• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I got a Nasty Nas Halftime 12" that says the Pats
    take the AFC East. Ed Powers gets first dibs if he wants to
    put his wax where his fish is.

i hate that song

Whatever, I just put it up since it was kinda
    football-related and worth a little coin. Of course,
    I don't see you offering anything else, so if you aren't
    confident you're porpoises can take the AFC East, I understand.

• SoI, is Rodney really back? That dood was old when he got hurt. Haven't seen him much in PS action. I have my concerns. One of my favorite players though. As nasty and ornery as they come, a throwback.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Dood, get ready for the pain that is "Aaron Brooks quarterbacking your favorite team." Life is about to get rough.....

Put me down as one of those who thinks that Aaron Brooks will flourish away from the wreck known as the New Orleans Saints organization.

SoI, is Rodney really back? That dood was old when he got hurt. Haven't seen him much in PS action. I have my concerns. One of my favorite players though. As nasty and ornery as they come, a throwback.

Yeah, he's back. I have my concerns, too - they were taking it real
    slow with him in the pre-season, although he was one of the only
    starters to play big minutes in the final game and was making tackles.
    I really hope he makes a strong comeback, not just for the team but
    because he is one of my favorite players in the league - a nasty mother
    on the field, and a class act all the way off of it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    so if you aren't

Dolphins 11-5[/b]

@Pittsburgh .....win
    Buffalo ........win
    Tennessee ......win
    @Houston .........win
    @New England ......win
    @N.Y. Jets .......win
    Green Bay .......win
    Week 8 BYE
    @Chicago ........win
    Kansas City ......loss
    Minnesota .....win
    @Detroit ......win
    Jacksonville ......loss
    New England ......loss
    @Buffalo 1:00pm .....loss
    N.Y. Jets 8:30pm .....win
    @Indianapolis 1:00pm .....loss

Patriots 10-6[/b]

Buffalo .....win
    @N.Y. Jets .....win
    Denver .....loss
    cincinnati.......loss
    Miami ......loss
    Week 6 BYE
    @Buffalo 1:00pm ......loss
    @Minnesota 8:30pm .....win
    Indianapolis 8:15pm ......loss
    N.Y. Jets 1:00pm ......win
    @Green Bay 1:00pm .....win
    Chicago 1:00pm ......loss
    Detroit 1:00pm ......win
    @Miami 1:00pm ........win
    Houston 1:00pm ........win
    @Jacksonville 1:00pm .......win
    @Tennessee ....win

You are giving us WAY too many home losses, but
    I could see the Pats being around 10-6 ... with the
    ease of scehdule maybe 11-5, if key players stay healthy.

Miami I see as 9-7, maybe 10-6 with a little good fortune.

Starting off against a wounded Steelers team doesn't hurt, huh?

• Dood, get ready for the pain that is "Aaron Brooks quarterbacking your favorite team." Life is about to get rough.....

Put me down as one of those who thinks that Aaron Brooks will flourish away from the wreck known as the New Orleans Saints organization.

Dood. You can't blame the Saints for Aaron Brooks. He has his own problems. Mainly, he doesn't have the mental makeup to be any more than an average QB, although his physical skill set ranks up there w/ any QB in the league. The things the Saints did to somewhat sabotage his success were a) promote him too quickly over Blake w/ no real competition and b) trying to reign him in and make him a "pocket passer". He succeeded in 2000 largely on his athleticism.

Still, I could see him putting up 3400-3800 yards and 27-31 TDs in Oaktown this year, just cos of the talent surrounding.

• so if you aren't

Dolphins 11-5[/b]

@Pittsburgh .....win
    Buffalo ........win
    Tennessee ......win
    @Houston .........win
    @New England ......win
    @N.Y. Jets .......win
    Green Bay .......win
    Week 8 BYE
    @Chicago ........win
    Kansas City ......loss
    Minnesota .....win
    @Detroit ......win
    Jacksonville ......loss
    New England ......loss
    @Buffalo 1:00pm .....loss
    N.Y. Jets 8:30pm .....win
    @Indianapolis 1:00pm .....loss

Patriots 10-6[/b]

Buffalo .....win
    @N.Y. Jets .....win
    Denver .....loss
    cincinnati.......loss
    Miami ......loss
    Week 6 BYE
    @Buffalo 1:00pm ......loss
    @Minnesota 8:30pm .....win
    Indianapolis 8:15pm ......loss
    N.Y. Jets 1:00pm ......win
    @Green Bay 1:00pm .....win
    Chicago 1:00pm ......loss
    Detroit 1:00pm ......win
    @Miami 1:00pm ........win
    Houston 1:00pm ........win
    @Jacksonville 1:00pm .......win
    @Tennessee ....win

dude, i'm sorry, but'chinz is goown dahn damarrah. no way rahnd it.
    (translation: no way the Steelers lose tomorrow, nothing personal)

Dood, get ready for the pain that is "Aaron Brooks quarterbacking your favorite team." Life is about to get rough.....

Dood. You can't blame the Saints for Aaron Brooks. He has his own problems. Mainly, he doesn't have the mental makeup to be any more than an average QB, although his physical skill set ranks up there w/ any QB in the league. The things the Saints did to somewhat sabotage his success were a) promote him too quickly over Blake w/ no real competition and b) trying to reign him in and make him a "pocket passer". He succeeded in 2000 largely on his athleticism.

Still, I could see him putting up 3400-3800 yards and 27-31 TDs in Oaktown this year, just cos of the talent surrounding.

Not only do I blame the Saints (Haslett was an idiot, the Saints offensive scheme has been too predictable for too long, the Saints defense has been a joke for too long, Micky Loomis has been drafting like he's got a pea for a brain the past few years, Tom Benson is the biggest idiot of them all, etc.), but I also blame an environment of racism that basically projected mental shortcomings upon Brooks.

• Dood, get ready for the pain that is "Aaron Brooks quarterbacking your favorite team." Life is about to get rough.....

Not only do I blame the Saints (Haslett was an idiot, the Saints offensive scheme has been too predictable for too long, the Saints defense has been a joke for too long, Micky Loomis has been drafting like he's got a pea for a brain the past few years, Tom Benson is the biggest idiot of them all, etc.), but I also blame an environment of racism that basically projected mental shortcomings upon Brooks.

ohmygod. aaron brooks is a horrible quarterback. do you remember that backward pass a couple years ago?

Please. this is not the battle to fight. defend vince young or project blowed...anything. But aaron brooks sucks, is not a smart quarterback, and nor were the Raiders smart to sign him.

ohmygod. aaron brooks is a horrible quarterback. do you remember that backward pass a couple years ago?

Please. this is not the battle to fight. defend vince young or project blowed...anything. But aaron brooks sucks, is not a smart quarterback, and nor were the Raiders smart to sign him.

How many 4th quarter come-backs has this supposedly horrible QB orchestrated?

So he once threw a backwards pass. Jim Marshall once ran the length of the field in the wrong direction. And he's still a Hall of Famer.

Whatever though, let's just let Brooks have the chance to prove himself in Oakland.

• Not only do I blame the Saints (Haslett was an idiot, the Saints offensive scheme has been too predictable for too long, the Saints defense has been a joke for too long, Micky Loomis has been drafting like he's got a pea for a brain the past few years, Tom Benson is the biggest idiot of them all, etc.), but I also blame an environment of racism that basically projected mental shortcomings upon Brooks.

lol. I used to think that too....in 2002. After 5 years, it was more like "stupid is as stupid does". Backward passes to the LT. Gift-wrapped INTs to Broncos MLBs. AB helped dig his own grave mang.

Loomis ran the 2006 draft and we got 4 starters out of it. Wha'choo know about Roman Harper? Wha'choo know about Jahri Evans? Wha'choo know about Marques Colston?

Haslett butchered AB's chances to succeed, but again, AB's failure to grasp the finer points of the game like "leadership" and "game management" have been and will be his undoing.

So he once threw a backwards pass. Jim Marshall once ran the length of the field in the wrong direction. And he's still a Hall of Famer.

Whatever though, let's just let Brooks have the chance to prove himself in Oakland.

i haven't looked at their schedule, but given their team and division, i'd be surprised if they win more than 5 games.

there media guide this year is laughable, by the way. Just a b/w shot of a bandanged hand showing, "Number 1" with "Team Of the Decades," running up the side. Its a running joke in our office.

• How many 4th quarter come-backs has this supposedly horrible QB orchestrated?

I think he ended up engineering like in the 16-18 range as far as comebacks. Again, I'll never knock the man's pure physical skill.

Remember after the first two PS games when Raider fan was talking up Shane Walters and Tuiasosop as QBs? AB killed that though.

Dood. I don't know how hardcore you are, but I haven't missed a Saints play in about 6 or 7 years. I got Aaron Brooks sussed, and I say this as a former fan of the guy. I hope for the best for him in Oakland, but dood isn't gonna win any Super Bowls. Ever.

• Aaron Brooks, when asked on MNF what was the difference between playing in N.O. versus Oakland, "Well, I had to move all my stuff."

lol. I used to think that too....in 2002. After 5 years, it was more like "stupid is as stupid does". Backward passes to the LT. Gift-wrapped INTs to Broncos MLBs. AB helped dig his own grave mang.

Loomis ran the 2006 draft and we got 4 starters out of it. Wha'choo know about Roman Harper? Wha'choo know about Jahri Evans? Wha'choo know about Marques Colston?

Haslett butchered AB's chances to succeed, but again, AB's failure to grasp the finer points of the game like "leadership" and "game management" have been and will be his undoing.

Then how do explain his propenisty to run the 2-minute drill with such proven success?

While Brooks certainly contributed to many losses over the years with his turnovers, you can't blame him for a swiss cheese defense or playcalling that was so vanilla that it consistently set him up in dire 3rd and long situations. Also consider all the damn Saints receivers (Stallworth, Pathon, Boo Williams, etc.) who thought it was their God-given right to drop every third ball that hit them right in the hands, and I again need to see Brooks play for another team before judging him too harshly.

• Not only do I blame the Saints (Haslett was an idiot, the Saints offensive scheme has been too predictable for too long, the Saints defense has been a joke for too long, Micky Loomis has been drafting like he's got a pea for a brain the past few years, Tom Benson is the biggest idiot of them all, etc.), but I also blame an environment of racism that basically projected mental shortcomings upon Brooks.

Then how do explain his propenisty to run the 2-minute drill with such proven success?

While Brooks certainly contributed to many losses over the years with his turnovers, you can't blame him for a swiss cheese defense or playcalling that was so vanilla that it consistently set him up in dire 3rd and long situations. Also consider all the damn Saints receivers (Stallworth, Pathon, Boo Williams, etc.) who thought it was their God-given right to drop every third ball that hit them right in the hands, and I again need to see Brooks play for another team before judging him too harshly.

Won't argue your points about the offense. McCarthy and Shephered were inept.

The 2-minute drill thing is just that: playbook goes out the window and he was able to improvise and make plays.

AB made one of the top 5 plays I've ever seen in my life against SF in 2000. He scrambled around for like 30 seconds then threw an absolute laser to Willie Jack in the end zone. Amazing.

ME AND YOU NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ARGUING RIGHT NOW MANG!!! BB&G!!!!

I think he ended up engineering like in the 16-18 range as far as comebacks. Again, I'll never knock the man's pure physical skill.

Remember after the first two PS games when Raider fan was talking up Shane Walters and Tuiasosop as QBs? AB killed that though.

Dood. I don't know how hardcore you are, but I haven't missed a Saints play in about 6 or 7 years. I got Aaron Brooks sussed, and I say this as a former fan of the guy. I hope for the best for him in Oakland, but dood isn't gonna win any Super Bowls. Ever.

He's still the only QB to EVER lead the Saints to a playoff victory...even if we do really have Az Hakim to thank for it.

AB made one of the top 5 plays I've ever seen in my life against SF in 2000. He scrambled around for like 30 seconds then threw an absolute laser to Willie Jack in the end zone. Amazing.

I was at that game at Candlestick, playa. Just about everything that Brooks did towards the end of that game was amazing.

• He's still the only QB to EVER lead the Saints to a playoff victory...even if we do really have Az Hakim Brian Milne to thank for it.

• Bill Simmons piles on.

From his column today:

"(Thumbs up) To the Raiders, for having the foresight to team up Shell (the shakiest game coach of my lifetime) with Aaron Brooks (the dumbest QB of my lifetime). For gambling purposes, I feel like Marty McFly when he stumbled across Biff's sports almanac in "Back to the Future 2." This is too good to be true. I don't want to jinx it. In fact, let's move on. Quickly. Before somebody changes their mind here."

Bill Simmons piles on.

From his column today:

"(Thumbs up) To the Raiders, for having the foresight to team up Shell (the shakiest game coach of my lifetime) with Aaron Brooks (the dumbest QB of my lifetime). For gambling purposes, I feel like Marty McFly when he stumbled across Biff's sports almanac in "Back to the Future 2." This is too good to be true. I don't want to jinx it. In fact, let's move on. Quickly. Before somebody changes their mind here."

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

arm strength

Quarterbacks with excellent arm strength are usually successful against prevent defense...pitch and catch...having a brain is optional

Favre,Elway,Brooks

arm strength

Quarterbacks with excellent arm strength are usually successful against prevent defense...pitch and catch...having a brain is optional

Favre,Elway,Brooks

That makes some sense...but then again my old Tulane Green Wave favorite Nickie Hall had more arm strength than anyone I've ever seen and he couldn't quite catch on with the Packers back in the early '80's.

Here's a little tidbit I found on him...

Aug. 18, 1981 ??? The Packers placed quarterback Nickie Hall on injured reserve and raised suspicion that they were trying to illegally stash him. Hall, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound quarterback from Tulane, was the Packers??? 10th round draft pick and had shown promise in practice. But he didn???t play in the team???s scrimmage or first two exhibition games. Hall said he hurt his arm in the weight room. Coach Bart Starr refused comment on Hall???s injury. Hall was trying to become the first black quarterback since Charlie Brackins in 1955 to make the Packers??? roster.

• No Ben, no Hines Ward?

I could see the Dolphins coming out w/ the "W" tomorrow night? Daunte is gonna be fired up, tryna show the world he's no joke. Y'know, after being a joke last season. (cue The Love Boat theme...)

• No Ben, no Hines Ward?

I could see the Dolphins coming out w/ the "W" tomorrow night? Daunte is gonna be fired up, tryna show the world he's no joke. Y'know, after being a joke last season. (cue The Love Boat theme...)

That could put them and the Pats in a much tighter race. Move that from an "L" for Miami to a "W," and the AFC gets a lot tighter (speculatively).

Ed, I always said that Miami could win the East, but I don't see them in the Super Bowl. And, what happened to Buffalo finishing ahead of the Pats?

• I could see the Dolphins coming out w/ the "W" tomorrow night

um i don't think so

• It is almost insane to start throwing out Super Bowl predix for the Dolphins. Not saying they are not a very solid team that is up and coming w/ an absolutely dynamic coach. If they were in the NFC, they'd have a better chance. They are in the better conference against some tried and true teams though.

Hey G*****, I ended up getting Maroney in my draft...keeper league so it's more of a "for the future" pick. How much do I have to pay you to go "Gillooly" on Corey Dillon's knee though?