Items jacked from your local radio library

Comments

• i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations?

It is also interesting to note that the practice of tracking down old musicians/producers & offering them pennies for their stashes of raer IS NOT hatted on here.

That is "the game".

tracking down musicians is the 7th element dood. Read: 'art form'

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations? as a friend of mine just said to me, whether it's racking records or cans of paint the bottomline is that Hip-Hop was bulit off of oppression and not having anything. so therefore, cats stole paint and racked records had to in order to create and innovate..ask bam, flash, and jazzy jay..true pioneers of this shite!! i dare anyone to call bam or flash a thief.

i think this statement over romantises the fact that what they did was not really the coolest thing be doing in the first palce... this is the slippery slope that lead hip hop into its ridiculous situation today where the WORST stereotypes of keeping it real are lived out on the daily, whether its by graf crews in Belgium or gang bangers in idaho.

lets just keep celebrating that shit.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations?

It is also interesting to note that the practice of tracking down old musicians/producers & offering them pennies for their stashes of raer IS NOT hatted on here.

That is "the game".

tracking down musicians is the 7th element dood. Read: 'art form'

Don't try & baffle me with you're hip-hop, crate-digging slang. I'm onto you, pinko!

• yo, magic jackson i don't know where you get off calling what I just wrote "fuckin dumb," but you need to chill holmes! i don't know you, so I won't comment on what you know or don't, but get ya panties out of a bunch and relax.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations?

That is "the game".

Well, actually, there are plenty of people on here--including me--that have taken issue with this sort of behavior in the past.

But it is true that dudes on SoulStrut treat "the game" as if it was some sort of executive privilege and will try to present all kinds of scheistiness in such a way that they can lay claim to the privilege afforded by "the game".

Selling reissues as OGs on ebay?

DON'T HATE THE GAME, PLAYER!

Lying to old folks about your supposed radio show in order to get their records?

Switching out price tags?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo, magic jackson i don't know where you get off calling what I just wrote "fuckin dumb," but you need to chill holmes! i don't know you, so I won't comment on what you know or don't, but get ya panties out of a bunch and relax.
    you didn't son me, your inarticulate retardedness sonned yourself, holmes.

That is "the game".

Well, actually, there are plenty of people on here--including me--that have taken issue with this sort of behavior in the past.

But it is true that dudes on SoulStrut treat "the game" as if it was some sort of executive privilege and will try to present all kinds of scheistiness in such a way that they can lay claim to the privilege afforded by "the game".

Selling reissues as OGs on ebay?

Lying to old folks about your supposed radio show in order to get their records?

Switching out price tags?

yes, exactly!

quickly goes to search for & edit all posts in which he has spoken of switching price tags...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    edit: forget it, I'm sick of arguing about this

• Listen magic jackson, you don't know what you're talking about. I don't know what's your story, but you trying to come at me is stupid. Why?! You literally have no idea of what you're talking about. You obviously didn't grow up within Hip-Hop culture. If you did then you would know that what I said is true about Bam and Flash. I speak the actual facts!! Stay out of grown folks business...sonny!!!! And yes I did son ya ass! STUPID!!!

• awallawall 673 Posts
    this shit is hilarious

• woo-hooo! page 4!

say it right crink

sabadabada! page 4!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    here's another devil's advocate question:

would it be wrong to, say, replace a record library's copy of a rare LP with the scorpio reissue and keep the OG for yourself?

After all for radio purposes, wouldn't a clean reissue sound better?

anyone?

Listen magic jackson, you don't know what you're talking about. I don't know what's your story, but you trying to come at me is stupid. Why?! You literally have no idea of what you're talking about. You obviously didn't grow up within Hip-Hop culture. If you did then you would know that what I said is true about Bam and Flash. I speak the actual facts!! Stay out of grown folks business...sonny!!!! And yes I did son ya ass! STUPID!!!

no, i think that your justification for taking things that don't belong to you, in the name of underground culture is short sighted.

• i know i am really just having some fun. oh well, i believe this will probably go 6 pages tho. what do u think?

I don't see what this has to do with "real hip-hop???". I'm positive radio station/librray theft pre-dates hip-hop & it's "lifestyle".

• ok...righteous man is in the house! He swoops down to save all the records from the grinch of records..Mr. Wingate. LOL..per comedy!

ok...righteous man is in the house! He swoops down to save all the records from the grinch of records..Mr. Wingate. LOL..per comedy!

i think you meant "pure" comedy. why are you taking it so personally?

• believe me, i am not taking any of what you say personal! Yeah, so I messed up with the correct wording. I am not at Harvard U. I went to the school of hard knocks. ever hear of it??!! I got a PH.D. LOL LOL LOL.

i see you DID, however, write the book on funk... that's pretty raw.

• aiight good comeback..not!! well, i see you got a sense of humor. cool, keep it coming sonny!!

what's that on the cover of your book?

• I went to the school of hard knocks. ever hear of it??!! I got a PH.D. LOL LOL LOL.

lamest shit

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ehhh...just to speak again to this "if you don't steal it, someone else will" argument that people keep making - as I pointed out in an earlier post, all the dope records at my station are OG copies, white label promos that have been there since they were sent to the station when new. That means that all those psych records have been sitting there for over 30 years, and nobody has stolen them yet. I'm not saying nothing has been stolen - one guy that used to work here is infamous for having cleaned out tons of good jazz records. But I don't see how I'm suppose to go, "oh, that ESP "Electric Newspaper" jawn has been left alone for 36 years, but I'm sure if I don't gank it now, sombody else will!"

Give me a break.

And this "stealing is cool because it's part of hip hop culture" shit is incredibly stupid, if not straight-up offensive. Yes, I used to rack cans back in the day. It's not the same thing.

• come on can't you do better than that????

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Post deleted by awall

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    here's another devil's advocate question:

would it be wrong to, say, replace a record library's copy of a rare LP with the scorpio reissue and keep the OG for yourself?

After all for radio purposes, wouldn't a clean reissue sound better?

anyone?

Not really, since in most cases, the Scorpio reissue is of inferior quality. I guess if you were to swipe, say, a VG+ white label mono Kinks "Village Green" and replace it with a mint stereo stock copy, and then make $100 of the mono copy on eBay, you might have an argument, but it is the old "slippery slope" as you know, since we already went over this when we discussed it in person at my station in the first place, which I assume is the reason you bring it up...

PS
    P, did you hear my show today? you have to check me out when I try to censor "Maggot Brain" by cutting out the feed when he says "drown in my own shit" but I did a hilariously bad job, so it goes: "drown in my own" - silence - "SHIT"

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    For all the bitching that has gone on in the past 2 pages, no one has discussed a viable solution to this. I think we all see it as a problem that isn't going to be solved by pushing morals

• forget about hiphop...does anybody have any thing to say about the fact that certain people on here hold certain views...( illegally buying radio promos then, illegally selling them at sky high prices is ok) but taking a few records( that never get played on the radio period) home with you to listen to...NOT to profit from is WRONG ??? i mean, i made nada from my "theft".. except listening pleasure.
    bottom line to me is...if you point fingers at people for this, but you yourself in some way profit off of an ILLEGAL act ( including downloading music) your in a different boat, but you are swimming in the same waters..with all the sharks..waiting.

• Maybe for you it's not the same, but for many people who did both it is! Racking shit is apart of Hip-Hop culture. Cats racked everything back in the day and still do. Where you been at? Yes, stealing is wrong. I am not trying to say it's not, but as a kid cats did whatever to "get up" or find that exclusive break. Again, you may not agree but that is the bottomline. The last time I checked I was an outstanding citizen with no arrest record and I believe my Karma is good. So ya'll worry about your own Karma and I'll keep racking those records. By the way, to the cat that thought I was corny for the school of hard knocks line..it was a joke. Ya'll are too uptight for own good.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    davidwingate

Shhhh...please? it's getting old...thanks...