NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Questioning the greatness of Wilt is like questioning the greatness of James Brown.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    Now if he put up 75 against Bill Russell.....

Chamberlain averaged exactly 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds a game during those 142 games, the point totals brought down a bit by his late-in-career transformation from relentless scoring machine to more well-rounded player. In the early years Wilt scored 50 or more points seven times against Russell, including a high of 62 on January 14, 1962. By the time we could start referring to these men as "aging warriors," the numbers were a bit more back to earth. Wilt's high game in their final year was 35, and three times he scored in single figures.
    Russell's totals against Wilt were 14.5 points and 23.7 rebounds per game. His highest-scoring game against his arch rival was 37.

do some homework

The fact that you can get 50 or more on numerous occasions says something about the defensive schemes (or lack thereof) more than anything.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Menckenography said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Chamberlain averaged exactly 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds a game during those 142 games, the point totals brought down a bit by his late-in-career transformation from relentless scoring machine to more well-rounded player. In the early years Wilt scored 50 or more points seven times against Russell, including a high of 62 on January 14, 1962. By the time we could start referring to these men as "aging warriors," the numbers were a bit more back to earth. Wilt's high game in their final year was 35, and three times he scored in single figures.
    Russell's totals against Wilt were 14.5 points and 23.7 rebounds per game. His highest-scoring game against his arch rival was 37.

do some homework

"But the bottom line was that Russell's Celtics went 85-57 against Chamberlain's Philadelphia/San Francisco Warriors, Philadelphia 76ers, and Los Angeles Lakers. More significantly, Russell's team beat Chamberlain's team in seven of eight playoff series. Again, nothing to cause a seismic shift; Russell, the most successful team- sport athlete ever, won 11 world championships in 13 years, which is why, apparently, he's considered worthy of a second retirement ceremony 30 years after the fact, his No. 6 being raised again to the FleetCenter rafters tonight."

GAME OVER

hey newjack this aint about Russel vs Wilt. Any educated fan of the game knows Russell has more rings.

Rockadelic said:
    Questioning the greatness of Wilt is like questioning the greatness of James Brown.

But James Brown didnt use a sampler and u didnt see him so what does it matter.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

do some homework

The fact that you can get 50 or more on numerous occasions says something about the defensive schemes (or lack thereof) more than anything.

yup cause those unathletic white boys didnt practice defense in '67 and Russell's Defensive acumen was questionable.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/index.cgi?month=3&day=2&year=1962

Final box scores look like something out of an Allstar Game. You can't argue the fact that numbers are inflated relative to today's scoring.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

do some homework

yup cause those unathletic white boys didnt practice defense in '67 and Russell's Defensive acumen was questionable.

Lemme say that slowly for you...de-fen-sive....scheme......

28-32 on Free throws in that game....THAT is impressive for any player in any era.

Menckenography said:

He has more rings because he was a better player and he didn't choke in big games.

Russell would never have lowered himself to become a Globetrotter. Winning was secondary to celebrity and getting laid in Wilt's life.

I agree.....Russell was the more focused of the two.

But there is no question Wilt was the better athlete.

How is playing for the Globetrotters lowering oneself?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's MLJ dude, don't waste your time.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

wow

I cant wait for tonight. Can Deng be that dude? He wasnt there in the last matchup.

Kevin Love's FG% is not necessarily good for a low-post player, but the man is averaging 25 and 13 this season...........Those are Shaq numbers right there.....39 and 17 tonight against the Clippers

Bulls/Heat in the East Finals.

batmon said:
    I cant wait for tonight. Can Deng be that dude? He wasnt there in the last matchup.

ass kickin

batmon said:
    batmon said:

ass kickin

Definitely not a good look for the Pacers.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    batmon said:

ass kickin

were good but aint good enuff. once you shut down hibbert and our inside game shit is a wrap.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    batmon said:

ass kickin

were good but aint good enuff. once you shut down hibbert and our inside game shit is a wrap.

in all fairness, Indy was playing against the best defense in the L.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    batmon said:

ass kickin

in all fairness, Indy was playing against the best defense in the L.

We had a good game in the first half and the Bulls came out in the third and shut shit down.

yuichi said:
    Kevin Love's FG% is not necessarily good for a low-post player,

Dude shoots as many "3's" as most point guards

Rockadelic said:
    yuichi said:

Hes a stretch 4 and not a back o the basket player.

Theyre gonna need a low post threat to compete.

Look at what Bynum and Gasol did to Miamis interior.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The Warriors are driving me nuts like usual. It's apparent that while they compete better than before, and give more effort on defense, they are in the exact same situation they are always in. Not in the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a good draft pick. That's made worse by the fact that they're likely to lose their pick in a dumb trade they made a while ago. They need to tank, play all the young guys and trade Monta Ellis. Alas, i don't see anything like this happening. I think Coach Jackson is trying to impart a new attitude upon the team so he won't tank, and the owners don't want to really shake the team up right now, which means we are stuck, just like we usually are in mediocrity.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    motown67 said:
    The Warriors are driving me nuts like usual. It's apparent that while they compete better than before, and give more effort on defense, they are in the exact same situation they are always in. Not in the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a good draft pick. That's made worse by the fact that they're likely to lose their pick in a dumb trade they made a while ago. They need to tank, play all the young guys and trade Monta Ellis. Alas, i don't see anything like this happening. I think Coach Jackson is trying to impart a new attitude upon the team so he won't tank, and the owners don't want to really shake the team up right now, which means we are stuck, just like we usually are in mediocrity.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) before the season started that Jackson was pretty much set up to fail because he's a discipline- and defense-oriented coach being put in charge of a bunch of guys with no discipline and no interest in playing any sort of defense. That argument seems about right.

Rockadelic said:
    yuichi said:

You're right! Reminds me of Sheed in that regard.

motown67 said:

If the Clippers can turn it around, the Warriors can. They need to entice ONE big name and they'll be in better shape. Oakland is not necessarily a "destination city" like LA, NY, Miami though....so it's gonna be tough. Neither is Sacramento.

Curry and Ellis have to go. They need to clean house.

Oakland is more "attractive" than milwaukee, toronto, detriot, and indiana.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Uhh, in case you forgot, Oakland is in the Bay Area, which has a big draw.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    motown67 said:

Especially if you like the weed. Not that any professional athletes would partake, of course.

motown67 said:

Apparently not much for the best pro basketball players...

I know it's Gerald Green and the Nets, but look at where dude's heat is at.