Rev. Wright's Speech

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    if listened to my rabbi, i'd be going door to door soliciting money to plant trees for Israel.

I actually do this, but not because some rabbi told me to.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Nobody believes that he agrees with Wright on this stuff.

Wright obviously does. And, we must ask the question, if obama disagrees with wright so vehmently over so many many issues why was he in the pews listening to him for two decades?

@dj GAY: His own pastor called obamam a liar you real world circa 1994 type mufucka. He insisted that obama's repudiation of him was just 'politics' aka a show to passify the rubes shuch as you. PEEP GAME

No one cares. Sorry. America is superficial.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Nobody believes that he agrees with Wright on this stuff.

Wright obviously does. And, we must ask the question, if obama disagrees with wright so vehmently over so many many issues why was he in the pews listening to him for two decades?

@dj GAY: His own pastor called obamam a liar you real world circa 1994 type mufucka. He insisted that obama's repudiation of him was just 'politics' aka a show to passify the rubes shuch as you. PEEP GAME

No one cares. Sorry. America is superficial.

except for you .... and obama.

• wow, obama jsut denounced him!

• wow, obama jsut denounced him!

Obama just threw his pastor and friend of 20 years under the bus. SHAMEFUL!

Obama said, "I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday."

OUTRAGED I TELLS YA!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Good for him. His pastor clearly thought a) that Obama had somehow been ungrateful or disrespectful when it was clear that Obama was trying his best NOT to throw Wright under the bus wholesale... and b) that this was his 15 minutes of fame.

I'm sure he was sincere but he was also doing his very best to impact Obama's run, and I'm not sure why (without getting into dangerous "crabs in the bucket" psychology, I'm not prepared to speculate into why he would pop up with this shit now).

Obama had to do this and I'm sure Michelle told him the same.

He can have juice in Chicago or he can be President. Glad he made the (w)right decision.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    wow, obama jsut denounced him!

actually whats shameful is that due to amerikkkas constant state of fear this is some shit he even has to deal with.

maybe wright should have just came out of the closet & said he like boys & crack, then it wouldnt be an issue.

Or maybe he should have kept his mouth shut and this would have faded away.

If there was any throwing under the bus it was Wright who was doing it.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Is there anywhere online that I can see the video of Obama's response?

saying.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "crabs in the bucket" psychology

It's "barrel", but you are absolutely right about that.

so like which comments is Obama supposedly outraged by?

from where I stand Wright's Press Club remarks are the least objectionable of any of the soundbites I've heard of his.

Which of these remarks "outraged" Obama?:

"I served six years in the military," Obama's longtime pastor said. "Does that make me patriotic? How many years did (Vice President Dick) Cheney serve?"

He said his Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago has a long history of liberating the oppressed by feeding the hungry, supporting recovery for the addicted and helping senior citizens in need. He said congregants have fought in the military, including in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"My goddaughter's unit just arrived in Iraq this week while those who call me unpatriotic have used their positions of privilege to avoid military service while sending over 4,000 American boys and girls to die over a lie," he said.

Wright said he hopes the controversy will have a positive outcome and spark an honest dialogue about race in America. Wright says black church traditions are still "invisible" to many Americans, as they have been throughout the country's history.

"Whether he gets elected or not, I'm still going to have to be answerable to God on November 5 and January 21," Wright said.

I don't see anything remotely objectionable about these remarks (with the possible exception of the 4,000-dead-for-a-lie remark, but hey the truth hurts and plus lots of Dems have alleged that the war was fought on a falsehood).

regional crab-catching techniques revealed?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wow, obama jsut denounced him!

lets all imagine the alternate universe for a moment where ...

wow, obama jsut refused to denounce him!

Obama refuses to distance himself from his evil pastor. SHAMEFUL!

oh, and can we all stop saying this:

throw under the bus

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    As Wright would say, this is Obama doing what he has to do as "a politician".

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    oh, and can we all stop saying this:

throw under the bus

Stop trying to throw "throw under the bus" under the bus, you bus thrower-underer.

Well, for whatever it's worth I think Obama is legitimately outraged and understands very clearly that Wright is really threatening his campaign.

The only logical explanation (other than being mad at Obama for distancing himself) for Wright's actions is that maybe he's giving Obama some cover to distance himself further and more categorically.

"crabs in the bucket" psychology

It's "barrel", but you are absolutely right about that.

The crabs are also behind BS like "acting white", etc.....these crabs don't want equality, they thrive on racial inequality and even take actions to insure it.

It seems a little desperate. When Wright's real incendiary stuff came out Obama refused to denounce any of it in specific terms, saying "some" of his remarks were objectionable.

And now he's "outraged" over these comparatively mild (actually totally innocuous) Press Club remarks?

This would mean lying just as Saba suggested he is guilty of.....I give Obama more credit than that.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

In all fairness, Rev. Wright was being quiet and even retired while his almost 40 years of ministry and his congregation was being shit on daily....Should he have sat back and allowed all this to continue for the sake of Obama ?

the sack of Obama

^^^ location up for grabs for the Obama riders ^^^

so what happened to persuade him to go on a national tour promoting his alliance with farrakhan and implying that Obama's disingenous??

It just seems pretty see-through. Obama offered to help him "manage his message" and he refused. Wright wants to take his 15 minutes of fame and shine, regardless of Obama or anyone else.

I don't disagree with much he's said (including Farrakhan, rootless) but this appears kind of see-through and it stinks to me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

In all fairness, Rev. Wright was being quiet and even retired while his almost 40 years of ministry and his congregation was being shit on daily....Should he have sat back and allowed all this to continue for the sack of Obama ?
    thats what im saying

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    the sack of Obama

^^^ location up for grabs for the Obama riders ^^^

This would mean lying just as Saba suggested he is guilty of.....I give Obama more credit than that.

no it's not lying. it's playing politics to save his ass. like I say when Wright really said some objectionable isht Obama just brushed it off. now he realizes he has to denounce Wright for real, so he picks this latest opportunity to express "outrage" when in reality Wright's previous remarks were far more "outrageous" than his Press Club remarks. Obama's saying what he now realizes he should have said all along for the sake of his campaign.

I don't blame Wright. he had a right to defend his words.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Will this denouncing not hurt him, too? Will he not appear to be someone who is not loyal, who goes back on his word to save his skin (and so it would follow that he will say anything) and doesn't really stand for anything? Folks may not agree with Wright, but the isn't the principle of not turning his back on his friend/pastor say more about Obama?

I ask because we saw something like this in Ontario. During the most recent elections, a candiate took a controversial stand and got skewered for it. He then changed his stance and according to almost everyone, that is really what cost him the Premier's office.

I don't disagree with much he's said (including Farrakhan, rootless)

oooooooo a stinging rebuke to rootless as Jonny reveals his brave support of a racist.