Items jacked from your local radio library

Comments

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    "I'm angry at my University because they won't let me count my two unit Semiotic Deconstruction of the Films of the Three Stooges seminar towards my Quantum Hydroponics degree".

Genius...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

i'm sick to my stomach.

their architectural styles too far out for you??

no, your story was ill.

word

Patience people

it seems to be the one virtue you almost never hear about anymore..

ESPECIALLY when relating to record collectors.

• i'm sick to my stomach.

their architectural styles too far out for you??

no, your story was ill.

word

Patience people

it seems to be the one virtue you almost never hear about anymore..

ESPECIALLY when relating to record collectors.

Definitely. Things come around.

The number of records I've got from treating people decently far outnumber the potential records I could have gotten by ripping them off. I'm sorry if that's not very ruthless or hip-hop.

If you don't acquire a $400 record THIS WEEK that you didn't even know existed until LAST WEEK your head won't explode and your life will go on.

• If you don't acquire a $400 record THIS WEEK that you didn't even know existed until LAST WEEK your head won't explode and your life will go on.

my name is marco from italy.

i like tribe.

if i do not get raer my life will be problem.

please get me raer funk.

i need your help tonight.

please tocuh my life with funk.

latr.

marco

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I don't think going around telling people it's bad is going to make any concrete change.

It's probably more constructive to talk about solutions.

I.E.!!!

I think a better solution would be for governments and communities to invest in backing up radio station libraries onto digital. Then radio stations can sell records for fundraisers (much like the heatrock sales). And if people were pissed off because they couldn't get those records for cheaper (i.e. by stealing) then what they are really saying is they don't support colledge/community radio which is a shame.

Thoughts?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    one day i just woke up and was the man.

Make that your location now.

I used to have a show on KSCU when I was a young pup and I would borrow records for shows because I had nothing for a collection, but I always brought it back. I had a 3-6 AM show so I could have easily robbed the place blind, but nah, that ain't cool.

There was one guy who had a show and he'd always be bragging about the records he stole. I gave him a hard time about it because it meant there was less records for me to play or anyone to play on their show. I did the show for my discovery of records. I had been a DJ for a whopping 2 months before arriving at college so I was clueless about everything. I would spend an hour or 2 before my show just browsing through what was there and all the time I would find something cool and see it disappear the next week. Not awesome.

DJ Ferrari

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Just so I come off as more "well rounded", I would also take the "hard rock & folk" records in question.

• just collect black soul funk sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i dont have radio show!!!!!!! and dont have time to play or dj'S 90 per cent of my spare time is taken to collect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 not vto play what i collect!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just collecting!!!!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    here's another devil's advocate question:

would it be wrong to, say, replace a record library's copy of a rare LP with the scorpio reissue and keep the OG for yourself?

After all for radio purposes, wouldn't a clean reissue sound better?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

After all for radio purposes, wouldn't a clean reissue sound better?

in my experince every good record i've ever found in a radio station library was stone mint unplayed.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Thanks dood

<---------------

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Awwww shit - and all this time I've been buying records like a chump!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    but, we do not all have the resources that you do.

what does this mean? is this like when the Mack said " come one dude your a baller! over pay me for this record dude! ".
    wow, are you really sore about that man? it was obviously a joking comment. and i really wasnt trying to make you overpay. i have no clue what the record is worth. i liested it at $30 on my set sale and you offered me $20 for it, which is $10 less than what i listed it as.

• more fantastic justifications for stealing shit that doesn't belong to you![/b]

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    you gets no burrito, doggie

• more fantastic justifications for stealing shit that doesn't belong to you![/b]

yeah, i wouldnt let some of you douds in my place

"ah man, he never listens to this record, i should just take it."

iam very dissapointed in jeff for defending this type of behaviour

• I'm simply glad that the station I work at doesn't have any crazy rare pieces - I don't really mess with the library, just bring in purely my own stuff. Bottom line is that there will always be people pilfering shit, but the less of those people there are the better. Record karma is a REAL thing. Reject the illicit tempation of raers, and they will come crawling back to you...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    in the four years that i worked in college radio the only people who were ever interested in the vinyl catalog were myself, my predecessor and my two cohosts. everything we had was relatively recent hip hop because (as a direct result of this mentality), a few years prior the 30 odd year old catalog was thrown out/given away by knownot assholes who didn't take advantage of those records when they had them and didn't think they were worth any money.

when i left, i left it to djs who did not own records, did not care about records, did not play records. the guy who took my job pretty much waits until the record cabinets fill up and then takes crates of them to cd/game exchange and uses the credit to buy ill bill cds.

did i take records with me? of course i did. best case scenario they'd still be sitting on shelves unappreciated. worst case scenario they'd be traded in for 25 cents in store credit (or worse ebay sales) or just thrown out. it was all relatively recent shit, but you better believe if there were raers up in there i'd be jacking them as well.

i am very dissapointed in jeff for defending this type of behaviour

me? I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think the last time this topic came up I argued against it. I wouldn't really take anything from a library. I just get annoyed with people who are clearly on their hypothetical high-horses. there are numerous circumstances involved & I don't think anyone can say "I would NEVER do this".

• listen do you sell or buy promo records? do download music without paying? if so, then you're just as guilty! what is all the noise about? why are people putting morals and God into this. U would think we were stealing welfare checks from old ladies or something??? Is all this anger because perhaps u guys didn't steal the records yourselves?! hmmmm..I wonder.

• I don't think anyone can say "I would NEVER do this".

yes jeff there are a few things i would not do...

if you are playing the devils advocate thats fine

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

i am very dissapointed in jeff for defending this type of behaviour

me? I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think the last time this topic came up I argued against it. I wouldn't really take anything from a library. I just get annoyed with people who are clearly on their hypothetical high-horses. there are numerous circumstances involved & I don't think anyone can say "I would NEVER do this".

Like I said in my first post. If it's something you need to do, I ain't trashing you for it. I just hope you make up for it (10 X over) in other ways.

The only thing that does kinda get to me tho, is when someone talks (brags) about it. It's kinda like going to jail and talking about how you stole candy from a baby... I'm not casting stones at anyone in this thread mind you. I'm no angel.

would someone please make a list of the things that are okay for me to steal. So far I have records are okay if from a school or radio station, but only sometimes okay if from the Salvation Army, and old ladies welfare checks are deffinately not okay. what else?

Here is a somewhat similar ethical dilema I was once involved in to ponder...

I used to work at a rather large indie record shop. I never knew the owners, but I always heard they were involved in shady business (they were later closed down for selling pirated CDs/videos) but that is really neither here nor there. Anyhow, they used to get a ton of promo CDs, right? I mean, it was a record shop. So, what did they do with them? they sold them straight from the gate. the day a new CD came out (sometimes sooner) we had used copies for sale. We also bought used stuff & every morning my friend who was the manager would go through & take anything rare to sell at the Pasadena record show. Usually he was nice if he knew you wanted something, but sometimes he relished gloating. So, most everyone, myself included, figured out that if you wanted anything used that came in you had to take it while you had the chance. same with promos (that we were supposed to get anyway.)

Is there a moral? I have no idea. I don't consider myself a theif. Do I jack records from my friends houses? Of course not. I never stole new records/cds, but yes, this was stealing.

Viva 5 pages!

• I don't know if I would take anything from my radio station. They don't have shit to begin with. A guy came and told us he put about 100 LPs but they weren't shit. If I see something there I doubt anybody else will take it. The people on the radio there seem to not care about anything but "classic" rock and shit.

Also would it be wrong to take the vinyl and transfer it to CD since they mainly use CDs anyways??

Oh well. Either way if I see something good I'm taking it. People into music on vinyl are dying out at my community college.

I don't think anyone can say "I would NEVER do this".

granted.

BTW: Mom used to be pretty, really.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    listen do you sell or buy promo records? do download music without paying? if so, then you're just as guilty!

No way, that's just fuckin' wrong. You steal a record from a library (radio or otherwise), that shit is gone, they aren't going to replace it. You've destroyed an unreplaceable resource. Those other things may slice 0.1?? from some label's pocket, but they can always get more money.

its all stealing, but i dont think any of us are going to hell because of it.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I don't think anyone can say "I would NEVER do this".

granted.
    wait, you guys would never get a mullet?
    or you don't date gray hairs with mullets?

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    I said as a hip-hop cat I am only doing what mad graff artists did in the past..steal!!

...and people wonder why hip hop has gone to shit.