The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I think the dude who's putting them on TPB is just an arse.

It seems as if they've all disappeared from TPB.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I think the dude who's putting them on TPB is just an arse.

It seems as if they've all disappeared from TPB.

Damn!

• Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahaha

• Damn right. You know good and damn well David Simon doesn't want you ripping that shit off! For shame!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    However, I'm sure Simon knows it's only a matter time before bootleg DVDs are flying off the shelves at Bubs' Depot.

B/W How hilarious is it that Herc works for the lawyer dude? I wouldn't think he would hire that dude in a second if not for his police and politcal connects. I wonder if Royce had a hand in that one.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    However, I'm sure Simon knows it's only a matter time before bootleg DVDs are flying off the shelves at Bubs' Depot.

B/W How hilarious is it that Herc works for the lawyer dude? I wouldn't think he would hire that dude in a second if not for his police and politcal connects. I wonder if Royce had a hand in that one.

I think slimey lawyer dude's hiring of Herc was a genius move. Now the lawyer has a way to get major police intel. I sense Herc will turn completely to the darkside and do some totally dirty shit to his ex-police colleagues. I also think the lawyer dude has something up his sleeve to cut down Avon Barksdale's bid --- maybe helping out on the Clay Davis investigation?

• i was surprised that chris was so open about going to check those criminal records. on purpose?

yeah I don't know but it was classic how Pearlman, Daniels and the States Attorney had just been discussing the 22 bodies and a second later Chris walks up and asks Pearlman where the criminal records room is.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Some of the screeners are for sale on Ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-WIRE-Press-DVD-E...1QQcmdZViewItem

ALLHIPHOP forums have a thread with live/working links to episodes on megaupload, rapidshare etc... with screen shots. Kinda crazy how wild shit is these days. This would be the second time The Wire got hit for screeners. I don't get why they need to send the season out. You'd think by Season 5 they have a core audience, and not need the press... but hey, what do I know....lol

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Some of the screeners are for sale on Ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-WIRE-Press-DVD-E...1QQcmdZViewItem

ALLHIPHOP forums have a thread with live/working links to episodes on megaupload, rapidshare etc... with screen shots. Kinda crazy how wild shit is these days. This would be the second time The Wire got hit for screeners. I don't get why they need to send the season out. You'd think by Season 5 they have a core audience, and not need the press... but hey, what do I know....lol

well, the screeners I got were from a dude who's girlfriend writes for the newspaper... she wasn't into the Wire at all, so she had her boyfriend watch them and basically tell her what it's about. I know just as many people who aren't into the show.... it doesn't really attract everyone.

• kinda surprised hbo hasn't sent their "leveys" after the ebay dude yet, as the torrents seem to be disappearing every hour -- an old roomie of mine got a cease and desist call at work as he was downloading deadwood torrents.

• "dat show is so hood yo!"

dude you need to watch the show. you've shown yourself to be a Wire hatteur in past-season threads as well, and I guess I gotta admire your persistence in the face of overwhelming odds (read: how good this show actually is).

but really, just peep it.

your post seems to suggest that we're a bunch of internet gangstas riding for a show because it's "hood" and makes us feel real or some schitt.

but read the posts: the overwhelming majority of the Wire commentary/appreciation in here is in reference to its complex storylines, outstanding writing and superb acting.

I really haven't seen anyone in here talmbout how "gangsta" the Wire is.

"dat show is so hood yo!"

its a vicious cycle... this show comes on, and makes more of the dudes in the pics, and it just goes on and on.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Herc works for faux_rillz

• Damn right. You know good and damn well David Simon doesn't want you ripping that shit off! For shame!

I would march to the store right now and buy any and all of season 5 on DVD, but there is no way I'm gonna subscribe to premium cable just to get HBO just to watch the wire. I despise my cable company too much to give them any more monies. So its torrent time for me.

I would march to the store right now and buy any and all of season 5 on DVD, but there is no way I'm gonna subscribe to premium cable just to get HBO just to watch the wire. I despise my cable company too much to give them any more monies. So its torrent time for me.

don't these cable channels offer free trials sometimes?

even if not, aren't we talking about 10 episodes, meaning just over 10 weeks of HBO subscription, after which point you could cancel?

maybe you can't pay month-to-month these days...not sure.

• I watch other shows and movies on HBO, so I'm not mad at buying the subscription. It's awesome that the DVDs are selling (are they?) but it's pretty weak to brag about how you won't pay any money "just" to watch a show that in the next breath most describe as the single best show they've ever watched in their natural lives.

David Simon rails against giving away newspapers on the internet, I can only imagine how he feels about dudes who choose not to pay for his show. One of the main themes of it is that we only get anywhere by paying for good, hard work - not cutting corners, doing "more with less", etc.

I know there are thousands of bootlegs being sold at Patapsco Market alone, not to mention the world wide web... I'm no friend of Time Warner Cable or whatever service you have. Still, at what point do we all realize that the less we spend, the less we're gonna get?

• I know Dish Network was just offering 3 months of HBO free with no contractual obligation to continue it after the three months. I'm just gonna pay for HBO, it's an extra $10 a month, big deal. The Wire is well worth that. I haven't even seen ep 51 yet and I plan to watch each episode weekly. I feel like we need to have 2 threads now though - one for people who are going to download the whole season and watch it in a month, and one for people who are goign to watch it as it drops on HBO. I don't want spoilers but these threads are too tempting not to read.

By the way, those of you rocking the 1-7 screeners, aren't you just gonna be mad as hell that you have to wait months to see the final 3 episodes if they don't leak before they air?

dude you need to watch the show. you've shown yourself to be a Wire hatteur in past-season threads as well, and I guess I gotta admire your persistence in the face of overwhelming odds (read: how good this show actually is).

your post seems to suggest that we're a bunch of internet gangstas riding for a show because it's "hood" and makes us feel real or some schitt.

but read the posts: the overwhelming majority of the Wire commentary/appreciation in here is in reference to its complex storylines, outstanding writing and superb acting.

ive watched every season homie, its aight, but some of yalls hard on for it is very funny... & yes many of you come off like netbangers that feel connected to the streets because of a tv show, & no im not talkin bout you, i know how you roll & i got respect for ya...

Who is netbanging for the Wire on soulstrut? Do tell.

ive watched every season homie, its aight, but some of yalls hard on for it is very funny... & yes many of you come off like netbangers that feel connected to the streets because of a tv show, & no im not talkin bout you, i know how you roll & i got respect for ya...

word.

• I watch other shows and movies on HBO, so I'm not mad at buying the subscription. It's awesome that the DVDs are selling (are they?) but it's pretty weak to brag about how you won't pay any money "just" to watch a show that in the next breath most describe as the single best show they've ever watched in their natural lives.

David Simon rails against giving away newspapers on the internet, I can only imagine how he feels about dudes who choose not to pay for his show. One of the main themes of it is that we only get anywhere by paying for good, hard work - not cutting corners, doing "more with less", etc.

I know there are thousands of bootlegs being sold at Patapsco Market alone, not to mention the world wide web... I'm no friend of Time Warner Cable or whatever service you have. Still, at what point do we all realize that the less we spend, the less we're gonna get?

I'm not "bragging" that i don't want to move to the next tier in my cable company's setup (comcast). If I could pay only ten bucks a month to get HBO and watch the wire I probably would. But all of Comcast's programming is in bundles which are full of unwanted programming. If cable internet were not my best option, I would have no cable at all. I don't think that there is anything unreasonable about wishing for "a-la-carte" cable programming, and not paying for the bloated expensive programming packages that currently exist.
    I'm sure that David Simon would prefer that I subscribe to HBO. After all, that network allows the "The Wire" to exist. But I think that it is a stretch to compare his examination of underfunded government beurocracies to private cable companies.

• It's not a stretch at all - Simon actually speaks directly to it in one of those recent interview programs on HBO.

I'm not judging anyone, just saying I spend $20 a month on way worse shit than my HBO subscription. I'm under no illusion about who gets hurt by bootlegging.

• It's not a stretch at all - Simon actually speaks directly to it in one of those recent interview programs on HBO.

Well then I guess that message is pretty much lost on us non-HBO subscribers.

• You're right - he should've demanded that his show be aired on network television.

• You're right - he should've demanded that his show be aired on network television.

hahaha. Look, I feel your argument that people need to get paid for their creative work. My beef is with comcast cable, who do no creative work. They are middlemen involved in conveying that work to its audience. And I am saying that they are fuggin' up. I would like to pay the people whose work I admire (David Simon, et. al.) for what they do, but if in doing that I have to subsidize the raft of mediocrity that is cable television than I decline. In most cases this can be avoided by getting television shows that I like on DVD from netflix or buying them or whatever. Unfortunately in the case of the Wire I really want to know what happens so I am cheating ahead with the torrents.

• Although I haven't heard David Simon's arguments comparing government beaurocracies to cable companies and television networks, I still call bullshit. How do the police and the school system, which are essential to our lives compare to entertainment companies which are just a small percentage of our entertainment (i.e. non-essential) options.

• Comcast

Herein lies your problem. Comcast is the worst of all of the choices for cable television. They had the weakest packages at the highest prices. I really recommend you look into Dish or DirecTV. They have way better deals, packages, better HD if you've got one of those, and the movie channels can be purchased individually. I got my set up with 3 months free cinemax and hbo with no obligations, 6 months of free HD channels (only $20 when the 6 is up) and the "America's Top 200" package which has all the channels you could ever need (food, disc, tlc, speed, espn, toon, etc, etc, etc). On top of that, it came with a free HDDVR with 500 hours of storage and no setup fee.

Sorry for the threadjack. Honestly, I would pay movie ticket prices to see each episode weekly in a theatre. I'm more than happy to watch it on HBOHD for ~$10 a month at this point.

it's pretty weak to brag about how you won't pay any money "just" to watch a show that in the next breath most describe as the single best show they've ever watched in their natural lives.

Ha ha!

You got me all wrong, my friend.

Por favor believe that I DO support, I just refuse to pay all that money when it is literally the only television program I watch. I'll just watch it for free and buy the DVD, why pay twice? But yeah, if I had cable then the extra $15 that Dish Network charges wouldn't be a thang.

Can you honestly say that you've ran out and bought every album you've ever DL'ed and truly enjoyed pre-release? I'm not talking "promo dude dropped off the vinyl and/or cd," either, I'm talking money out your pocket.

I mean, I feel what you're saying about the anticipation and getting that feeling we had BITD and all, but things done changed. We hear half the album before it's released even if we stay 100% legal. I'm not sayin' it's impossible to avoid it, but it probably means that you can't fuck with the 'net at all (or listen to NY or satellite radio, for that matter).

Technology has made it possible for us to watch shit BEFORE it's supposed to air. HBO charges $5 (here at least) just to have an episode "on demand." They know the game and they're sure as hell capitalizing on it. Pretty soon they'll have to charge $10 to watch 2 episodes and $100+ to say fuck it, you can have the whole season NOW. And you know what? People will pay for that shit. Maybe even me!

We can't keep those Wire DVDs in our shop for more than a few days. Shit sells like hotcakes.

• Who is netbanging for the Wire on soulstrut? Do tell.

me!!!