Racist Kramer...

Comments

• That said, talk to Jimmy the Greek. Or Al Campanis.

did either of those dude's ever make a public apology? i remember Jimmy just digging himself a deeper hole by trying to explain his point... which ultimately was

• I would like to hear Michael Richards explain it himself.

"I........ flubbed a punchline?"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you 'botched' that quote

• you 'botched' that quote

Hey thanks. Do you double as the grammar police?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    soulstrut catnip.

This is a Clipse/Lil Wayne Thread?!!!?!?!?!?

thats more like Soulstrut KY Jelly

hows everyone doing today?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I would like to hear Michael Richards explain it himself.

"I........ flubbed a punchline?"

Whatever. John Kerry was explictly talking about George Bush being "stuck in Iraq" because he didn't take the effort to make himself "smart" about the history and culture of the region. Its only when you take that ONE sentence, without the preceding or following, that it can be so utterly misconstrued as to being about the soldiers.

Aside from that, yes, I would like to hear what Michael Richards has to say about this. Who wouldn't?

• Actually I was waiting for that. You dudes have gotten slow.

• How was that not racist?!

good question, maybe you should ask some of the people laughing and enjoying dude's comments in the video.

Dude's career is really over now.....not even a Surreal Life appearance in his cards now!

i don't know about this. he could always just give a public apology and things would be back to normal for him and maybe even get more work i mean after all... he is a white man in america.

Oh snap!

That said, talk to Trent Lott[/b]

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    SO GLAD this has nothing to do with Larry David.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

wasn't he running for Minority Whip? Anyone know what happened with that?

• wasn't he running for Minority Whip? Anyone know what happened with that?

sounds like the perfect job for him.

badumbump pssh!

• That said, talk to Trent Lott[/b]

He got the job.

• SO GLAD this has nothing to do with Larry David.

Are you my caucasian??

• Whatever. John Kerry was explictly talking about George Bush being "stuck in Iraq" because he didn't take the effort to make himself "smart" about the history and culture of the region. Its only when you take that ONE sentence, without the preceding or following, that it can be so utterly misconstrued as to being about the soldiers.

My point exactly.... Richards is totally beyond explaining. He might have been able to walk away if he left it at the hanging upside down comment because it was so out of nowhere (even if still in poor taste). But now? Dude went on to the point beyond any sane individual would have gone. I don't think there's an explanation he can give that would really explain anything.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

sounds like the perfect job for him.

badumbump pssh!

I set 'em up, you knock 'em down

peace,

-santamonicaandsepulveda

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I'm pretty sure he got the position. I'm told Lott has been a fan of whips since he was a young boy, so he was pretty pumped. The fact that it's a minority whip is icing on the cake.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude went on to the point beyond any sane individual would have gone. I don't think there's an explanation he can give that would really explain anything.

Actually, I don't think Richards did anythign remotely "insane". He simply expressed a sentiment that many people feel and have no problem expressing in private company. He chose a very poor forum in which to make his feelings known however. But in terms of rational thought, I'm sure he was being quite sane at the time. Sane people call Black people all kinds of names, all the time.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    let me explain. I may have used the wrong phrase living rough, what i meant to say is that they all had tons of hurdles and failures after seinfield and only a few actually made it out alright. They may have money but cant seem to land any success on par with there rolls in seinfield. Eline is doing alright now, after about 4 canceled shows throughout the years, lackluster tv cameos, and some wack movies since seinfields demise. George made a bunch of terrible movie's weak tv cameos, and is now starting to get back on track.. Michael Richards had a show kramer i think which failed miseribly and now he is screaming racial slurs at the crowd at small comedy bookings. So maybe now living rough but they did struggle for a while career wise and they still aint in the clear yet.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    But in terms of rational thought, I'm sure he was being quite sane at the time. Sane people call Black people all kinds of names, all the time.

Oliver come on. Is this what a PhD in ethnic studies gets you?

A sane person is being rational by telling a brother to shut the fuck up because 50 years ago he would have been lynched for speaking his mind?

No.

Matter of fact, you're not under the umbrella of rational or sane if you even think that shit to yourself.

Sorry.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Matter of fact, you're not under the umbrella of rational or sane if you even think that shit to yourself.

Then a whole lotta people are "insane".

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dude went on to the point beyond any sane individual would have gone. I don't think there's an explanation he can give that would really explain anything.

Actually, I don't think Richards did anythign remotely "insane". He simply expressed a sentiment that many people feel and have no problem expressing in private company. He chose a very poor forum in which to make his feelings known however. But in terms of rational thought, I'm sure he was being quite sane at the time. Sane people call Black people all kinds of names, all the time.

not on the same level, but I was hanging out at my girls place this weekend and her landlord (who's dayjob is as a middle school teacher in the inner city) chatted us up about the way black kids are raised. In her world of thought she has justified that Black people are slightly more savage than white folks cause they come from a line of slavery, therefrore the parents don't know how to properly civilize their children without the use of brute force.

It took all my restraint not to say something on that, but the real scary thing is she goes into a classroom everyday with this mentality and I'm more than postiive it comes across in her interactions with the students.

talk about a fucked up system

• Seinfeld, Lopez respond.
    ((from the AP))

Seinfeld issued a statement saying he was "sick over this."

"I'm sure Michael is also sick over this horrible, horrible mistake. It is so extremely offensive. I feel terrible for all the people who have been hurt," Seinfeld said.

Comic Paul Rodriguez, who was at the club, said he thought Richards' remarks crossed the line.

"Once the word comes out of your mouth and you don't happen to be African-American, then you have a whole lot of explaining," he said. "Freedom of speech has its limitations and I think Michael Richards found those limitations."

Comedian George Lopez told Los Angeles television station KTLA that he thought Richards' lack of stand-up experience may have been a factor.

"The question is you have an actor who is trying to be a comedian who doesn't know what to do when an audience is disruptive," Lopez said. "He's an actor whose show has been off the air, he shouldn't ever be on a stand-up gig.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• Dude went on to the point beyond any sane individual would have gone. I don't think there's an explanation he can give that would really explain anything.

I'm with fatback on this. It's true that there are lots of racists in America today. But Richards is a guy who lives in hollywood and has thrived in that system. He just made himself a punchline, a punching bag and an unemployed actor in one unfunny calamitous outburst. In hollywood, in the world of celebrity, what he did was suicidal.

Also. Whoah. That was just vile--talking about lynching like that. What the hell is wrong with dude?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fatback,

Dude - you're missing my point by a country mile.

Racism may be irrational as a general philosophy but the belief in racist thoughts as well as the expression of said thoughts is completely socially normal in America. To treat it as anything else than that is to actually treat racism as if it were some kind of aberration vs. part of the fabric of social life (and the same goes for sexism).

My point isn't to defend Richards. I mean, c'mon, get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

My point is that we shouldn't treat him like he's insane. An insane person, by virtue of the term, is not completely responsible for his or her actions (hence, an insanity plea in a murder case).

Rather, I think we should treat Richards as a completely rational and sane person who also harbors some ugly racist views. Which, unfortunately, is reflective of millions of other people who are similarly rational and sane people who harbor some completely reprehensible views on other people and should thus, be held accountable for them.

That's why I find this whole, "I'm anti-semitic/homophobic/racist/sexist BUT I'm also an alcoholic" defense to be such bullshit: it's people avoiding responsibility for their actions.

So yeah, I'm just saying: let's not treat Richards like he's crazy. He may have lost his temper but I think what he said is actually the realest revelation of what's in his mind rather than the idea that he was temporarily taken over by aliens.

But in terms of rational thought, I'm sure he was being quite sane at the time. Sane people call Black people all kinds of names, all the time.

Oliver come on. Is this what a PhD in ethnic studies gets you?

A sane person is being rational by telling a brother to shut the fuck up because 50 years ago he would have been lynched for speaking his mind?

No.

Sorry.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    From the E! Entertainment intranet

Seinfeld Star Loses Cool in Racist Rant
    by Sarah Hall
    Mon, 20 Nov 2006 02:12:09 PM PST

Cosmo Kramer, we never knew ya.

Seinfeld star Michael Richards left patrons at Los Angeles' Laugh Factory stunned and far from amused Friday night when he unleashed a racist tirade against two African-American men in the audience.

The men had reportedly been heckling Richards during the performance and apparently pushed him past his boiling point.

In video footage of the incident (available on TMZ.com), an enraged Richards screams: "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f--king fork up your ass." He then goes on to use the N-word repeatedly, appearing completely out of control, as he paces back and forth on the stage.

The Laugh Factory held a press conference Monday, with club spokesman and fellow comic Paul Rodriguez saying that Richards would be permanently banned from the Hollywood landmark. He said that Richards performed at the club again on Saturday night only because he had indicated he wanted to apologize for his remarks, but never did.[/b]

Jerry Seinfeld released a statement saying he was "sick over" the incident.

"I'm sure Michael is also sick over this horrible, horrible mistake. It is so extremely offensive. I feel terrible for all the people who have been hurt," Seinfeld said.