Rev. Wright's Speech

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    rootless: wtf does that kristol quote have to do w/ the fact that while hillz may win working class whites w/ some decent margins, its nowhere near the margin of one of the democrats' most significant demographics - the black vote? do you see any way that a bunch of dems could actually see themselves, at this point, totally spurning 90%+ of the black vote in this election? its NOT GONNA HAPPEN, esp. not for a bunch of flakey catholics who voted for reagan and bush

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the fact is the only reason the dem contest is still in 'question' is because its a ratings earner for television networks

• the fact is the only reason the dem contest is still in 'question' is because its a ratings earner for television networks

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    rootless: wtf does that kristol quote have to do w/ the fact that while hillz may win working class whites w/ some decent margins, its nowhere near the margin of one of the democrats' most significant demographics - the black vote? do you see any way that a bunch of dems could actually see themselves, at this point, totally spurning 90%+ of the black vote in this election? its NOT GONNA HAPPEN, esp. not for a bunch of flakey catholics who voted for reagan and bush

I just thought your remarks were a little extreme, e.g. a Hillary nomination amounting to a "theft." The truth is about half of the voters in the Dem contests to date have chosen her over Obama (the delegate count being another matter).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    right but the reason obama went after delegates is because those are the terms of the nomination process. if it was meant to be about popular vote totals their entire strategy would be diff

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    right but the reason obama went after delegates is because those are the terms of the nomination process. if it was meant to be about popular vote totals their entire strategy would be diff

not sure what you mean here. I understand -- broadly speaking -- that campaigns would operate differently if the popular vote controlled.

but what about Obama's strategy do you see as being aimed specifically at delegates? how has he "gone after" the delegates rather than seeking the support of the broader electorate?

(I realize this is somewhat tangential; I'm just curious as to what you meant).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    he is seeking the support of the broader electorate but his strategy of building organizations in states like idaho shows how he was after delegates from the beginning. it makes sense for a nomination strategy to use that method, its the easiest path to toppling hillary's 100% name recognition

• If you dusty relics werent so ignorant you'd understand the importance of the pastor in the christian tradition. Choosing your pastor is not a trivial decision for someone who is serious about their faith. That obama chose a lunatic for this position is certainly important for what it suggests about his judgement and his beliefs. It becomes even more important when said lunatic states outright that he and obama are of one mind and that obama was simply lying when he claimed to disagree with him.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You still live in Europe, TRAITOR??

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    poeple keep trying to skip over this issue by saying that it is a side show or a distraction. obama has been in the senate for three years, he has no real voting record, and no history of any bipartisan legislation, but is running on the promise that he will transcend party politics and unite the country. absent any record upon which to measure these promises, it is entirely appropriate to look to the people he has chosen to surround himself with to try and guage the individual. next time, democrats would be wise to choose a candidate that they know something about.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

In all seriousness this is terrible - TERRIBLE - for Obama.

lets see how long it takes for our super-hero to react and disavow the "looney uncle" he previously said he could no sooner disavow than disavow his own race.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

In all seriousness this is terrible - TERRIBLE - for Obama.

I've never seen the game played so poorly.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    poeple keep trying to skip over this issue by saying that it is a side show or a distraction. obama has been in the senate for three years, he has no real voting record, and no history of any bipartisan legislation, but is running on the promise that he will transcend party politics and unite the country. absent any record upon which to measure these promises, it is entirely appropriate to look to the people he has chosen to surround himself with to try and guage the individual. next time, democrats would be wise to choose a candidate that they know something about.

i like how you continue to talk about obama being a poor choice and unelectable without ever mentioning anything about his future gop opponent. and what do u mean obama does not have a "real voting record"? the thousands of votes he has made as a senator were fake?

this concept of looking at the people you surround yourself might have merit if Obama only associated himself with a select group of people. the opposite is true. if Obama were any more diverse, he'd be a mythical character. just because the bigots/ignoramuses of America want to obsess over isolated comments made by his Pastor, doesn't mean that such a conversation is remotely relevant. think about the people who REALLY listen to their priests, pastors, rabbis. we call them religious zealots and weirdos. if listened to my rabbi, i'd be going door to door soliciting money to plant trees for Israel.

my question is - do you think Wright is relevant, or do you just think Wright is relevant to other people?

• The meaning of all of that
    Some media is the whack
    You believe it's true, it blows me through the roof
    Suckers, liars get me a shovel
    Some writers I know are damn devils
    For them I say don't believe the hype
    Yo Chuck, they must be on the pipe, right?[/b]
    Their pens and pads I'll snatch
    'Cause I've had it[/b]
    I'm not an addict fiendin' for static
    I'll see their tape recorder and grab it
    No, you can't have it back silly rabbit
    I'm going' to my media assassin[/b]
    Harry Allen, I gotta ask him
    Yo Harry, you're a writer, are we that type?
    Don't believe the hype
    I got Flavor and all those things you know
    Yeah boy, part two bum rush and show!
    Yo Griff[/b], get the green black red and
    Gold down countdown to Armageddon
    -88 you wait the S1Ws will
    Rock the hard jams - treat it like a seminar
    Teach the bourgeoise, and rock the boulevard
    Some say I'm negative
    But they're not positive
    But what I got to give...
    (The media says this?!)

im sorry keith, can you refresh my memory as to a few of these "thousands" of votes? I'm particularly interested in those where he stood on principle perhaps in the face of pressure from his own party.

i also have to say that your recent habbit of blaming all the stupid, ignorant, biggoted voters, etc. for the fact that Obama is a lousy candidate is a nice touch.

im sorry keith, can you refresh my memory as to a few of these "thousands" of votes? I'm particularly interested in those where he stood on principle perhaps in the face of pressure from his own party.

i also have to say that your recent habbit of blaming all the stupid, ignorant, biggoted voters, etc. for the fact that Obama is a lousy candidate is a nice touch.

wait, you mean the guy republicans refer to as the person with the most liberal voting record in the senate? what principles would he be standing on by voting against pressure from other democrats? i think you are confusing hillary's vote on the bankruptcy act, which was the exact opposite scenario - buckling to corporate pressure in the face of a vote that went against obvious democratic principles.

so your saying obama is a lousy candidate because dems should know that ignorant people will vote on non-issues?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

when u thought he didnt have a chance u didnt think he was a lousy candidate u partisan hack

• dayday 9,612 Posts

when u thought he didnt have a chance u didnt think he was a lousy candidate u partisan hack

Right? Sabadabadabdaba was actually riding for him as a candidate at one point.

I really hope this won't be the issue that sinks Obama's ship, but I don't have much faith in America's track record when it comes to race to believe much otherwise.

wait, you mean the guy republicans refer to as the person with the most liberal voting record in the senate? what principles would he be standing on by voting against pressure from other democrats? i think you are confusing hillary's vote on the bankruptcy act, which was the exact opposite scenario - buckling to corporate pressure in the face of a vote that went against obvious democratic principles.

so your saying obama is a lousy candidate because dems should know that ignorant people will vote on non-issues?

Im saying (1) that he has a thin voting record by which to determine his principles; and (2) what little record he has does not support a post-partisan uniter, but rather a partisan great-society liberal who basically votes the party line and cant point to a vote where he bucked that line based on these deeper principles.

And, as for you. I thought Obama was a more acceptable candidate than Hillary merely because he lacked the machinery to do much harm, and also - like everyone else - I knew nothing about him. Now that I know something about him, I think he is a lousy candidate - as are an increasing number of democratic voters.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Now that I know something about him, I think he is a lousy candidate - as are an increasing number of democratic voters.

And what exactly do you now know about him that you didn't before?

Now that I know something about him, I think he is a lousy candidate - as are an increasing number of democratic voters.

that he lies.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I'm laughing my ass of right night. Yo, liberal strut cool out. Obama is totally bullet proof on this shit. Nobody believes that he agrees with Wright on this stuff. The more Wright gets up and acts weird the more that disconnect is going to become ingrained in the average suburban swing voter who will decide this election. The fact is they simply like Obama more than Hillary and McCain. As I have said before the entire election, barring a world wide event that changes the stakes, was over after Wisconsin when he achieved uncatchability in the delegate numbers. Sababa is just trying to talk himself into believing that he didn't like Obama in the first place. Relax

Right? Sabadabadabdaba was actually riding for him as a candidate at one point.

I really hope this won't be the issue that sinks Obama's ship, but I don't have much faith in America's track record when it comes to race to believe much otherwise.

If Obama is elected President, that alone will not prove the U.S. no longer has race issues ...... and if he is nominated and loses the election, it alone will not prove that the U.S. is a racist society.

Im saying (1) that he has a thin voting record by which to determine his principles;

ok. the guy has probably voted tens of thousands of times between the state and us senate. does he have to vote a hundred thousands times before you can vet out his principles?

should we judge mccain by his voting record? like voting for the war, against a national holiday for mlk day, against raising the minimum wage, for bush's tax cuts, etc.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

that he lies.

Weak. Post facts of stfu.

Payback is a bitch

ABC News' Nitya Venkataraman Reports: In a Tuesday appearance on Good Morning America, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., suggested that controversial pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright is angry with parishioner Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and may be deliberately trying to hurt his presidential bid. News' Nitya Venkataraman Reports: In a Tuesday appearance on Good Morning America, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., suggested that controversial pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright is angry with parishioner Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and may be deliberately trying to hurt his presidential bid.

Saying that Wright "went out of his way to weaken Obama" during Monday's address at the National Press Club, Gingrich told Barbara Walters "I think Reverend Wright has a greater interest in his self-importance."

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    an increasing number of democratic voters.
    gallup polls suggest otherwise. hes only dropped a few points since the wright 'scandal' first emerged and he bounce half of that amount back. the only poll to suggest serious damage was the recent AP poll which could easily be an outlier

but regardless you're being totally disingenuous here, speaking of liars

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I don't know about anybody else, but I'm getting a chuckle out of the fact that suddenly, Republicans think that candidates having ties to crazy-ass preachers is a bad thing.

• Nobody believes that he agrees with Wright on this stuff.

Wright obviously does. And, we must ask the question, if obama disagrees with wright so vehmently over so many many issues why was he in the pews listening to him for two decades?

@dj GAY: His own pastor called obamam a liar you real world circa 1994 type mufucka. He insisted that obama's repudiation of him was just 'politics' aka a show to passify the rubes shuch as you. PEEP GAME