NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    batmon said:
    white_tea said:
    Mark it down, fellas... March 17, in Chicago, Nuevo York Knicks v. Los Bulls (seriously, it's "Latin Night"). Should be interesting! I still kinda think the Bulls and Knicks will battle for the right of facing the eventual victors El Heat, but I'm also optimistic of a different outcome.

Rip is finally back for the Bulls and is real rusty, but when everyone is healthy, the Bulls are as deep as anyone. Omer Asik having a little sophomore slump. Other than that, Chicago is fine.

I wanna see yall in the Playoffs.

You're talking about the Pacers though, right?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    white_tea said:
    batmon said:
    white_tea said:
    Mark it down, fellas... March 17, in Chicago, Nuevo York Knicks v. Los Bulls (seriously, it's "Latin Night"). Should be interesting! I still kinda think the Bulls and Knicks will battle for the right of facing the eventual victors El Heat, but I'm also optimistic of a different outcome.

Rip is finally back for the Bulls and is real rusty, but when everyone is healthy, the Bulls are as deep as anyone. Omer Asik having a little sophomore slump. Other than that, Chicago is fine.

I wanna see yall in the Playoffs.

You're talking about the Pacers though, right?

Yes.

Yall are stiil to dependant on him to go crazy. Who is your second option?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yeah, what's up with Lamar? I haven't his the show, but does he address his unhappiness in teh reality programming?

Bulls second option right now is All Star Luol Deng. Ideally, Rip will be a solid option, too, and Korver is starting to kind his stroke (pause). But, yes, Bulls' road to the Finals has like zero margin of error -- everyone has to play to the top of their ability or else it won't happen. Which makes it more fun, I guess...

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    50th anniversary of Wilt scoring 100. The local Philly station showed an interview with Wilt from '99 where he dropped the following facemelters:

- the night of the game, he had been up for 2 days straight (remember this is the same guy who slam-dunked 20,000 women)
    - by the time he got into the 70s the knicks were out of contention, but annoyed, so they fouled every sixer not named WIlt so that he wouldn't get close to 100
    - wilt's teammates wanted him to get it, so they started passing it to him in the backcourt, even though he was the center
    - when the game was over, he got a ride home with 3 other knicks because a) this was the 60s and the nba was not ballin', and b) he lived in New York!
    - although he passed out in the car from exhaustion, he would wake up every so often and hear the knicks guys saying "i can't believe we let this son of a bitch score 100" hahaaa

I didnt know dude averaged 48 mins for an ENTIRE season. Thats some superhero shit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:
    I didnt know dude averaged 48 mins for an ENTIRE season. Thats some superhero shit.

If he were playing at Lamarcus Aldridge or D'Andre Jordan's speed he wouldn't last 48 minutes. The game is so much faster now....Numbers are inflated = not impressed. Not to take away from his legacy though.

By the way, I am a fan of Lamarcus Aldrige now.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:

If he were playing at Lamarcus Aldridge or D'Andre Jordan's speed he wouldn't last 48 minutes. The game is so much faster now....Numbers are inflated = not impressed. Not to take away from his legacy though.

Why do cats think they didnt fastbreak in the 60's?

You think they ran halfcourt offense for 48 mins?

How do u score 100 points playing slow.

ALL those white dudes were slow.

When does shit change? Was Doug Moe's Denver teams SLOW? Was RUN TMC slow?

Was Bill Russell Slow? The greatest of their generation can play w/ ANY generation.

This is a tired argument. Ill take Black Jesus over most of these kids.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

Why do cats think they didnt fastbreak in the 60's?

You think they ran halfcourt offense for 48 mins?

How do u score 100 points playing slow.

ALL those white dudes were slow.

When does shit change? Was Doug Moe's Denver teams SLOW? Was RUN TMC slow?

Was Bill Russell Slow? The greatest of their generation can play w/ ANY generation.

This is a tired argument. Ill take Black Jesus over most of these kids.

Why celebrate it, when you haven't seen it in person?

100 points against dudes 6inches smaller than you playing in their chuck taylors and booty shorts.

NBA history, sure. But nothing to go crazy over....

btw, you sound old.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yuichi said:

btw, you sound old.

I am old....and you need some educatin'

This was not just a 100 point game, which in itself is ridiculous.

This is THE game that made the NBA realize that their self imposed but not spoken quota of 2-3 black players per team could not survive.

Yeah you're right that scoring 100 against a mostly white, slower, weaker and shorter opponent was somewhat easy for Wilt.

But make no mistake, Wilt Chamberlain was not just one of the greatest basketball players of all time he was one of the Top Ten Athletes of the last 100 years.

Dude was a freak.

Again, I'm not talking about his CAREER. He probably would've been a force in any era.

Just not buying the AMAZINGNESS of 100points in that era....

2:13 "The league's deadliest man" establishing dominant inside position with ease and not even getting a double team (which is standard in today's league). lol And you wanna tell me about speed being the same? That' evidence enough right there....

Rockadelic said:
    yuichi said:

btw, you sound old.

I am old....and you need some educatin'

This was not just a 100 point game, which in itself is ridiculous.

This is THE game that made the NBA realize that their self imposed but not spoken quota of 2-3 black players per team could not survive.

Yeah you're right that scoring 100 against a mostly white, slower, weaker and shorter opponent was somewhat easy for Wilt.

But make no mistake, Wilt Chamberlain was not just one of the greatest basketball players of all time he was one of the Top Ten Athletes of the last 100 years.

Dude was a freak.

I just have problems with unfounded comments like these.

Also, VERY FEW people talk about this game in the context you just put it. It carries more weight in terms of importance in NBA history. "Mythical, 100".....(AT THE TIME).....

I'm 5'8". Gimme a rock and I'd put up 100 at my local elementary school.

SHAQ

one of the Top Ten Athletes of the last 100 years.

Michael Jordan
    Muhammed Ali
    Michael Johnson?
    Lebron James?
    Usain Bolt?

This could be a verrry.....interesting convo.

yuichi said:
    one of the Top Ten Athletes of the last 100 years.

Michael Jordan
    Muhammed Ali
    Michael Johnson?
    Lebron James?
    Usain Bolt?

This could be a verrry.....interesting convo.

Ali would be one for sure

yuichi said:
    I'm 5'8". Gimme a rock and I'd put up 100 at my local elementary school.

You need to do some more reading.

Gawdamn, gimme my 2 minutes back! Didn't even get through that entire clip.......

Deron Williams just had an amazing game.....couldn't miss....handled the ball every possession....went for an unbelievable 57 points!

A little more than half of what Wilt went off for.

yuichi said:
    Gawdamn, gimme my 2 minutes back! Didn't even get through that entire clip.......

U think he NBA started when Magic and Bird entered.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Here's what amazes me about the 2012 Slam Magazine NBA fandom

They have no problem believing that the Rucker Park legends from bitd are every bit as good as the And 1 crew....

but

......they can't seem to comprehend that cream of the NBA players of that era were just as good as today's players

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    batmon said:

U think he NBA started when Kobe entered.

I already said my piece about Wilt's 100 point game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Here's what amazes me about the 2012 Slam Magazine NBA fandom

They have no problem believing that the Rucker Park legends from bitd are every bit as good as the And 1 crew....

but

......they can't seem to comprehend that cream of the NBA players of that era were just as good as today's players

Well, that's quite the blanket statement!

Just to clarify, I am not questioning Wilt's influence and dominance in the early going of the league, I just have a problem with the perception that somehow Wilt's 100 point game is the end-all be-all of scoring performances. It's an easy and frankly lazy way for your ordinary fan or journalist to note the accomplishments of a player.

yuichi said:

You posted the wrong clip at first....that's why I said this.

[del]
    yuichi said:
    I already said my piece about Wilt's 100 point game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop putting words in my mouth.
    [/del]

Now if he put up 75 against Bill Russell.....

yuichi said:
    Now if he put up 75 against Bill Russell.....

Chamberlain averaged exactly 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds a game during those 142 games, the point totals brought down a bit by his late-in-career transformation from relentless scoring machine to more well-rounded player. In the early years Wilt scored 50 or more points seven times against Russell, including a high of 62 on January 14, 1962. By the time we could start referring to these men as "aging warriors," the numbers were a bit more back to earth. Wilt's high game in their final year was 35, and three times he scored in single figures.
    Russell's totals against Wilt were 14.5 points and 23.7 rebounds per game. His highest-scoring game against his arch rival was 37.

do some homework