Rev. Wright's Speech

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm through arguing with the Dilbert of Hip Hop.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I don't come to Soulstrut to save my child from being poisoned, asshole.

And how I raise my child is none of you gotdamned business.

You need to quit trying to take it there.

WHAT A GUY! WHAT A COMPLETE DICKHEAD!

ha, u insert your personal stories and personal life into every thread, from politics to the nba, but now your talkin' about its "none of your gotdmamned business". thats like a girl with double Ds walking around in a see-through bra yelling at dudes to stop staring at her tits.

Maybe I've mentioned that I have a daughter on here. But I don't speak about her on here and how I rasie her certainly isn't up for debate.

You would think another parent would know not to cross that line. But Rock crosses any line he has to in order to protect himself from ever having to deal with any reality that he didn't pick up circa 1966.

But yeah, when it's more accepted that microwaves do indeed cause cancer. Are we then instead of coming down on microwave manufacturers/marketers going to demonize parents for heating up their kids foods in microwaves?

Is any parent who has ever let their kid drink tap water or use flouridated toothpaste facilitating the poisoning of their children? Forget that putting pure posion like flouride in water is done by government, it's the parents fault for letting their kids drink from the faucet.

This is the same type of thinking that has made this country the most incarcerated EVER. You don't ever think of really blaming the Iran-Contra bigwhigs for funneling drugs and guns into the community. Just make sure to arrest anyone who ever uses those drugs and guns...forever. That way, the bigwhigs never have to stop the evil they are doing and we can all get good jobs as prison guards.

HOORAY!

Look dude, you come here and decry how "stringent" my world view is because I won't buy in to the crackpot theories you post here and I call bullshit on them.

If I TRULY believed that Microwaves caused harm to my children and continued to put them at risk, yes, I'd be an idiot.

So you accuse the Government of poisoning us, you apparently truly believe it, yet you don't take measures to protect your kids.....that makes you an idiot.

Actually, a hypocritical idiot.

End of story......until you respond to me again.

Okay, chief...you tell me a practical way of protecting someone from our atmosphere.

A little mask you wera when you go outside isn't going to help.

You mentioned a respirator...like a big machine respirator?

Never drinking natural water might help (as heavy metal pollutants damned sure infiltrate our water sources)...but then you are dead.

There are some herbal remedies that are supposed to help...and a variation is indeed used at my house.

So what else, dickhead?

This has been your big point for like months now on this topic. And I'm finally entertaining your pissant position.

So come with it...

• billary and them kickin' dude some payola on some 'ol sabotage...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

ha, u insert your personal stories and personal life into every thread, from politics to the nba, but now your talkin' about its "none of your gotdmamned business". thats like a girl with double Ds walking around in a see-through bra yelling at dudes to stop staring at her tits.

Maybe I've mentioned that I have a daughter on here. But I don't speak about her on here and how I rasie her certainly isn't up for debate.

You would think another parent would know not to cross that line. But Rock crosses any line he has to in order to protect himself from ever having to deal with any reality that he didn't pick up circa 1966.

But yeah, when it's more accepted that microwaves do indeed cause cancer. Are we then instead of coming down on microwave manufacturers/marketers going to demonize parents for heating up their kids foods in microwaves?

Is any parent who has ever let their kid drink tap water or use flouridated toothpaste facilitating the poisoning of their children? Forget that putting pure posion like flouride in water is done by government, it's the parents fault for letting their kids drink from the faucet.

This is the same type of thinking that has made this country the most incarcerated EVER. You don't ever think of really blaming the Iran-Contra bigwhigs for funneling drugs and guns into the community. Just make sure to arrest anyone who ever uses those drugs and guns...forever. That way, the bigwhigs never have to stop the evil they are doing and we can all get good jobs as prison guards.

HOORAY!

Look dude, you come here and decry how "stringent" my world view is because I won't buy in to the crackpot theories you post here and I call bullshit on them.

If I TRULY believed that Microwaves caused harm to my children and continued to put them at risk, yes, I'd be an idiot.

So you accuse the Government of poisoning us, you apparently truly believe it, yet you don't take measures to protect your kids.....that makes you an idiot.

Okay, chief...you tell me a practical way of protecting someone from our atmosphere.

Never drinking natural water might help (as heavy metal pollutants damned sure infiltrate our water sources)...but then you are dead.

There are some herbal remedies that are supposed to help...and a variation is indeed used at my house.

So what else, dickhead?

This has been your big point for like months now on this topic. And I'm finally entertaining your pissant position.

So come with it...

You just don't get it....if there was something to be protected from, I'd have an answer......but it's bullshit.

Seriously, I have no desire to exchange words with you from here on out...if you need to have the last word, go for it, but I won't respond to or about you again and I'd assume you want to do the same. Take your last shot and let's be done with it....neither of us are going to convince the other of anything.

Done.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

HOORAY!

So what else, dickhead?

So come with it...

You just don't get it....if there was something to be protected from, I'd have an answer......but it's bullshit.

Seriously, I have no desire to exchange words with you from here on out...if you need to have the last word, go for it, but I won't respond to or about you again and I'd assume you want to do the same. Take your last shot and let's be done with it....neither of us are going to convince the other of anything.

Done.

WHAT A WEAK ASS COP OUT.

You can make assumptions when speculating and throwing out accusations on how I deal with my own child, but when you are asked to clarify your idiotic position on how you yourself would deal with such a problem...you suddenly can't make assumptions any longer.

But whatever...if you are truly going to steer clear of me, then I welcome it.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    still his Press Club remarks were totally unobjectionable, and Obama nonetheless chose this opportunity to denounce him. that's politics. good old fashioned Clinton-style politics.

DEEP IRONY!!

For real, I read through 80 posts of Harvey (and Saba and Dolo) going in circles, but dissing Obama for being like Clinton is the bee's knees. Also "Obama's Sack". Nearly makes up for the wasted 10 minutes...

• BEAT A DEAD HORSE LIKE I BEAT MY DICK!

• What really bums me out is seeing comments on news sites (why oh why do I read them?), most of which say, "Oh, so you weren't offended by Wright when he said that we deserved to get attacked, but THIS offends you? Hillary or nobody!"

I can only hope against hope that these views are not reflective of the majority of voters.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    What really bums me out is seeing comments on news sites (why oh why do I read them?), most of which say, "Oh, so you weren't offended by Wright when he said that we deserved to get attacked, but THIS offends you? Hillary or nobody!"

I can only hope against hope that these views are not reflective of the majority of voters.

well, the comment you cite can be taken in a number of ways. I think there's a reaction (in this very thread in fact) that Obama's move is somewhat disengenuous given that he was not overly excised over the 9/11 remarks and now all of a sudden is "outraged."

not that Wright's recent utterances were better or worse than his past ones, but that Obama is being inconsistent in his reactions to them (read: now realizes for campaign reasons that he needs to denounce Wright).

is it not odd that he was relatively mum early on and now decides to "toss his man under the minivan" on account of some remarks that were no worse than the original statements?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hillary would never do something like this

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

is it not odd that he was relatively mum early on and now decides to "toss his man under the minivan" on account of some remarks that were no worse than the original statements?

very true, but i think dems just see his press conference as a necessary evil - a public charade for all the idiot potential dem voters who might be swayed by the wright non-issue.

idiot potential dem voters

you sound elitist.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

This looks like success to me.

I fully agree!

Hillary would never do something like this

ohhhh the irony: you guys love telling me how un-Hillary-like Obama is. then he does this, and all you can muster (albeit sarcastically) is "well, Hillary would do the same thing!"

quite right. when the going gets tough Obama has proven himself very Hillary-like.

idiot potential dem voters

you sound elitist.

well you think the superdelegates should overrule the elected delegates, so i guess we both are

You're parsing is wild dude. I know you'll probably just duck, like every other time I ask something substantive, but to try and pull Obama's card on this after some of Hillary's positioning is next level. At least half of her attacks on him have been totally baseless and disingenuous, but this is what you want to focus on.

For real though, he said that some of Wrights statements he disturbed him deeply, but didnt feel he could reject the man. Now Wrights's reiterated them and brought this whole issue back to the fore, including making additional comments about Farrakhan, so he's going further. I ask you, whats the problem, and is this really an important issue for Democrats, or the country at large.

Not trying to go at you homey, but the only other person I know still supporting Hillary is my grandma, and I don't wanna debate with her. She's 90 in 2 weeks!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    the only other person I know still supporting Hillary is my grandma

cosign

b/w

ROOTLESSCOSMO'S MAD GRANDMA MOVES REVEALED

For real though, he said that some of Wrights statements he disturbed him deeply, but didnt feel he could reject the man. Now Wrights's reiterated them and brought this whole issue back to the fore, including making additional comments about Farrakhan, so he's going further.

PLEASE....

Don't try to say that there is a difference because your starting point assumes that for 20 years Obama never heard Wright make similar "controversial" statements, and then once you get past that, you go nowhere, because all Wright has done is try to explain what was said in the sound bites.

Obama's doing what he's gotta do, lets just leave it at that.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    including making additional comments about Farrakhan, so he's going further.

Oh God....Not this again

You're parsing is wild dude. I know you'll probably just duck, like every other time I ask something substantive,

I never duck you holmes.

but to try and pull Obama's card on this after some of Hillary's positioning is next level.

I was simply reacting to Jonny's laughable defense of this Obama move. I just think it was rich how Jonny came with the Hillary comparison, talmbout this is no worse than a Hillary move. isn't the whole point that Obama is like the un-Hillary? pretty weak defense of his actions is all.

At least half of her attacks on him have been totally baseless and disingenuous, but this is what you want to focus on.

matter of opinion b/w this debate has played out on the strut already. fine; agree to disagree.

For real though, he said that some of Wrights statements he disturbed him deeply, but didnt feel he could reject the man. Now Wrights's reiterated them and brought this whole issue back to the fore, including making additional comments about Farrakhan, so he's going further. I ask you, whats the problem, and is this really an important issue for Democrats, or the country at large.

shit man this episode has not affected my own opinions of Obama one bit. my point was not an original one: some Dems themselves are saying this is political; Obama was hoping the Wright thing would go away; it didn't; Wright is refusing to manage the message so Obama had to ditch him.

I've been quite clear in this thread on this: I don't blame Obama for denouncing Wright this time, and nor do I blame Wright for doing Wright. Obama messed up by not getting out in front of this in the first place; Wright was an obvious liability from the jump of the campaign.

the fact of the matter is Wrights recent remarks are no more offensive than the earlier stuff; the only difference is that it's later in the campaign and comes on the heels of a Hillary vicotry in Penn (read: stakes are higher) and Wright does not look like he's gonna shut up anytime soon for the sake of the campaign. but for Obama to feign "outrage" is, well, sorta BS. Obama knew what Wright was about; nothing he said at the Press Club shocked him; but clearly Obama's handlers said "enough-is-enough-you-gotta-ditch-him-now-or-never" so he did.

Not trying to go at you homey, but the only other person I know still supporting Hillary is my grandma, and I don't wanna debate with her. She's 90 in 2 weeks!

you don't have to debate me man. happy born day to your grandma.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i hate to say it, but me thinks the damage is done. might be unspinnable
    obama was flying high when he was not cloaked in "race"
    this was the candidate who transcended race and prejudice
    even whites came out to vote for him and gave him a tidal wave of momentum in the early primaries.

but now this rev wright thing injects race into the equation. the pinprick that pops the balloon. it doesnt matter at this point who repudiates what or who explains what. obama put himself out there as above race and now here he is having to convince people that his pastor mentor and friend isnt an angry black man with reparations on his shoulder (i.e. white america's worst nightmare).

there is no denying their intimate 20 year association and that flies in the face of his campaign image. no getting the white vote back now. indiana will be the real test of where he stands.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Them bus-thrower-underers aint the bust
    Throwin them friends under them bus

Throwin them pastors
    Throwin them grannies

Come September
    watch old McCain
    Throw them lobbyists
    under a train

Wanna be a bus-thrower-underer?
    Find yourself a bus, throw someone under

Dan

With apologies to Mason Williams

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I said when this "scandal" first broke that it had the potential to derail Obama's campaign. Personally I don't think it SHOULD, but if you don't see how big this is or potentially will be you've got your head up your ass.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Press Conference:

I wasnt clear in my post, I think thats the Obama spin on this, and I do see this as backtracking to a degree. Rootless you're right, he shoulda gotten out ahead of this but 20 years is what it is; is it a deal breaker for you, or should it be for the campaign?

My thing is that I agree with KVH that this whole thing really should basically be a non-issue, but clearly it reached a critical mass, especially with Wright out there stirring the pot. It was time to cut him loose, and while I think Obama's original response was a measured way to distance himself from a close friend he greatly respects but disagrees with, at this point Wright's clearly not doing him any favors, and Obama made a political decision. Again he's a politician, and they forced his hand.

I still think Hillary somehow overturning the delegate count is a completely ridiculous notion, so the issue is closed to me. I never thought dude's shit doesnt stink, and he's tried hard to do it differently, but he's sticking and moving when he has too. I give Obama the benefit of the doubt because regardless of where the technical finish line is, he won the primaries, and its time to go at McCain....

is it a deal breaker for you, or should it be for the campaign?

no not at all.

but nor is it a "non-issue." it's totally fair to look at the kind of people ANY candidate has chosen to surround him/herself with over the years.

I said when this "scandal" first broke that it had the potential to derail Obama's campaign. Personally I don't think it SHOULD, but if you don't see how big this is or potentially will be you've got your head up your ass.

no not at all.

but nor is it a "non-issue." it's totally fair to look at the kind of people ANY candidate has chosen to surround him/herself with over the years.

if we did this, most republicans would go down in flames.
    at least in the eyes of democrats

no not at all.

if we did this, most republicans would go down in flames.
    at least in the eyes of democrats

hey all I said was "look at."

bigO said what he needed to say, but the speech could have been tighter.
    this sit has him a little off balance.