The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• I'm just so happy that Comcast decided to throw me a year of HBO free when I signed up for cable/internet/phone (I don't really plan to fuck with the phone at all, but it was cheaper to get it than go a la carte) at my new spot. Got set up yesterday and spent the rest of the evening with episodes 51 & 52. Can't wait to see what's next.

• almost forgot....
    pull omar out of retirement???? they crazy?

• off the damn deep end. the booze is not helping his perspective

#52 spolier alert

avons gotta be scheming. or is he just trying to get some cash?

mike...definitely not a brainwashed soldier. wild card.

snoop...just enjoys shooting people

Yeah, Mc Nulty's idea just doesn't make any sense at all, but that shows how dude is dedicated to get money (ie more press and politics involved ; the dead body was white right ? More interesting for media) so he can finally do his police work and keep on with that 22 bodies case.

Mike is torn between the dark and not so bright side I guess...

Snoop is just cold. Plain and simple. Crazy.

Thing I don't understand is what influence has Avon left so Marlo can't avoid that new jail middleman (kinda stupid as he's trying to get rid of Prop Joe in the first place).

Anyway episode 2 was (smiley face like when you enjoy the music you're listening).

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    Mcnulty's "turning on the faucet" in a real sloppy way...it'll be interesting to see how Bunk responds over time.

also, the fed parking lot scene was chuckles.

i'm gonna drive away now...if that's okay with you two suckholes

• OK, all you on-demand people are seriously going to ruin my season 5 experience so until somebody starts a Sunday Night Schedule thread for the Wire, I'm gone. Adios, enjoy the show!

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    No spoilers for #52, PLEASE take that somewhere else!!

• Dudes this is THE SPOILER THREAD for On Demand getters!

Episode 52 is available On Demand. I don't want to hear no schitt about episode 8.11 or whatever but for you non-on-demand folks there is actually a separate thread. Deal with it!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's how funny how a half of the talk in this thread is about HBO semantics.

More spoilage: For those interested, there is a "lost" document on Slate.com talking about the "last" scene of The Wire that didn't get shot. Not sure exactly what to think of it, but you don't really glean too much much reading it, so don't worry about that.

• OK, all you on-demand people are seriously going to ruin my season 5 experience so until somebody starts a Sunday Night Schedule thread for the Wire, I'm gone. Adios, enjoy the show!

saying.

like I suggested yesterday, someone change the thread title of this one to "On Demand Week Early Spoiler" thread or some shit an let's start another one for those watching on schedule.

saying.

like I suggested yesterday, someone change the thread title of this one to "On Demand Week Early Spoiler" thread or some shit an let's start another one for those watching on schedule.

Dude it does/there is

• WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE MODERHATERS????
    is the workload that strenuous that they cant spring into action when needed?

WHAT THE FUCK. stop spanking the monkey, suckholes and straighten this wire thread shit out!!!

x20

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

See you guys in the Non-spoiler Thread

• I peeped 52 last night.

First of all, some unecessary West Coast hate in this episode: a gratuitous Barry Bonds comment and Snoop's hattery of Boyz n the Hood and "fuck them West Coast ni**as." yes madd doggie.

Ok but seriously: it's great to have the Wire in my life again and the first two episodes have been highly enjoyable AND I know it's early in the season to be critiquing what is obviously building up to something much larger BUT...

the newspaper shit is WEAK.

don't get me wrong, the dude from Homicide (Clark Johnson) is on point: good actor and interesting character.

but I can't stand the rest of it.

1. weak actors/characters: the corny old white editors (no not the main, corporate guy played by Sam Freed, I mean the other 2-3 heavyset white dudes with their corny one-line parts) and ESPECIALLY that insufferable young female reporter. she is AWFUL.

2. the Espisode 52 editorial meeting was sooooo contrived: dude wants to show the failing school system while the one editor with integrity (Clark Johnson) argues that the problems are deeper. zzzzzzzz....OK we get it, that's what the Wire is all about. NEXT.

3. the newsroom shit is Frickin' up the pace of the whole show: they clearly wanna integrate this newspaper shit into the plot as soon as possible, but they are doing it at the expense of the other storylines. they jump to a newsroom scene almost every other scene. there's just WAAAAY too much newsroom. previous seasons did not bombard you so heavily with one single plot line. there has been a much more gradual pace over the last seasons: a Bubs scene, a school scene, a street scene, a cop scene, a city hall scene, etc. it just feels like the newsroom thing is getting more play than it deserves at this point.

I know, I know, the newsroom is setting up a major season-long story (which is very obviously going to be the young ambitious white reporter creating some sensational police scandal and screwing Clark Johnson and cops in the process). but I just feel like it's rushed and not that interesting. it's like David Simon is getting selfish: he knows he only has 10 episodes left so he's subjecting us to HIS story about working at a newspaper, when it's not really well integrated into the larger story. I guess he was jealous that Ed Burns' experiences as a homicide police got so much play during seasons 1-4....

• Who's seen 53??

Schitt is starting to cooketh...

Broke my heart to see Michael and Dukie geeking out on kid shit... only to get reprimanded when they returned to the block.

I am digging the newsroom angle, personally. Don't quite understand the hatt. Gus is the dude and although it is rather transparent I can dig the meta-critique that ties together the other 4 seasons.

The scene with Norman and Gus at the bar is tight. And Roger Twigg is a great character... I hope he doesn't go away after the buyout.

Rofl at Omar down in PR maxing in some linens and shit. Knew that couldn't last.

Lollerskates at McNulty getting busy with some skank on the hood of a car... man, I think we've found our season 5 tragedy.

Marlo at the bank in Antilles... woah. Yo my money is in there! How small is Marlo looking in perspective?

And lastly... NERESE CAN GET IT!!!

• Anybody got a link to episode #54?

• cascas 1,484 Posts

Rofl at Omar down in PR maxing in some linens and shit. Knew that couldn't last.

Lollerskates at McNulty getting busy with some skank on the hood of a car... man, I think we've found our season 5 tragedy.

Marlo at the bank in Antilles... woah. Yo my money is in there! How small is Marlo looking in perspective?

#53 was dope! marlo looked WAAAAAAAAY outta his element in that scene. the quote that prop joe had me dying.

wire steam/pacing back!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    LOL'ers at Ashy Larry as Clay Davis' driver.

"Focus Muthafucka, focus!"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's not just the newsroom. Myself and a few friends have been astounded at how surreally wack this new season has been in terms of all the elements that have made the show tick. Wifey called it: at the end of this last ep (3), she turned to me and said, "it's just melodrama now."

All that plus sex on the hood. Simon is either getting really crazy or lazy or both.

My friend pointed out what was so deathly wrong with the newsroom stuff: newspapers are getting merked because of sweeping changes in media. You don't need a dumb ass executive editor or Stephen Glass in training for shit to fall down. It's like blaming a factory closing on some foreman who fucked up on the job rather than, say, deindustrialization or outsourcing.

That said, I actually like the newsroom banter but the fake-news-reporter character is so thinly drawn you could shave with it.

The upside is that, so far, S5 is making me appreciate S2 so much better than I used to.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Anyone got the torrents for ep3 and 4?

peace.

• sheep:

http://hosted.filefront.com/blahbleh102 -- click the "d'load now" link on the right.

haven't seen four yet.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

nice one.

• oh, i guess there's an unzip pw; it's:

ElQue For Mod

--cut/paste the above, and yr good ta go!

• It's not just the newsroom. Myself and a few friends have been astounded at how surreally wack this new season has been in terms of all the elements that have made the show tick. Wifey called it: at the end of this last ep (3), she turned to me and said, "it's just melodrama now."

All that plus sex on the hood. Simon is either getting really crazy or lazy or both.

My friend pointed out what was so deathly wrong with the newsroom stuff: newspapers are getting merked because of sweeping changes in media. You don't need a dumb ass executive editor or Stephen Glass in training for shit to fall down. It's like blaming a factory closing on some foreman who fucked up on the job rather than, say, deindustrialization or outsourcing.

That said, I actually like the newsroom banter but the fake-news-reporter character is so thinly drawn you could shave with it.

The upside is that, so far, S5 is making me appreciate S2 so much better than I used to.

again, it's like so many of these criticisms could be leveled at other seasons. How exactly do you portray deindustrialization or outsourcing in the abstract? Is that what the show is about? Did they portray the port closing without the aid of crooked politicians and shoeboxes of cash? Did they portray the schools' failures without the aid of give-a-fuck-less teachers or the corners without crooked cops and drug addled mothers? Are the characters so much deeper in those instances?

the microscope is on now, but it's a lot easier for dudes to go back and watch something already dubbed "genius" and agree... I don't know... it is bizarre to me that a lot of guys who got into it late in the game are so harshly critical of this one season. "it's just melodrama now"... uh, ok.

It's a TV show... dudes are acting like that shit is real life. And please save the "...but it IS real!"

sheep:

http://hosted.filefront.com/blahbleh102 -- click the "d'load now" link on the right.

haven't seen four yet.

cheers killah...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    it is bizarre to me that a lot of guys who got into it late in the game are so harshly critical of this one season.

I can't comment on that since I've been watching the show since S2. Not exactly "late in the game". I'm not interested in trying to go at this, blow-by-blow. All I can say is that while I enjoy things about this new season, I find a lot of it "off." I hold out hope that it will turn a corner and find some consistency (or at least, better writing).

Maybe it's a case of too high expectations. I just rewatched S1-4 over the course of the last six weeks or so and, as a result, I went into S5 practically the day after finishing S4 for the second time. I think I'd be more generous to the new season - and what I perceive to be its flaws - if I had, instead, had the benefit of a year+ off from it.

Then again, fans I know who hadn't seen an ep since S4 originally ended are saying the same thing to me, the gist being, "dude, what happened to this show?" It's like SImon got high on his own supply.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

sheep:

haven't seen four yet.

cheers killah...

• There are so many good scenes & moments in 52 (McNulty at the garage unable to get a working vehicle & having to show up at the crime scene via bus; Marlo vs. Avon; Lester staking out the vacant lot on his own time reading miniatures magazines; Lester & McNulty Frickin' w/ their FBI contact in the parking garage - their only outlet for a few laughs their situation is so fucked) delivered in the classic deliberate Wire pace. It more than balances out any issues w/ the newsroom story thread. For me anyways.

53 was paced a little too fast IMO. There is an awful lot they tried to pack in. But I'm invested enough in the story & characters that I'm willing to forgive some over-reaching.

To say that this season outright sucks is way too hasty. No way a season can suck three eps into it when 52 is one of those eps.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I have never seen one episode, where should I start?

I have never seen one episode, where should I start?

s01e01

and work up there, don't miss anything...

OH SHIT!

OMAR'S BACK!!! HAHAAHHA! EPISODE 4 IS GUNNA BE THAT SHIT!