Is Project Blowed crap? Discuss!

Comments

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    hi cashless.

thanks for the drops.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hi cashless.
    Thanks for the drops.

they sucked IMO. Hopefully they're useful.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hi Jason.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This idea that Project Blowed has never reached blacks outside of Cali is way too simplistically haterific.

First, you'd have to ignore/erase/discount all of the black fans outside of Cali that they in fact do have, be them backpacker types or not.

Second, you'd have to disregard that many of the double-timed rhyme styles that Good Life/Project Blowed MC's helped pioneer spread throughout the country moreso by word of mouth than by a particular record blowing up. During the early 90's just about every rapper in the country was looking westward in order to formulate their next plan of attack. Yes, Twista was doing similar stuff up in Chicago...but all eyes weren't on Chicago back then like they were on LA. If you know anything about black culture in America you know that trends spread BEFORE they become commercialized. Plus compounding the natural spread of these styles between people travelling and interacting with each other, labels were straight up sending A&R spies to the Good Life circa '91-'94.

Third, when you say that playing Project Blowed records for an all black audience in Houston wouldn't work...how do you know that? Sure, if you played Aceyalone's B-Boy Beal McCoy it would get scoffed at the same way that a Mos Def or Common song would get scoffed at. But have you ever tried playing a CVE, Hip Hop Kclan, or Big Arch track that would fit within the context of underground Down South rap? DJ's in Texas are currently playing the same bullshit act in reference to Bay Area hyphy music...acting like an E-40 or Keak da Sneak song wouldn't pass even though they refuse to even test it out to see if what they are suspecting is actually true. Volume 10 has proved that PB music has the potential to reach the furthest depths of an all-black audience...and there is plenty of other PB music of that same ilk that people insist on ignoring. Menace Clan was signed by Rap-A-Lot outta the Good Life and their biggest song was produced by none other than Scarface. Are you saying that a Houston crowd wouldn't accept that? I firmly believe that even today if Texas Screw-types were exposed to the Badstads Biggest of the Baddest album that they would eat it up with a spoon. In fact, any time I've played that for such folks they've gone bonkers over it.

Anyway, the pigeonholing of Project Blowed as only one type of not-catering-to-black-audiences rap is some absolute bullshit created by haters who hold a grudge against PB for whatever lame reason. You close your ears to anything that clearly would prove your hating-ass contentions wrong, and then rely on 5 others who have done the same to back you up. Yet I'm the lying cheerleader.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Maybe you need some outside commentary to sort your head out. Were PB NEVER popular with black kids?

No, they weren't, not outside of their immediate geographical area--sorry to scuff up the turf of your private mindgarden, but this is a fact.

Archaic assures us all that they have or have had a very loyal black audience in LA and not having lived there I'm not in a position to argue with him, but--despite having had various of their projects distributed by major labels--they have failed entirely to attract a black audience elsewhere.

The person in Atlanta that introduced me to PB was the white professional body piercer that pierced my nose when I was 17 and for a long time she was just about the only PB fan that I knew. I'd say she's pretty representative of their fanbase.

• ProvenIdiot:

Why do i get the unnerving feeling from some members on SS, that anything that has intelligence & is black made is a bad thing & thaat anything ignorant & black is a good thing...[/b]

There's a lot of bad stereotyping in this thread in regards to racial listening patterns. Mostly by people on the wrong side of the fence talking about the other colours listening habits.

If you can't see how fucked up you are in regards to the above quote, then I pity you. You love to big up so-called "conscious hip-hop" and probably have a hip-hop elements card with at least three holes punched in it (would that leave one or two to go?). It seems that you equate music popular with actual Black Americans as "ignorant," while what you and friends down under like is "real hip-hop." You do realize that inherent racism in that implication, do you not?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I never heard of them until I came to SS.

Not that many people that don't frequent the various hip-hop message boards on whcih Archaic spreads his gospel have.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Not that many people that don't frequent the various hip-hop message boards on whcih Archaic spreads his gospel have.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    In Philly the only people who were into anything PB related were like acid-jazz heads, and their intrest began and ended with Freestyle Fellowship. They were also mostly black folk, but this was in like the "alternative" club, dig? Outside of the acid-jazz club nobody heard of them. It wasn't until YEARS later that kids started bringing up the Aceyalone albums, and those kids were like white art school students.

This idea that Project Blowed has never reached blacks outside of Cali is way too simplistically haterific.

First, you'd have to ignore/erase/discount all of the black fans outside of Cali that they in fact do have, be them backpacker types or not.

Second, you'd have to disregard that many of the double-timed rhyme styles that Good Life/Project Blowed MC's helped pioneer spread throughout the country moreso by word of mouth than by a particular record blowing up. During the early 90's just about every rapper in the country was looking westward in order to formulate their next plan of attack. Yes, Twista was doing similar stuff up in Chicago...but all eyes weren't on Chicago back then like they were on LA. If you know anything about black culture in America you know that trends spread BEFORE they become commercialized. Plus compounding the natural spread of these styles between people travelling and interacting with each other, labels were straight up sending A&R spies to the Good Life circa '91-'94.

Third, when you say that playing Project Blowed records for an all black audience in Houston wouldn't work...how do you know that? Sure, if you played Aceyalone's B-Boy Beal McCoy it would get scoffed at the same way that a Mos Def or Common song would get scoffed at. But have you ever tried playing a CVE, Hip Hop Kclan, or Big Arch track that would fit within the context of underground Down South rap? DJ's in Texas are currently playing the same bullshit act in reference to Bay Area hyphy music...acting like an E-40 or Keak da Sneak song wouldn't pass even though they refuse to even test it out to see if what they are suspecting is actually true. Volume 10 has proved that PB music has the potential to reach the furthest depths of an all-black audience...and there is plenty of other PB music of that same ilk that people insist on ignoring. Menace Clan was signed by Rap-A-Lot outta the Good Life and their biggest song was produced by none other than Scarface. Are you saying that a Houston crowd wouldn't accept that? I firmly believe that even today if Texas Screw-types were exposed to the Badstads Biggest of the Baddest album that they would eat it up with a spoon. In fact, any time I've played that for such folks they've gone bonkers over it.

Anyway, the pigeonholing of Project Blowed as only one type of not-catering-to-black-audiences rap is some absolute bullshit created by haters who hold a grudge against PB for whatever lame reason. You close your ears to anything that clearly would prove your hating-ass contentions wrong, and then rely on 5 others who have done the same to back you up. Yet I'm the lying cheerleader.

So you're saying there's this big invisible Black listenership to PB outside of Cali? Stop lying, cheerleader. Nice spin, but it's bullshit.

On your second point, really stop that shit. We're all sick of it. No matter how hard you try, you're not gonna reshape rap history on message boards. Only Idiotproof believes you at this point.

Thirdly, Who the hell are you to tell me how to run my or any dj's game?!!

Man, I've played PB to an all Black crowd before. hahaha, you're an idiot. Supherb's 90210 (or whatever the fuck) was my cut back in the day. Real slow for the slow set, it cleared the floor. Volume 10 is a MONSTER even today, BUT it really only hits HARD when Dogs are in the house. If there's no Dogs, it dies out after the first verse. And Pistolgrip's popularity with the QDogs or the Black college set is based on ONE simple fact, IT SAMPLES "ATOMIC DOG" (Omega Psi Phi's real theme song)[/b]. But you prolly don't know enough about Black frat culture to speak on it.

Hyphy DOES actually work in clubs in Houston. I played it last friday as a matter of fact. It's not a banger, but it's good filler. Tell me when to go, I know will work but I haven't tested it out yet. Wait... I'm off point.. STFU TOO ARCHAIC!!!

So you're saying there's this big invisible Black listenership to PB outside of Cali? Stop lying, cheerleader. Nice spin, but it's bullshit.

Stop denying Archaic's psychic connection to the massive yet invisible Black listenership that has embraced Project Blowed!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    But have you ever tried playing a CVE, Hip Hop Kclan, or Big Arch track that would fit within the context of underground Down South rap?

point blank.

Most of their beats are shitty. Down South, we like beats that hit. You could make a strong argument for their limber lyrical acrobatical stylings... but no one is trying to hear that shit in a club over some unmastered shitty sounding beats with no thump.

just sayin.

pistol grip pump was an exception to the rule and his own album. (and it was over 10 years ago.)

why am i even here?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This thread is starting to implode on itself. Check it out.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The person in Atlanta that introduced me to PB was the white professional body piercer that pierced my nose when I was 17 and for a long time she was just about the only PB fan that I knew. I'd say she's pretty representative of their fanbase

can we stop arguing about project blowed long enough to consider faux with a nose piercing?

The person in Atlanta that introduced me to PB was the white professional body piercer that pierced my nose when I was 17 and for a long time she was just about the only PB fan that I knew. I'd say she's pretty representative of their fanbase

can we stop arguing about project blowed long enough to consider faux with a nose piercing?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

do the ratchet.

ooh. cashless.

BEAT ME TO IT! DAMN!

do the ratchet.

ooh. cashless.

MAN!!! That shit goes EXTRA hard!!! It get ZERO radio play, not even in the mix, but it EXPLODES in the club.

I'm gonna have more in a minute for ya. Got people going to Shreveport at the end of this month.

:hard::hard::hard::hard::hard::hard:

In Philly the only people who were into anything PB related were like acid-jazz heads, and their intrest began and ended with Freestyle Fellowship. They were also mostly black folk, but this was in like the "alternative" club, dig? Outside of the acid-jazz club nobody heard of them. It wasn't until YEARS later that kids started bringing up the Aceyalone albums, and those kids were like white art school students.

Thanks for the input...but I love how noone admits to knowing anyone who was ever into Kurupt or RBX or Volume 10.

The cover of CVE's Declassified cd has a photo of Bushwick Bill hanging out at the Blowed.

Menace Clan signed with Rap-A-Lot and their biggest song was produced by Scarface.

Meen Green did a song with Pimp C.

Ganjah K, DK Toon, I Smooth 7, Lil Juggsta, Section 8 Mob (Dolla Holla), etc. are among many OG Good Lifers who were without question of the gangsta rapper ilk.

Again, these MC's were good enough to have Dr. Dre, Bushwick Bill, Scarface, and Pimp C as fans...but somehow they're not black/gangsta enough for Soulstrut.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The subject of this thread is "Is Project Blowed Crap?" not "Is Project Blowed Black?"

peace

h

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

^which ones lil juggsta?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Thanks for the input...but I love how noone admits to knowing anyone who was ever into Kurupt or RBX or Volume 10.

The cover of CVE's Declassified cd has a photo of Bushwick Bill hanging out at the Blowed.

Menace Clan signed with Rap-A-Lot and their biggest song was produced by Scarface.

Ganjah K, DK Toon, I Smooth 7, Lil Juggsta, Section 8 Mob (Dolla Holla), etc. are among many OG Good Lifers who were without question of the gangsta rapper ilk.

Again, these MC's were good enough to have Dr. Dre, Bushwick Bill, Scarface, and Pimp C as fans...but somehow they're not black/gangsta enough for Soulstrut.

Saying, dog. Us folk in Philly just weren't checking for these cats, so I can't really say nothing. Never heard of most of them cats.

Kurupt is from Philly though, dog. Saying, I once had him freestyle at my club over the DITC "Day One" rhythm.

While I know people that will say that they're good, YOU are the ONLY person that I have ever heard that is "into" any of these guys.

And MF?!! The hell is that supposed to say? So an obviously bi-polar psychotic little person that walk around with his clothes on backwards carrying a Chucky doll everywhere he goes give PB some cred with Black America?!! Black America ain't even checking for ChuckWick!!!

While that song was jamming, it never hit with ANYBODY!!!

And MF?!!! Pay me and I'll do a song with Green. Nah, can't lie, Green's good people.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Again, these MC's were good enough to have Dr. Dre, Bushwick Bill, Scarface, and Pimp C as recipients of checks ...but somehow they're not tepid enough for Soulstrut.

Nobody that was ever into Kurupt or RBX was into them because of their Blowed or Goodlife affilliation... or even knew about it, really. There is certainly nothing about DPG-era Kurupt that screams Project Blowed. Try again.

But have you ever tried playing a CVE, Hip Hop Kclan, or Big Arch track that would fit within the context of underground Down South rap?

point blank.

Most of their beats are shitty. Down South, we like beats that hit. You could make a strong argument for their limber lyrical acrobatical stylings... but no one is trying to hear that shit in a club over some unmastered shitty sounding beats with no thump.

just sayin.

pistol grip pump was an exception to the rule and his own album. (and it was over 10 years ago.)

why am i even here?

When I say they'd fit, it's the beats I'm talking about. Recent tracks like CVE's Bobblehead and/or Hip Hop Kclan's Sounds Like would work just fine.

But even going back in time a bit, I dare anyone to listen to the Bastads' Biggest of the Baddest album (the beats of which having came from CVE's Portrait of a Serial Chiller) and tell me that it doesn't bump.

I really don't understand why there is music out there that is right up y'all's established alley that y'all do everything you can to deny it. Diplo travels to Brazil for beats...but y'all can't even order a cd online or over the phone.

but y'all can't even order a cd online or over the phone.

PB's disconnection from the streets revealed.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Noz and cashless are killing it.

-e

There is certainly nothing about DPG-era Kurupt that screams Project Blowed.

That's only because you know next to nothing about what PB actually is. That whole freestyle orientation of both Kurupt AND Snoop was not just a generalized LA thing...but something that had been cemented by the Good Life...a place that Kurupt was known to frequent.

The separation that y'all want to wedge between the plentiful g-rappers who attended the Good Life and the g-funk that was dominating the rap world based out of LA is a farce.

For No Reason and Six Tray by PEACE on the first 2 Fellowship albums are as gangsta as anything anywhere...yet y'all want to portray them as white-feeding granola rappers only. Y'all couldn't be more wrong...and it's disgusting that y'all insist on reveling in being so wrong.