Mad Men (Latte Pass)

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Almond said:

Anyone else bothered by the bright orange price sticker on the record in Don's house at the very end? I have a feeling Megan wouldn't leave price stickers on.

What you couldn't see on your low definition TV is that the price on that album was $250,000.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Thanks for the link, T. When that song came on, my wife and I looked at each other like, "Damn, this episode just got asspensive."

Anyone have theories on or insight into the bizarre elevator theme? It seemed so foreboding, then nothing came of it. That would've been a lame way to kill of Megan.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

Anyone have theories on or insight into the bizarre elevator theme? It seemed so foreboding, then nothing came of it. That would've been a lame way to kill of Megan.

I've thought about it a lot, and I've boiled it down to two favorite theories:

1) the Empty Elevator Shaft is the abyss of the future. Don gazes down into it and decides to go back to his office and drink himself to oblivion rather than tell anyone about this potential lethal looming hazard even though he clearly is able to see it.

2) This season is dripping with Chekov's "fill in the blank". Something is going to hurt somebody. We saw Pete's rifle a few episodes ago, maybe that's going to shoot somebody. Or Pete got some skis, perhaps he's going to break his neck on the slopes. Or perhaps somebody's going to fall down the elevator shaft even though it will invite comparisons to LA Law.

These two theories are not mutually exclusive.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I was also wondering about the elevator scene. I was talking to someone who is convinced that Pete will die this season, possibly by falling down that faulty elevator.

Pete got rejected by Rory Gilmore, I mean Alexis Bledel. I guess that's low, but is it really? He puts himself these situations and even if they turned into the fairytale he wanted, he would continue chasing some other fantasy that he can't really put his finger on. I guess with Beth, what he ultimately wanted was to be able to call the shots. And then he gets the life insurance policy that covers suicide. That would be a pathetic way to go, especially since he's spent his whole life vying for the approval of others and trying to look like a big man.

I hope Pete doesn't get killed off. He's my favorite.

I've been loving what little they've shown of Joan's character this season. Bored with Don. Newbie Ginsburg needs a plotline of his own.

Double.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    So much to think about!
    These last 2 episodes have been golden.
    Where's Betty gone? Not that I care at the moment.
    Now I'm worried about Pete going. That sweaty, smelly rat.
    I think Don's lost some of his twinkle. I keep seeing him do that daft smile where his eyes go dead.
    Rogers's so chirpy - wish I had a Roger at work. And a Joan.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I like your second theory, dollar_bin, and I agree that they're not mutually exclusive. I feel like we're supposed to think that Pete might kill himself, but that, ultimately, it's intentional misdirection on Weiner's part.

It's also odd to me that Don kissed Megan goodbye, then pressed the button for the next elevator (as opposed to just riding down with her).

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

It's also odd to me that Don kissed Megan goodbye, then pressed the button for the next elevator (as opposed to just riding down with her).

wtf was that about? he wasn't leaving the office, so why'd he summon the elevator?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    hogginthefogg said:

wtf was that about? he wasn't leaving the office, so why'd he summon the elevator?

I believe it was because he was going to go after her. He had more to say...

• MAD MEN SERIES FINAL SCENE REVEALED!
    Eagleheart writer Jason Woliner knocked this outta the park: http://twitpic.com/9iy5ln

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    TheeeCasualMale said:
    MAD MEN SERIES FINAL SCENE REVEALED!
    Eagleheart writer Jason Woliner knocked this outta the park: http://twitpic.com/9iy5ln

that's supposed to be a joke, right?

• crabmongerfunk said:
    TheeeCasualMale said:
    MAD MEN SERIES FINAL SCENE REVEALED!

that's supposed to be a joke, right?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Mr Belding!!!

And he's fat!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    hogginthefogg said:

wasnt that supposed to be a near death experience - he almost fell down the elevator shaft there. Existentialism like whoa.

Classic episodes these last two. Made me revisit revolver too such a great rekkid.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Was Revolver still in the shrink wrap or a glossy reissue? Don doesn't crack the seal and it almost looked like they used a glossy cover reissue. It was really shiny in a few shots, but in one it looked like it could have been shrink wrap.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Almond said:
    IReally awkward seeing the Gilmore Girls actress playing a middle-aged housewife.

Who said she was supposed to be "middle aged?"

SoulOnIce said:
    Almond said:
    IReally awkward seeing the Gilmore Girls actress playing a middle-aged housewife.

Who said she was supposed to be "middle aged?"

yeah she was prolly intended to be about 25-30 there.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Was Revolver still in the shrink wrap or a glossy reissue? Don doesn't crack the seal and it almost looked like they used a glossy cover reissue. It was really shiny in a few shots, but in one it looked like it could have been shrink wrap.

The cover looked either UK or reissue. I believe they did get the label right though (capitol rainbow)

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Not sure if this was mentioned,
    but I noticed the Sketches Of Spain 2 eye label (1962-) in season 1 (1960).
    Oops.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    "Last week: I forget. Oh yeah, the dinner where Don's daughter is scarred for life. Glen straight running his boarding school]"

Can someone give me a run down of what happened here? i missed this episode and I feel like---from reading this---I missed quit a bit.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That Jane and Roger schitt was deep. He owns that woman's soul.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    This show is pretty much crap now right? I missed my first season 5 episode last night, but I'd bet I didn't miss much. Don 5.0 is basically an unbearable prick. Is that their (the writers) intention or what?

button said:
    This show is pretty much crap now right? I missed my first season 5 episode last night, but I'd bet I didn't miss much. Don 5.0 is basically an unbearable prick. Is that their (the writers) intention or what?

Im not sure how you reached this conclusion. He's actually finally NOT a total prick (insofar as he is now faithful to his wife).

But as to your first question ("This show is pretty much crap now right?") the answer is...almost. This show WILL very likely become crap if they try to stretch it beyond this season, since it seems to lose steam by the episode at this point.

But the historical accuracy and dialogue are enough to make this (despite the unspirited plot) the best show on network TV...for now.

They really oughta kill it after this season tho.

I loved the exchange between Roger and Michael Ginsberg, who I've really grown to love. "They make wine for Jews, and now they're making one they want to sell to normal people. You know what I mean, people like me."

Don and Peggy are both jealous of Ginsberg, and the part in the elevator when Don says "good thing you work for me" makes me think that Ginsberg might threaten to leave the firm for another. Great acting on little Sally's part, especially when she volleyed that maliciousness right back to Betty.

I feel a bit let down this season, but characters like Pete, Roger and Ginsberg never fail to amuse me. And MM is still better than half the stuff that comes on TV.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Well, in seasons 1 thru 4 Don always had these legitimate external pressures as well as his own internal struggles underneath it alll. He was an up-and-comer at a stressful job. He had a long commute to and from a fairly stressful family life. He was literally living a lie regarding his past. Stuff like that he had to deal with and we liked him for it, or at least were interested in watching him do so... and it all gave him sort of a cover to be a detached, anti-social asshole.

But now, in season 5, dude's finally made it. He's rich - like rich rich. He's got the schwaggg apartment in manhattan. He doesn't have to cut the fucking grass anymore. He's got the young, doting, frisky, sexy idealization of a wife. He doesn't do shit at SCDP except sleep on his office couch... and yet, like, he's like more snide and unpleasant than ever. Just listen to how he talks to the people around him. Everything he says seems to be rudely dismissive or just plain mean. Like I said, that was always part of his character, but it really seems amplified this season. Which coincides exactly to a point in his life where the average viewer at home should no longer be feeling any empathy for him.

Almond said:
    I loved the exchange between Roger and Michael Ginsberg, who I've really grown to love. "They make wine for Jews, and now they're making one they want to sell to normal people. You know what I mean, people like me."

"And I need it by sundown on Friday -- I've done my research."

Hahaha. Shabbat jokes.

button said:
    He had a long commute .

lol wow I never really looked at it from that perspective I guess.

button said:
    Well, in seasons 1 thru 4 Don always had these legitimate external pressures as well as his own internal struggles underneath it alll. He was an up-and-comer at a stressful job. He had a long commute to and from a fairly stressful family life. He was literally living a lie regarding his past. Stuff like that he had to deal with and we liked him for it, or at least were interested in watching him do so... and it all gave him sort of a cover to be a detached, anti-social asshole.

But now, in season 5, dude's finally made it. He's rich - like rich rich. He's got the schwaggg apartment in manhattan. He doesn't have to cut the fucking grass anymore. He's got the young, doting, frisky, sexy idealization of a wife. He doesn't do shit at SCDP except sleep on his office couch... and yet, like, he's like more snide and unpleasant than ever. Just listen to how he talks to the people around him. Everything he says seems to be rudely dismissive or just plain mean. Like I said, that was always part of his character, but it really seems amplified this season. Which coincides exactly to a point in his life where the average viewer at home should no longer be feeling any empathy for him.

I think you need to check the last episode out. Don's working at his job. And his character has developed since seasons 1-4 in that he's matured, he's happier now with what he's actually got in terms of his relationships with Megan (who intellectually is more fulfilling for him than Betty) and his children,. And I'm often surprised that his responses to colleagues who are jealous or snide to him are so measured. I don't see him snapping at anyone. Plus he's not caning it anymore. I feel he's calmed down and this makes me empathise more with him than before. I'm relieved.

"My mother raised me to be admired." Oh, Joan. The scenes with her and Don were great.

This season only has two or three episodes left, but a lot of loose ends to tie up. There's the financial situation with Lane, Fat Betty, Peggy and her boyfriend, Michael Ginsberg's position in creative, Pete's affair and the Megan-Don dynamic. While the scenes with Harry and Paul were entertaining, I feel like they were a creative break from the storyline, which really should be running faster at this point in the season. I can't say I'm disappointed, but the next couple of episodes will have to cover a lot of ground, and maybe I'm getting too emotionally involved in the series, but I don't want to be left with rushed plot or a sloppy cliffhanger. Not that either of those things will deter my future viewership.

I think you're right, Almond, they're opening too many doors when it feels they should be starting to close them. I think this season will leave a good few open.
    I really enjoy Harry's agonising but I can't help thinking we've not seen the last of Lakshmi (Juliette Lewis).
    You can practically taste the sweat on Lane's top lip (sorry).
    That receptionist deserved Joan's ire IMO.