The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• tthey were offering federal help to carcettt, but they wanted to be able to prosecute clay davis. carcetti saw this as playing politics, where the republicans would savage a corrupt democrat (davis)

• And another: The Baltimore Sun guys standing outside having a smoke and one says "I wonder what it's like to work in a real newspaper." Later in the episode when Major Crimes finds out about they're being reassigned due to funding cuts, McNulty says: "I wonder what it's like to work in a real police department." Budget cuts are a bitch.

I actually think this (along with the exactly parallel police terrorism briefing and back-to-school teacher briefing scene from S4) was a little heavyhanded. I mean, I am all for parallelism as a device, but when the cops and reporters (and police and teachers) basically utter the exact same lines it's sorta like the show's producers telling me "hey dumb viewer, you are about to see some parallels; here they are..."

2. The whole Clay Davis issue and the federal grand jury investigation. What's going on with the deal the fed was trying to make with Mayor Carcetti?? I didn't get that, any theories?

that was Carcetti asking for federal help in bringing down the crime rates (basically help with the murder investigations because the city's broke) and the Fed saying he would do it if they would let the Feds prosecute Clay Davis rather than the state (city?) attorney.

• I suggest we dead the two Season 5 Wire threads and the one Episode 51 thread consolidate the threads into 2 threads: one season-long thread for those watching Season 5 a week early (i.e. those with On Demand) and one season-long thread for those watching Season 5 on time (i.e. everyone else). This will never happen, but I think it's the most logical way to go.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    tthey were offering federal help to carcettt, but they wanted to be able to prosecute clay davis. carcetti saw this as playing politics, where the republicans would savage a corrupt democrat (davis)

They were 'playing politics'. But Carcetti has more personal reasons for protecting Davis, not just party loyalty. If he wants to move up the ladder, the Davis scandal would hamper his ambitions.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts

And another: The Baltimore Sun guys standing outside having a smoke and one says "I wonder what it's like to work in a real newspaper." Later in the episode when Major Crimes finds out about they're being reassigned due to funding cuts, McNulty says: "I wonder what it's like to work in a real police department." Budget cuts are a bitch.

I actually think this (along with the exactly parallel police terrorism briefing and back-to-school teacher briefing scene from S4) was a little heavyhanded. I mean, I am all for parallelism as a device, but when the cops and reporters (and police and teachers) basically utter the exact same lines it's sorta like the show's producers telling me "hey dumb viewer, you are about to see some parallels; here they are..."

I see your point. I didn't think it was heavy-handed but now that you mention it, it was an obvious parallel to draw. It was one of those Wire things where only after the show's over, you realize that a parallel was drawn but you might only have caught it afterwards.

2. The whole Clay Davis issue and the federal grand jury investigation. What's going on with the deal the fed was trying to make with Mayor Carcetti?? I didn't get that, any theories?

that was Carcetti asking for federal help in bringing down the crime rates (basically help with the murder investigations because the city's broke) and the Fed saying he would do it if they would let the Feds prosecute Clay Davis rather than the state (city?) attorney.

I understood they were trying to cut a deal but I didn't get the specifics. Who was the guy Bond they were talking about? Why did Carcetti tell the fed to f*** off? Something about the Republican fed wanting to show his golf buddies how he made the Dems look like idiots and win political points through federalizing the Clay Davis trial?... I think I just answered my own question, never mind.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    WARNING: Speculation on future of this season.

2) Marlo is going to try to find the Greek and cut out Prop Joe and them so he can get right to the source and get rid of the middle man.

Marlo was trying to do this in season 4. Doesn't he actually track one of them down? I can't remember exactly.

I don't see why they would go over that again, I reckon it might be part of a Marlo downfall / Barksdale revenge takeover plot.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Carcetti said he doesn't care about Davis but if it gets tried in federal court, the Republican attorneys will use it as an *indictment* against the entire Democratic party, not that Carcetti would be directly involved per say, but that it would knock the party as a whole, hurting his chances in a governor's race, i.e. You may not play with little boys in the bathroom but the rest of your party does.

As you will see in the second episode, the "real polcie department/newspaper" angle isn't the only thing they laying on thick this season.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I suggest we dead the two Season 5 Wire threads and the one Episode 51 thread consolidate the threads into 2 threads: one season-long thread for those watching Season 5 a week early (i.e. those with On Demand) and one season-long thread for those watching Season 5 on time (i.e. everyone else). This will never happen, but I think it's the most logical way to go.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

And another: The Baltimore Sun guys standing outside having a smoke and one says "I wonder what it's like to work in a real newspaper." Later in the episode when Major Crimes finds out about they're being reassigned due to funding cuts, McNulty says: "I wonder what it's like to work in a real police department." Budget cuts are a bitch.

yeah. this was similar to the first episode of season 4 that showed the ineffectual training that teachers and cops get. both of situations were basically a classroom setting, which i'm sure was meant to hint at the disconnect between what kids are taught and their realities.

ed - my take on this is an intentional stylized technique rather than a decision to dumb it down for the audience. its like showing the raids on the hamsterdam through the news footage or doing a montage marathon/voting sequence - just another way to get the point across. the wire never plays to a slow/ignorant crowd.

I suggest we dead the two Season 5 Wire threads and the one Episode 51 thread consolidate the threads into 2 threads: one season-long thread for those watching Season 5 a week early (i.e. those with On Demand) and one season-long thread for those watching Season 5 on time (i.e. everyone else). This will never happen, but I think it's the most logical way to go.

is ep 52 available on-demand now?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    However, I'm sure Simon knows it's only a matter time before bootleg DVDs are flying off the shelves at Bubs' Depot.

B/W How hilarious is it that Herc works for the lawyer dude? I wouldn't think he would hire that dude in a second if not for his police and politcal connects. I wonder if Royce had a hand in that one.

I think slimey lawyer dude's hiring of Herc was a genius move. Now the lawyer has a way to get major police intel. I sense Herc will turn completely to the darkside and do some totally dirty shit to his ex-police colleagues. I also think the lawyer dude has something up his sleeve to cut down Avon Barksdale's bid --- maybe helping out on the Clay Davis investigation?

Herc's not smart enough to turn to the darkside. He'll probably do what he did last season, which is completely unwittingly fuck everything up because he's a meat head. It will probably involve betraying his police friends.

• However, I'm sure Simon knows it's only a matter time before bootleg DVDs are flying off the shelves at Bubs' Depot.

B/W How hilarious is it that Herc works for the lawyer dude? I wouldn't think he would hire that dude in a second if not for his police and politcal connects. I wonder if Royce had a hand in that one.

I think slimey lawyer dude's hiring of Herc was a genius move. Now the lawyer has a way to get major police intel. I sense Herc will turn completely to the darkside and do some totally dirty shit to his ex-police colleagues. I also think the lawyer dude has something up his sleeve to cut down Avon Barksdale's bid --- maybe helping out on the Clay Davis investigation?

Herc's not smart enough to turn to the darkside. He'll probably do what he did last season, which is completely unwittingly fuck everything up because he's a meat head. It will probably involve betraying his police friends.

Does Herc realize that Levy was/is the lawyer for the Barksdales?

is ep 52 available on-demand now?

Yup, but I'm going to wait until it airs on Sunday to comment.

I didn't think he did. Of course, Herc's major fault seems to be his inability to draw connections. Although he does put the B in subtle, a graemlin worthy quote if ever there was one.

I didn't think he did. Of course, Herc's major fault seems to be his inability to draw connections. Although he does put the B in subtle, a graemlin worthy quote if ever there was one.

there's a b in suttle?

I loved how Herc bragged to his new lawyer boss about the round of drinks he bought his police buddies using his expense account, and how the lawyer looks at him like "I can't believe I hired this moron", followed by what was probably a lecture on how not to abuse said expense account.

• Does Herc realize that Levy was/is the lawyer for the Barksdales?

That was such a "The Wire" moment when he said that. Reminded me of the funny shit he used to say in early episodes where he was still working with Kima and Carver.

On another note, I just notced this and thought it was kind of funny:

Officer Bobby Brown - Played By Bobby Brown

This guy gets to use his own name? And his name is Bobby Brown? Haha, that makes me chuckle for some reason. A couple of other characters use their own names, and some characters use other actors' names in the series. For instance, Lt. Mello's real name is Jay Landsman, and there's the character Jay Landsman who's real name is Delaney Williams. Detective Ed Norris is played by Ed Norris. Anybody know why they did this with the names?

• i read it the other way, like "if your getting this info for buying a single round, what kinda info would you be getting if we put the tab for the whole night on the expense account...?"

anyway, levy mistaking herc for a greedy, dumb, ex-cop ultimately redeems herc in the near future,.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    i read it the other way, like "if your getting this info for buying a single round, what kinda info would you be getting if we put the tab for the whole night on the expense account...?"

anyway, levy mistaking herc for a greedy, dumb, ex-cop ultimately redeems herc in the near future,.

Yeah, this is the right interpretation. Herc was bragging about buying a round of drinks and Levy was schooling him saying don't you know you have an expense account and can be buying your cop friends steak dinners?

• i read it the other way, like "if your getting this info for buying a single round, what kinda info would you be getting if we put the tab for the whole night on the expense account...?"

Yeah, this is the right interpretation. Herc was bragging about buying a round of drinks and Levy was schooling him saying don't you know you have an expense account and can be buying your cop friends steak dinners?

Yes, this is how I understood it too.

yes that makes a lot more sense and would be more of a lawyerly approach to paying for inside information.

On another note, I just notced this and thought it was kind of funny:

Officer Bobby Brown - Played By Bobby Brown

This guy gets to use his own name? And his name is Bobby Brown? Haha, that makes me chuckle for some reason. A couple of other characters use their own names, and some characters use other actors' names in the series. For instance, Lt. Mello's real name is Jay Landsman, and there's the character Jay Landsman who's real name is Delaney Williams. Detective Ed Norris is played by Ed Norris. Anybody know why they did this with the names?

Apparently the real Jay Landsman originally read for the part of Jay Landsman, but he lacked the acting chops to pull it off. He's pretty wooden in his early appearances in the Western as Lt. Mello. If you watched Homicide, Richard Belzer's character Detective John Munch is also based upon the real Jay Landsman.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I'm not asking for spoilers, but does anyone know which kids (aside from Michael and Dukie) appear this season? In particular, I wonder if there's any closure with Randy.

i read it the other way, like "if your getting this info for buying a single round, what kinda info would you be getting if we put the tab for the whole night on the expense account...?"

YES!

YES!

I like this, but I think we need to clarify up front the proper context in which this graemlin should be employed.

too much graemlin abuse as it is, and I feel like this one is particularly susceptible.

• nice!

herc is a tool. i wanted to spit at the set when he is bragging about how the police department would do anything for them and how they love him. such a klutz. gives so much weight to the saying that a cop can fuck up your life at any time.
    he is bound to get manipulated by levy...he'll probably break avon out of jail himself (which i would be completely in favor of!)

they gotta let us know what happened with randy. he's gotta be realted to method man....they are both wagstaffs. maybe randy will grow up to run the eastside and square off with mike and duke?????

and of course....
    more omar, plaese

• nice!

herc is a tool. i wanted to spit at the set when he is bragging about how the police department would do anything for them and how they love him. such a klutz. gives so much weight to the saying that a cop can fuck up your life at any time.
    he is bound to get manipulated by levy...he'll probably break avon out of jail himself (which i would be completely in favor of!)

they gotta let us know what happened with randy. he's gotta be realted to method man....they are both wagstaffs. maybe randy will grow up to run the eastside and square off with mike and duke?????

and of course....
    more omar, plaese

Randy vs. Michael within this season? Maybe. If he is related to Cheese, Cheese has it out for Marlo, and Marlo employs Michael. Interesting concept... I'll have to remember that one.

And Herc is deifnitely going to fuck something up, I'm just not sure how it's going to happen yet. My guess is it will be in favor of Levy/Avon (and possibly Marlo), be it inadvertantly or not.

• Has McNulty lost his goddamn mind???

• off the damn deep end. the booze is not helping his perspective

#52 spolier alert

avons gotta be scheming. or is he just trying to get some cash?

mike...definitely not a brainwashed soldier. wild card.

snoop...just enjoys shooting people