Explosions at the Boston Marathon.

Comments

• despite the fact that its still horrific that two families are missing members tonight, im very thankful that your family wasn't immediately affected.

let us know if there's anyone who needs anything.

• Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    The xanadu is ok.

good news.

were you downtown?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

NYPost (known for quality!) is alleging that the suspect is a Saudi national. I haven't read anything confirming that anywhere else.

• ..... dbl

• D.B. Coop, Glad to hear you and your family are OK.

This shit is truly horrible and fucked up.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Boston reporters are using cellular networks to transmit their information as we speak. It could be that some people simply cannot get through because everyone is attempting to make calls at the same time.

The New York Post is still standing by its coverage right now. They could be right?!? Lest us not forget some of the news TMZ breaks all the time. These tabloids can sometimes, supposedly, pay for sources within hospitals and the like.

• plenty of conflicting reports coming from all sorts of unnamed "officials", i especially wouldn't trust the ny post.

glad to hear the boston strutteurs are unharmed.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    day said:
    J*stin - the police commissioner just gave this # out for families trying to locate people. 617-635-4500

My thoughts are with you.

*edit - also this: http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions

Thanks, D*****, I just finally got a text saying they're OK. They were at the exact spot of the first explosion about two hours before it happened, but were out of the area by the time it did.

Now that I'm not flooded with worry, I'm starting to get very, very angry.

The terror and confusion is palpable here. Holy fuck . Really glad your family's alright.

http://www.boston.com/video/viral_page/?/services/player/bcpid1367773107001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAA6piHY~,DqRT40XOAr9OWST-YiEQyzUCo3g3L-Af&bctid=2303076923001

• day said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    day said:
    J*stin - the police commissioner just gave this # out for families trying to locate people. 617-635-4500

My thoughts are with you.

*edit - also this: http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions

Thanks, D*****, I just finally got a text saying they're OK. They were at the exact spot of the first explosion about two hours before it happened, but were out of the area by the time it did.

Now that I'm not flooded with worry, I'm starting to get very, very angry.

The terror and confusion is palpable here. Holy fuck . Really glad your family's alright.

http://www.boston.com/video/viral_page/?/services/player/bcpid1367773107001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAA6piHY~,DqRT40XOAr9OWST-YiEQyzUCo3g3L-Af&bctid=2303076923001

this video is haunting. barely any talking. just working to get to the hurt people.

my god.

• SoulOnIce check in?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    SoulOnIce check in?

seriously.

i saw anna post on facebook so everything must be cool with her and cas

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "The speculation about Patriot's Day's significance was undoubtedly inspired by the fact that this week does contain a number of unhappy anniversaries: the Oklahoma City Bombing (April 19, 1995), the Waco assault (April 19, 1993), the Columbine School Shooting (April 20, 1999), and the Virginia Tech massacre (April 16, 2007), for starters. Two of those tragedies--the Virginia Tech massacre and the Waco assault--were on Monday, the Patriot's Day of those years."

• One of the dead is an 8 y/o. That's rough. I hope everyone the best.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    this is really sad. RIP to the deceased. best wishes to the wounded.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    OK, New York Post seems to be backing away from their earlier reports, in a relatively positive development...

• This is so sad. I lived in Boston for seven very good years- met my wife, found a career and a life there. Love that city, and Patriots Day is such a big deal there- everyone's out, off work while the rest of the world is at work, and through a morning baseball game (only one in the MLB season) and the marathon, it is just a GREAT day to live there.

Prayers with all those hurt, tears to all the photos of first responders & good samaritans. Fuck whoever did this.

• Patton Oswalt - 3 hours ago ??

Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    You've just run 26 miles, your dehydrated and running on fumes, but you've achieved something massive and it's over. THEN some wacko tries to blow you a those around you to bits. What the fuck. Peace to all in Boston.

• futurefuture 8 Posts
    Shit pisses me off. My heart goes out to everyone in the area and the people in the explosion.

• My 19yo niece attends a small college in downtown Boston, her bf was in the marathon.
    Been at work all night freaking, just got word they're both fine.

This is just horrible. I fucking love Boston, feels like a sister city to nola
    when I go there, with the age, uniqueness and drinking culture.

Peace to everyone in Boss Town.

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    Anyone care to speculate on who the perpetrator(s) are?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    username said:

I hope not.

Unless you have some facts to go on, speculation in this kind of situation is really distasteful, imo.

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    Well, someone at the press conference was yelling out about the authorities
    keeping the crowds calm moments BEFORE the bomb blast, perhaps insinuating
    a plot to further gun control.

• Dude, stop.
    Be respectful at least for the first twenty four.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    username said:

I hope not.

Unless you have some facts to go on, speculation in this kind of situation is really distasteful, imo.

I agree. But without getting too specific, and since no group is stepping forward, this tragedy feels like it might be homegrown. But we'll see.

A friend's father-in-law went to the hospital today because of the explosion. My friend's wife was in the race. Her father is in critical condition, but has stabilized. I don't know too much else, but having heard about all of the amputations, I just hope he is in a position to make a full recovery.

They have young kids, and I just can't imagine having to explain to them why their granddad almost died today. And who knows what they saw, but since they were there to watch their mom in the race, they probably saw everything.

I'm pretty sickened with all this.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    username said:

Take that stuff the Above Top Secret.com

That guy was a a-hole to blurt that out as the first question at the first conference while people laying dying in the hospitals. Wait until you have an official story to contradict before you start in with this stuff. Speculation right now by anybody, including the main stream media only after a story, is just plain fuckery.

Right now it's time to mourn the dead and heal the survivors while collecting evidence about the crime.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    username said:

I guess 'distasteful' was an understatement.

Please go away.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just a few things of note.

- Seeing people run directly to those in need seconds after the blast is amazing. I hope I would react the same. But those people are incredible.

- I saw a google doc early where people across Boston were offering places for people who needed somewhere to sleep and refuge for all the people who can't head home. Others offering their air miles or hotel vouchers for anyone in need.

Today you see the worst of humans and the best.

• Shit was definitely wild all over the city today, thankfully me and all my people's are good but I cant imagine how the people who can't say that feel right now.

Offered up my spot in Cambridge but it seems like there is plenty of places for people cause I never heard anything.

Apparently the jfk museum issue was an electrical fire - so crazy that it happened at the same time

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    These zealots have chosen the wrong city and wrong people as the object of their bigotry. And they may pay for it dearly.

Westboro to picket Boston funerals blames fag marriage for bombings