Items jacked from your local radio library

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited October 2005 in Record Collecting
I was looking through the local Radio Station library on campus here and noticed a few things missing:

Les McAnn - Talk To The People
Tom Scott - Honey Suckle Breeze
Baby Huey - Living Legend
Maceo and All The Kings Men

I'm not surprised or anything. Just kind of mad because I listened to the Maceo record last year and thought it was dope, but didn't know about the RAER factor, so I wanted to get another listen after I saw it in the MP3 thread.

Anyone have stories of crazy record heists or big dissapointments after finding out certain records got theived?

Comments

• damn. .your school got hotness. peace, stein. . .

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I was looking through the local Radio Station library on campus here and noticed a few things missing:

Les McAnn - Talk To The People
    Tom Scott - Honey Suckle Breeze
    Baby Huey - Living Legend
    Maceo and All The Kings Men

I'm not surprised or anything. Just kind of mad because I listened to the Maceo record last year and thought it was dope, but didn't know about the RAER factor, so I wanted to get another listen after I saw it in the MP3 thread.

Anyone have stories of crazy record heists or big dissapointments after finding out certain records got theived?

Not to drysnitch, but one heavy dude on this board told me a story involving harvard's stash that was pretty amusing.

People used to get kinda touchy about the issue of jacking records out the library, but I really dont think the "leave it so that more people can hear it" rationale even works anymore. Mp3's have rendered it pretty much useless. If your college library still has records that you want....steal them now.

• If your college library still has records that you want....steal them now.

*maybe* radio station library... otherwise DO NOT[/b] listen to this man

peace to all

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

DO NOT[/b] listen to this girly man

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I knew a couple guys who worked at the UC Irvine radio station. One was even the station manager. these guys had hundreds of records from the station. I even heard a rumor that one of them stole the stations VPI.

but yeah, like bsides said, if yer staion still has Maceo & shit you best take if before someone else does.

• well, i have to say i graduated from college 11 years ago, but the heat that I gotta of there was ludicrous!! Here are some of my favs that I got:

1.Milton Wright-Spaced LP
    2.Gwen McCrae-Melodies of Life LP
    3.J.R. Bailey-Just Me-n-You LP
    4.Billy Brooks-Window of Mind LP
    5.The Creative Sounds of the Organization LP
    6.Monty Alexander-Rass LP
    7.All My Axelrod LPs
    8.All my Black Jazz Records
    9.The Ambassadors-Soul Summit LP
    10.Diamonds SDTK

amir

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    well, i have to say i graduated from college 11 years ago, but the heat that I gotta of there was ludicrous!! Here are some of my favs that I got:

1.Milton Wright-Spaced LP
    2.Gwen McCrae-Melodies of Life LP
    3.J.R. Bailey-Just Me-n-You LP
    4.Billy Brooks-Window of Mind LP
    5.The Creative Sounds of the Organization LP
    6.Monty Alexander-Rass LP
    7.All My Axelrod LPs
    8.All my Black Jazz Records
    9.The Ambassadors-Soul Summit LP
    10.Diamonds SDTK

amir

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    yeah, stealing shit from college radio stations, libraries, and other non-profit orgs is real cool. this is the of behavior.

• i don't think anyone believes that it's super right to steal from a radio station, but hey those records were going to waste anyway. like most radio stations, they don't give a hoot about vinyl anyway. the program directors and radio station personal only care about their hard rock and folk music. nowadays, stations are throwing away vinyl or selling it anyway. yeah, i stole but u know what i would do it again!!! sorry if that affends anyone, but hey you'll get over it.
    amir

nowadays, stations are throwing away vinyl or selling it anyway.

I have never stolen from a radio station, but I am happy to buy from them though.

Amir got some goodies though, for sure dude.

I consider myself a pretty ethical person & all (and mind you I've never done this) but leaving crazy records around at a radio station for SOMEONE ELSE TO STEAL is just foolish. Or, like dude said, if someone else didn't take them they'd be thrown in the garbage!

• lame

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I don't look down upon the behaviour, I can see people doing it.

I was able to convince a different colledge radio station to let me grip Headless Hero's and the second Incredible Bongo Band.

But I think you can definately talk radio directors into selling you the records. The only thing is if they're a dick about it and you jack it after you're

Looking at the library and what was taken, I wonder what we used to have. And I'm pretty little dude, I'm sure heads could find more.

• Options
    ...and gettin' smaller by the minute.

K.

• i have def. heard of some radio stations throwing away vinyl because no one wanted to buy the stuff. now when i say no one, i mean not any of us. I mean like old dudes like hard rock cats and folk music music collectors. people who are not necessarily looking for shit like us. and yeah i got some heat, but that's just the soul, funk, and jazz..i didn't mention of the hi-hop i got back then either.

But I think you can definately talk radio directors into selling you the records.

it's been my experience that these are the people stealing the places blind.

And, Anthony, why is it lame? Is it better to offer to buy the stuff for way less than what it's worth? What's the difference?

Paying for something for a low price is very different from stealing.

Payment vs theft dude. One will get you arrested.

Paying for something for a low price is very different from stealing.

Payment vs theft dude. One will get you arrested.

Taking records from a staion in hardly a crime. It's like not returning a library book. No one is going to jail over it.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i'm smelling 5 pages...

it's a tough call... in an ideal world, no one would steal from these places and thus the library would be slammin' for years to come, but it's like on some Rousseau shit, where if one person breaks the bond, than maybe everybody might as well...

i've discussed this with friends before and the big heartbreaker mentioned is to see some rare shit and decide to be all moral and leave it there, only to find out it disappeared a month later.

and to throw another spanner into the works, i don't know many people who do radio who use the library. maybe they grab a couple things to fill out their show, but most people i know play almost exclusively their own records...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    With the cost of college tuition, I felt like I was entitled to the records. They made us do overnight shifts in order for our show to get funding. I'd put on one side of a record at 3 AM and go into the backroom and fill my bag up with records... mostly hip hop. All the good jazz and shit was WPSU's and in another building.

• Replace it with reissue or something.... my god.

Considering how many " friends " have " stolen " or " borrowed " records and money from me in the past 10 years I tend to find this kind of thread annoying and wack.

These jutifications are so weak... " No one was going to play it anyway ". " They were going to throw it away ". Give me a break. How do you know no one was going to use those records and that they were going to be thrown away?

I purchased KCRW's records and paid them $40 for RASS and $25 for Black Jazz and all the rest. They were stoked. I spent thousands of dollars and it allowed them to go buy some more techno garbage cd's and whatever the fug they are into. I even arranged for titles that they thought they could still play to be replaced with reissue.

Stealing records is wack and it is the source of all bad karma in the universe today.

end of rant.

• true, but ask an old graff writer about rackin' cans. to me, it is the same way for us. back then i didn't have even ten dollars to spend on records. and those that i took had the worst comments and complaints written all over them by many people in the past. so they weren't even appreciating the stuff anyway...cool cause I am!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I purchased KCRW's records and paid them $40 for RASS and $25 for Black Jazz and all the rest. They were stoked.

You paid too much. WPSU liquidated (what was left) of their collection at $2/pop. There was still some heat left indeed (minus the call letter graffiti).

Replace it with reissue or something.... my god.

Considering how many " friends " have " stolen " or " borrowed " records and money from me in the past 10 years I tend to find this kind of thread annoying and wack.

These jutifications are so weak... " No one was going to play it anyway ". " They were going to throw it away ". Give me a break. How do you know no one was going to use those records and that they were going to be thrown away?

I purchased KCRW's records and paid them $40 for RASS and $25 for Black Jazz and all the rest. They were stoked. I spent thousands of dollars and it allowed them to go buy some more techno garbage cd's and whatever the fug they are into. I even arranged for titles that they thought they could still play to be replaced with reissue.

Stealing records is wack and it is the source of all bad karma in the universe today.

end of rant.

alright, I find it hard to argue with this logic.... but, we do not all have the resources that you do.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    stealing is cool, unless you're Haliburton or Enron or something, but if its just stealing records from your school or local radio station then its totally Okay.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    stealing is cool, unless you're Haliburton or Enron or something, but if its just stealing records from your school or local radio station then its totally Okay.

good point.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    leaving crazy records around at a radio station for SOMEONE ELSE TO STEAL is just foolish.
    wow, totally. department stores leave shit just laying around the exact same way!

• sorry man, i hear u but how do u know no one wasn't going to throw records away? I have racked many radio stations in my life as well as being a program director at one in college...let me you that some radio stations do throw away the records and that most radio personal don't give a care about the type of records you may like. This is a fact! Shit most of the time, those cats are stealing the hard rock and folk records anyway..so whatever. i understand people stealing records from u that is wack, but we are talking about apples and oranges.

• Hey dude I did plenty of questionable shit when i was 17, 18 years old like thowing beer bottles at people and smashing shit up. I am not on some moral shit here. If you were a student and you copped a Billy Brooks because no one knew what it was then fine. I personally would rather buy it from atomic for $15.99 because they are clueless and tht's what I did. One way is legit and one is sketch but whatever.

I certainly know the feeling of " if I don't take this for safe keeping someone else will " and it is a shitty feeling.

I remember the original Castelli Graphics copy of Lewis Baltz The New Industrial Parks at Irvine California monograph sitting in the stacks at CCAC back in the mid 90's. I used to check it out of the Library for weeks at a time. Back then it was a $250 book. Today it is a $1200 book. I am certain it is not sitting there anymore.

But you know what... I am a huge fan on Baltz, very informed on his work, I would have loved to have that thing. It did not belong to me. I would rather let some other asshole cop it. I like my Karma clean. It feels great. Plus God puts more raers in my lap for cheap this way.

Also... That Billy Brooks record sucks.

ap