Items jacked from your local radio library

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    leaving crazy records around at a radio station for SOMEONE ELSE TO STEAL is just foolish.
    wow, totally. department stores leave shit just laying around the exact same way!

haha. One Saturday, while cleaning up at the radio station I worked at, I found a copy of this just laying around on top of a crate of French pop music. Stone mint, no call letters, no comments, nothing. I put it in a plastic sleeve and filed it away. The following Wednesday I came in to do my show, and started flipping through the jazz section with the intentions of playing it, but it was gone, never to be seen again. So, take from that what you will.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This is the third thread I have seen about this in the past 6 months. I am always so disappointed to see the usual moral guardians of SoulStrut so ready to bless the stealing of radio station library records. Personally, I think it is just about the lamest thing you can do. Hello? Stealing from a library[/b]?? Do you people not see what a fucked up move this is? Perfect timing, as I just finished my radio show 10 minutes ago, and just put back the LP's I had used from our library. I am typing this from studio B of my station. I was checking out some cool psych LP's while I was in there, thinking I might use them on my next show. That is, unless one of you assholes steals them first.

Steal them before somebody else does!

• but, we do not all have the resources that you do.

what does this mean? is this like when the Mack said " come one dude your a baller! over pay me for this record dude! ".

i dont get it. you can do whatever you want. call some dying record producer or something. borrow some money and score. i dont run things.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Plus God puts more raers in my lap for cheap this way.

you Xian doggie?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Next thing you know people will be stealing from a Salvation Army or something!

I've been givin' records from a University and radio. Really I should be pledging more to their donation drives.

Don't get me wrong. Do whatever you gotta do. But I hope for karmas sake, you make amends in someway.

• Plus God puts more raers in my lap for cheap this way.

you Xian doggie?

non-demomonational jew with eastern relegious and philosophical tendencies and yes i am down with the teachings of jesus too.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This is the third thread I have seen about this in the past 6 months.
    Damn, I never intended this to be a thread discussing the moral consequences of stealing. I just wanted to hear some heist stories. I guess it was enevital though.

I think radio stations are an amazing tool to get to know and understand music. After all, most community/campus radio stations are great places to volunteer/work and learn a lot about music you might not have a chance to listen to. As well, they exist to drop the gems on the masses where corporate radio stations are too busy airing out the Ja and 50 beef.

However, I think it's bad argumentation to use God and Morals as a base level. I'm an atheist, so it's easy for me to say that. But think about it, there are records people want that are expensive. Usually those radio stations have little to no security.

Man, do you leave laptop's laying around in Mall cafeteria's? And if someone you know did that, and it was stolen, would you be like "Yo man! People in this world are crazy! Damn, if only they believed in God!@$@#@" Or would you say "shouldn't have left that shit out in the Mall buttcock".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Also... That Billy Brooks record sucks.

ap

Can I have yours for 15.99?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    but, we do not all have the resources that you do.

what does this mean? is this like when the Mack said " come one dude your a baller! over pay me for this record dude! ".

i dont get it. you can do whatever you want. call some dying record producer or something. borrow some money and score. i dont run things.

Look, like I said, I've never stolen any records from any radio station or anywhere else.

But, anthony, you are in the position to get the call when a radio station wants to liquidate their vinyl & you can afford to pay them a fair price. I think that is great. it is a win win situation. I am just saying that this is not something that most people can do.

• Also... That Billy Brooks record sucks.

ap

Can I have yours for 15.99?

sorry i filped it for $350.

• anthony, i am not talking about throwing beer bottles at people. i am talking about stealing records. again, apples and oranges duke. I am pretty sure we are close in age, and like I said as a hip-hop cat I am only doing what mad graff artists did in the past..steal!! they racked cans of paint to creat some of the most beautiful works of art I have ever seen. Others like myself (some of them famous hip-hop producers) have stolen records from some of the same radio stations I have and have created some of the illest Hip-Hop songs. nuff said. by the way, so what the Billy Brooks sucks?! And?!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    true, but ask an old graff writer about rackin' cans. to me, it is the same way for us. back then i didn't have even ten dollars to spend on records. and those that i took had the worst comments and complaints written all over them by many people in the past. so they weren't even appreciating the stuff anyway...cool cause I am!!

indiana university sold off all their wax for like a dollar a pop back when i lived there... all the records i copped had the most hilariously negative comments written on the sleeves.. pure comedy.

now i dont know about stealing though.. i spent a number of years doing college radio with my buddies back in Halifax.. the library was great and definatly a fun as hell place to hang out.. we would often use the library to go grab things from.. it was especially great when dudes called in with requests or if you got called in to do a fill in show... or hell one time we just played all the worst hair metal records we could find in there.

i never took anything home with me.. everything always got refiled.. but i would be very surpised to see the library in the same state now.. if there's even any wax left in there.

• Man, do you leave laptop's laying around in Mall cafeteria's? And if someone you know did that, and it was stolen, would you be like "Yo man! People in this world are crazy! Damn, if only they believed in God!@$@#@" Or would you say "shouldn't have left that shit out in the Mall buttcock".

more fantastic justifications for stealing shit that doesn't belong to you!

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I've neither stolen from a radio library or Salvation Army, but I would feel lees bad about the latter. I don't want to start any sort of anti-gay or post-hurricane debate, but I always feel guilty supporting their thrift stores and all. My few, feeble radio station gets were authorized by the program director (who shortly thereafter quit his long-time job to become a motorcycle mechanic).

Usually those radio stations have little to no security.

Man, do you leave laptop's laying around in Mall cafeteria's? And if someone you know did that, and it was stolen, would you be like "Yo man! People in this world are crazy! Damn, if only they believed in God!@$@#@" Or would you say "shouldn't have left that shit out in the Mall buttcock".

This is complegtely retarded. Items filed in a library are not "lying around." Just because there isn't an armed guard standing there, it means they have been recklessly stored?? What the fuck are you talking about?? Look, it's one thing if people want to say, "I steal shit because I want to. Deal with it." At least that makes sense on some level. Trying to make excuses like "yo they should put guard dogs on that shit, otherwise, it's up for grabs" is just straight retarded.

Just another thought...

I work at a major University and the amount of theft that goes on around here is crazy. I'm now starting to understand why tuition is so high. I'm a techie and our department is so under funded. We get excited when we get new VGA cables...

Also, I can remember back to high school. Someone stole a good portion of the CD/LP catalogue for our high school radio station. That was the end of that... The school put in a jukebox and there's never been a DJ show since...

• I've neither stolen from a radio library or Salvation Army, but I would feel lees bad about the latter. I don't want to start any sort of anti-gay or post-hurricane debate, but I always feel guilty supporting their thrift stores and all. My few, feeble radio station gets were authorized by the program director (who shortly thereafter quit his long-time job to become a motorcycle mechanic).

what the fuck is this guy talking about

• but, we do not all have the resources that you do.

Look, like I said, I've never stolen any records from any radio station or anywhere else.

But, anthony, you are in the position to get the call when a radio station wants to liquidate their vinyl & you can afford to pay them a fair price. I think that is great. it is a win win situation. I am just saying that this is not something that most people can do.

it was great how i just happened to be put in that position... i am so blessed. one day i just woke up and was the man. i never had to work any 18 hour days or anything or risk my ass, deal with fuckheads, front my money, overextend my finances or break my ass wide open lifting crates.

good thing phonographic records are so lite and easy to transport and are always in mint condition. and the people who sell them to me are the least nurotic people out there too!

what a cakewalk!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    i'm smelling 5 pages...

naaaawww, I think this topic gets rehashed too often to get that far.

Stealing from college radio stations is beyond lame, most of the "reasons" given in this thread are actually just weak excuses, "Somebody else will steal it anyway", "Radio Stations don't care", "I'm angry at my University because they won't let me count my two unit Semiotic Deconstruction of the Films of the Three Stooges seminar towards my Quantum Hydroponics degree".

For the most part, those records are there because of the loving effort of generations of volunteers who's only payment is love of music. Lot's of people become members and leaders of stations, and some of them are sukkas but there's a lot of folks who will do far more for a recording than Johnny Littlecrates will ever do by jacking it into their own seldom heard collection.

but, we do not all have the resources that you do.

it was great how i just happened to be put in that position... i am so blessed. one day i just woke up and was the man. i never had to work any 18 hour days or anything or risk my ass, deal with fuckheads, front my money, overextend my finances or break my ass wide open lifting crates.

good thing phonographic records are so lite and easy to transport and are always in mint condition. and the people who sell them to me are the least nurotic people out there too!

what a cakewalk!

See?

I've neither stolen from a radio library or Salvation Army, but I would feel lees bad about the latter. I don't want to start any sort of anti-gay or post-hurricane debate, but I always feel guilty supporting their thrift stores and all. My few, feeble radio station gets were authorized by the program director (who shortly thereafter quit his long-time job to become a motorcycle mechanic).

The Salvation Army thing goes back to a thread 6-12 months ago...

I remember the original Castelli Graphics copy of Lewis Baltz The New Industrial Parks at Irvine California monograph sitting in the stacks at CCAC back in the mid 90's. I used to check it out of the Library for weeks at a time. Back then it was a $250 book. Today it is a $1200 book. I am certain it is not sitting there anymore.

this is a great example

i used to sign out the collected issues of Archigram from the artschool library constantly.. i had it constantly renewned for about 3 years... when we moved to indiana to go to grad school i found the book there in the library, and thanks to my wifes grad school status was able to sign it out for like 6 months at a time... this went on for a few years and then one day my homie who worked at Barnes & Noble was like "hey man i saw that Archigram book on a list of deadstocks and copped it for you"

so there you go.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'm not justifying it, I don't have "morals". I don't see anything "wrong" with it and therefore no need to justify it. I don't fuck with the mysticism. Philisophically I'm a materialist.

I'm trying to put things into perspective. That the situation with radio libraries is very volatile and easilly exploited. We can argue this point until infinity and it won't matter because at the end of the day the material interests of human beings will over ride any innate moral thought and a percentage of people will continue to jack records.

I think a better solution would be for governments and communities to invest in backing up radio station libraries onto digital. Then radio stations can sell records for fundraisers (much like the heatrock sales). And if people were pissed off because they couldn't get those records for cheaper (i.e. by stealing) then what they are really saying is they don't support colledge/community radio which is a shame.

• I remember the original Castelli Graphics copy of Lewis Baltz The New Industrial Parks at Irvine California monograph sitting in the stacks at CCAC back in the mid 90's. I used to check it out of the Library for weeks at a time. Back then it was a $250 book. Today it is a $1200 book. I am certain it is not sitting there anymore.

this is a great example

i used to sign out the collected issues of Archigram from the artschool library constantly.. i had it constantly renewned for about 3 years... when we moved to indiana to go to grad school i found the book there in the library, and thanks to my wifes grad school status was able to sign it out for like 6 months at a time... this went on for a few years and then one day my homie who worked at Barnes & Noble was like "hey man i saw that Archigram book on a list of deadstocks and copped it for you"

so there you go.

i'm sick to my stomach.

• more fantastic justifications for stealing shit that doesn't belong to you!

i only steal shit that belongs to me.

what the fuck is this guy talking about

that's some funny shit.

quantum hydroponics

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I gotta go with AP here:
    I like my Karma clean.

Stealing is fucked, especially when you are doing the five-finger discount to a socially beneficial institution like a public university...I feel that it's a slippery slope to other questionable behavior...BUT don't get it twisted: I'm on that Robinhood shit: stealing from the rich and giving to the poor...but stealing from any sort of public education/library system is hugely pathetic...all of the sudden the ONE socially cooperative and socially benefiticial institution that the U.S. has becomes marred with your self-interest...and that my friends is exactly what those big-wig execs doctoring their books do: steal from the little guy because of their self-interest. Leave the record there, humble yourself, go out and work, and PAY for your shit...

my two cents,
    gNAT

i'm sick to my stomach.

their architectural styles too far out for you??

i'm smelling 5 pages...

naaaawww, I think this topic gets rehashed too often to get that far.

Stealing from college radio stations is beyond lame, most of the "reasons" given in this thread are actually just weak excuses, "Somebody else will steal it anyway", "Radio Stations don't care", "I'm angry at my University because they won't let me count my two unit Semiotic Deconstruction of the Films of the Three Stooges seminar towards my Quantum Hydroponics degree".

For the most part, those records are there because of the loving effort of generations of volunteers who's only payment is love of music. Lot's of people become members and leaders of stations, and some of them are sukkas but there's a lot of folks who will do far more for a recording than Johnny Littlecrates will ever do by jacking it into their own seldom heard collection.

Co-Sign, Co-Sign & Co-sign.

My station has been around since the late 60's. For all the amazing records that I know have been stolen from here, I still find things like a copy of JB's "Breaking Bread" with the "Entered: June 1970" or whatever sticker on it. I have found $500 Psych LP's looking as if they haven't been played in 20 years. I am honest enough to admit that I get a flash in my mind of "wow I could totally flip this, pay my cable bill and car insurance, and nobody would ever know." But instead, I slip out the back door, smoke a bowl, and then go back in and listen to it on headphones and think how nice it is to have this resource. Maybe 20 years from now some kid will have the same impeccable taste as I, and enjoy the same moment. Or, maybe some jackass will steal it next week. But it ain't gonna be me.

this makes me feel kinda bad for supporting this bad behavior. But still, if my library had stark reality I'd take it. Perhaps i'll pay in hell, but if Curtis Mayfield is right, I'll be there with you guys bragging about how I one & you didn't

nener nener nener!

• i'm sick to my stomach.

their architectural styles too far out for you??

no, your story was ill.