Mad Men (Latte Pass)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
i just watched the first season. its pretty decent and is sort of filling the gap left by the Sopranos.anyone else into this show?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_menhttp://www.mininova.org/tor/1235964

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I first saw it by accident by incorrectly programming my dvr to record Breaking Bad.

Definitely in need of torrenting the season.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    yea, my favorite show of last year and work related style inspiration.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Yeah, it's really good.

Supposedly it's coming back this summer?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I watched the first 2.5 eps based on my friend's recommendation and I couldn't really get into it. The art direction - as a period piece - is excellent and the writing isn't bad (as you'd hope/expect) but so far, I can't really find any characters who exude enough charisma for me to care. In contrast, shows like "The Sopranos" or "Deadwood" or "The Wire" didn't necessarily have their storytelling in a groove until a few episodes in but you were drawn to the people and so far, "Mad Men" just doesn't do nada for me. I also think it may have to do with the fact that I just have no inherent curiosity about the 1950s.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    The first few episodes are just setting the scene, establishing the time period, characters, etc. Drama happens later in the season.

Dude, that's what I'm saying. I don't have a problem with the show's drama. I have a problem with the characters. None of them are compelling to me thus far.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Eh, yeah, I suppose. The Characters themselves are pretty transparent, at least initially. The interesting part is the way they respond to the changing times in that show. It attempts to take place at a pivotal moment in history both in Advertising, and in the timeline of gender roles, class struggles, and a general shift in the country's motivations. Some characters change and adapt, some don't, the office power struggle is a constant antagonist. I find it interesting. Then again, Im in advertising.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Eh, yeah, I suppose. The Characters themselves are pretty transparent, at least initially. The interesting part is the way they respond to the changing times in that show. It attempts to take place at a pivotal moment in history both in Advertising, and in the timeline of gender roles, class struggles, and a general shift in the country's motivations. Some characters change and adapt, some don't, the office power struggle is a constant antagonist. I find it interesting. Then again, Im in advertising.

I like your random use of noun Capitalization. Way to make the Language your own.

A friend has been on me to watch this lately, but it hasn't made it to the Bottom of the queue yet. Should I force the Issue?

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Yeah, that is weird now that you mention it.

Yeah - I don't think it's a bad show on its basic merits. I can see why others would find it to be quite watchable. I'm going to try to give it one or two more eps and see if I come around on it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    the few episodes I've seen seem to focus on the overt sexism of the characters. it was sort of a major theme. like it actually seemed like the only theme.

That and smoking!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    saying.

I know back then lots of people smoked and were sexist and there was an election with Nixon and Kennedy. and even though the show was showing me these things, I felt like it was merely telling me these things.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    even though the show was showing me these things, I felt like it was merely telling me these things.

They should just call it a "tell" then.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    the show is all about character development, but without giving you a constant overdone dose of what its like to be a male/female in the office and at home in the 50s, i don't see many people relating or even understanding how/why these characters act the way they do.

and if u work in an office u gotta appreciate/envy the 2 hour lunches and constant drinking while on the clock.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I went back and forth on this show while watching it, but by the end of the season I was glad I stuck with it.

The characters are pretty much all unlikable, and given the choice they almost always make the wrong decision. Don Draper is essentially a sociopath, which is probably why he is so good at the advertising game. I guess Matthew Weiner can't help create another Tony Soprano-like protagonist who is definitely not a good person.

On the other hand, the production design is great, starting with one of my favorite title sequences from recent years. There's an almost surreal quality to the crisp 60s sets and costumes, you can see the fingerprints from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying all over the design (plus the casting of Robert Morse as Bertram Cooper). The sensibilities of the times seem almost alien to a modern viewpoint, including the sexism, racism, homophobia, class-ism, the smoking and the drinking which are all part of the DNA of the show. I love the scene where the little girl comes into the room with a laundry bag on her head and the mother is unconcerned with suffocation but is pissed that she might have messed up her clean clothes.

Along with Breaking Bad, AMC is 2 for 2 in original programming in my opinion. Neither show is perfect, but I can easily give each one four out of five stars.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    img src="http://consumat.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/4ldk40y.jpg"1b,121b,121b,121b,121Does anyone have the mp3 of RJD2's A Beautiful Mine? I need it for a gig tonight.b,121b, 21Thanks!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121img src="http://consumat.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/4ldk40y.jpg"1b,121b,121b,121 b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21Old girl is making me want to get cable just so I watch Mad Men. b,121b,121b,121I was googling around for her and found a youtube clip of this scene of her and Kate Norby, who I went to high school with. They were just talking, but it was still mmm, mmm, good.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b,121b, 21Skip to 1:15. Then loop.b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" /1

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    The Purdie break in the intro got my attention..b,121b,121It's a pretty good watch. Funny to see the parallels between the agency in the show and what I experience in my job today (advertising/marketing).

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Does anyone have the mp3 of RJD2's A Beautiful Mine? I need it for a gig tonight.b,121b, 21Thanks! b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Someone needs to tell an Austin, TX based poster that an Aceyalone-less RJD2 beat is the song's theme.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Purdie break in the intro got my attention..b,121b,121It's a pretty good watch. Funny to see the parallels between the agency in the show and what I experience in my job today (advertising/marketing). b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Totally. I agree fully. b,121b,121Also, that clip is...b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oj.gif" alt="" /1

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b,121b, 21Skip to 1:15. Then loop.b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" /1 b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21oh man. thanks for that.b,121b,121b,121my wife would like this show for the costumes alone. I'll have to mess with this on DVD I think.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    best show out

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    ya, i love the show. even though i'm of color and probably wouldn't do great in a society like the show presents, its straight quality and intriguing. so i can't really buy the "i can't relate to it" argument. just like most people probably arent in the mafia but loved sopranos.b, 21b, 21the show is really layered. what i like most is the rich characters, you can like them and hate them just as soon. what's really impressive is the accuracy of the advertising with the events that were going on at the time (jfk, marilyn vs jackie, marilyns suicide) and the backwardness of race relations etc. also interesting in dealing with the sexism and women making moves.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121img src="http://consumat.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/4ldk40y.jpg"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Does anyone have the mp3 of RJD2's A Beautiful Mine? I need it for a gig tonight.b, 21b, 21Thanks! b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21makes a great ringtoneb,121b, 21 b,121a href="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BLKU13ZR" target="_blank"1http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BLKU13ZR/a1

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 Breaking Bad.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I almost forgot about this show, sooooo good!b,121b, 21Please tell there's a new season out.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I think I can officially say now that season 2 was better than season 1.

hmmm, definitely more relationship/family/soap opera-ish based...i favor more emphasis in the actual office, but defintiely quality and complex