Mad Men (Latte Pass)

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    The_Non said:
    dollar_bin said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    In 2-3 yrs time when the show finally wraps, we'll look back and realize that last night's ep would have been the perfect finale for the entire show (does Don go back to his filandering ways? Was he really ever changed at all? CAN a person really ever change? etc....).

Instead it will run on empty for a few more seasons until we all forget how great it once was.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a positive or a negative review.

I'm sure I'll have a more in depth analysis of this season when I'm not poking at a tiny smartphone keyboard. I thought it was a very very good season. Probably not the best Mad Men season, there was a lot more experimentation in the storytelling that was interesting but not always successful.

I find that when you read RC media/culture related posts, this is a helpful aid to keep in mind:

PS I think last night's episode was great and they'll have plenty to work with next season.

haha. My point is that this show has run it's course. *could* they squeeze a couple more seasons out of it? of course they could (and will). the characters are great, etc. and they can always come up with reasonably entertaining plotlines and cool historical angles, etc. It's still gonna be some of the best TV out there.

but there's no *need* to continue it. last night would have been a great series finale.

(the exact right moment to end a TV show usually only becomes clear several seasons after it's passed. This show will limp along for another couple of seasons, but I think hindsight will prove that last night was that moment for Mad Men. it would have been a really powerful, elegant ending note IMO.)

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

haha. My point is that this show has run it's course. *could* they squeeze a couple more seasons out of it? of course they could (and will). the characters are great, etc. and they can always come up with reasonably entertaining plotlines and cool historical angles, etc. It's still gonna be some of the best TV out there.

but there's no *need* to continue it. last night would have been a great series finale.

(the exact right moment to end a TV show usually only becomes clear several seasons after it's passed. This show will limp along for another couple of seasons, but I think hindsight will prove that last night was that moment for Mad Men. it would have been a really powerful, elegant ending note IMO.)

You're absolutely right, if needlessly pessimistic. The Wire could have easily ended after season three and it still would have been the greatest thing ever. But fortunately they had another story to tell, and Season four happened. Perhaps it should have ended there, but I didn't assume that season five of the Wire was going to suck at the end of season four.

Personally, I'd hate to see the show end with SCDP apparently on top of the world.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

I hear that, I think you're on target. I say just enjoy it til you don't, most shows don't know when to quit. Maybe this one will surprise you.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Ugh, it's gone again. Not a good episode, in my book. One long set-up for the next season - I get that. Maybe I'm just mad that it's off-air again for a while. I would be especially irritated if that had been the end of the whole series (and I don't think they'd have ended it like that in any case) - weak as f***.
    Pete is simply a bastard, at work and at home (and in between). I personally don't care about what his motivation is. Oh, and "will Don start pokin' around again?" Care less! Do what you wanna.
    That iconic shot in the office of the 5 of them regarding the skyline is built for AMC publicity - apt for a programme which revolves around advertising I guess. Yawn.
    The season has however been interesting and entertaining, especially in the previous 4 episodes.
    Predictions for the next season? I wouldn't presume to guess. Those writers are clever.
    (Can I state here that my wife hates Lane's wife? Thanks y'all.)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My only disappointment with the finale was that this season didn't really start to get good until the second half, and just as it finally had me engaged, it was all over.

also, seeing Gilmore Girl in vintage lingerie made this episode Top Five automatically ;)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Next season predictions? Roger turns into an LSD hippie? Find out Don's a secret agent?

Maybe all about Peggy...

rootlesscosmo said:
    In 2-3 yrs time when the show finally wraps, we'll look back and realize that last night's ep would have been the perfect finale for the entire show (does Don go back to his filandering ways? Was he really ever changed at all? CAN a person really ever change? etc....).

Instead it will run on empty for a few more seasons until we all forget how great it once was.

^^ I still stand by this ^^^

But hey, it's still great fucking TV, right?

The sideburns are a nice little sign-o-the-times.

re: the Sylvia-and-Don subplot, man....I mean, it was foul when he banged the Mort Sol dude's wife (and he called Don out royally on that one: ), but this seems ever MORE foul. I mean, Rosen is like his boy. Like a genuine nice dude who obviously considers Don a friend. When Don rides the elevator down with him, pretends to have left his smokes in the apt, and then goes straight to her place? Foul. Even by Don standards.

It took me about half the 1st episode, but I finally figured out why ol girl looked so familiar. I don't know if she's done a lot of work since Freaks and Geeks, but I haven't seen any of it. So the transition was pretty jarring for me mentally. Awkward high schooler >> rather seasoned (?) looking housewife; crazy abrupt for my mental (also since I only ever peeped F&G like 2 yrs ago so it's fresh in my mind).

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I was all psyched that season 5 has just been made available to me on Netflix here in Brazil, only for you guys to tell me it's actually on season 6.

Guess I'll revisit this thread in 2014 or 2015, when the rest of the show makes its way to me...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I thought Season 6's opener was a bit slow and plodding; second episode caught its stride. Thoroughly enjoyed the "Whose the Pimp? Whose the Ho?" theme of the episode.

- Speaking of which, while Pete Campbell strives to be a pimp like Don, he stays being a sad Ho. Dude had it made with the apartment in the City - He just needed to keep it in his pants in the "Burbs. Trudy showed that's she the smart one and totally ethered him.

- Thought this season was all about Don losing his swagger, as shown in the opener when he blew that Hawaiian presentation. Glad that he got some of that swagger back when ambushed fat Herb and denied him ad funds from Jaguar (or as Roger put it, "the deftest act of self-immolation I've ever seen). Pimp D also basically made Dr. Rosen's wife (my girl Lindsey Weir!) bust a nut at the dinner table with his "Don't feel guilty, we're still having sex" speech. He also threw a wad of cash at her, which was pretty fucked up.

- What's up with Pete's acolyte Bob Benson? Is dude's purpose just to fetch coffee and toilet paper?

- I need more Joan.

- Looking forward to the inevitable showdown between the Drapes and Peggy for the Heinz Ketchup account.

phongone said:
    He also threw a wad of cash at her, which was pretty fucked up.

- What's up with Pete's acolyte Bob Benson?

That cash move was gross! She didn't mind though.
    Funny seeing Don catch up on the whole situation in about 0.1 seconds when Mehgan told him about the miscarriage. Like... oh, right ok.
    Love the flashbacks (and Don't haircut).
    Clearly Don needs therapy way more than Roger, who's kinda enlightened already. Don slumped in the hallway was telling. He's flailing. And what was he doing vomiting at the funeral last week? Don!?!
    Bob Benson is a massive loser, unless he's some kind of spy.
    Pete Campbell has a long long way to fall and I look forward to seeing his flight down.

Oh, and Joan >>> Herb LOL

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I thought this thread would be set aflame with the other week's usage of Bonnie and Clyde by Serge Gainsbourg.
    Boooo Soulstrut, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was stoked

still haven't had a chance to watch the most recent ep, but tbh this season has been kind of whatever

The Wire Season 5

Jonny_Paycheck said:

The Wire Season 5

ewf. I don't think it's THAT bad, but pretty boring. (Full disclosure: I think Wire S5 was beyond bad, like horrible).

Mad Men ran its course last season. There will be enough Roger zingers and historical references to keep me watching on a weekly basis pretty much until forever, but it's not what it was and I doubt it ever will be again.

I actually don't think this season has been horrible. Just average...

But I did enjoy the last episode quite a bit. We shall see...

I just think I've been so blown away with Game of Thrones after I watch Mad Men on Sunday nights that it overshines anything I just watched on MM.

I thought that last episode was really good. Almost like a great season finale...

I hope the rest of the season can keep pace.

The music was kind of over the top no? Like it seemed like they abruptly changed the way music is used in the series, a lot more overt.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    The music was kind of over the top no? Like it seemed like they abruptly changed the way music is used in the series, a lot more overt.

That change really jumped out at me - all of a sudden the music was pretty obtrusive in the scene. Almost like they were referencing the soap operas of the 60s....

Snapping said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

That change really jumped out at me - all of a sudden the music was pretty obtrusive in the scene. Almost like they were referencing the soap operas of the 60s....

exactly. it happened in several scenes. like REAL soap opera-ish.

rootlesscosmo said:

If you're basing the show every week off the music, I suppose it could bother you.

DOR said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

If you're basing the show every week off the music, I suppose it could bother you.

no it didn't "bother" me; it was just an abrupt change in the entire feel of the show based on a retooling of the way music is used.

and I noticed it.

So much happened in that one. Too much.
    Mehgan's mum = BADASS.
    Roger so proficient. He's still got it.
    "I don't think Don cares about money."
    Pete & Trudy, Pete generally, terrible. He pressed the button, and nobody gave a shit (or believed him).
    I'm not sure what it all means but I'm enjoying it.
    I do get the feeling the budget has been cut down a bit on this show. Costume/ props/ detail not as sharp as before maybe.
    Acting still pretty good though.
    Likin' it.

There was much I enjoyed.

Joans trashing of Don.

Roger's "I close Pete..I close."

Don's statement of...

Or where Herb states "You know the somersaults I've been doing since you're so touchy?" and Don instantly quips back with "Really, a man of your size?"

Julia Ormond was on fire "the apple in the pig's mouth".

The best...

I'm wondering if that was planned or just happened.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    granjero said:

I do get the feeling the budget has been cut down a bit on this show. Costume/ props/ detail not as sharp as before maybe.
    Likin' it.

I think the fashion and design of the late 60s hasn't aged nearly as well as the fashion and design of the early 60s. So while the look of the early episodes was classy and sophisticated the newest episodes are looking more cheap and flimsy.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Snapping said:
    granjero said:

Likin' it.

I think the fashion and design of the late 60s hasn't aged nearly as well as the fashion and design of the early 60s. So while the look of the early episodes was classy and sophisticated the newest episodes are looking more cheap and flimsy.

This is by design to show how the fashion/attitude of the 50s/60s are becoming outdated and the characters are thrown into the chaotic/disruptive society of the 70s.

Nice usage of Friend & Lover!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I've loved this season so far, and last night's episode in particular. Bert's second firing was one for the Schadenfreude record books; Roger stays havin' the best lines of all. Bob the Annoying Guy finally found a way to make himself useful (who accidentally drinks furniture polish?). Don tries being a new kind of dick, and it all backfires on him. And Pete, one of the more unlikable characters in TV history, unravels even more.

Seeing the interactions between Don and Ted were great, too. Ted's the Nice Don that everyone likes, so of course Draper has to try to take him down a notch. But there's no fuckin' with the nonchalant "Oh, I can just fly us to Detroit. I have my own plane. And my own bomber jacket."

Bonus beat: COFFEE CHIEF.

"I was imagining you talking over me in meetings. Now I don't have that problem anymore!"

I lol'd.

ETA:

"You ever do something once and wish you could've taken your time and enjoyed it more?"

"No one will ever say you weren't funny, Burt."

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    "You ever do something once and wish you could've taken your time and enjoyed it more?"

Ha! I rewound that part. Twice.

hogginthefogg said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Ha! I rewound that part. Twice.

I see what you did there