If Christians believe that homosexuality is an abomination under God, then why is Mr. Wright repeatedly f*cking Barack Obama in the ass?

Today, the NOI were Wright's bodyguards at his National Press event today. And don't even think of Googling "'ethnic bomb'+ Obama," which is destined to be the new hot-button issue. god help me, but this is easily the most important issue for Barack Obama right now. I'm thinking that the only way out is for Obama to sever ties with the Church - to make a Presidential Decision. He'd take it on the ear for sticking with the church for 20 years, but it'd be a clear division.

What does this actually have to do with Obama? Very f*cking little (Saba, you know this to be true, if you'll drop your white GOP sheets). But it's one more guilt-by-association dagger Obama will have to bear. Where's my Obama/Ali image when I need it?

cant i just eat my waffle?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Sheets, dude. Birth of a Nation with this ^ guy. Who's the "elitist" now?

This is why I cannot take the GOP seriously anymore - they can't give you tongue because it's always too far implanted in their cheek. Am I right, ladies?

dont hate me because im concise.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I can and will honestly respect your personal position when you own up to one that lies outside of the abject stimulus-response pablum you regurgitate from the Red State or Neocon blogs.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    luck's posts in this thread are all kinds of wrong

also sabadabada's but everyone knew that

the idea that anyone but obama gets the dem nomination by this point, short of a total and catastrophic meltdown on obama's part, is absurd. there is absolutely no way in HELL that the democratic party can turn on 90%+ of the black voting bloc like that without profound, party-rending repercussions. that would be the end of the democratic party. You will not see hillary steal this election from him. it is just simply not going to happen (again barring deus ex machina)

i won't go as far as to say he has the presidency wrapped up, but i also wouldn't say that the way things stand now is a good indicator of the way things will stand when the dems figure out the inevitability of the obama nomination

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Saba's right with this one. It's becoming clear (to echo those in the media like Time's Joe Klein) that Wright is attempting to deliberately sink Obama's campaign - possibly because he believes that Obama didn't support him enough in his Philadelphia Speech.

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

hes standing up for himself and i applaud him for it. it might dent obama to have him brought up again, i won't deny, but the idea that he should be forced to cower in the face of the propaganda war on him + his church and the black church is just impossible and should be unacceptable.

agreed. if you watched him this morning, he was very careful to avoid using any language that might be seen as disparaging of Obama, even when given questions like - so why do you think Obama has denounced you, his pastor of 20 years (despite the fact that Obama has never denounced Wright)?

The furthest Wright has gone is to say that Obama has to behave "like a politician" when dealing with Wright's statements.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    the idea that anyone but obama gets the dem nomination by this point, short of a total and catastrophic meltdown on obama's part, is absurd. there is absolutely no way in HELL that the democratic party can turn on 90%+ of the black voting bloc like that without profound, party-rending repercussions. that would be the end of the democratic party. You will not see hillary steal this election from him. it is just simply not going to happen (again barring deus ex machina)

easy lil partner.

Clinton has defeated him in the big states, including California, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Obama won his home state of Illinois, but she won Florida, where both were on the ballot but didn???t campaign.

Furthermore, if you add up the votes in all the primaries and caucuses ??? excluding Michigan (where only Hillary was on the ballot), and imputing the likely actual totals in the four caucus states, where only percentages were reported ??? Clinton now trails in overall votes by only about 300,000, or about 1 percent of the total. By the end of the nominating contest, she may well be ahead on this benchmark ??? one not entirely to be scorned in a democracy.

*(today's Kristol column in the Times. he's a douche but you can't argue with these points; they're mere observations).

just saying. it's not quite as clear a picture as you paint.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

I can and will honestly respect your personal position when you own up to one that lies outside of the abject stimulus-response pablum you regurgitate from the Red State or Neocon blogs.

super

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

easy lil partner.

Clinton has defeated him in the big states, including California, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Obama won his home state of Illinois, but she won Florida, where both were on the ballot but didn???t campaign.

Furthermore, if you add up the votes in all the primaries and caucuses ??? excluding Michigan (where only Hillary was on the ballot), and imputing the likely actual totals in the four caucus states, where only percentages were reported ??? Clinton now trails in overall votes by only about 300,000, or about 1 percent of the total. By the end of the nominating contest, she may well be ahead on this benchmark ??? one not entirely to be scorned in a democracy.

*(today's Kristol column in the Times. he's a douche but you can't argue with these points; they're mere observations).

Tut tut. Kristol cannot be taken seriously when he appears to be free-basing the Clinton RSS feed via USB 3.0 (not even invented yet!)

A succinct rebuttal to HillRodhClin's spin. Keep in mind: MI and FL have ZERO chance of being seated by legitimate primaries (as declared almost 3 to 4 months ago by each state's Democratic party). My best guess is that Dean would split the delegates right down the middle if they are to be seated at all.

Another point of contention: Obama actually won 5 or 6 more delegates in Texas than Hillary (meaning that, well, that he won Texas due to the odd "two-step" system they have there). The "big states" argument is foolishness. Question: will CA and NY actually vote Red this year with Obama over Hillary and Bill? Answer: no effing way. PA and OH are at least debatable. Obama is doing better than her in the traditionally red states that he might have a shot to steal. Granted, Obama's string of 12 primaries/caucuses in a row seems years ago right now.

LOL AT QUOTING BILL Frickin' KRISTOL

LOL AT QUOTING BILL Frickin' KRISTOL

^^^ *sigh* I knew I would get a few of these from the less imaginative strutters; such an easy remark to make, and so devoid of substance ^^^

what can I say; I read the NY Times Op-Ed pages; even the douchebags. It was the first succinct primary tally I could think of to balance out deej's breathless doomsday predictions about the Dem party "stealing" elections.

if Rush Limbaugh said Hillary won CA would that make it less true? dude is simply lsiting the results of these primaries.

now what part of the Kristol quote do you dispute exactly? the part where he lists the primaries Hillary has won, or the part where he suggests that the popular vote should matter in a US election?

Rootless, I'm starting to think you're NOT joking about all this.

if Rush Limbaugh said Hillary won CA would that make it less true? dude is simply lsiting the results of these primaries.

now what part of the Kristol quote do you dispute exactly?

The part where he suggests that Obama can't or won't win these same states.

McCain won CA too, maybe the Democrats should nominate him....

That said, I do feel an impending sense of doom that they are going to find a way to give it to her, alienating the entire left wing of the party, as well as young and first time voters, and black voters.

I don't see how alienating these groups, and helping the right wing coalesce around their shared hatred of the Clintons (while forgetting their shared hatred of McCain), doesn't result in President McCain.....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    now what part of the Kristol quote do you dispute exactly? the part where he lists the primaries Hillary has won, or the part where he suggests that the popular vote should matter in a US election?

Read my post. Read my link.

Also, this. My source is 5 days old, but the stats are still valid, as it's post-PA.

Additionally: even if Hillary wins IN by 7-10% (not likely to happen) it'll just be running out the string. Obama's still polling at +12.3 in NC according to RCP, and Hillary's not even pulling 38%. That's a killer, as Obama stands to make up most of the delegates lost in PA.

The current superdelegates are about +20 to Hillary, and have been decidedly in Obama's favor over the last 2.5-3 months.

I'll agree that the Democratic Primary needs a serious rehaul. I, for one, am in favor of moving up the primary date by 3 or 4 months or pushing back the initial primaries by the same margin (the latter being possibly the best solution). I would not be opposed to a standardized primary system and nixing the caucus tradition. The "superdelegates" - only instituted in 1976, if I recall correctly - only serve to foster suspicion among Democratic-minded votes. Either way, most Americans, devoid of party politics, should have already come to the conclusion that the Democrats are seriously at risk if this goes to a split Convention.

^^^ LOL ^^^

bad analogy; the truth is the E. Conference finals this year are a perfect example of why we DO [/b] need to place these wins in context!