Explosions at the Boston Marathon.

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    glad to hear Boston strutters appear to be okay.

Question though (and not trying to troll for political scraps here), why does there seem to be such a point on whether or not this is labeled by authorities (and specifically the President) as an "act of terrorism".

Aside from the obvious technical-definition of making sure the explosion was not the cause of a mechanical malfunction, gas leak, etc. -- once it is determined to be an explosion caused by a bomb or IUD, wouldn't that make it an act of terrorism regardless?

Obviously I realize what this country has been through over the past 10+ years, but is there a sound legal reason why there is such an issue of naming this an "act of terrorism". Meaning, if it was "an act of extreme violence" it would someone how be a weaker offence? Or is the recourse by authorities more specific when officially labeled as "terrorism".

Seriously, I don't know if this is just semantics or if there is a real issue here.

During the elections I know there was a big hullabaloo about when the President called the Benghazi affair an act of terrorism....is this Boston issue now just a play on that same debate?

• DB_Cooper said:
    These zealots have chosen the wrong city and wrong people as the object of their bigotry. And they may pay for it dearly.

Westboro to picket Boston funerals blames fag marriage for bombings

they'll turn around somwhere near the mason dixon line if they value their safety

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    These zealots have chosen the wrong city and wrong people as the object of their bigotry. And they may pay for it dearly.

Westboro to picket Boston funerals blames fag marriage for bombings

Yeah. Fuck everything about that.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    jlee said:

Question though (and not trying to troll for political scraps here), why does there seem to be such a point on whether or not this is labeled by authorities (and specifically the President) as an "act of terrorism".

Aside from the obvious technical-definition of making sure the explosion was not the cause of a mechanical malfunction, gas leak, etc. -- once it is determined to be an explosion caused by a bomb or IUD, wouldn't that make it an act of terrorism regardless?

Obviously I realize what this country has been through over the past 10+ years, but is there a sound legal reason why there is such an issue of naming this an "act of terrorism". Meaning, if it was "an act of extreme violence" it would someone how be a weaker offence? Or is the recourse by authorities more specific when officially labeled as "terrorism".

Seriously, I don't know if this is just semantics or if there is a real issue here.

During the elections I know there was a big hullabaloo about when the President called the Benghazi affair an act of terrorism....is this Boston issue now just a play on that same debate?

I'd say yes, because:

jlee said:
    if it was "an act of extreme violence" it would somehow be a weaker offense?
    It wouldn't be. The issue of whether or not it's an "act of terror" is strictly political and has more to do with chest-puffing demonstrations of one's supposed patriotism than anything else.

The cause of a deliberate incident (and intent hasn't been established here, obviously) does not change the horror of it, and the same number of people were harmed. Trying to shift the focus towards what the act should be called is a slap-worthy offense IMO.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

America, FUCK YEAH!

Bad taste, but honestly far from unexpected. How many different ventures have there been cashing in on 9/11? If there's a dollar to be made here someone will certainly try and make it

jlee said:

Perhaps due to not knowing whether this is domestic or foreign.

You already saw people looking to blame this on Muslims right off the bat. They might be waiting to be able to give a better idea of the situation.

No doubt it's terrorism tho.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Now that I'm not flooded with worry, I'm starting to get very, very angry.

Completely. This image just chokes me....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    tabira said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Now that I'm not flooded with worry, I'm starting to get very, very angry.

Completely. This image just chokes me....

That poor family. The father finished running the marathon and hugged his wife and kids. They stuck around at the finish line to cheer on a few more runners* while he went to cool down. After the bomb went off, the daughter was found sitting on the sidewalk next to her dead 8-year-old brother and her mother, who had suffered a massive head injury. The little girl was missing a leg.

* The runners at the Boston Marathon are split into three waves. The third and final wave, which the folks crossing the finish line at this point were part of, is mostly non-competitive runners who are running for charity. Whoever did this timed the explosions to coincide with the time when the charity runners and those who came to cheer them on were at the finish line. That's the part I can't wrap my head around. That family stuck around to cheer on those other folks, because they had just run 26 miles to try to help somebody else. And that's what they get.

EDIT: I have just learned that the third wave of runners is made up exclusively of charity runners. Apparently, unlike other major marathons, there is no lottery to be able to run. You either beat the qualifying time to run as a competitive athlete or you run for charity.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    That, then throw in the Sandy Hook tie-in = Stagededed.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Fuck you harvey. It's fuckadoodles like you masturbating to some AM talk show bullshit that do shit like this.

jaysus said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Fuck you harvey. It's fuckadoodles like you masturbating to some AM talk show bullshit that do shit like this.

Yes, swallow the propaganda whole. It's obviously patriots who blew up Patriots Day. Pfft.

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Wait, it is too early to speculate, we still need to mourn for the victims.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    jaysus said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Yes, swallow the propaganda whole. It's obviously patriots who blew up Patriots Day. Pfft.

Just for the record, at this point and in this type of situation, I don't care what or who anybody thinks was behind this. R***** has his own ideas about things, but from what I know of him, he's the sort of person who will try to help folks who need it, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the only thing that matters right now.

DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    jaysus said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Just for the record, at this point and in this type of situation, I don't care what or who anybody thinks was behind this. R***** has his own ideas about things, but from what I know of him, he's the sort of person who will try to help folks who need it, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the only thing that matters right now.

Thank you, buddy. Keep thy head up.

• people's peopls lives are going to be incomplete forever. that can not be changed. once they are as taken care of as best a human can provide, which it appears most are, it is time to find out what 'the full weight of justice' looks like.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    That lurky strutter that works at Stereo Jacks "axefoley" is good.

• edith head said:
    vintageinfants said:
    SoulOnIce check in?

seriously.

i saw anna post on facebook so everything must be cool with her and cas

i know he hasn't been around here in a while. anyone got him on the facebooks?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    sorry, i should have said something. soulonice is fine

• Horrible and sickening all this. Wish the victims and their families strength.

• Bad shit, stay up Bostonians.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    "The speculation about Patriot's Day's significance was undoubtedly inspired by the fact that this week does contain a number of unhappy anniversaries: the Oklahoma City Bombing (April 19, 1995), the Waco assault (April 19, 1993), the Columbine School Shooting (April 20, 1999), and the Virginia Tech massacre (April 16, 2007), for starters. Two of those tragedies--the Virginia Tech massacre and the Waco assault--were on Monday, the Patriot's Day of those years."

You left out the Oklahoma City bombing which was two days after Patriots Day on April 19, 1995.

Now a fertilizer plant near Waco blows up, almost to the day on the 20th anniversary of the end of the Waco siege. What in the hell is going on?

That fertilizer video kinda fucked me up. Not so much the explosion (Which was crazy) but the kid has pure terror and shock in his voice.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    That lurky strutter that works at Stereo Jacks "axefoley" is good.
    Thx sun. My friend was in the second blast, caught a bunch of shrapnel and was burned pretty badly. He's gonna be ok though, his friends he was with were seriously hurt though. One lost a leg I'm told. Shit is awful, the vibes have pretty tense here the last few days.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Please dude...
    HarveyCanal said:
    To everyone, Post more about music....

JectWon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Please dude...
    HarveyCanal said:

*Begin singing voice* FUCK OFF *End singing voice*

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    JectWon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Please dude...
    HarveyCanal said:

*Begin singing voice* FUCK OFF *End singing voice*

Hey, it's your own advice in your own words...you can sing whatever you want to yourself.

----

My condolences to all Strutters who have been affected by the Boston Marathon bombings.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Frank said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    "The speculation about Patriot's Day's significance was undoubtedly inspired by the fact that this week does contain a number of unhappy anniversaries: the Oklahoma City Bombing (April 19, 1995), the Waco assault (April 19, 1993), the Columbine School Shooting (April 20, 1999), and the Virginia Tech massacre (April 16, 2007), for starters. Two of those tragedies--the Virginia Tech massacre and the Waco assault--were on Monday, the Patriot's Day of those years."

You left out the Oklahoma City bombing which was two days after Patriots Day on April 19, 1995.

Now a fertilizer plant near Waco blows up, almost to the day on the 20th anniversary of the end of the Waco siege. What in the hell is going on?

It's hard not to tie all that together, but every fertilizer plant is a bomb waiting to blow. It's a building full of explosive material in a small town with a volunteer fire department, so it's a disaster waiting to happen. Allegedly the factory was already fined for not having good preventative safety policies. It's possible it was an attack, but more than likely terrorists would have stolen the fertilizer and blow up something with political significance.

Two big questions are why is something that explosive allowed to be that close to a town and why do we have billions to fight wars but every town doesn't even have a fully trained paid fire department ready for emergencies. My understanding is that the majority of fire departments int he US are voluntary. Says a lot about the brave people that volunteer and the low life government officials who don't care about regular citizens.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts