Mad Men (Latte Pass)

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    granjero said:
    Lakshmi (Juliette Lewis)

I thought so too, but no. Her name's Anna Wood.

I'm just glad something's finally happening on this show again. Was hoping we'd see Kinsey again too, but not like this.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Unherd said:
    granjero said:
    Lakshmi (Juliette Lewis)

LOL. I know, just jokin'. (At first, I was like, how does she not age?! Witchy.)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Unherd said:
    granjero said:
    Lakshmi (Juliette Lewis)

I'm just glad something's finally happening on this show again. Was hoping we'd see Kinsey again too, but not like this.

That is a terrible picture of someone who looked pretty on TV

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    This was a great episode!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    fun one, especially watching Peggy learn the art of negotiation

somehow Don's pitch was snoozy, he will lose all his writers, eventually

Joan buying in (with assets!)

Pete scheming as usual (taking cues from mr. insurance)

Lane gonna get caught

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

Peggy's gone. For good?
    Poor Joan.
    I really like Ginsberg.

Don and Peggy at the end were superb. He kisses her hand for but a moment, yet it's so tender and impactful. How will I look at Roger, Lane and Bert the same again knowing they let Joan do that?

Don's shown a lot of moral growth, but I'm surprised by how little mention there has been of Dick Whitman this season. In Seasons 1-4, the fear of being found out was constantly looming. Are they going to revisit that?

One of the better flashback scenes I've seen in quite awhile. They did it in such a way, that I bet some didn't even realize it for a few moments.

The whole parallel between Don's pitch and Joan's decision was well done as well.

I hope this doesn't mean the end of Peggy tho. The scene with Don kissing her hand was perfect. Seemed like Don was going through so many emotions in such a short period of time.

And in this link Moss say's she didn't even know the kiss was going to happen and the tears were real.

http://www.amctv.com/mad-men/videos/inside-episode-511-mad-men-the-other-woman

Side note:

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    For me, this was one of the more disturbing episodes in the show's history. Joan's not had an easy go of things, to say the least. Her storyline, Peggy's heartbreakingly difficult decision, and Don's reaction to both of them (to say nothing of Lane's predicament) had me feeling very uncomfortable the entire time.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    upon further reflection, it was incredibly sad to see Peggy go and very touching to see the way Don acted.

shit is revving up bigtime

hogginthefogg said:
    For me, this was one of the more disturbing episodes in the show's history. Joan's not had an easy go of things, to say the least. Her storyline, Peggy's heartbreakingly difficult decision, and Don's reaction to both of them (to say nothing of Lane's predicament) had me feeling very uncomfortable the entire time.

It confirmed my thoughts that Pete is the slimiest character on TV. Just when you didn't think he could go any lower. I'm guessing Joan realizes that Pete was lying to her that everyone was on board asking her.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    For me, this was one of the more disturbing episodes in the show's history.

Agreed, it was a tough watch at times.

Don's phrase in the previous episode of "An ad agency is defined when it lands its first car" is looking prophetic. SCDP is becoming slimy from the top down.

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    Most chilling line in the episode "It wasn't even close" implying that Don was right -- they didn't need Joan to get that vote after all.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Great episode. We lost a co-worker to suicide 2 weeks ago so this one hit home with me in a major way. Can't wait for the finale.

What now? Sterling Cooper Draper Campbell? Or Harris?

A hard-hitting episode, but The Other Woman last week really set the bar. I'm going to need a cliff-hanger next week to keep me looking forward to the next season. Tragedy has followed Don for years, and Lane's suicide reminds me of that of Don's brother's. He let's a man go, and then it's too late.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    DOR said:

Beautiful. Heartbreaking.

B/W

Roger Stirling has been on a roll this season. His dialog is approaching Prop Joe levels of awesomeness. They have been foreshadowing a death all season. As much as I will miss Lane, I'm glad we still have Roger.

I have a feeling Lane left Joan his shares.

The way they placed the Jaguar's electrical system failing was perfect. Watching the episode, I had hoped this would have given Lane a chance to change his mind.

IMO, I would like to see Don realize his actions do have major consequences. Someone pointed out signs from past episodes.

Hoping Don comes across this and it all just hits him.

dollar_bin said:

Roger Stirling has been on a roll this season. His dialog is approaching Prop Joe levels of awesomeness

Agreed. Roger's wit keeps me coming back for more. I was hoping they would start to bring his character back to these type moments.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Watched those last 2 episodes back-to-back. Like: WOAH.
    So sad. Poor Joan - would she have? Had Don got to her first? Probably not.
    And Roger. Roger!!! Cold-hearted bastard. Though Pete is just next-levs.
    Lane has the worst skin on tv.
    I just think now that Don is a dude. The ending with Glen driving was some small consolation.
    Fuck, Peggy should've hit Don with a $25k figure. But after that money-throw-in-face manoeuvre... I dunno.
    I did feel a bit sorry for Ken when he left the room after Peggy basically cut him down.
    My emotions are all over the shop, I need a meditate.

The season finale was a good episode, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed. They could end the series right here if they wanted. Megan will spend the rest of her life as an actress vacillating between satisfaction and depression based on whether or not she's getting roles. Pete's in a perpetual cycle of chasing something to cover some ancient wound that I can't really identify. Really happy to see that Joan and Peggy are doing well in their current positions. Joan's basically running the show at the firm (as she always has), which is so great to see. Although Don seemed to gain a lot of moral bearing this season, with being faithful and standing up for Joan and all, the visions of his late brother (which were so wonderfully creepy) affirm that he is still the same Don, with the weight of his past constantly "hanging" around. The scene with him at the bar with the girl asking him for a light was such a throwback to previous seasons. Full circle?

Season 6 predictions? I don't know how much more of the Megan-Don dynamic I am willing to sit through. Pete's affairs are never sexy, anyway. And Roger's quips aren't quite as funny after the Jaguar business. Of course I want more, but only if it gets better.

By the way, how gorgeous is Julia Ormond? Megan was stunning in that film reel, but she's got nothing on her mother.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    In 2-3 yrs time when the show finally wraps, we'll look back and realize that last night's ep would have been the perfect finale for the entire show (does Don go back to his filandering ways? Was he really ever changed at all? CAN a person really ever change? etc....).

Instead it will run on empty for a few more seasons until we all forget how great it once was.

rootlesscosmo said:
    In 2-3 yrs time when the show finally wraps, we'll look back and realize that last night's ep would have been the perfect finale for the entire show (does Don go back to his filandering ways? Was he really ever changed at all? CAN a person really ever change? etc....).

Instead it will run on empty for a few more seasons until we all forget how great it once was.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a positive or a negative review.

I'm sure I'll have a more in depth analysis of this season when I'm not poking at a tiny smartphone keyboard. I thought it was a very very good season. Probably not the best Mad Men season, there was a lot more experimentation in the storytelling that was interesting but not always successful.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a positive or a negative review.

I'm sure I'll have a more in depth analysis of this season when I'm not poking at a tiny smartphone keyboard. I thought it was a very very good season. Probably not the best Mad Men season, there was a lot more experimentation in the storytelling that was interesting but not always successful.

I find that when you read RC media/culture related posts, this is a helpful aid to keep in mind:

PS I think last night's episode was great and they'll have plenty to work with next season.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    It seemed to me like Don had reached his tipping point with Meghan. He ws probably a devoted husband with Betty in the beginning and then things fell apart. He's probably got a limited time span for happiness with one person. I kind of liked new Don better, but who knows, maybe he won't go back to his ways.

Mad Men finales always seem kind of underwhelming.

Top pic from season one. Bottom from last night.

The_Non said:

I find that when you read RC media/culture related posts, this is a helpful aid to keep in mind:

Ha ha, I almost terminated his quote with [/Debbie downer]

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I thought it was interesting that this episode was called "The Phantom" which I believe is what Megan's mom called Megan's acting dreams; she's "chasing a phantom".

I was a little underwhelmed immediately after watching last night, but after reading the title of the episode, I started to think about all the characters, and realized how many of them were chasing after something this season: Megan's acting; her mom coming for Easter because her husband's an atheist; Roger basically asking her to take care of him; whatever motivated Pete and his fling; the whole company and Jaguar; and finally Don, who spent the entire season trying to conjure some kind of fairy tale life with Megan, both at home and at work. The last shot, to me, seemed like him letting go of these delusions and accepting reality.

The show seemed to be spinning its tires for the bulk of the season, and the tension didn't build like in the past, but it was a slow burn, and the last few episodes were gripping. In retrospect, I think the finale was appropriately subtle and understated. I'll ride, for now.

Just to add. I really like this shot.