Items jacked from your local radio library

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't think anyone can say "I would NEVER do this".

yes jeff there are a few things i would not do...

if you are playing the devils advocate thats fine

granted.
    wait, you guys would never get a mullet?

or you don't date gray hairs with mullets?

I have one, but would NEVER date one.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I said as a hip-hop cat I am only doing what mad graff artists did in the past..steal!!

...and people wonder why hip hop has gone to shit.

uhggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

PLAESE.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

iam very dissapointed in jeff for defending this type of behaviour

And yet, is it not pleasantly surprising that after 10,000+ posts, Jeff still has the capacity to disappoint?

• Stealing cans is where it starts for a lot of people. Hip-hop hasn't gone to shit by no means either. Mainstream has gone to shit but dope hip-hop still exists. Graffiti, Breaking, DJing and MCing still stand strong.

I think in graff you steal because when you bought shit it felt wack painting. Took out a lot of the fun. Stealing records is different to me though. When I used to take records I would only take them if I was short on $ or if I knew I was gonna use it on something else that same day.

iam very dissapointed in jeff for defending this type of behaviour

And yet, is it not pleasantly surprising that after 10,000+ posts, Jeff still has the capacity to disappoint?

I am diverse, much like Reynaldo's wardrobe

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Mainstream has gone to shit...

UUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHaaauuuhghhhh

plaese don't turn this into a "mainstream hip hop is wakka wakka" thread

pretty praese

• Mainstream has gone to shit...

UUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHaaauuuhghhhh

plaese don't turn this into a "mainstream hip hop is wakka wakka" thread

pretty praese

Nah I didn't mean all mainstream by no means. A lot of mainstream is dope IMO. I am just saying that that is what he is saying. But foreal a lot of mainstream has gone to shit.

• listen do you sell or buy promo records? do download music without paying? if so, then you're just as guilty!

No way, that's just fuckin' wrong. You steal a record from a library (radio or otherwise), that shit is gone, they aren't going to replace it. You've destroyed an unreplaceable resource. Those other things may slice 0.1?? from some label's pocket, but they can always get more money.

Agreed. The RIAA uses similar logic. They equate each downloaded album as a lost sale. It's the basis for the ridiculous numbers you see on their lawsuits. Of course, it's simply not true everybody who downloads an album would have bought it for $17 if they weren't presented with the opportunity for downloading. A lot of people use music trading as an outlet for other activities, such as keeping up with the latest releases, collecting a large number of albums, and even as a social outlet (sound familiar?). Downloading music has even been strongly linked to greater overall music purchasing among certain demographics and serving as an advertising vehicle. There have been multiple studies that demonstrate either no effect of downloading on music sales or an almost equalized effect from demographics downloading and buying at differing rates.

Conversely, stealing from a radio station prevents that music from ever being heard. Both are crimes of opportunity that are, strictly speaking, illegal. But which is worse? I don't see anything noble in stealing from radio stations.

...5 pages here we come!!

• hip-hop isn't wack because graff writers and record collectors sometimes steal..try telling tracy 168 or COPE that what they do/did makes hip-hop wack. for that matter try telling lord finesse, showbiz, the beatnuts or pete rock that what they did(steal records sometimes)makes hip hop wack. i respect everybody's opinion but this is not a moral issue. the cat that started this thread was simply asking what items have people jacked from their local radio library. that's it!

• listen do you sell or buy promo records? do download music without paying? if so, then you're just as guilty! what is all the noise about? why are people putting morals and God into this. U would think we were stealing welfare checks from old ladies or something??? Is all this anger because perhaps u guys didn't steal the records yourselves?! hmmmm..I wonder.

after reading everybodys rant on this topic, its funny to me that people want to play judge.

seriously! PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR RESALE !!! WHAT DO YOU THINK THAT MEANS ??? it means all you self righteous mu'fuckas that PROFIT OFF OF PROMO records, that are popping shit about this behavior NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR. YOUR A MIDDLE MAN MAKING ALOT MORE $$$$$ THAN THE RADIO STATION! OR THE ACTUAL ARTISTS/ LABELS PROMOS ARE FREE! so eat a dick cookie Also...mr.middleman IF YOU ARE SUCH A DOO GOODER, WHY ARE YOU SELLING THESE "RADIO PROMOS" ON EBAY?? YOU SHOULD BE SELLING THEM FOR NO MORE THAN WHAT YOU BOUGHT THEM FOR...BUT $$$ WINS AGAIN...HMMMM?
    IF YOU DOWNLOAD MUSIC FOR FREE DONT POINT THE FINGER....

im the guy that got into harvards station (amongst other stations) and guess what ...i took the records NOT TO MAKE $$$$ but to enjoy period. Listen, records i got were COVERED in dust not even shelved, infact joints like camille yarborough, headless hereos etc.. were sitting up on top of a shelf NOT filed for the past 20 years...never played period. College radio NEEDS to give me a SHOW i would personally transfer all vinyl i take to cd..THAT IS THE FORMAT NOW .I have no shame in my game, and for the record i dont believe in religion (..thats a whole nother topic) but spiritually ...im sure the creator of all will let this slide..
    Btw i started writing graff in 1983, and all that goes along w/ a hiphop lifestyle i pretty much subscribe to..not by choice..simply just living in it. Last time i went to a local library..to my surprise they had joints! I felt a bit guilty so i left some shit behind. Sad to say, i came back to get the rest...and they were GONE!!! THROWN AWAY for NOBODY to have... NICE RIGHT?! So fuck the dumb shit ...
    Aside from all that, i also drop $ 200 on a 45, $300 on an lp ive spent geeeeez on vinyl...so it evens the score doesnt it...

Conversely, stealing from a radio station prevents that music from ever being heard. Both are crimes of opportunity that are, strictly speaking, illegal. But which is worse? I don't see anything noble in stealing from radio stations.

but you guys who are arguing this point seem to be basing it on it not happening if not for (your name here) when, realistically, it is more a question of when not if. Most likely someone not taking Maceo & the Kings Men from UC** does not mean it will be enjoyed on the radio for millenia to come. It means someone else will take it, it will be donated, it will be sold for 2 bucks, it will be bought by AP for half what he can sell it for. This rational strikes me as unreasonabley idealistic.

• Word. From what you guys say it just seems like people are taking the records anyway. Why not take them yourself and leave a dub of it behind as I doubt the next person will.

When people are saying "take it while it's there" it's not an excuse for taking it more like reason for taking it.

I don't know.

listen do you sell or buy promo records? do download music without paying? if so, then you're just as guilty! what is all the noise about? why are people putting morals and God into this. U would think we were stealing welfare checks from old ladies or something??? Is all this anger because perhaps u guys didn't steal the records yourselves?! hmmmm..I wonder.

after reading everybodys rant on this topic, its funny to me that people want to play judge.

seriously! PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR RESALE !!! WHAT DO YOU THINK THAT MEANS ??? it means all you self righteous mu'fuckas that PROFIT OFF OF PROMO records, that are popping shit about this behavior NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR. YOUR A MIDDLE MAN MAKING ALOT MORE $$$$$ THAN THE RADIO STATION! OR THE ACTUAL ARTISTS/ LABELS PROMOS ARE FREE! so eat a dick cookie Also...mr.middleman IF YOU ARE SUCH A DOO GOODER, WHY ARE YOU SELLING THESE "RADIO PROMOS" ON EBAY?? YOU SHOULD BE SELLING THEM FOR NO MORE THAN WHAT YOU BOUGHT THEM FOR...BUT $$$ WINS AGAIN...HMMMM?

im the guy that got into harvards station (amongst other stations) and guess what ...i took the records NOT TO MAKE $$$$ but to enjoy period. Listen, records i got were COVERED in dust not even shelved, infact joints like camille yarborough, headless hereos etc.. were sitting up on top of a shelf NOT filed for the past 20 years...never played period. College radio NEEDS to give me a SHOW i would personally transfer all vinyl i take to cd..THAT IS THE FORMAT NOW .I have no shame in my game, and for the record i dont believe in religion (..thats a whole nother topic) but spiritually ...im sure the creator of all will let this slide..
    Btw i started writing graff in 1983, and all that goes along w/ a hiphop lifestyle i pretty much subscribe to..not by choice..simply just living in it. Last time i went to a local library..to my surprise they had joints! I felt a bit guilty so i left some shit behind. Sad to say, i came back to get the rest...and they were GONE!!! THROWN AWAY for NOBODY to have... NICE RIGHT?! So fuck the dumb shit ...
    Aside from all that, i also drop $ 200 on a 45, $300 on an lp ive spent geeeeez on vinyl...so it evens the score doesnt it...

what?

I don't really feel a way about the larger issue, but I am offended by your lack of logic.

It only "evens the score" if you're paying two and three hundred dollars to the parties that you had previously stolen from.

• listen do you sell or buy promo records? do download music without paying? if so, then you're just as guilty! what is all the noise about? why are people putting morals and God into this. U would think we were stealing welfare checks from old ladies or something??? Is all this anger because perhaps u guys didn't steal the records yourselves?! hmmmm..I wonder.

what?

what what??? which word did you not overstand????

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    its gotta be a fake

listen do you sell or buy promo records? do download music without paying? if so, then you're just as guilty! what is all the noise about? why are people putting morals and God into this. U would think we were stealing welfare checks from old ladies or something??? Is all this anger because perhaps u guys didn't steal the records yourselves?! hmmmm..I wonder.

what?

what what??? which word did you not overstand????

awesome!

• Aside from all that, i also drop $ 200 on a 45, $300 on an lp ive spent geeeeez on vinyl...so it evens the score doesnt it...

I don't really feel a way about the larger issue, but I am offended by your lack of logic.

It only "evens the score" if you're paying two and three hundred dollars to the parties that you had previously stolen from.

why is that..? why is it ok for people to buy promos (THAT ARE ILLEGAL TO RE SELL)for $2.00 then sell them for $500.?? fuck that whos the real thief???

• I think PROMO records are ok to sell. Why not? I think it is also ok to buy them. I know you aren't gonna front that you never bought a promo record ever.

why is that..? why is it ok for people to buy promos (THAT ARE ILLEGAL TO RE SELL)for $2.00 then sell them for $500.?? fuck that whos the real thief???

Im going to go with the person who sneaks into the Harvard Radio Station and steals their LPs on this one.

• puppup 133 Posts
    listen do you sell or buy promo records? do download music without paying? if so, then you're just as guilty!

No way, that's just fuckin' wrong. You steal a record from a library (radio or otherwise), that shit is gone, they aren't going to replace it. You've destroyed an unreplaceable resource. Those other things may slice 0.1?? from some label's pocket, but they can always get more money.

co-sign!!!

Having spent several years around two different college stations (KZSU and UCLARadio.com), nothing is worse than seeing public resources raped by selfish assholes who think jacking is the same as digging.

Did I say something about the promo issue?

• I haven't jacked them but got them for 1$ each while my school was selling all their old vinyl records:

Baby Huey "Living Legend" (Canada, 1971)
    Kool & The Gang "Music Is The Message" (Canada, 1971)
    Kool & The Gang "Good Times" (Canada, 1973)
    Kool & The Gang "Kool Jazz" (Canada, 1974)

A friend of mine in Ontario even found a bunch of FELA KUTI's at his University in a same event.

• i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations? as a friend of mine just said to me, whether it's racking records or cans of paint the bottomline is that Hip-Hop was bulit off of oppression and not having anything. so therefore, cats stole paint and racked records had to in order to create and innovate..ask bam, flash, and jazzy jay..true pioneers of this shite!! i dare anyone to call bam or flash a thief.

• I think PROMO records are ok to sell. Why not? I think it is also ok to buy them. I know you aren't gonna front that you never bought a promo record ever.
    i agree, im not the one with the problem...im just reminding fools..that its illegal to do so. another words
    when you think your so righteous for not jacking promos, how is it that you remain "righteous" for illegally selling/buying them?

• i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations? as a friend of mine just said to me, whether it's racking records or cans of paint the bottomline is that Hip-Hop was bulit off of oppression and not having anything. so therefore, cats stole paint and racked records had to in order to create and innovate..ask bam, flash, and jazzy jay..true pioneers of this shite!! i dare anyone to call bam or flash a thief.

If you stole something you are a thief just that there is no point in caring about it. They did it and it kept the art alive. No money so you have to rack if you want it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations? as a friend of mine just said to me, whether it's racking records or cans of paint the bottomline is that Hip-Hop was bulit off of oppression and not having anything. so therefore, cats stole paint and racked records had to in order to create and innovate..ask bam, flash, and jazzy jay..true pioneers of this shite!! i dare anyone to call bam or flash a thief.
    this entire psuedo-paragraph is not only short sighted, but totally fucking dumb.

i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations?

It is also interesting to note that the practice of tracking down old musicians/producers & offering them pennies for their stashes of raer IS NOT hatted on here.

That is "the game".

i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations?

It is also interesting to note that the practice of tracking down old musicians/producers & offering them pennies for their stashes of raer IS NOT hatted on here.

That is "the game".

why even offer that, just sneak into their houses and steal the fucking things, they're just sitting in there getting dusty anyways.

woo-hooo! page 4!