Items jacked from your local radio library

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    bottom line to me is...if you point fingers at people for this, but you yourself in some way profit off of an ILLEGAL act ( including downloading music) your in a different boat, but you are swimming in the same waters..with all the sharks..waiting.

Except that not one person on here actually said they do this - you just started ranting about it for no reason.

• if this getting old why is there a 4 page thread about it? I'll say this "To each his own."

• Maybe for you it's not the same, but for many people who did both it is! Racking shit is apart of Hip-Hop culture. Cats racked everything back in the day and still do. Where you been at? Yes, stealing is wrong. I am not trying to say it's not, but as a kid cats did whatever to "get up" or find that exclusive break. Again, you may not agree but that is the bottomline. The last time I checked I was an outstanding citizen with no arrest record and I believe my Karma is good. So ya'll worry about your own Karma and I'll keep racking those records. By the way, to the cat that thought I was corny for the school of hard knocks line..it was a joke. Ya'll are too uptight for own good.

ban this retard please...

stealing is part of hip hop?
    stealing is cool if your a kid?
    stealing is cool if you don't get caught?
    your "karma" is cool if you don't get caught for doing the wrong thing?

your ethics are

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I think PROMO records are ok to sell. Why not? I think it is also ok to buy them. I know you aren't gonna front that you never bought a promo record ever.
    i agree, im not the one with the problem...im just reminding fools..that its illegal to do so. another words

when you think your so righteous for not jacking promos, how is it that you remain "righteous" for illegally selling/buying them?

Actually, I believe there's a statute of limitations at work here that allows the re-sale of promo items older than 20-25 years. This is why radio stations can have record sales, and ex-radio DJs can auction off their collections.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Maybe for you it's not the same, but for many people who did both it is! Racking shit is apart of Hip-Hop culture. Cats racked everything back in the day and still do. Where you been at? Yes, stealing is wrong. I am not trying to say it's not, but as a kid cats did whatever to "get up" or find that exclusive break. Again, you may not agree but that is the bottomline. The last time I checked I was an outstanding citizen with no arrest record and I believe my Karma is good. So ya'll worry about your own Karma and I'll keep racking those records. By the way, to the cat that thought I was corny for the school of hard knocks line..it was a joke. Ya'll are too uptight for own good.

okay, now you're getting somewhere. your second sentence is borderline racist, do you see that? i can't wait until you get to explain to your children that the only way they're going to succeed in life is to steal/cheat. i don't think anyone would agree with you on that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Dawg, he's just "keepin' it real."

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think PROMO records are ok to sell. Why not? I think it is also ok to buy them. I know you aren't gonna front that you never bought a promo record ever.
    i agree, im not the one with the problem...im just reminding fools..that its illegal to do so. another words

when you think your so righteous for not jacking promos, how is it that you remain "righteous" for illegally selling/buying them?

Actually, I believe there's a statute of limitations at work here that allows the re-sale of promo items older than 20-25 years. This is why radio stations can have record sales, and ex-radio DJs can auction off their collections.

thank you!

I was just about to bring this up. Old promos are just records.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    man our radio staition got everything swiped. A ot of jazz records get taken, but mostly hiphop recdords. Almost all teh BDP's and Bran Nubian records got swiped. K Solo's "Ya Moms In Our Business" 12" Gangstarr's Jazz Thing" 12" Lord Finess and main Source records. Most of the De la stuff too-"Celar lake EP. So we've been heisted.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    FuKK that promo talk shit.

First off, Promos are given[/b] to you. If you sell it, I don't think it's like stealing from your college radio. It's not like ur walking into Def Jam and taking promos off someone's desk. I have yet to know of a DJ or anyone else that gave a promo back to a label after they were done with it. If you wanna sell it... Go for it!!!

2nd - For the most part... I believe that in alot of cases, labels put promo on a record to create hype. This got way over done in the 90's when house labels put it on pressings they were selling, just because people wanted to cop a promo of almost everything put out. They wouldn't even bother with and official release!

I've dealt with alot of labels in my day. If u think it's just low end people in the office making money off selling promo's.. Or a record store selling promos, you are wrong...

As far as downloading. I'm conflicted on the whole deal. I guess I don't think of it as stealing because it's not a tangible product I'm getting. But I think it really it has to do with my thoughts that the music business model needs a major change of the way things are done. But in any case, I do it. I'm a bad person. I'm dealing with it ever day! I went to my first mp3 anonymous meeting last week.

• I disagree with racking from radio stations, but I gotta agree with Amir that stealing was more or less part of hip-hop's origins. Stealing breaks, records, equipment, coming up and making a buck.

But hip-hop is about these duplicities. I don't smack hos on they asses or whatever either.

PS: y'all know who Amir is, right??

• btw
    i think we know eachother
    i simply pointed out that, a certain person on here, thinks its morally wrong to steal records from radio stations, meanwhile has made mad $$$$$$$$$$ by re- selling on ebay. imo thats real thievery.Maybe hes upset that there wont be any records at the radio station left..so he wont be able to make $$$$ off them..hmmmm
    fuck re selling on ebay why not allow us to buy at reasonable set sale rates? example: i bet all of you would want to buy records from me, like mulatus, and starks, and all heavy shit...EVEN if you knew i got them from a station. So for some its ok...as long as there is a price tag on the vinyl...??!!! how many of you would be like.."oh man i dunno know howd you get these? did you buy them for $1 or did you steal them?" i mean seriously..if im buying them for $1 and selling to you for $300 whos the thief? or more or less whos the fool? not much of a difference between free and say .50 cents..
    lets not get it twisted, there are degrees..in the scale of crime..ive never jacked my people for records.
    lets see this go to 10 pages .

• now this has gotten waaaay out of hand. I am not a racist by any means. i wasn't refering to anybody's race or class for that matter. just because i happen to disagree with some of this board about steaing records from a radio station doesn't mean I should be banned. even if i did say something that is to you ridiculous. i am not trying to 'keep it real.' i am just expressing my opinion. i love hip-hop and have apart of hip-hop culture for over 25 years. for real, all of ya'll need to chill. i am grown man and i refuse to be called a racist especially after the many times in my life I have been called n***a! nuff said. i won't post on this topic again.

• example: i bet all of you would want to buy records from me, like mulatus, and starks, and all heavy shit...EVEN if you knew i got them from a station. So for some its ok...as long as there is a price tag on the vinyl...??!!! how many of you would be like.."oh man i dunno know howd you get these? did you buy them for $1 or did you steal them?"

. I think that is a really good point. If he were to offer them to you at half the market value who wouldn't buy them?

Also Magic Jackson...

How in the hell did his second sentence remotely sound rascist?

• FuKK that promo talk shit.

First off, Promos are given[/b] to you. If you sell it, I don't think it's like stealing from your college radio. It's not like ur walking into Def Jam and taking promos off someone's desk. I have yet to know of a DJ or anyone else that gave a promo back to a label after they were done with it. If you wanna sell it... Go for it!!! go tell that to def jam.it is illegal to re sell promos.they make no $ your wrong, trust me

2nd - For the most part... I believe that in alot of cases, labels put promo on a record to create hype. This got way over done in the 90's when house labels put it on pressings they were selling, just because people wanted to cop a promo of almost everything put out. They wouldn't even bother with and official release!

wrong again, promos are stamped to escape troubles for not clearing samples etc.. ask armand van helden.

I've dealt with alot of labels in my day. If u think it's just low end people in the office making money off selling promo's.. Or a record store selling promos, you are wrong...
    i did not dis agree

As far as downloading. I'm conflicted on the whole deal. I guess I don't think of it as stealing because it's not a tangible product I'm getting. But I think it really it has to do with my thoughts that the music business model needs a major change of the way things are done. But in any case, I do it. I'm a bad person. I'm dealing with it ever day! I went to my first mp3 anonymous meeting last week.

as somebody who myself has been bootlegged, i know im not seeing that $$! my mixes are all over the internet being shared for FREE. if i could count how many times my shits been booted, id have alot of $$

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    I disagree with racking from radio stations, but I gotta agree with Amir that stealing was more or less part of hip-hop's origins. Stealing breaks, records, equipment, coming up and making a buck.

But hip-hop is about these duplicities. I don't smack hos on they asses or whatever either.

davidwingate is Amir? from Kon and Amir?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I disagree with racking from radio stations, but I gotta agree with Amir that stealing was more or less part of hip-hop's origins. Stealing breaks, records, equipment, coming up and making a buck.

Somewhat related story:

I've become casual friends with an antique store owner out here in Detroit who grew up in Cinci. When he was a kid, he used to attend battle of the bands concerts that featured Roger and the Human Body, Bootsey's early band the House Guests, etc. In any case, my friend, **e** tells me that at one point in the late 60's (he's not too good with dates) his older brother and friends broke into a music store, stole all the instruments, amps etc. and handed them out to kids in the neighborhood. **e** recalls seeing kids just walking down the street jamming on Gibsons and Fenders for months and months after the robbery, and he insists that without these stolen instruments groups like the House Guests and 400 Years of What never would have existed.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Man, do you leave laptop's laying around in Mall cafeteria's? And if someone you know did that, and it was stolen, would you be like "Yo man! People in this world are crazy! Damn, if only they believed in God!@$@#@" Or would you say "shouldn't have left that shit out in the Mall buttcock".

Stealing is stealing. A person who finds a laptop in a mall may very well gain rights to the laptop second only to the true owner's. If Anthony is that true owner, the person who finds the laptop is obliged to give it back to him. If the person refuses, they're stealing. Your personal morality is immaterial; this is the law.

Now what really matters is that the scenario above is in no way analogous to records in a library. The library has a manifest intention to control the records in their stacks. If you take one of these records and don't return it you're stealing. Again, it's the law. And this is one of those happy occurrences where the law and the morality coincide. So keep your inane rationalising to yourself; stealing is stealing is stealing. You're either comfortable doing something that is or morally wrong and illegal, or you're not.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    example: i bet all of you would want to buy records from me, like mulatus, and starks, and all heavy shit...EVEN if you knew i got them from a station. So for some its ok...as long as there is a price tag on the vinyl...??!!! how many of you would be like.."oh man i dunno know howd you get these? did you buy them for $1 or did you steal them?"

. I think that is a really good point. If he were to offer them to you at half the market value who wouldn't buy them?

Also Magic Jackson...

why do you want to get into this now? didn't you catch enough heat on here, stealing from goodwill? just go back to it, or PM me and i'll explain it to you. don't forget to jack them fools coming out of the food bank...

• I have taken records from a station library here, I wasnt supposed to, but my buddy is a DJ there and they were letting the DJs take records as they were clearing the vinyl racks for space...he let me come to the station when no one else was there and go through them..so I guess my sitch is a grey area...but the records I found were the "I wouldnt be able to sleep knowing I left those behind" type:

Roy Meriwether "Nubian Lady"
    Steve Reid "rhythmatism"
    Steve Reid "Nova"
    Ivan "Boogaloo" Jones "Sweetback"

just to name a few

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Somewhat related story:

I've become casual friends with an antique store owner out here in Detroit who grew up in Cinci. When he was a kid, he used to attend battle of the bands concerts that featured Roger and the Human Body, Bootsey's early band the House Guests, etc. In any case, my friend, **e** tells me that at one point in the late 60's (he's not too good with dates) his older brother and friends broke into a music store, stole all the instruments, amps etc. and handed them out to kids in the neighborhood. **e** recalls seeing kids just walking down the street jamming on Gibsons and Fenders for months and months after the robbery, and he insists that without these stolen instruments groups like the House Guests and 400 Years of What never would have existed.

Wait, what were we talking about again?
    You should copyright that story or something, it's perfect movie material.

Man, do you leave laptop's laying around in Mall cafeteria's? And if someone you know did that, and it was stolen, would you be like "Yo man! People in this world are crazy! Damn, if only they believed in God!@$@#@" Or would you say "shouldn't have left that shit out in the Mall buttcock".

Stealing is stealing. A person who finds a laptop in a mall may very well gain rights to the laptop second only to the true owner's. If Anthony is that true owner, the person who finds the laptop is obliged to give it back to him. If the person refuses, they're stealing. Your personal morality is immaterial; this is the law.

Now what really matters is that the scenario above is in no way analogous to records in a library. The library has a manifest intention to control the records in their stacks. If you take one of these records and don't return it you're stealing. Again, it's the law. And this is one of those happy occurrences where the law and the morality coincide. So keep your inane rationalising to yourself; stealing is stealing is stealing. You're either comfortable doing something that is or morally wrong and illegal, or you're not.
    You missed the point of drawing the analogy. I wasn't morally justifying it. I have never attempted to do that at all in this thread, ever.

I was drawing the analogy and trying to show that the situation is such that records are LIKELY TO BE STOLEN. And that instead of bitching about how morally curropt humanity is we try to take some ACTIVE MEASURES in trying to either prevent the theft or to keep the music in the radio library either through digital back-ups or some other method.

• btw
    i think we know eachother
    i simply pointed out that, a certain person on here, thinks its morally wrong to steal records from radio stations, meanwhile has made mad $$$$$$$$$$ by re- selling on ebay. imo thats real thievery.Maybe hes upset that there wont be any records at the radio station left..so he wont be able to make $$$$ off them..hmmmm
    fuck re selling on ebay why not allow us to buy at reasonable set sale rates? example: i bet all of you would want to buy records from me, like mulatus, and starks, and all heavy shit...EVEN if you knew i got them from a station. So for some its ok...as long as there is a price tag on the vinyl...??!!! how many of you would be like.."oh man i dunno know howd you get these? did you buy them for $1 or did you steal them?" i mean seriously..if im buying them for $1 and selling to you for $300 whos the thief? or more or less whos the fool? not much of a difference between free and say .50 cents..
    lets not get it twisted, there are degrees..in the scale of crime..ive never jacked my people for records.
    lets see this go to 10 pages .

Who exactly are you calling out here? Anthony? I think you're a little off base there.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    FuKK that promo talk shit.

First off, Promos are given[/b] to you. If you sell it, I don't think it's like stealing from your college radio. It's not like ur walking into Def Jam and taking promos off someone's desk. I have yet to know of a DJ or anyone else that gave a promo back to a label after they were done with it. If you wanna sell it... Go for it!!! go tell that to def jam.it is illegal to re sell promos.they make no $ your wrong, trust me

wrong again, promos are stamped to escape troubles for not clearing samples etc.. ask armand van helden.

i did not dis agree

as somebody who myself has been bootlegged, i know im not seeing that $$! my mixes are all over the internet being shared for FREE. if i could count how many times my shits been booted, id have alot of $$

Mixes as in "Mix CD/Tape" ? Or production?

Oh, I didn't see ur other answers....

First off.. Re-selling promos is wrong??? The day Def Jam or any other label for that matter, sends out pre-paid mailers to get their records back. Or pays a DJ to get their product destroyed or hauled off I'll agree with you.

And I don't need to trust you. I've dealth with many of label dudes. I'm not talking promo reps... In some cases, money does go up the chain.

Plus, no major makes money off records anyway. You don't press a record for a major anymore in the hopes of making money. Every single one is in the hope of creating buzz and used as a promotional tool. If's its a offical release or not...

I dunno about sample clearance reasons on a promo.. Since promos have been around a lot longer than sample clearance.

Also... I use to get calls or label lackies dropping off tons of (Sometimes 50+ copies) "free" promos all the time. Asking to push the record on DJ's to get the song played. They knew straight up that we were charging money for it. Records haven't been used as a profit maker since the mid 80's.

• Somebody go give the "racist costume" thread some love.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    hip-hop isn't wack because graff writers and record collectors sometimes steal..try telling tracy 168 or COPE that what they do/did makes hip-hop wack. for that matter try telling lord finesse, showbiz, the beatnuts or pete rock that what they did(steal records sometimes)makes hip hop wack. i respect everybody's opinion but this is not a moral issue. the cat that started this thread was simply asking what items have people jacked from their local radio library. that's it!

Dude, that is so much bullshit. By your reasoning we should have no qualms about harming others if we think some good may result from the harm. What exactly are you going to teach your kids/next generation/whatever? "Junior, do whatever illegal thing you want as long as you think it's cool"?

• Options
    i really am puzzled by this hate on people who rack records from radio stations? as a friend of mine just said to me, whether it's racking records or cans of paint the bottomline is that Hip-Hop was bulit off of oppression and not having anything. so therefore, cats stole paint and racked records had to in order to create and innovate..ask bam, flash, and jazzy jay..true pioneers of this shite!! i dare anyone to call bam or flash a thief.
    this entire psuedo-paragraph is not only short sighted, but totally fucking dumb.

Yep. I stole tonnes of stuff when i was a teenager - used to teif mouontain/touring bikes with a well know race car driver (we were both on acid most of the time) and motorcycles (which we rode to Montreal to sell to very big Greek men), but would I do it now or do I feel it was right? Fuck no. Yoou say you are Anthony's age and you're still stealing stuff? I pity your children.

K in Canada.

By your reasoning we should have no qualms about harming others if we think some good may result from the harm.
    Isn't America at war with Iraq?

Aren't most of the labour laws we all enjoy directly from the result of class struggle that was often in early times very violent.

I didn't want to get on a tangent, but I thought I would point that out.

And yes, all I wanted to hear about was records that have been stolen and/or heist stories. I didn't want to start a moral argument. But it has been started and won't stop. No one will even discuss potential solutions.

• Options
    example: i bet all of you would want to buy records from me, like mulatus, and starks, and all heavy shit...EVEN if you knew i got them from a station. So for some its ok...as long as there is a price tag on the vinyl...??!!! how many of you would be like.."oh man i dunno know howd you get these? did you buy them for $1 or did you steal them?"

Also Magic Jackson...

why do you want to get into this now? didn't you catch enough heat on here, stealing from goodwill? just go back to it, or PM me and i'll explain it to you. don't forget to jack them fools coming out of the food bank...

Grab a wooden leg of some vet while your at it.

K.

• By your reasoning we should have no qualms about harming others if we think some good may result from the harm.
    Isn't America at war with Iraq?

Aren't most of the labour laws we all enjoy directly from the result of class struggle that was often in early times very violent.

scratch what i said before, this is the lamest shit i have read today

Meh, I stand by it. I shouldn't have brought that up in this thread, though. But note that I don't agree with the war in Iraq.